Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Postcodes to be introduced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

INow you have cracked it, without postcodes, we have no competition......

The reason why most delivery services concentrate on cities especially Dublin and bigger town is nothing to do with lack of postcodes but that it's much more cheaper and profitable to deliver over a smaller area .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SPDUB wrote: »
    The reason why most delivery services concentrate on cities especially Dublin and bigger town is nothing to do with lack of postcodes but that it's much more cheaper and profitable to deliver over a smaller area .

Its both.

Its unworkably expensive to deliver to rural areas without postcodes unless you know them. One of the reasons its the franchised services that are about the only ones that cover those places well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's a little more complicated than that. Without postcodes (and the address database that goes with it) it is really impossible for a carrier or service provider to even guess what will be involved in making a particular delivery, and so it is very difficult to price it. It is also very difficult to plan service levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

murpho999 wrote: »
    Brownstown is a rural townland that covers a few square kilometers. The issue is not mapping, as paper maps don't show houses, but incorrect and inadequate addressing. A postcode that you would put into a satnav (paper maps & are things of the past for me) would get me to the correct place.

Paper maps do show houses, discovery series show houses and larger scale os maps do also.

How do postcodes tell which one of several unnamed unnumbered houses in the countryside are the one you want? where they are all within some distance of each other?

Again in the example of France as a fairly developed country with postcodes with only 999 locations per department or county, they manage by having proper maps and a system for naming places, which is what we're missing here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    The only advantage of postcodes is it makes it cheaper for business,
    I would have thought this was a good thing?
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    The goverment can then close a load of Fire stations, Garda stations, Post offices. Sounds like a great deal for rural areas they will be more isolated but at least have efficent deliveries.
    The local one probably was a 10 min drive from yer gaf, but wasted another 10 looking for the the one-off bungalow blitz. When that local one is closed, the one further away might be a 15-20 min drive - so you're either breaking even on response time or else improving it.
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    And pay the unemployment benefits of the locals that used to work in the local dispatch centres, out of the taxes saved.
    Oh great, let's have loads of unnecessary dispatch centres just to give people something to do. Wonderful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No I live in an unnamed/unnumbered house outside a village on an R road.
    I have never had a problem with deliveries.
    I have had a fridge, furniture, kitchen delivered recently along with equipment from a hire company with no problems.
    When i cancelled my TV years ago Chorus had no problem finding my house to remove their equipment.
    Explain it to us - how did they find you? You got lucky.
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    In my work I'm often sent to unknown areas to houses/businesses. I am usually able to find them. If I'm going far i would usually call to make sure there would be someone in, so its no problem to ask for directions.
    What if no one answers the phone? Do you see the way there's no Plan B here?
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    If its local i would have a fairly good idea where im going(as i would expect any delivery driver) It doesn't cost my employer much more if i cant find the place immediately, apart from a cheap phone call and maybe a few € extra petrol money(that would probably be claimed anyway :))
    Claimed - as an expense - which the company passes onto the consumer :)

We currently have a massively inefficient, and therefore expensive system. You're basing your experience on the assumption that you either already know where the house is (and are therefore cheating) or else that you have a phone number and someone answers. Any system based around that is a failure. The system must work even when the person has no local knowledge and no way of getting any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

spacetweek wrote: »
    I would have thought this was a good thing
    Advantages usually are!
    The local one probably was a 10 min drive from yer gaf, but wasted another 10 looking for the the one-off bungalow blitz. When that local one is closed, the one further away might be a 15-20 min drive - so you're either breaking even on response time or else improving it.
    Your assuming the person that dials 999 knows the area code, or can easily find out, what if they don't? Then its breaking even or longer.
    Oh great, let's have loads of unnecessary dispatch centres just to give people something to do. Wonderful.
    They are necessary without postcodes, there's plenty of job schemes around the country that do just that. Is it better if they commute to a city or do nothing?
    Explain it to us - how did they find you? You got lucky.
    The deliveries called me, sometimes when they were near, sometimes earlier in the day making sure someone would be there. The Chorus guy just turned up which was strange, maybe they have their own system or they got lucky.
    What if no one answers the phone? Do you see the way there's no Plan B here?
    Then they don't get a call out that day. But they are expecting the call so usually answer.
    Claimed - as an expense - which the company passes onto the consumer :)

Yeah but they don't pay any more then the local ones, so everyone pays. But when area codes come in i doubt my company will reduce their prices, or any of the utility companies. The only way they will go down is if their being undercut by someone or undercutting someone.
    We currently have a massively inefficient, and therefore expensive system. You're basing your experience on the assumption that you either already know where the house is (and are therefore cheating) or else that you have a phone number and someone answers. Any system based around that is a failure. The system must work even when the person has no local knowledge and no way of getting any.
    I am basing my assumption that in 2010 in Ireland if you cant get in contact with someone that gave you their contact details then they don't want to be contacted.
    I don't see that we are paying much more than any other country that has post codes.

