Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

just saw this on the sports collision websites in the top right hand corner
    Admittedly , i think that means , for every click on the website, but still , hey , not bad

"Page Hits: 27008"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Missed a few PQs and similar things of late (blame, of all things, Hand&Foot&Mouth disease), so here's the Omnibus Catch-up Post...

Tuesday, 18 November 2014
    Mattie McGrath (Tipperary South, Independent)
    311. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the efforts her Department has made to amend legislation governing firearm ownership particularly around revoking all existing .22 and 9 mm firearms licences; if there are proposals by her Department or An Garda Síochána to delete Annex F of the Garda Commissioner’s guidelines; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [44326/14]

Fergus O'Dowd (Louth, Fine Gael)
    312. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will respond to an issue (details supplied ) regarding firearms licensing; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [44335/14]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I propose to take Questions Nos. 311 and 312 together.

In light of public safety concernshighlighted by An Garda Síochána and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the judiciary, a joint Department of Justice and Equality/An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by my Department to review firearms licensing. The Report of this Working Group was published on 13 November and submissionson the Report have been sought from stakeholders andthe public during a one month consultation period until 15 December. This process gives individuals and groups an opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation.

The Garda Commissioner has made a decision, with Ministerial consent, to issue new Garda Guidelines on the Firearms Acts which exclude the former Annex F of the guidelines. The interpretation of the previous Annex F had caused serious difficulties and confusion in regard to applications for firearm certificates for .22 calibre handguns and has resulted in over 30 Judicial Review applications to date. The Commissioner made this decision to issue new Guidelines, without Annex F, on foot of consultations with the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) and Counsel for the State regarding Judicial Review applications on the licensing of .22 calibre handguns. There have been no changes to either primary or secondary legislation as a result of amending these guidelines. A more general revision of the Garda Guidelines will be carried out in light of the outcomes of the public consultation on the review of firearms licensing.

From the Seanad:
    Tuesday, 25 November 2014
    Paddy Burke (Cathaoirleach of Seanad; Fine Gael)
    I have also received notice from Senator Paschal Mooney of the following matter:

The need for the Minister for Justice and Equality (i) to meet representatives of the sports coalition to discuss the review of legislation dealing with firearms and (ii) to comment on allegations that Garda inspectors in some parts of the country are denying licence applications under section F of the Garda Commissioner's guidelines.

I regard the matters raised by Senators Mary Ann O'Brien, Mary Moran, Paschal Mooney, Lorraine Higgins, Colm Burke and Thomas Byrne as suitable for discussion on the Adjournment. I have selected the matters raised by Senators O'Brien, Moran, Mooney and Higgins, and they will be taken at the conclusion of business.
    And the debate itself:
    Paschal Mooney (Fianna Fail)

I welcome the Minister of State, but I am disappointed that the Minister for Justice and Equality, Deputy Fitzgerald, is not present to take this particular motion on the Adjournment. Earlier today many Members of both Houses visited a lobby organised by the sports coalition in Buswell's Hotel, across the road from the House. In the course of the presentations made by various individuals, led by the very able CEO of the National Association of Regional Game Councils, Des Crofton, it became apparent that this is a serious issue.

The wording of the motion is slightly incorrect in that "Garda inspectors" should actually read "Garda superintendents" and the reference to section F of the Garda Commissioner's guidelines should actually refer to annex F of the Garda Commissioner's guidelines. These are my errors, not those of the Seanad office.

I also wish to declare an interest in that I am a nominee of the National Association of Regional Game Councils, so I have more than a passing interest in their activities.

I and other colleagues at this meeting listened to words like "offensive to sports enthusiasts across the country", to "lack of confidence in the Garda Síochána", and "using the argument of defending the country against criminal elements", which made that comment even more deeply offensive to sports enthusiasts. Anybody would have to respond to it and find out exactly what is going on.

