Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC accounting 2014 - predictions , discussion, etc **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sallycoolgal

Published
    Neither has club but people are predicting that thatll come up again too :/

oh oks i see :/ its a tough world

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Published
    oh oks i see :/ its a tough world

It came up as a 60mk last year so it could be a 100mk this year
    doubt they would repeat 100mk questions though, so Im not looking at published or incomplete records (cash book method)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Published
    Am I alone on this;

Sole Trader or Company (120m), between Service .. Suspense .. Cash Flow .. (Incomplete B?) (2 x 100m), and something for Costing/Budgeting (I'd be happy with the 80% prediction for now).

Would Section 2 cover me from any surprises - given Interpretation as a guaranteed question?!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Cashflow
    Exo wrote: »
    Am I alone on this;

Sole Trader or Company (120m), between Service .. Suspense .. Cash Flow .. (Incomplete B?) (2 x 100m), and something for Costing/Budgeting (I'd be happy with the 80% prediction for now).

Would Section 2 cover me from any surprises - given Interpretation as a guaranteed question?!
    If ratios is learned yes you should be fine. Maybe tabular if not :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CiaraRedmond

Is it too late to drop to Ordinary Level? Would I be okay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Published
    Is it too late to drop to Ordinary Level? Would I be okay?

I think it's too late, apparently it's not worth dropping and the course is pretty different - the exam is 2 days essentially! I mentioned the predictions above which I received above which seem to point the right direction.. go by them and you should pull through.

As for Tabular, I couldn't be bothered at this stage even tho it could make a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pixiedustx

Tabular
    Revaluation, control, cash flow for 60 markers
    Suspense and service for 100 markers
    Marginal costing/flexible budgeting
    Production budget (the EC mock basically) would be the perfect paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Published
    Can someone talk me through 2012 b iii???

All im covering is
    Short- control, cashflow, farm, service, reval
    Long - q5, service, club, suspense, cashflow
    All q8

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Tabular
    LoveLamps wrote: »
    Can someone talk me through 2012 b iii???

All im covering is
    Short- control, cashflow, farm, service, reval
    Long - q5, service, club, suspense, cashflow
    All q8

Which question?

Published
    Q8 sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Published
    Exo wrote: »
    Am I alone on this;

I'm doing this except tabular and club instead of incomplete. If farm, incomplete, or published come up as 100 mark questions I'll have to interpretation which I don't actually mind. If the (b) part asks about debenture holders or shareholders, I'd be happy to so it. Full marks in the ratios unless I do something silly and then 35+ out of the remaining 50. I'd worry it'd cost me an A1 if I did it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Tabular
    Q8 sorry!

right, at 95% activity 19000 units are being produced. You need to divide the costs into variable and fixed.
    Then you do a marginal costing statement. Its:

Sale
    Variable costs

Contribution
    Fixed costs

Net profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kat7

Tabular
    Lara_15 wrote: »
    Posted a big chunk of theory a few pagers back :)

private debt of 600 owed to cooke offset against a businsess debt of 550

Can anyone help with this, I would do it
    Capital CR 600
    Creditor DR 550
    Discount DR 50

But the marking scheme has
    Capital Cr 550
    Creditor Cr 550

I dont understand why?

Thanks a mill!! Yano for the like advice questions like advice you would give to a treasurer are there any particular points you really must include never seem to get the full marks!!? Thanks again!

Published
    Kat7 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill!! Yano for the like advice questions like advice you would give to a treasurer are there any particular points you really must include never seem to get the full marks!!? Thanks again!

Im ****e at theory generally, but that question seems to always talk about how increasing subs would discourage new members but then again the improved facilities (that were paid for using the subs) will attract new members.
    Then you need some type of calculationy bit too which is specific to the account

The theory questions are always so vague and its hard to know what and how much theyre looking for

http://www.davidwilson.ie/ewExternalFiles/Theory%20PDF.pdf

Heres a pdf of the marking schemes for all the theory qs ever asked, its divided up into sections so maybe youll find something there

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

Cashflow
    tabular came up last year? its never come up 2 years in a row before :o

Tabular came up as a 60 marker, they've put a 100 mark question on where it was 60 marks the year before. Can't remeber the year (around 06/07) with published accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 8 badger96

Tabular
    Sole Trader, Service, Suspense and Marginal would be lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

Tabular
    Accounting Theory

Incomplete Records

Advice- I would advise .............. to keep a detailed cash book and general ledger supported by appropriate subsidiary day books, enabling ................ to prepare an accurate trading profit and loss account and therefore avoid reliance on estimates.

Additional info available from double entry system
    -Total Purchases and Sales
    -Bank Balance
    -Capital and Drawings
    -Expenses Due and Prepaid

Suspense

Error of commission – correct amount, correct side, correct class of account, incorrect account
    e.g. Entering goods sold on credit to L. O' Brien into D. O' Brien's account
    Error of principle – Incorrect class of account e.g. Shop owner entering purchase of a vehicle as purchase of trading stock
    Error of omission – Entry completely omitted from the books
    Compensating errors - When two errors cancel each other out
    Reversal of entry – Debit entry entered on credit side and vice versa

Errors that do affect the trial balance :
    -One amount on DR and different amount on CR
    -Mathematical/calculation errors
    -Posting only one side of the double entry

Club/ Service

Special purpose P+L – used to calculate the profit on things such as raffle or lotto. Profit then goes into the income and expenditure account

Limitations of a Receipts and Payments A/c
    -Does not show weather club is raising enough funds to cover costs
    -Does not take into account dues and prepaids
    -Does not take into account non-cash losses such as depreciation

