Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free paced mile Phoenix Park July 18th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Might head along to this myself. Aquinn flagged it to me earlier, something I've also wanted to do for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great idea. I like the way they link the relevance of running a fast mile to long distance running as a way to bring recreational runners in to shorter distances. Would be nicer if it was on a track though as track running would benefit more from it, with some people getting the bug for it. By having it in the park this won't happen, but obviously easier from a logistical point of view.

The +33 seconds for 5k pace is very random and is bad advice. No way somebody who runs a 10 min mile can run 10:33 pace for 3.1 miles. Goodybags and certificates a bit unnecessary too, but I guess that's what motivates some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Will there be beers???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Will there be beers???

We could bring our own and drink them in the bushes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Beer mile was last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

It's a great idea. Gives a wide range of abilities a shot at the classic distance. I'm in, I've never ran a paced mile before.

Any info about the route? I'm guessing the flat stretch of Chesterfield avenue between the phoenix monument and the roundabout, where the great Ireland mile is held.

I would love to see a 5:00 pace added if it runs again. Maybe not as much uptake as some of the other times, but would be great to try even if you were to blow up halfway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not sure where to shoot for, if I go for this. Personal fastest, mile 6:42 was as part of a longer 8km run. Fastest 5km is 21:58 again as part of a faster run. Not sure there is too much to shave off here. Might be worth it just to have a certified mile.

Not sure where to shoot for, if I go for this. Personal fastest, mile 6:42 was as part of a longer 8km run. Fastest 5km is 21:58 again as part of a faster run. Not sure there is too much to shave off here. Might be worth it just to have a certified mile.

I'd try go for the 6 minute one. If you feel good at half way, push on. You could try go for the sub 5:30 one, but may be a bit of a stretch given your 5K time, unless you are naturally a short distance runner.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'd try go for the 6 minute one. If you feel good at half way, push on. You could try go for the sub 5:30 one, but may be a bit of a stretch given your 5K time, unless you are naturally a short distance runner.

Won't go for the 5:30 anyway. Will suggest that one to a friend who ran 18:XX in the 5k colour dash. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Love the idea of this but doing the Race Series Fingal 10k 24 hours later. How much would running the mile impact on the 10k, do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

anyone know how it works ..will it be one run with everyone included , starting in time zones...or a different run for each time category...or a number of mixed runs one after another ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Ooh I am tempted...have never run a mile (as a target distance) - no clue what time to aim for though. Based on a recent half marathon McMillian suggests that I should aim for 8:08 where as Jack Daniels vDot suggests 10 min. :confused:

If I decide to do it, do I split the difference and try a shot with the 9 min mile folk?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Love the idea of this but doing the Race Series Fingal 10k 24 hours later. How much would running the mile impact on the 10k, do you think?

Seems that there is a series of these paced mile events planned for the next few Saturday mornings, July 18th, 25th, Aug 1st, 8th.

http://phoenixpark.ie/media/Events 2015.pdf

So if you're worried, maybe focus on the race series for this weekend and do the mile the next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Seems that there is a series of these paced mile events planned for the next few Saturday mornings, July 18th, 25th, Aug 1st, 8th.

http://phoenixpark.ie/media/Events 2015.pdf

oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

oh!

+1....oh really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Why no 5 minute option?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Why no 5 minute option?

Maybe they couldn't get a pacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

spaceylou wrote: »
    Ooh I am tempted...have never run a mile (as a target distance) - no clue what time to aim for though. Based on a recent half marathon McMillian suggests that I should aim for 8:08 where as Jack Daniels vDot suggests 10 min. :confused:

If I decide to do it, do I split the difference and try a shot with the 9 min mile folk?

I'd double check the Vdot figure as it doesn't seem right (make sure you click on the 'equivalent' tab to get the right mile estimate). It defaults to 'race pace' which would not be the figure you need. I'm guessing 8 min mile is the one to shoot for :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Why no 5 minute option?

Hard to find a pacer at that level, as has been said. Also this is for recreational runners. There's plenty of mile races around for club runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hard to find a pacer at that level, as has been said. Also this is for recreational runners. There's plenty of mile races around for club runners.

I can do it on a bike if that helps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    I can do it if that helps?

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Firedance wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

There is no hiding around here. Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I'd double check the Vdot figure as it doesn't seem right (make sure you click on the 'equivalent' tab to get the right mile estimate). It defaults to 'race pace' which would not be the figure you need. I'm guessing 8 min mile is the one to shoot for :D

Yes, I didn't click the equivalent tab...doh!

Vdot, still has slower prediction than McM at 8:29 so that could be the fall back plan....I wonder what the deadline for signing up is? :cool:

Small enough numbers doing this today, I reckon only 50-60 people. Disappointing given its novelty value for non-club members such as me, and that it was free. But I suppose understandable given that it was the first of its kind, and it was the day before the race series 10k. Hopefully word will spread, and the next event will draw bigger numbers. The organisers said to keep an eye on the Irish runner website for details of future events. Anybody else here do it?

Big spread of paces, the fastest guys came in about 5:10 or just under. Thank you to the pacers.

Didn't make it myself after all. I was up all night with a cough. Will get out another week to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Small enough numbers doing this today, I reckon only 50-60 people. Disappointing given its novelty value for non-club members such as me, and that it was free. But I suppose understandable given that it was the first of its kind, and it was the day before the race series 10k. Hopefully word will spread, and the next event will draw bigger numbers. The organisers said to keep an eye on the Irish runner website for details of future events. Anybody else here do it?

Big spread of paces, the fastest guys came in about 5:10 or just under. Thank you to the pacers.

Don't suppose there is a results page anywhere? It is a great idea, would love to see it catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

Likewise. Great idea and waiting for 5min pace added on.

Hopefully it will develope into race series.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Don't suppose there is a results page anywhere?

Don't think so. Although Precision timing provided the clock, start/finish gantry, and race numbers (as well as a pacer or two).

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    Likewise. Great idea and waiting for 5min pace added on.

Hopefully it will develope into race series.

If you are after sub 5 then why not just enter a mile race on the track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

To enter graded meeting you must be a member of a club...do not see much point in paying +100e for that pleasure as I train on my own when I have spare time.

P.s. 5min is not even fast.

Advertisement