At the core of this is a strong sentiment among the sports coalition that the Garda is out to get it. It has no confidence in the Garda because of ongoing and recurrent court cases and appeals against gun licence applications through the years, which are still before the High Court, and because the Garda itself has initiated this review of the firearms Acts, with the acquiescence of a pliant Department of Justice and Equality, to target sports enthusiasts by using the cover of criminal elements. It referred, for example, to the 1,000 plus guns that have been recovered by the Garda Síochána, implying that these had come from the sports community when in fact it was pointed out to us that most of these guns had been stolen from gun dealers and in other cases they were discarded guns, and also that every licensed gun owner in this country is legally obliged to report stolen guns anyway. The point was also made that the Criminal Justice Act 2006 covered many of the instances that are now being raised again by the Garda in terms of protection of the general public and laid out the criteria which must be complied with by licensed gun owners, which gun owners are doing and have been doing at considerable cost to themselves.

The most insidious part of this has been the allegation that Garda superintendents in some parts of the country are denying licence applications under annex F of the Garda Commissioner's guidelines. This means, in effect, that they have evidence - and they have named the individuals concerned in correspondence to the Minister for Justice and Equality - that applications for 0.22 small-bore gun licences have been turned down by Garda superintendents in certain parts of the country, using the excuse that a change in the law is imminent when there is no evidence to indicate that this is the case.

The review has not even got to that point. The line I emphasise strongly is that despite continuous engagement between Mr. Des Crofton, representing the sports coalition, and the Department of Justice and Equality, until very recently the latter was paying lip service to the concept of consultation. It has now agreed that there will be further consultation but this must be real and not just submissions. It must be face-to-face meetings across the table with the people who are most relevant in the argument and who will be impacted to a larger extent than the general public if the review recommendations are to be implemented.

The bottom line is that there is no need for the review to take place in the context of attempting to protect the general community from criminal elements. It is a spurious argument and the sports coalition, if given the opportunity to have face-to-face engagement with the Minister, would be more than happy to point out the reasons that is. It is being used by gardaí who the sports coalition believes are trying to get their own back on sports enthusiasts across the country for taking the Garda Síochána to court in various instances. The Garda continues to have to face court action over gardaí going into the witness box to give evidence that, within the context of Seanad privilege, I note is questionable.

Seán Sherlock (Cork East, Labour)

On behalf of the Minister for Justice and Equality, who sends her apologies, I thank Senator Paschal Mooney for raising the issue today. As he may be aware, in light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the Judiciary, a joint working group of the Department of Justice and Equality and the Garda was established to review the firearms licensing process. I appreciate that states the obvious, but it is important to record it in the House. The report of the working group was published on 13 November and submissions on the report have been sought from stakeholders and the public. The deadline for the receipt of submissions is 31 January 2015. The consultation process provides individuals and groups with the opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation. The Minister, Deputy Fitzgerald, has already given a commitment not to make any decision until she has had the opportunity to consider all the submissions which are made and met the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. The Minister urges all concerned to engage with this process so that their views can be considered before final decisions are made in relation to this matter.

In so far as the issue of the Garda Commissioner's guidelines is concerned, I understand the Senator is referring to annex F of same on the practical application and operation of the Firearms Acts. The Garda Commissioner has made a decision with ministerial consent to issue new Garda guidelines on the Firearms Acts which exclude the former annex F. The interpretation of the previous annex F had caused difficulties and confusion in regard to applications for firearm certificates for .22 calibre handguns and has resulted in more than 30 judicial review applications to date. The Senator has made reference to this state of affairs. There have been no changes to either primary or secondary legislation as a result of amending the guidelines.

Deciding officers in An Garda Síochána have been formally notified this month that all applications for licences for non-restricted handguns shall be considered under the current legislation which is SI 21 of 2008, as amended by SI 337 of 2009. Interest groups, including representatives of the sports coalition, were notified earlier this month of both the new Garda guidelines without annex F and the current position that, in effect, a negative decision for a licence for .22 calibre handgun is a refusal of the application which allows for an appeal of that decision to the District Court.

To summarise a key point on behalf of the Minister, I note that no decision will be made on the matter until such time as she has had an opportunity to consider the submissions and has met the key stakeholders.