Anyway post codes are coming I hope they will result in savings for end users.

Your assuming the person that dials 999 knows the area code, or can easily find out, what if they don't? Then its breaking even or longer.
    Yea, but if you're beside the road in the middle of nowhere, you'll always be pretty hard to find. This is the same in every country. I'm asking for Ireland to be at the same standard as everywhere else - it's not, cause you're hard to find in Ireland even if you're at home. Shouldn't be like that.
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    They are necessary without postcodes, there's plenty of job schemes around the country that do just that. Is it better if they commute to a city or do nothing?
    No way do I support artificial job creation just to give people something to do. This is the sign of an immature economy.
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    Yeah but they don't pay any more then the local ones, so everyone pays. But when area codes come in i doubt my company will reduce their prices, or any of the utility companies. The only way they will go down is if their being undercut by someone or undercutting someone.
    Anyway post codes are coming I hope they will result in savings for end users.
    Costs will go down when it becomes easier to get more deliveries in per day.

This is one of these situations where I can't even believe we're having this discussion! Postcodes are 100% essential for any country, especially a developed one. Otherwise you have chaos.

Costs will go down when it becomes easier to get more deliveries in per day.

And knowing this country bigger profits for firms with absolutely no end benefit in price terms for customers

This is one of these situations where I can't even believe we're having this discussion! Postcodes are 100% essential for any country, especially a developed one. Otherwise you have chaos.

Strange we don't have chaos at the moment .

The most that can be said is that it may be difficult to find some places outside cities or towns .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The bottom line on Postcodes is that they are a First World standard, Ireland is now supposed to be a first world country, if this is so they should be implemented here ASAP.

My brother whom lives in the UK recently moved house, when I went over to see him after his move I asked for him for his address all he gave me was the postcode to enter in my Sat Nav, this brought me directly to his Cul-de-sac were I saw his car outside his house.

In order to get to his new home I had to drive for over 40 miles from the Airport to his house in unfamiliar surroundings and all I need was a six digit Alpha-Numeric code - eg. XX7 XX7.

This is why in my opinion Postcodes are vital, they bring you or even deliveries you are waiting for directly to your door, also I have often seen Ambulances in my area going up and down the same roads looking for a specific address if we had postcodes here they would be directed directly to the correct road by there Sat Nav.

It is a major part of modern day infrastructure.

• Advertisement

celticbest wrote: »
    My brother whom lives in the UK recently moved house, when I went over to see him after his move I asked for him for his address all he gave me was the postcode to enter in my Sat Nav, this brought me directly to his Cul-de-sac were I saw his car outside his house..........This is why in my opinion Postcodes are vital, they bring you or even deliveries you are waiting for directly to your door.

That claim is not true for UK postcodes because they are not specific to individual houses .

You found your brothers house because you recognised his car .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The postcode plus the house number will bring you there, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

In urban areas in the UK, it narrows down to around 10 properties so the postcode plus a house number gets you there. Large users or premises can have there own. In rural areas it doesn't work as well, post code can cover a big area but at least there's road and house names as well.

I'm fed up with high courier charges here and constantly having to give directions or meet them in town, sooner we have postcodes the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That claim is not true for UK postcodes because they are not specific to individual houses .

You found your brothers house because you recognised his car .

Oh for God's sake, talk about missing the point!

No, he found his brother's house because the postcode-plus-satnav combination brought him from 40 miles away to within 100 metres - to a point where all he had to do was recognise the car!

A lot of the debate on postcodes covers deliveries, sat nav, junk mail, etc., and people can debate the pros and cons thereof. Surely though, the fact that emergency services can use them to locate 999 calls has to be a plus?

For example, with a proper postcode system, this would never have happened.

Two spurious arguments are always raised in this scenario:

"But what if the person gave the wrong postcode?"

Well surely any decent dispatch procedure would ask for the postcode first, but then confirm the location (in the address database) that that corresponds to.

"Well not all 999 callers will know the postcode!"
    Yeah, but if it's your house that's burning down, or your daughter that's fallen out of a tree, then you will! Or if a serious car accident occurs, it's often local residents who hear the bang and call the emergency services.

Callers outside their own home or work locations will of course have to rely on other means, but that's how it would have been anyway.

Going back to the original argument, postcodes mightn't get the fire brigade to the exact house, but a good system will get them close enough so that they can see which house is on fire!

fricatus wrote: »
    A lot of the debate on postcodes covers deliveries, sat nav, junk mail, etc., and people can debate the pros and cons thereof. Surely though, the fact that emergency services can use them to locate 999 calls has to be a plus?

But as their name indicates they are primary for post (delivery companies ) .

That they have an added benefit is good but that is not their main purpose .

And to repeat your phrase "talk about missing the point!" I was pointing out to that poster the UK postcode brought him to the street(?) but without a number or house name any delivery person would have to knock on every door and hope someone is home in one of the house .

The delivery person is not going to recognise your car .

But as their name indicates they are primary for post (delivery companies ) .

That they have an added benefit is good but that is not their main purpose .

And to repeat your phrase "talk about missing the point!" I was pointing out to that poster the UK postcode brought him to the street(?) but without a number or house name any delivery person would have to knock on every door and hope someone is home in one of the house .

The delivery person is not going to recognise your car .

AFAIK, UK postcodes bring you down to a group of 10 houses. Even in the worst case scenario which you outline, a delivery person would have to knock on only 10 doors to get the right one.

Of course they wouldn't really have to do that, because they would also have the house number! The point, which you seem to be deliberately ignoring, is that the postcode brings you right down to the right delivery location.

It's not just post though, that they're useful for (even though that's where they originated). Businesses and government agencies can build their own spatial data just by asking users for their postcodes and then mapping the results on a map of those postcodes. This sort of thing allows services to be delivered more efficiently.

We just don't have anything like that in Ireland. We don't even have any experience of it, so we're completely blind to the value of it. It's only when you see the ease with which a business abroad can gather and use data under a postcode system, that you understand how useful it is. A friend of mine implemented a very simple system in the UK where the postcodes of all the customers were mapped, and potential locations for new branch offices were identified.

Another example: I worked for a multinational delivery company for a while. A crappy job, but it gave me great insight into how these things work. We were able to quote a 7.30 delivery time for central Paris postcodes 75001-75011, 8.30 for 75012-75020, etc., and the same for towns and cities all over France.

For Ireland however, we had Dublin 1-24, Co Dublin and then 25 other counties, so the delivery time even for Limerick or Waterford cities was given as 12.00 - the same as for Dingle or West Cork!

That was because there was no way of giving a reliable delivery time based on an address that a customer would give. The only other countries that were so badly organised were the likes of Cameroon and Senegal. You would have to see it on your computer screen to believe it!

As someone else said, postcodes are baseline infrastructure in developed countries. We need to get up to date on this. Would we accept electricity that only came on for two hours in the morning and evening? Would we f***!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

we had Dublin 1-24, Co Dublin and then 25 other counties, so the delivery time even for Limerick or Waterford cities was given as 12.00 - the same as for Dingle or West Cork!
    That was because there was no way of giving a reliable delivery time based on an address that a customer would give.

There was of course, if you are talking about an hour or two time window. There was no reason whatsoever why you couldn't tell the difference between Waterford and Dingle, even if you lacked some detail in the area around Dingle. That was just laziness.

Postcodes are certainly desireable, but their absence is used as an excuse.

The point, which you seem to be deliberately ignoring, is that the postcode brings you right down to the right delivery location.

The point you seem to be deliberately ignoring is the the original poster said the UK postcode brought him to his brother's house .

The UK postcode cannot bring you to a particular house even in a city .

A friend of mine implemented a very simple system in the UK where the postcodes of all the customers were mapped, and potential locations for new branch offices were identified.

That could be done on a conventional map using name of streets etc so that for example you notice you are getting a lot of deliveries in Grafton street and Westmoreland so that you decide that College Green is a good midway point to set up a drop off point .

As for your delivery company example that just highlights the fact that they are primarily for post (delivery companies of any type ) so that in this case they could work out delivery schedules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What seems to be the main reason people have against introducing codes? Is it an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', or is it the cost of implementation?

• Advertisement

The postcode plus the house number will bring you there, no?

Yes, I tested it once and the letter was delivered! ;)

101sean wrote: »
    In rural areas it doesn't work as well, post code can cover a big area but at least there's road and house names as well.

Isolated rural houses/farms would have individual postcodes, there isn't the same amount of "bungalow blitz" as there is here. So no postcode would a large area.

The point you seem to be deliberately ignoring is the the original poster said the UK postcode brought him to his brother's house .

The UK postcode cannot bring you to a particular house even in a city .

...and you seem to be deliberately ignoring that the postcode WITH A HOUSE NUMBER will bring you to a particular house in that city.

You can, as dolanbaker says, even address a letter to, say, "10 SW1A 2AA" and it'll get to the house.

