Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free paced mile Phoenix Park July 18th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not all track meets are graded meets. Check out bhaa.ie for example. Open to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not all track meets are graded meets. Check out bhaa.ie for example. Open to anyone.

Lads, this topic is not about graded meets and let's get back to the subject of paced mile.

Will repeat again, this is great idea and would love to see it as a race series. Fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    To enter graded meeting you must be a member of a club...do not see much point in paying +100e for that pleasure as I train on my own when I have spare time.

P.s. 5min is not even fast.

I never said it was fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

A sub 5 min mile might not be considered fast in Athletic circles, but it is beyond the reach of the vast majority of people who are out at the road races these days, at the park runs etc. and no let's not open up that discussion again, I am just saying that very few of the running population will ever achieve a sub 5 min mile. It's bloody fast as far as most are concerned. Try 1 lap of sub 75 seconds and repeat by 4 ! ...if this guy can run a 5 min mile then by my reckoning he can do 5k in sub17 , which is really good club standard. So why is he not in a club ?

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    Lads, this topic is not about graded meets and let's get back to the subject of paced mile.

Will repeat again, this is great idea and would love to see it as a race series. Fair play to all involved.

:confused:

Was it not your good self who brought up the subject of graded meets? All I'm saying is there are track events open to non club members.

I agree this is a good idea. Might do it myself next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Murph_D wrote: »
    :confused:

Was it not your good self who brought up the subject of graded meets? All I'm saying is there are track events open to non club members.

I agree this is a good idea. Might do it myself next week.

This is a weekly event? Is it specifically trying to target the joggers/beginners? Would be very handy for us track fairies to have the odd timed mile during the off season every so often! Abit like the park runs. However unless the numbers improve I'd question the economics of it, precision timing don't time for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

PVincent wrote: »
    .if this guy can run a 5 min mile then by my reckoning he can do 5k in sub17 , which is really good club standard. So why is he not in a club ?

No, that's not right. The equivalent of a 5-minute mile is 17:21 according to MacMillan.

To be honest I thought the equivalent 5k time would be even slower

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Hi, I attended as a spectator/cheerleader ..my 11 year old and 9 year old and wife ran it. It was a very nice idea, and probably a pity that through (I'm guessing) a slightly casual and half-hearted approach to promotion, it was not as well attended as it deserved to be. I'm sure everyone who went enjoyed it and got a positive expereinece and the pacers and helpers were excellent, very good natured and helpful and friendly.

(They forgot to turn the clock on when the run started so I wouldnt be looking for a list of results, the first finishers were called through on my watch whiich I put on at the start for my own guys and later finishers were timed off a pacer who left his watch on when he finished).

Btw my kids were the ONLY kids that ran ( 6.47 and 7.23 respectively) which was a bit of a shame I think..others will disagree perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

No, that's not right. The equivalent of a 5-minute mile is 17:21 according to MacMillan.

To be honest I thought the equivalent 5k time would be even slower

Very subjective 2bh. Depends on age, level of fitness etc. I know plenty of teenagers who would run likes of 4.40 but struggle to break 17 ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Seems that there is a series of these paced mile events planned for the next few Saturday mornings, July 18th, 25th, Aug 1st, 8th.

http://phoenixpark.ie/media/Events 2015.pdf
    Anybody hear anything more about any more of these mile events?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

http://irishrunner.com/phoenix-park-paced-miles/

Looks like they did have a 5 min pacer after all. :P

Looks like a well run if slightly under attended event from the pics. Might give it a go in the AM.

Advertisement