Paschal Mooney (Fianna Fail)

I thank the Minister of State who is representing the Minister for Justice and Equality and acknowledge that this is not an area within his brief. Having said that, I am reassured to some extent that at least it is on the record now that the Minister will meet the key stakeholders, including the organisations I mentioned, which is a significant step forward. Correspondence with the Minister as recently as August was not replied to other than by way of an acknowledgement of receipt. It was not until phone calls were made in the last week to ten days that the Minister has conceded on this point. At least it has now been put on the record.

My understanding is that the deletion of annex F means the entire guidelines are not being activated, which could have a serious impact in terms of firearms activity. The formal notification of An Garda Síochána this month that all applications shall be considered under the current legislation is a vital and important step forward given the allegations I raised in my earlier submission whereby they were being turned down on the basis that legislation was imminent. That was plainly an untruth. The Minister of State made the point that negative decisions on a licence application constitute a refusal which may be appealed to the District Court. It will be interesting to see the reasons for refusals of handgun licences.

We are talking here about sporting enthusiasts not criminal elements and that is the difficulty the sporting organisations are feeling and why they consider certain terminology offensive. They are the most compliant people in our society and they are acutely aware of their responsibilities given that they have to handle a wide variety of potentially lethal weapons. The suggestion that the review is being introduced on foot of criminal reasons is considered by the sporting organisations as an attack on them. I hope the Minister will have the opportunity to dissuade them from that point of view when she meets them.

Seán Sherlock (Cork East, Labour)

I concur with the points being made by the Senator. I represent an urban-rural constituency and have held a shotgun in my time for the same purposes as many people who live in rural Ireland in respect of countryside pursuits. While I concur with the view that the perception within the lobby that there has been a heavy-handed approach must be addressed, I take in good faith the words of the Minister when she says she will sit down with the stakeholders. It is something everyone on the Government side of the House has advocated.

In fairness, the Senator has mentioned Mr. Des Crofton. Mr. Crofton's organisation is prodigious and consists of upstanding citizens. I know these people myself and have engaged and interacted with them. The Senator mentioned the 2006 Act and if one looks at the way in which Mr. Crofton and company have interacted with the 2009 Act, there is no doubt but that they have acted absolutely in good faith and continue to do so. It is in all of our interests to chart a course that ensures there is a successful outcome and that we recognise the value of these lobbies within Irish society.

Fergus O'Dowd (Louth, Fine Gael)
    262. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on an issue raised in correspondence (details supplied) regarding firearms; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [44800/14]

Michael Lowry (Tipperary North, Independent)
    266. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will engage with interest groups in relation to the publication last week of the report on firearms licensing; if she will meet the interest groups in question without delay; if her attention has been drawn to the fact that if the recommendations are enacted as per the report they will penalise legitimate and law abiding individuals who currently hold guns legally for hunting and sporting reasons; if she will provide a guarantee that legitimate firearm holders for the purposes of sport and hunting will be provided for by any legislation in this regards; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [44913/14]

Willie O'Dea (Limerick City, Fianna Fail)
    267. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will implement the recommendations of her Department's An Garda Síochána working group on review of firearms and licensing; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [44915/14]

Willie Penrose (Longford-Westmeath, Labour)
    274. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will confirm having received the correspondence from an organisation (details supplied); if in that context she will ensure real and meaningful consultations take place in order to enable these organisations input into the review of the firearms legislation pertaining to this area; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45029/14]

Seán Fleming (Laois-Offaly, Fianna Fail)
    279. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will facilitate a meeting between her Department and interested parties as part of the consultation process arising from the publication of the working group report in the area of firearms licensing, rather than interested parties only being allowed written submissions as part of this process; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45109/14]

Willie Penrose (Longford-Westmeath, Labour)
    296. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will ensure that meaningful consultation will take place in the context of the review of the firearm licensing legislation and that such consultation would be meaningful in the context where it already appears that the removal of Annexe F of the Garda Commissioners Guidelines has been approved as an outcome of a review notwithstanding that would only involve a very small group of target pistol shooters in the country and in further context where the changes to firearms legislation are so wide-ranging that every clay pigeon shooter, rifle shooter and ordinary farmer would be impacted upon; if she will take steps to ensure that a meaningful opportunity will be provided to organisations who represent these licence holders will have their views listened to in a proper consultative way; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45384/14]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I propose to take Questions Nos. 262, 266, 267, 274, 279 and 296 together.

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the Judiciary, a joint Department of Justice and Equality/An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by my Department to review firearms licensing. The Report of this Working Group was published on 13 November and submissions on the Report have been sought from stakeholders and the public by 31 January 2015. The consultation process gives individuals and groups an opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation.

I have already given a commitment that I will not make any final decisions until I have had the opportunity to consider all the submissions which are made and I subsequently meet the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. I would now urge all concerned to engage with this process so that the views of all concerned can be considered before final decisions are made in relation to this matter.

The Garda Commissioner has made a decision, with Ministerial consent, to issue new Garda Guidelines on the Firearms Acts which exclude the former Annexe F of the guidelines. The interpretation of the previous Annexe F had caused serious difficulties and confusion in regard to applications for firearm certificates for .22 calibre handguns and has resulted in over 30 Judicial Review applications to date. The Commissioner made this decision to issue new Guidelines, without Annexe F, on foot of consultations with the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) and Counsel for the State regarding Judicial Review applications on the licensing of .22 calibre handguns. There have been no changes to either primary or secondary legislation as a result of amending these guidelines. A more general revision of the Garda Guidelines will be carried out in light of the outcomes of the public consultation on the review of firearms licensing.

Niall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail)
    290. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will provide in tabular form from 2010 to date in 2014 the number of gun licence applications refused by An Garda Síochána; the number of those refusals which were appealed to the courts; the number of those applications which were successful in the courts; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45288/14]

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report on the matter insofar as An Garda Síochána are concerned and will write to the Deputy when it becomes available.

The Courts Service has advised that the information related to District Court cases is not readily available and could only be retrieved by way of a manual examination of each individual court record. As I am sure the Deputy will appreciate, this would require the expenditure of a disproportionate amount of staff time and resources which cannot be justified.
    Niall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail)
    289. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will provide in tabular form the number of incidents where a crime has been committed utilising a licensed gun as a weapon from 2010 to date in 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45287/14]

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report on this matter and will write to the Deputy when it becomes available, although the Deputy will appreciate that guns utilised in the commission of offences are often not recovered and, accordingly, it is not possible to determine the provenance of the weapons.

Tuesday, 2 December 2014
    Michael Healy-Rae (Kerry South, Independent)
    344. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if crime statistics are quoted when referring to legally held firearms being put forward; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46187/14]

346. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on comments made regarding the review of the firearms licensing proposals (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46192/14]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 344 and 346 together.

I take it the Deputy is referring to the following passages from my Department's recently published Review of Firearms Licensing report:
    "An Garda Síochána recorded 2,198 incidents involving a firearm between 2009 and February 2014. An Garda Síochána have also advised that between 2009 and 2013 there were 96 murders and one case of manslaughter recorded in which firearms were used.

In many such cases it is impossible to say (due to the fact that the firearm is often not recovered) whether the firearms used were firearms that had been licensed and subsequently stolen from their owners or whether the firearms were never in fact licensed. A total of 1,134 firearms have been reported stolen from their owners in the period 2010 to 2013 inclusive, of which 355 were stolen in 2013. A further 159 firearms have been reported lost in the same four year period, 53 of which were reported lost in 2013. The concerns of An Garda Síochána are also based in part on a forward looking assessment of the dangers of an atrocity being carried out with weapons primarily designed to kill human beings, as has unfortunately happened in other jurisdictions."

I think it is fair to say that this text from the report - which is based on information from An Garda Síochána - does not impugn law-abiding owners of licensed firearms in any way.
    347. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on court cases taken against the Garda in respect of the administration of the Firearm Act (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46193/14]

The Deputy will appreciate that firearms legislation provides for an appeal to the District Court where a firearms licence has been refused by An Garda Síochána. In addition, there have been a number of judicial review cases in this area in the context of persons whose applications for firearms licences have been refused.

The licensing of firearms is a Garda operational matter and each application is judged on its own individual merits and the decision on whether, or not, to grant a firearm certificate rests solely with the issuing person. The decision of the issuing person cannot be fettered in any way and I have no role in the matter. My paramount concern in this area is public safety. As the Deputy is aware, in light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the judiciary, a joint Department of Justice and Equality / An Garda Síochána Working Group was established to review firearms licensing. The Report of this Working Group was published on 13 November and submissions on the Report have been sought from stakeholders and the public. The deadline for receipt of submissions is the 31st of January 2015.

The consultation process gives individuals and groups an opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation. I have already given a commitment that I will not make any final decisions until I have had the opportunity to consider all the submissions which are made and I have met the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. I would now urge all concerned to engage with this process so that the views of all concerned can be considered before final decisions are made in relation to this matter.
    348. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on alleged breaches in 2008 of firearms licensing regulations (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46196/14]

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report on this matter based on the details supplied and will write to the Deputy when it becomes available.
    Dara Calleary (Mayo, Fianna Fail)
    338. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will provide in tabular form the number of firearms licences issued here in 2011, 2012, 2013 and to date in 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46101/14]

339. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the percentage of licensed firearms that have been used to commit a criminal offence in each year since 2011 versus that of non-licensed firearms; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46102/14]

340. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will provide in tabular form a breakdown of the figure of 1,134 firearms which were stolen in the period from 2010 to 2013, inclusive, as per figures supplied in her Department's review of firearm licensing, on a year-by-year basis in the following catagories; a numerical breakdown between firearms stolen on an individual basis or those stolen in batch, for example, from a firearms dealer; the number of all categories stolen from firearms licence holders in each year; the number of all weapons stolen from members of An Garda Síochána in each year; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46103/14]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 338 to 340, inclusive, together.

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report on these matters and will write to the Deputy when it becomes available.
    341. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will carry out an independent risk assessment of the report on the review of firearms licensing; if she will consider a regulatory impact assessment of same; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46104/14]

345. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if risk assessment statistics were quoted in the context of the review of the firearms licensing proposals; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46189/14]

349. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality in view of the review of the firearms licensing Act, official EU statistics show a low ownership of licensed firearms here, that is, 8.6 per hundred persons, homicides with a licensed firearm are recorded at 0.48 per 100,000 persons and suicides per 100,000 persons at 0.56%, a higher suicide rate than homicide, if this does not contradict the claims being made by the Garda and her Department's proposed review; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46202/14]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 341, 345 and 349 together.

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the judiciary, a joint Department of Justice and Equality / An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by my Department to review firearms licensing. The Report of this Working Group was published on 13 November and submissions on the Report have been sought from stakeholders and the public by 31 January 2015. The consultation process gives individuals and groups an opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation.

I have already given a commitment that I will not make any decisions until I have had the opportunity to consider all the submissions which are made and I meet the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. I would now urge all concerned to engage with this process so that the views of all concerned can be considered before decisions are made in relation to this matter.

In so far as a risk assessment is concerned, the Firearms Licensing Review report has regard to recent relevant EU Commission reports and developments in other jurisdictions in relation to public safety. A regulatory impact assessment will, of course, be conducted if there are any legislative proposals under consideration arising from the consultation process.

I do not consider that the statistics quoted by the Deputy undermine any of the arguments put forward in the review. What I believe is very important is that there is robust legislation in place to ensure the security of the public.
    James Bannon (Longford-Westmeath, Fine Gael)
    314. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of handguns stolen from firearms licenceholders in the years 2010 to 2013, inclusive, and to date in 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45924/14]

315. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of handguns stolen in each of the years 2010 and 2013, which were issued to members of An Garda Síochána and to members of the Defence Forces. [45925/14]

316. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of shotguns stolen from firearms licenceholders in the years 2010 to 2013, inclusive, and to date in 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45926/14]

317. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of rifles stolen from firearms licenceholders in the years 2010 to 2013, inclusive, and to date in 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45927/14]

318. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of blank firing guns stolen from firearms licenceholders in the years 2010 to 2013, inclusive, and to date in 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45928/14]

319. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of deactivated guns stolen from firearms licenceholders in the years 2010 to 2013, inclusive, and to date in 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45929/14]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 314 to 319, inclusive, together.

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report on these matters and will write to the Deputy when it becomes available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some decent questions in there. The responses are disheartening and the usual PR stuff.

I'm wondering if the sheer volume and frequency of the questions is starting to sink in, and that she realises it's not a trivial matter she can makes changes to without some sort of backlash.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭SVI40

It will be very interesting to see the answers on the number of licenced handguns stolen from sports persons, versus the number stolen from the Gardaí and Defence Forces. It will also be interesting to see if they are broken down into blank firing, replica, antique etc. on Pulse.

Anyone care to take a bet :)?

The questions i'm looking for answers on (but will never get) and points i'd like to see debated are:
    • The Minister's admittance that they do not recover or cannot say that any firearms used in criminal matters are legally held.
    • The separation of criminal elements and legally licensed guns.
    • The statistics on lost/stolen guns and how they are broken down/identified as such.
    • The refusal of .22 pistols based on non existent legislation.
    • The revoking of unrestricted licenses, and their categorisation as restricted as a means to revoke them.
    • The "public safety concerns" by AGS, the true statistics of murder rates versus other death rates, and with the numbers so low, and even then not being related to legally heel firearms where exactly their concerns are.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

SVI40 wrote: »
    It will be very interesting to see the answers on the number of licenced handguns stolen from sports persons, versus the number stolen from the Gardaí and Defence Forces. It will also be interesting to see if they are broken down into blank firing, replica, antique etc. on Pulse.

Anyone care to take a bet :)?

With regards to stolen firearms and civilian V government numbers, if that is published, I really don't think it's going to turn out the way you hope. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ntipptop

The minister,and her sidekicks, keep using the sentence , "in light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána"
    What PUBLIC SAFETY concerns have been highlighted ????
    Has the country gone unsafe due to law abiding sportspersons ????? all of a sudden or what

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭SVI40

bravestar wrote: »
    With regards to stolen firearms and civilian V government numbers, if that is published, I really don't think it's going to turn out the way you hope. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I'm only referring to handguns, not firearms in total.

Just received this via e-mail. I signed up when the site was first started and it's good to see support (of any kind) coming from other corners of the shooting world.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Hammerli .22 pistol licence granted today, I have to say I was unsure if it would be, just under 3 mnts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Article in the Examiner already:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-want-ban-on-all-handguns-654971.html
    200,000 firearms and 1134 stolen.

And on breakingnews.ie:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-want-ban-on-all-handguns-654971.html

And that one allows comments...

love how it this committee who are suppose to know how guns work try and describe to themselves what a semi auto and a auto assault rifle.

also i really would like to meet the person that was able to licenses a full auto assault rifle with 30 or 40 rounds in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If that's the knowledge levels we're up against I despair...no disrespect intended but if that's one's level of knowledge a wise course of action would be to keep quiet and come back after learning a thing or two about the subject matter.

And the references to the actions of a bunch of deluded religious fanatic animals in Pakistan are quite welcome as well....even if it was relevant a minimum of knowledge about firearms would lead you to believe that shooting over 100 people with a single handgun in one incident is something that belongs firmly in the realm of fantasy.

Comparing a licensed semi auto target pistol with a permission to possess maybe 250 rounds to an arsenal of AK's, RPK's, Dshk's, RPG's and assorted ammunition measured in metric ton quantities rather than in amount of rounds is ignorant at best and deceitful and misleading if one would be a bit pessimistic about the speakers' motivation.

Dail debate sinking even lower than the level of the laziest of tabloid journalism...

Dail debate sinking even lower than the level of the laziest of tabloid journalism...

this was classed as a debate, but to be honest how was it ?, all i heard was , "Sorry im late , yeah , so we all agree that to stop target shooters from shooting up schools we agree that full auto assault pistols that have 40 rounds are bad so lets ban all guns. all agreed, I"

At least a tabloid by its name is lazy and poorly researched.Whether or not that the government actually believe these measure will stop crime , to stand up and ****e on about a subject they have no knowledge about and couldn't even be arsed to google is like me getting paid a truck load of money to go into the dail are bringing in new measures on banking. I dont have a clue about banking.

