Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

If we're judging on who is landing punches then groves was maybe 4-3 or 4-2 ahead.....if we're judging on who is dominating the ring and throwing wild punches, being aggressive but lacking real technical boxing skills then yes froch was ahead

froch is an average world champion, he lacks technical boxing skills but can take a punch and has good stamina, andre ward would comfortably outbox him - in many ways carl is similar to steve collins, a real warrior in the ring and difficult to stop but top top fighters would outpoint him every time

poor commentary from sky, an ok fight, groves left himself open and was caught - that's boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I wanted Groves to win and am gutted for him but fair ballś to Froch the man is a warrior and has a chin made of granite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thoroughly enjoyed that, what a punch :) Had the score cards close myself, with Froch ahead but it looked like Groves was starting to really grow into the fight and Bam, goodnight. No controversy with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

donfers wrote: »

froch is an average world champion, he lacks technical boxing skills but can take a punch and has good stamina, andre ward would comfortably outbox him - in many ways carl is similar to steve collins, a real warrior in the ring and difficult to stop but top top fighters would outpoint him

Froch v Collins would be a real good fight if they were same era actually, a brutal 12 rounds

From memory, since there seems to be an argument about it here, I gave it round 1 Carl, 2 Groves, 3,4 Carl, 5 Carl, 6 Groves, 7 Groves

4-3 Carl going to the 8th for me with Groves starting to really come into it. Rounds were very close though so can see an argument either way

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    From memory, since there seems to be an argument about it here, I gave it round 1 Carl, 2 Groves, 3,4 Carl, 5 Carl, 6 Groves, 7 Groves

4-3 Carl going to the 8th for me with Groves starting to really come into it. Rounds were very close though so can see an argument either way

It's subjective ok.
    Wonder when we will hear how the actual judges scored it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

donfers wrote: »
    If we're judging on who is landing punches then groves was maybe 4-3 or 4-2 ahead.....if we're judging on who is dominating the ring and throwing wild punches, being aggressive but lacking real technical boxing skills then yes froch was ahead

froch is an average world champion, he lacks technical boxing skills but can take a punch and has good stamina, andre ward would comfortably outbox him - in many ways carl is similar to steve collins, a real warrior in the ring and difficult to stop but top top fighters would outpoint him every time

poor commentary from sky, an ok fight, groves left himself open and was caught - that's boxing

Pretty much agree with you i wouldn't rate froch too highly myself,but groves was far too soft in both fights for me,he got knocked out here and collapsed in the last fight albeit a terrible decision but he was starting to fail in the later rounds,so i would have been swaying towards froch here on the cards on control because he looked to be doing more damage when he got in,but groves was coming on strong in 7 and 8 in this fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I wanted Groves to win and am gutted for him but fair ballś to Froch the man is a warrior and has a chin made of granite.
    Strongest jaw I've seen in British sport since David Coulthard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It's subjective ok.

BBC 5 Live tweeted that 2 judges had Froch ahead and the other had Groves, didn't give the actual scores

It's subjective ok.

The score cards will come out yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Had a few quid on froch to do it in round 8 , delighted...
    Thought froch was at least 3 rounds ahead.
    George didn't look half as good as he did in the last fight.
    Have to say I thought froch was looking tired just before the knockdown, sure what do I know :D

As for Amir khan, wtf?

sham69 wrote: »

As for Amir khan, wtf?

What did he do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Strongest jaw I've seen in British sport since David Coulthard.

Strong rumours going around that NASA want to launch rockets from that jaw onto Mars.

Had a few quid on froch to do it in round 8 , delighted...
    George didn't look half as good as he did in the last fight.
    Have to say I thought froch was looking tired just before the knockdown, sure what do I know :D

As for Amir khan, wtf?

Don't ruin the parade with stupid aftertiming, nobody cares and its sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Best man won no question about it.

Froch should retire, it's unlikely to ever get as good as this again.

What did he do ?

Said Groves was controlling the fight and ahead when he was asked in between rounds earlier, not how I saw the fight at the time, Froch was controlling the ring imo Groves at the stage was looking for pot shots and bits here and there, no rhythm or control at all. He came into it more after but at that point it sounded mental to me from Khan :)

What did he do ?

Sounded pissed, said groves was controlling the fight?

Don't ruin the parade with stupid aftertiming, nobody cares and its sad

Not sure what you mean by this?
    I was watching the fight with the missus , had a few beers, put some bets on earlier and won a few quid?

Have been watching boxing since I was a kid, don't know much about it but enjoy watching it?
    Wasn't being smart?

Sorry I am misunderstanding your comment, few beers and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

bumper234 wrote: »
    Free when you know how:D

mediocre fight but what a finish.

Jaysus Chops do you pay for anything..

Froch that the fight under control from the 3rd, He was never going to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Sounded pissed, said groves was controlling the fight?

Froch and Khan don't get along.

• Advertisement

Froch and Khan don't get along.

Didn't know that, explains it so.
    Was funny when the guy said "you mean froch, and he said no"
    Silence when they went back to the commentary :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

:confused:

I'm not a boxing fan until a big fight comes up but wtf? and I even missed the first round.. My viewing was a 4-3 to either fighter, but had it scored as HBO they had Grooves 4-0 heading the 5th and it was hard to argue with it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Best man won no question about it.

Froch should retire, it's unlikely to ever get as good as this again.

Id like to see him take on Degale and flatten him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Can someone pm me a link please

Never mind...too late.. typical.

user2011 wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm not a boxing fan until a big fight comes up but wtf? and I even missed the first round.. My viewing was a 4-3 to either fighter, but had it scored as HBO they had Grooves 4-0 heading the 5th and it was hard to argue with it. :confused:

Rounds were pretty close though...

I knew there was a reason I don't post in this thread very often.
    I seem to have upset a few people with my bad after timing and preposterous round scoring.

I've learned my lesson though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Post fight press conference live on youtube for anybody interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UqxpqHujlo&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Rounds were pretty close though...

Don't think they were that close, from when I tuned in Grooves was 3-0 up, hbo had given the first to Grooves but from the 5th on it was all Froch the body punches were effecting Grooves big time which imo lead to the knock out.

But my reply to Froch being 3 ahead was nuts. The same as him predicting the finish in the 8th ;)

No way Groves won that first round, it was close alright, but Froch was the aggressor and had control, he also landed the better punches imo. Wouldnt be the first time HBO scoring was a bit off anyway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 St890

No way Groves won that first round, it was close alright, but Froch was the aggressor and had control, he also landed the better punches imo. Wouldnt be the first time HBO scoring was a bit off anyway

No way, Groves landed more punches and the best punches. Froch took about a minute to even throw his first punch.

Advertisement