Cash Flow

Things affecting profit but not cash
    -Non cash losses such as depreciation
    -Credit purchases or sales

Things affecting cash but not profit
    -Capital/Drawings of cash
    -Purchase or sale of Fixed asset

Accounting Standards Board
    -Issues new accounting standards called financial reporting standards (FRS)
    -FRS 1 (issued in 1991 revised in 1999) requires large companies to prepare a cash flow statement for each activity period
    -It requires that individual cash flows should be entered under standard headings according to the activity that gives rise to them

Purpose of Cash Flow
    -Shows cash inflows and outflows for the year
    -Shows that profits do not always equal cash
    -Aids financial planning, used to predict future cash flows

Budgeting

Cash Budget – forecast of cash inflow and outflow over a period, highlights weather enough cash will be aailable to cover future costs, gives advance knowledge to arrange an overdraft if needed
    Flexible Budget – Prepared to help control and plan product levels, and to compare budgeted costs to actual costs at a certain level of activity
    Capital Budget - Deals with planned capital expenditure e.g. Purchase o fixed assets
    Master Budget – Summary of all budgets, includes a budgeted Manufacturing account Profit and Loss account and Balance Sheet
    Adverse variance – When actual costs exceed budgeted costs
    Controllable costs – can be controlled e.g. Direct labour, Administration
    Uncontrollable costs – cannot be controlled e.g. Rates to local council
    Principle Budgeting Factor – Limits output e.g. Sales demand, availability of labour and materials, capacity of the factory/plant
    How to predict sales : take into account
    -Last years sales
    -Competition
    -Market Research
    -Trends/ Economy

accounting theory for some topics if anyone needs it, it was formatted all nice but when I copied an pasted it it went all boring :( sorry

God bless your kind soul! Lol I couldn't find my accounting theory notes and was in no mood to look at the book. And voila, I found you and your post. Thanks for saving my life. Lol

Published
    God bless your kind soul! Lol I couldn't find my accounting theory notes and was in no mood to look at the book. And voila, I found you and your post. Thanks for saving my life. Lol

no problem, theyre just the questions that seemed to come up alot so there could be bits missing!

Quick question.... am I right to say interim dividends are dividends you paid during the year, and proposed dividends are ones you plan to pay?
    Im doing a cash flow and I cant get my head around why you put proposed dividends as well as interim dividends into the cash flow if you didnt pay both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Published
    no problem, theyre just the questions that seemed to come up alot so there could be bits missing!

Quick question.... am I right to say interim dividends are dividends you paid during the year, and proposed dividends are ones you plan to pay?
    Im doing a cash flow and I cant get my head around why you put proposed dividends as well as interim dividends into the cash flow if you didnt pay both of them

Luckily enough, they're gone off the course and we no longer need to know them. They just appear as dividends now.

Published
    Luckily enough, they're gone off the course and we no longer need to know them. They just appear as dividends now.

Thank god! I just did a company account there and there was one awkward note that brought me down 15% :eek: Now I feel really disheartened because I NEED the A1 in accounting
    praying for a nice paper
    I dont mind what they put on it (as long as its not published or farm) as long as the questions are nice :/

• Advertisement

Published
    Thank god! I just did a company account there and there was one awkward note that brought me down 15% :eek: Now I feel really disheartened because I NEED the A1 in accounting
    praying for a nice paper
    I dont mind what they put on it (as long as its not published or farm) as long as the questions are nice :/

Luckily enough I'm not doing Q1s! 60s are much easier for me :P a B1 will keep me happy..if it's a nice paper tho, I'll go for the A1

Published
    2012 q8 b iii where are they getting sales??

Published
    2012 q8 b iii where are they getting sales??

I think the sales is gotten from preparing a marginal costing statement, because you're given the VC and FC cost per unit? The total cost (FC+VC) must equal to 80% of sales. So, you just add those two together then divide by 80 and times by 100 to get the total sales figure and from that get the profit figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nof121

Tabular
    What are the types of q9s that can come up?

Published
    Nof121 wrote: »

Flexible Budgeting
    Production Budgeting
    Cash Budgeting

But they like to stir **** and mix them all up, last year they mixed production and cash

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

Cashflow
    Nof121 wrote: »

Production Budget, Cash Budget and Flexible Budget. Cash Budget has come up the last 2 years and flexible budget usually crops up now with the costing question. My money is on Production this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 halppme

Okay, I've read every post seeking predictions but I'm just a bit confused. In fifth year I was getting A1's all the time, come sixth year I don't know what happened, started getting bad and then failed the Pre :(

PLEASE what will I study??? I don't do Q1's or Q5, can someone just give me six or seven accounts (60/100 markers?) that I should concentrate on

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Cashflow
    Can someone clarify something....in suspense purch is cr balance therefore increase purchases you cr the number..k so that means purch returns is a dr balance..so increase purch returns put number on dr side..is this all correct?...and can someone please explain how increasing your purch returns decreases your net profit?? I mean if i increase my purch return that means im not spending as much money on purch cause you take purch returns away from purch therefore decreasing purch therefore increasig net profit?...its driving me insane. Please someone explain! :P im reading this from 2010 btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I THOUGHT TODAY WAS FRIDAY :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Nema123lol

Suspense
    my prediction for Higher Level accounting!

Q1 - Sole Trader
    Q5 - Interpretation
    Q6 - Tabular/Club
    Q7 - Service
    Q8 - Marginal + Flexible Budgeting
    Q9 - Production Budget

what do you think?

Advertisement