Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

An emergency/temporary passport can be issued only in an emergency or if the passport office fails to deliver a full passport on time. They have to be exchanged for the full passport on return from travel. Application generally does have to be already in the process though.

This is correct.

Also, the definition of an "emergency" is where a person has to travel to see a relative who is seriously ill, travel to a funeral, or travel for life saving medical treatment.

A family holiday, urgent travel for work, etc are not considered emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

AGC wrote: »
    That is back in 2009.

The rapid renewal is your best option and going by what some have said you can be very lucky and get it on the day. This will be a full passport

So if you lose your passport when abroad what does the Embassy issue you with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

A single use emergency travel document. A piece of paper with your photo on it valid for 1 journey only.

Which, incidentally, isn't a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

This is a bit complicated, but here goes:

Travelled to Prague last weekend and was held up at Czech immigration for almost an hour as they said my passport had flagged.

As a background, i had misplaced a bag two years prior with a passport in it and immediately went to report it stolen. I got a police report which they told me to take to the Irish embassy in The Hague as i was in Holland at the time.

However, by sheer luck, my bag turned up in the lost and found shortly afterwards, before i ever got the report filed or got on to the embassy.

I travelled home and went to the passport office and asked them to check was my passport alright for travel, they said I was lucky and it was and i travelled to and from Holland a number of times after that.

However, as mentioned already, i got held up for nearly an hour in Prague Airport, some two years later, with them saying the passport had flagged. However they let me through, telling me that i needed to contact the embassy. I did so and they told me it was fine, it didn't flag for them. I travelled back from Prague this afternoon and cleared passport control on both sides, no questions asked.

My question is: What do i do now? I'm travelling out of the country in another week or so and don't want this hanging over my head any time i may travel for the next 6 years, yet this passport isn't damaged or stolen so i don't know if i can simply get a new one or in time. I also don't want to have to get a new one if it's actually grand either

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »

Travelled to Prague last weekend and was held up at Czech immigration for almost an hour as they said my passport had flagged.

As a background, i had misplaced a bag two years prior with a passport in it and immediately went to report it stolen. I got a police report which they told me to take to the Irish embassy in The Hague as i was in Holland at the time.

However, by sheer luck, my bag turned up in the lost and found shortly afterwards, before i ever got the report filed or got on to the embassy.

I travelled home and went to the passport office and asked them to check was my passport alright for travel, they said I was lucky and it was and i travelled to and from Holland a number of times after that.

However, as mentioned already, i got held up for nearly an hour in Prague Airport, some two years later, with them saying the passport had flagged. However they let me through, telling me that i needed to contact the embassy. I did so and they told me it was fine, it didn't flag for them. I travelled back from Prague this afternoon and cleared passport control on both sides, no questions asked.

My question is: What do i do now? I'm travelling out of the country in another week or so and don't want this hanging over my head any time i may travel for the next 6 years, yet this passport isn't damaged or stolen so i don't know if i can simply get a new one or in time. I also don't want to have to get a new one if it's actually grand either

You need to replace that passport asap. Strictly speaking you should have went to the Irish Embassy in The Hague 2 years ago after reporting it stolen to the police.

You don't know who had that passport or what it was used for during the window where it had been "misplaced".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

spiralism wrote: »

If the Dutch police had the passport number of the passport that went missing they could have forwarded it to Interpol. Maybe that's how it was flagged. If you ever can't account for the whereabouts of your passport you should have it replaced straight away. You don't know who had it or what was done with it while it was out of your possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

Passport arrived today, absolutely delighted! The entire process, from me sending application away to them issuing it, took all of 6 working days.

I was replacing a lost one as well which I'm assuming adds some extra time?

Had a friend last week who received theirs in what I would consider record breaking time of only 3 days.

If anyone has a passport expiring soon, I would say this is the time to send it away to save yourself any future hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Cheers - just looking at a trip there in February - might take a jaunt down to Utrecht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Heya,

We booked our honeymoon during the week, Dubai and Thailand August 2016(1st-17th) my passport expires 29th March 2017, so it's just over the 6 months left on it(about 6.5months)

Anyone any experience with that? Do you think I'll be ok? (I'd rather wait until 2017 to change it if possible with my new married name!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Has anyone bought one of these offers? I travel quite a bit and know I could probably organise something myself for a similar cost but my other half is taken by the idea of the deals! We had planned to visit Iceland and a deal has come up for a short trip there.

Any opinions on groupon deals ? Any horror stories ?

Passport cards due to launch in the next 3 weeks

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0930/731505-passport-cards/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I won't believe it until I see it.

It has been delayed for various reasons. If we see it by the new year I shall be pleasantly surprised.

I thought it was delayed until end of September, as in, today..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Haveissues

Hi guy! Wondering if anyone can help me. Applied for my passport and it was due to be back to me this coming Monday but got a letter today to say my photos are not acceptable because they are off centre.

The letter doesn't say how to remedy this...do I have to send an entirely new application form stamped by gardai again with 4 stamped photos or just 4 photos stamped by gardai or simply 4 new photos unstamped?

My difficulty is I'm due to travel tomorrow week so I'm a bit anxious about the whole thing. I'm going to have to attend the passport office personally at this stage.

I'm going to ring the passport office tomorrow to find out but if anyone knows what my next steps should be then I'd appreciate the advice!

Thanks

Haveissues wrote: »
    Hi guy! Wondering if anyone can help me. Applied for my passport and it was due to be back to me this coming Monday but got a letter today to say my photos are not acceptable because they are off centre.

The letter doesn't say how to remedy this...do I have to send an entirely new application form stamped by gardai again with 4 stamped photos or just 4 photos stamped by gardai or simply 4 new photos unstamped?

My difficulty is I'm due to travel tomorrow week so I'm a bit anxious about the whole thing. I'm going to have to attend the passport office personally at this stage.

I'm going to ring the passport office tomorrow to find out but if anyone knows what my next steps should be then I'd appreciate the advice!

Thanks

4 new unstamped photos.

Haveissues wrote: »

Thanks

If it's just that you were off centre in the photos, there shouldn't be any need for a new form, or to get the new photos witnessed by the Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Haveissues

Thanks JohmMearsheimer and foxotoole! Feeling a bit relieved now! Thanks

fxotoole wrote: »
    Passport cards due to launch in the next 3 weeks

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0930/731505-passport-cards/

A little birdie told me they launch Monday 5th October....

FYI - in light of the postal strike:

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/press-release-archive/2015/october/passport-express-service-arrangements/

Basically, if you are renewing your passport either (a) wait until the strike is over to submit your application, (b) make an appointment if you are travelling in less than 10 working days, or (c) put your application in an envelope and drop it in to the Dublin or Cork Passport Office or the Irish Aid office in Limerick (if you have travel plans in more than 10 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Does anyone know how we will be signing the new passport card if it's all done online? Will we sign a piece of paper and take a pic of it? Will our signature on out main passport be electronically saved and thus automatically transferred onto the card? Or will we just sign it when we receive it?

Does anyone know how we will be signing the new passport card if it's all done online? Will we sign a piece of paper and take a pic of it? Will our signature on out main passport be electronically saved and thus automatically transferred onto the card? Or will we just sign it when we receive it?

I'd imagine you just sign the card when you get it like with your passport. Your signature isn't printed on a passport anymore. You sign it when you get it.

Physically sign it when you receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

A little birdie told me they launch Monday 5th October....

and we have lift off!
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/irish-passport-card/id1032784621?mt=8

It's up on the Play Store too for Android users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Love the iOS app, very sleek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement