Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Beautiful bit of sunshine, first Nordic walk of the season done- BOOM!! A little bit of winter in summer ;-)

Soll at the weekend:

image325.jpg

image318.jpg

Village Maypole (42m!)

image328.jpg

Summer on the Hohe Salve:

image333.jpg

Sunset over Soll:

image334.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

It really is a different world.

• Advertisement

You know those nursery 'slopes' that strike fear into the heart of beginners?! Well. Not so scary now, eh?!

image335.jpg

image336.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

fannymagee wrote: »
    You know those nursery 'slopes' that strike fear into the heart of beginners?! Well. Not so scary now, eh?!

It's the Hohe Salve in the background that is scaring me. I've not yet picked which autumn marathon to run, and despite it hurting a lot, and the other half probably not being up for the idea again... I wouldn't mind running the Tour De Triol again at some point.

Oooh Robinph, you're one of those crazy people?! Aaahh g'wan, DO IT! Check out the new Polven trail too :-)

http://www.tourdetirol.at/poelventrail-23-km-.html

Happy Friday everyone :-)

image338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Will you have a look out for my gloves please , trespass size large 😀

• Advertisement

More Soll im Sommer :-)

image343.jpg

image339.jpg

image329.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

More Soll im Sommer :-)

The only thing that's missing is Julie Andrews.

Any chance you can waltz your way across, arms outstretched, Fanny?

cormee wrote: »
    The only thing that's missing is Julie Andrews.

Any chance you can waltz your way across, arms outstretched, Fanny?

And some nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Havin a little picnic were you , you doin wonders for the tourist sector in soll keep it up

Hauptbahnhof Soll:

image344.jpg

Another view of the Hohe Salve, ohne schnee:

10363335_563726957073272_7609551761122335421_n.jpg

Home sweet home :-)

image345.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Recommendation please!

Group of us, all late 20s, thinking of trying Soll this year. Have been to Mayrhofen last two years, St Anton two before.

Want either a chalet or hotel half board. Want to book through Crystal at the moment because they're doing 2 for 1 lift passes. From the Crystal site at the moment its , Ferienhotel Fuchs, Hotel Austria, Hotel Mödlinger or around that price range.

Do you've any experience in these hotels.

Im sure it could work out cheaper to sort it ourselves, but as someone who struggles to get people to even book packages, I'm not bothered trying to organise more that that!

Wow I've actually stayed in all 3.

Fuchs and Modlinger are both a bit of a walk from the village centre and a long way from the gondola but both have a bus stop. I prefer the walk anyway. Modlinger has a fondu night that I really didn't appreciate. I have a big appetite when snowboarding.

I've stayed in hotel austria twice. I find most hotels in Austria are all similar. Food, accommodation and so on. Hotel austria is central to the village giving it a big advantage over the other 2. It's right beside the church but after the first night you won't notice the bells.

I like Soll. Would happily go back.

Yes I'd second the Austria. Shows all the matches in the bar if you're there during rugby season, and really central to bars, restaurants, Spar etc. Pretty much a no-brainer. DO IT! :-)

The ghost tree- can you see the little girl? Well she's not there ;-)

image348.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Recommendation please!

Group of us, all late 20s, thinking of trying Soll this year. Have been to Mayrhofen last two years, St Anton two before.

Want either a chalet or hotel half board. Want to book through Crystal at the moment because they're doing 2 for 1 lift passes. From the Crystal site at the moment its , Ferienhotel Fuchs, Hotel Austria, Hotel Mödlinger or around that price range.

Do you've any experience in these hotels.

Im sure it could work out cheaper to sort it ourselves, but as someone who struggles to get people to even book packages, I'm not bothered trying to organise more that that!

Hey mate, I'd avoid Soll if you been to mayrhofen and st. Anton. The skiing in Soll will be nowhere near as good as those resorts. Have you tried France? I was in Val d' Isere last season and loved it. Great skiing and great après. Mostly catered chalets so would be ideal. Try highlife.ie they'd have good deals for jan and the resort is generally a bit quieter too so no queues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

karl83 wrote: »
    Hey mate, I'd avoid Soll if you been to mayrhofen and st. Anton. The skiing in Soll will be nowhere near as good as those resorts. Have you tried France? I was in Val d' Isere last season and loved it. Great skiing and great après. Mostly catered chalets so would be ideal. Try highlife.ie they'd have good deals for jan and the resort is generally a bit quieter too so no queues.

Ohhhhhhh!!!!!!!,go to France,skiing may be better,slightly but hope u have very deep pockets.veryvexpensive in comparison to Austria and the après,well everyone and his mother knows the Austrian après is legendary

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

I won't disagree with you there, but Soll isn't the best of places in fairness.. Love mayrhofen and st.anton.

Ooh great points there guys!

Thanks for the reminder, because it's absolutely true. Soll is pretty much ZERO fun for skiwa*kers :-)

(PS The asterisk stands for an L)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Hi All,

Yea tbh the apres ski in Austria generally better than most in my experience.

I'm stuck with a few people who don't want to go back to Mayrhofen because they've been there before. I'd happily go back but trying to be diplomatic. Huge Mayrhofen fan, also really enjoyed St Anton but it's v pricey and hard to get everyone into, can book out very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hi All,

Yea tbh the apres ski in Austria generally better than most in my experience.

I'm stuck with a few people who don't want to go back to Mayrhofen because they've been there before. I'd happily go back but trying to be diplomatic. Huge Mayrhofen fan, also really enjoyed St Anton but it's v pricey and hard to get everyone into, can book out very fast.
    Love mayrhofen too,huge resort and very well linked,how about ischgl ??

CardinalJ what month are you talking?

More Summertime in Soll :-)

image361.jpg

image362.jpg

image359.jpg

image363.jpg

image360.jpg

image364.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Remind me what you do in Soll again?? :)

Very jealous! How do you keep busy during the summer months?

stevire wrote: »
    Remind me what you do in Soll again?? :)

Very jealous! How do you keep busy during the summer months?

I'm mostly in Ireland during the summer Steveirl! Well, over and back. And most if my work is consultation based so Skype is my best friend. It's the way forward! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm mostly in Ireland during the summer Steveirl! Well, over and back. And most if my work is consultation based so Skype is my best friend. It's the way forward! ;)

Nice lifestyle, Fanny. I own a website, as well as working a full-time job. I'd love to give up the full-time job and work on the website from some ski resort, however at present the income from the site would really only allow me live in somewhere like Bankso, Bulgaria - which I'd imagine I'd be bored of after a few days. Some day maybe!

Advertisement