In rural areas it'll get you down to an individual road, which is a hell of a lot better than a townland name does here - particularly based on peoples constantly varying ideas of where townloads start and end.

MYOB wrote: »
    ...and you seem to be deliberately ignoring that the postcode WITH A HOUSE NUMBER will bring you to a particular house in that city.

You can, as dolanbaker says, even address a letter to, say, "10 SW1A 2AA" and it'll get to the house.

In rural areas it'll get you down to an individual road, which is a hell of a lot better than a townland name does here - particularly based on peoples constantly varying ideas of where townloads start and end.

10 Downing st London,

See - postcodes are useful! ;)

You seem to ignoring the fact that all he was given was the postcode without a house number
    My brother whom lives in the UK recently moved house, when I went over to see him after his move I asked for him for his address all he gave me was the postcode to enter in my Sat Nav, this brought me directly to his Cul-de-sac were I saw his car outside his house.

And that is not sufficient with UK postcodes to bring you to an individual house

Thats his brothers fault, not that of the post coding system.

You're splitting hairs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

You seem to ignoring the fact that all he was given was the postcode without a house number

And that is not sufficient with UK postcodes to bring you to an individual house

you're just being pedantic tbh, if it was a delivery man, he would have told him number 10, XX8 YY6.

10 Downing st London,

See - postcodes are useful! ;)

What if there more than 1 Downing Street in London:confused:

What if there more than 1 Downing Street in London:confused:

Then the other one would have a different postcode, which would remove all ambiguity, surely.

The bottom line on Postcodes is that they are a First World standard, Ireland is now supposed to be a first world country, if this is so they should be implemented here ASAP.

In order to get to his new home I had to drive for over 40 miles from the Airport to his house in unfamiliar surroundings and all I need was a six digit Alpha-Numeric code - eg. XX7 XX7.

This is why in my opinion Postcodes are vital, they bring you or even deliveries you are waiting for directly to your door, also I have often seen Ambulances in my area going up and down the same roads looking for a specific address if we had postcodes here they would be directed directly to the correct road by there Sat Nav.

It is a major part of modern day infrastructure.

SPDUB, can you please re-read my original post above again.

Were did I state that it brought me to an individual house, as stated above it 'brought me directly to his Cul-de-sac were I saw his car outside his house'.

If I was a delivery man I'm sure he would have given me his house number along with his postcode.

Thats his brothers fault, not that of the post coding system.

Technically it is the fault of the postcode system since the postcode in the UK is not detailed enough to go to individual houses .
    SPDUB, can you please re-read my original post above again....Were did I state that it brought me to an individual house

You didn't and that reply of mine you've quoted was replying to MYOB

• Advertisement

Technically it is the fault of the postcode system since the postcode in the UK is not detailed enough to go to individual houses .

Your argument is just getting worse and worse as this thread goes on.

What would the point be in have an address if every house had a Postcode:confused:

A postcode is specific to a particular area, an address is specific to a house/ place of business.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The UK sytsem is more accurate than the German one anyway. My postcode covers about 30 streets. It is not designed to locate an individual house, probably because every road in Germany (like in the UK) is named. Townlands don't exist.

The UK sytstem would likely be ok for Ireland, but tbh if there's something better now using GPS or a kilometre based system incorporating the new L road numbers being rolled out (can't help but feel our system will have a dependency on the L roads as the councils are now making a concerted effort to sign all sorts of boreens).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Actually it is if the house has a number. As already shown

10 SW1A 2AA

is ten D street. YOu could do this

SW1A 2AA10, putting the number at the end.

Or if you wanted in hex ( where 10 = A)

SW1A 2AAA,

or just as a letter rather than a number ( 10 = J)

SW1A 2AAJ

But that is pointless.

10 SW1A 2AA is just as good, if not better. See the whole thing as a postcode, incl house number , and you have a post code for every house.

EDIT: well every urban house. In general housing in England has numbers even if rural. Not always.

Another good thing about having postcodes is that they override the "snob factor", there are some areas of town that have "nice houses" surrounded by council estates.

They used to omit the name of the area (often heard on the local news relating to crime) from their address and substiture it with the name of the main road, without the post code you would never have been able to find them.

Eventually the residents successfully got a new area postcode allocated.

Pittens wrote: »
    Actually it is if the house has a number. As already shown

10 SW1A 2AA

is ten D street. YOu could do this

SW1A 2AA10, putting the number at the end.

Or if you wanted in hex ( where 10 = A)

SW1A 2AAA,

or just as a letter rather than a number ( 10 = J)

SW1A 2AAJ

But that is pointless.