Lads it has came to a stage where shooting organizations have to back somebody to run for the dail and run publicly for shooting sports rights.

Lets face it , were all sitting here saying the government don't know anything. but what we really needed was somebody in that meting today to tell them they were talking absolute bull

200,000 firearms , about at least 70,000 firearms owners. Somebody should run. Given the right area would walk in.

bpb101 wrote: »
    Lads it has came to a stage where shooting organizations have to back somebody to run for the dail and run publicly for shooting sports rights.
    We already have a senator nominated by the NARGC, can't say I've seen it make a large difference. One voice isn't enough in a system where vote count is all that matters.

Sparks wrote: »
    We already have a senator nominated by the NARGC, can't say I've seen it make a large difference. One voice isn't enough in a system where vote count is all that matters.
    was he backed by a nargc as in the nargc had a vote in one of the panels or what...
    what is his name btw

My point was to have somebody(s) who would run for a general election having that as its slogan. It would be good to see how many vote he/she would get but it would maybe also give the opportunity to educate people on the door steps about the sport.
    somebody who would run as an independent. If your in a party , your told how to vote when their pressure on you

bpb101 wrote: »
    was he backed by a nargc as in the nargc had a vote in one of the panels or what...
    The NARGC can appoint him directly the way the colleges can appoint their senators, as I understand it.
    what is his name btw
    Paschal Mooney. See this post above for his latest statements on this issue.
    My point was to have somebody(s) who would run for a general election having that as its slogan. It would be good to see how many vote he/she would get but it would maybe also give the opportunity to educate people on the door steps about the sport.
    somebody who would run as an independent. If your in a party , your told how to vote when their pressure on you
    True, but how effective they would be is open to question. Most independents seem to vanish after the election; and the few you do hear of are more often used for the silly season stories than for driving real change. It's just that the Dail is a numbers game. If we could get in several TDs that'd be one thing, but we're about 100,000 voters spread over the entire country; that might be enough votes in one constituency to do it, but we don't all live in the one place.

True, but how effective they would be is open to question. Most independents seem to vanish after the election; and the few you do hear of are more often used for the silly season stories than for driving real change. It's just that the Dail is a numbers game. If we could get in several TDs that'd be one thing, but we're about 100,000 voters spread over the entire country; that might be enough votes in one constituency to do it, but we don't all live in the one place.
    It is a numbers game , that is the problem. Unfortunately we cant draw the boundaries either. It would be interesting to see though how many votes it would draw it However at the moment it all about water

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

Saw a committee discussion today on oireachtas tv looked like a bunch of people that had never held a fire arm let alone knew anything about them discussing the issue. A large part of centred around guns the look like assault rifles or as one deputy put it guns that look scary capability had nothing/very little to do with it from what i gathered. But in fairness there was one deputy who did stand up some what and point out the ridiculousness of banning a gun simply because of how it looks. But there was another who said even allowing for a proper licensing system and ensuring people of sound character where the one to possess guns asked that was that a society we should/want to live in.
    Im sure it been mentioned around here a lot but the ignorance of many people on this issue real annoys me.

• Advertisement

Jcarroll07 wrote: »
    Saw a committee discussion today on oireachtas tv ...

Im sure it been mentioned around here a lot but the ignorance of many people on this issue real annoys me.

Yup, it has its own thread here. We might merge it in later, but at the time it seemed better to have it in a seperate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

It's heartbreaking to see the calibre (sorry) of people we elect to our parliament. There seems to be no concept at all in this country of appointing people to do a job who actually know anything about it. Or are at least willing to learn or to bring in people who do have the knowledge.

That nice Canadian chap, for example, very politely told a Dail committee today that the Dept of Finance simply did not have people who were up to the job of running a first-world economy. So much for our much-vaunted educational system. We have a Minister of Justice who is determined to bring in new laws for ideological reasons despite being told by experts that they simply will not work.

And as for what passes as journalism in our National Broadcaster... you'll all be familiar with their ignorance about guns, but take it from me the reporting on the Sony Pictures hack was an absolute shambles. There is no credible evidence whatsoever that North Korea was responsible (though they're getting huge LOLs out of it). But while everyone's pointing the finger at the Norks, no-one's asking how Sony's security could be so utterly incompetent. The Brian 'n Sharon Show just regurgitates whatever they're told, they never ask "why?".

And if I could put forward a Constitutional amendment it would be that anyone wanting to bring forward new laws would have to also have a Cost/Benefit analysis done, published, and argued over in public.

We pay these people a fortune. The least we should demand is competence.

Not even a cost vs benefit analysis but the header of every bit of proposed legislation should explain what it is designed to achieve and how it will achieve that change and how the result of that achievement will benefit society.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Earlier on in this thread I suggested full page ads in the national press as a possible method to put our case forward. Having listened to that prize ass Deputy Kenny, I think our email campaign will have zero effect. Any mails I've sent in recent weeks generated a generic reply or none at all.
    What if the good Deputy bought his Sunday paper to find a full page ad asking him to explain his comments and general ignorance? That would expose him to media that enjoy ripping a dumb TD a new one.
    Dail representation is a numbers game and we don't have sufficient numbers to directly influence election outcomes except in a few close run constituencies. But we could expose the ignorance, the half truths, the sheer BS we have to contend with - and that might influence a lot more votes.
    I'm willing to contribute cash to that sort of campaign, maybe others would too.

If shooting organisations contributed x amount each into a campaign pool and the main firearms distributors done the same I don't think it would be impossible for a pr professional to word a proper open letter to the Government and have it published as an ad in a national broadsheet. The content can be easily distilled from opinion and fact stated in these pages by the generally knowledgeable people in the shooting community.

If shooting organisations contributed x amount each into a campaign pool and the main firearms distributors done the same I don't think it would be impossible for a pr professional to word a proper open letter to the Government and have it published as an ad in a national broadsheet. The content can be easily distilled from opinion and fact stated in these pages by the generally knowledgeable people in the shooting community.
    The very first question's going to be "Who looks after the pot". And it'll tear itself apart about six to seven seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The very first question's going to be "Who looks after the pot". And it'll tear itself apart about six to seven seconds later.

What's your suggestion so? Do you honestly think the submissions route and email campaign will work?

I've written emails and have my submissions nearly ready to be sent, and I've a bucket load of signatures on the petition, but after looking at that not very funny joke committee , it looks like we're wasting our time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to keep pestering my TD and keep up the campaign, but it doesn't look like we are going to get fair play, not from that group anyway.

They clearly seem to have their minds made up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

At this point I don't care who minds the pot. If these proposals go through we won't have a pot. I'd rather try to do something now and perhaps fail than have to hand my guns into a Garda station in 6 months time.

The Sports Coalition is probably the natural choice but they need a more cold blooded spokesperson IMO.

So, if you coalition organisers are reading this...

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What's your suggestion so?
    Decentralisation.
    We've a looooooong history of leaving it all up to one or two people, and then when the inevitable defeat happens yet again, crying into our beer about how it was the fault of those one or two and how they really just sold out the rest of us for their own interests.
    Do you honestly think the submissions route and email campaign will work?
    It's the only thing in thirty years that ever has, at least over the long term (if you can turn McDowell around in a U-turn on a financial policy, it's not a useless tool...)
    I've written emails and have my submissions nearly ready to be sent, and I've a bucket load of signatures on the petition, but after looking at that not very funny joke committee , it looks like we're wasting our time.
    I know, it had my stomach in a knot for a few days too. But we really haven't any alternative. We used to, but apparently we're not talking about that, we all partied, we are where we are, etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to keep pestering my TD and keep up the campaign, but it doesn't look like we are going to get fair play, not from that group anyway.
    They clearly seem to have their minds made up already.
    Yup.
    Still have to try though, or the message will be "You had an opportunity to speak and you didn't, so why are you complaining now?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I know, it had my stomach in a knot for a few days too. But we really haven't any alternative. We used to, but apparently we're not talking about that, we all partied, we are where we are, etc.

The justice committee mentioned previous " round table discussions" and did not rule out a distinct possibility of something similar after committee.

Advertisement