10 SW1A 2AA is just as good, if not better. See the whole thing as a postcode, incl house number , and you have a post code for every house.

EDIT: well every urban house. In general housing in England has numbers even if rural. Not always.

+1
    The only time that system fails is when someone insists on naming their house and refuses to use the allocated number, but the postman/delivery driver is still within spitting distance and just has to walk past each house 'till he finds "Pendant house".

Your argument is just getting worse and worse as this thread goes on.

What would the point be in have an address if every house had a Postcode:confused:

A postcode is specific to a particular area, an address is specific to a house/ place of business.........

One of the proposals for the Irish postcode system is/was to have an unique postcode to each property .There was some concern that would cause privacy problems by the Data Protection Commissioner .

I believe An Post's Geo Directory is also detailed to individual buildings though of course that's not available to the public

One of the proposals for the Irish postcode system is/was to have an unique postcode to each property .There was some concern that would cause privacy problems by the Data Protection Commissioner .

I believe An Post's Geo Directory is also detailed to individual buildings though of course that's not available to the public

How the hell can it be any different than having a database with names and full addresses in it? :confused:

Sounds fairly spurious, IMO. So what if each building has a unique code? It's not as if a building's existence couldn't be determined by other means (by means of its address as dolanbaker said, or via Google Earth or simply by walking or driving past it).

There's not going to be some sort of database that says that D99 XYZ is Bono's house, but the information that there is a house at 999 Rockstar Road, Killiney, and that Bono lives in it is already in the public domain. Coding this via a postcode doesn't impinge on the owner's privacy.

Forgot to mention the ESB MPRN codes for the meters, they also uniquely identify any property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

From Silicon Republic: "A new all-Ireland digital address code that provides precise address information has gone live and will be invaluable to businesses that need to deliver products and services across the island."

So, what does this mean for the government's postcode rollout? Are we going to have multiple postcodes at our houses, i.e., use one for An Post, another type for parcel delivery services? I'm confused.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I think you'll find that LOC8Code is a commercial venture and not a government sponsored initiative. As postcodes are already over 2 years late and looking like being delayed again this seems to be someone showing some initiative of their own. The fact that it is to be available on Garmin satnavs this month might see it take off. I for one think it is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Yawlboy wrote: »
    The fact that it is to be available on Garmin satnavs this month might see it take off. I for one think it is a good idea.

From the website it says that you will be charged to unlock the Loc8 functionality :-(

http://www.myloc8ion.com/help#1

"At Present Garmin has fully implemented Loc8 Codes on all new Garmin 12xx, 13xx and 14xx series of SatNav's from August 2010. An update to these devices which were already sold previously is available as normal from “myDashboard” on the Garmin site and an unlock for the Loc8 Code functionality is available Here on this site. If you purchased a Garmin Nuvi 12xx, 13xx or 14xx before 1st June 2010, a fee for unlocking the Loc8 Code functionality will be charged."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Why is this news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Aard wrote: »
    Why is this news?

Because loc8 was launched yesterday: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/16941-all-ireland-digital-address/

In fact, we now have 2 geocodes - gocode.ie was also launched yesterday.

redalicat wrote: »
    Are we going to have multiple postcodes at our houses, i.e., use one for An Post, another type for parcel delivery services? I'm confused.:confused:

If the Govt don't adopt it then yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Condi wrote: »

Yes the traffic caused the map service to slow late this evening - but recovering now - probably due to the piece on the 6 O' Clock news: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0713/6news_av.html?2787061,null,230

Loc8 Codes were PON codes for beta testing (testing for 2 years) - so not sputious at all!

As for Government Postcode - was to be in place Jan 2008 - last Thursday in the DAIL minsiter said someting by end 2011. But he said that it would have a GPS capability so it could be Loc8. PON (now Loc8) also mentioned IN Oireachtas report on postcodes published back in April - so well recognised at this point.

Garmin now have on all new Nuvi 12xx, 13xx and 14xx sold from now on.

Can also be used in the form www.loc8code.com/w8l-82-4yk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

Had a look at Loc8code, seems very good, we have a new house and it is accurately marked (down to the correct floor plan) - I am an immediate convert! I also have a loc8 code now...

It will clearly save us getting calls from every delivery company for directions, if it gets widespread adoption. Fingers crossed; we'll be a long time waiting for a national system to wend its way thru the Dail..... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

County codes can't be used as Conradh na Gaeilge, the department of Gaeltacht and all the other Irish language organisations will object. It is also probably not allowed under the official languages Act.

I think the Loc8 codes are very clever. I think the system fits all the criteria. Anyone know when an announcement will be made abiut when they will be introduced?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement