Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite armed squad to tackle gangland crime in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Saw the footage on TV3 and RTE news.I'm impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Must see it at 9 RTE.

;)0001b41f05a.jpg Sorry couldnt make it bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

donvito99 wrote: »
    Must see it at 9 RTE.
    Why wait?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/1news/

Must see it at 9 RTE.
    You should be able to watch it on rte.ie in the next few mins.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/New-armed-garda-unit-deployed.4455617.jp
    Another article on the launch.

• Advertisement

Will the RSU carry out normal policing duties also. I know they cant sit in a car all day waiting for an armed incident but things like speeding and no seatbelts?

Random wrote: »
    Cant get the real player to work.

Cant get the real player to work.
    Working for me. You're missing feck all though really. It's a very botched up report. Not very impressive.

And there's no footage ! What a waste of 2 mins for me that was :(

Working for me. You're missing feck all though really. It's a very botched up report. Not very impressive.

And there's no footage ! What a waste of 2 mins for me that was :(

The 6.1 will be on the site soon.

You need to look at it on the Six One News. Launch wasn't until 3 O'Clock.

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/

• Advertisement

foreign wrote: »
    You need to look at it on the Six One News. Launch wasn't until 3 O'Clock.

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/
    I looked at the 6,1 a while ago and I'd swear I didn't see it on it! But the link is there now, clear as mud to the Elite Garda story ..

++ edit - that's much more like it!

I notice some of the units didn't seem to have Garda ARU written on them? I saw the car had but the jeep type vehicles didn't ?

I looked at the 6,1 a while ago and I'd swear I didn't see it on it! But the link is there now, clear as mud to the Elite Garda story ..

That was yesterdays 6.1.I made the same mistake!:o

0001b41f10dr.jpg

eroo wrote: »
    0001b41f10dr.jpg
    Whats the red lettering in the middle. Garda? Armed?
    And is it electronic?

Are they not being "marketed" as ARUs (armed response units) yet they have Armed Support Unit (ASUs) on the marked cars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Whats the red lettering in the middle. Garda? Armed?
    And is it electronic?

Yes it "armed" and electronic and can say a number of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Are they not being "marketed" as ARUs (armed response units) yet they have Armed Support Unit (ASUs) on the marked cars ?

Nationally they will be known as regional support units (RSU).

The marking on the car is to clearly identify it as an "armed" support unit.

Those markings are covered when they are not acting in "armed support".

Ah, right so CLADA.

I tell you .. I love the partial arming of the force to deal with the ever increasing xy and z but I really really can't get behind this half assed method. It seems to me like these armed support guys can get taken out nice and handy once you go and get them when they don't have their special jackets on, badges and lights out or guns out of the safe.

Yes, it's very much a simplistic view of it all but I think a high visibility "We're armed, don't **** with us, we're not pissing about here" presence would be much more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

CLADA wrote: »
    Nationally they will be known as regional support units (RSU).

The marking on the car is to clearly identify it as an "armed" support unit.

Those markings are covered when they are not acting in "armed support".

How are they gone to cover the markings?

yayamark wrote: »
    How are they gone to cover the markings?

I asked the same question and was told there is some form of adhesive strip that can be removed and replaced.
    :confused:Take whatever you want from that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

I asked the same question and was told there is some form of adhesive strip that can be removed and replaced.
    :confused:Take whatever you want from that

Talk about over-complicating things :rolleyes: why bother having it written on the vehicle thats its an armed unit? The local Guards will know, and Joe Public will only know when the crew is deployed with weapons, job done and no need for fridge magnets/gaffer tape.....etc

metman wrote: »
    Talk about over-complicating things :rolleyes: why bother having it written on the vehicle thats its an armed unit? The local Guards will know, and Joe Public will only know when the crew is deployed with weapons, job done and no need for fridge magnets/gaffer tape.....etc

Tut Tut Metman, you obviously haven't been paying attention in class.:D

They will undertake regular duties until such time as they are deployed to an armed or critical incident.
    At that point they change into tac gear, tool up, activate the electonic display, reveal the armed support unit markings.

Then they become an armed unit.

Whats complicated about that:rolleyes:

They will undertake regular duties until such time as they are deployed to an armed or critical incident.
    At that point they change into tac gear, tool up, activate the electonic display, reveal the armed support unit markings.

When you put it like that...sheer simplicity......in fact had they added completion of a rubix cube and/or simplex crossword, prior to changing of apparel, it might have made things more straightforward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Yeah but it only takes 1 minute!!!!!

Sure you would hardly be shot dead in that space of time now would you?:rolleyes:

Nice uniform and car though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

They appear to be on the front doors only, roll down the window and rip them off.

Wonder if they're like F1 drivers visors and whole heap of them alternating between plain and armed support unit, just rip it off and disguard it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Have seen these vehicles dropped down into our division. Very nice; highly equipped and look able to take on the mammoth tasks they'll be placed under in the future.

...I wonder whether C&C will be dispatching them to regular calls..as I highly doubt they'll be given a standard call sign. Possibly routine patrol/checkpoint/speedtraps instead?

Ah, right so CLADA.

I tell you .. I love the partial arming of the force to deal with the ever increasing xy and z but I really really can't get behind this half assed method. It seems to me like these armed support guys can get taken out nice and handy once you go and get them when they don't have their special jackets on, badges and lights out or guns out of the safe.

Yes, it's very much a simplistic view of it all but I think a high visibility "We're armed, don't **** with us, we're not pissing about here" presence would be much more effective.

@CLADA,I presume they will carry their sidearms at all times??

Random,armed response vehicles/support units play an integral part of policing in the UK.It's high time we followed suit.It's not half assed,even if there are some complicaions,these should be ironed out by feedback from the RSU crews.

Armed criminals don't attack DDU Ford Mondeos(well,they're pretty obvious,but that is the point) nor do they attack other armed units,simply because these personnel are armed.They wouldn't risk it imo.There is a good chance a) they could be shot b)they could be arrested c)they wouldn't get far after the incident,as well as various other risks.So I don't think the RSU will be at any greater risk.

Marked RSU cars that stand out a mile;tac clothing;MP7's and Sig Sauer's. . .how is this not high visibility?lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Just saw the pics this morning of the RSUs in the national press this morning and they do look the part. Nice to see they've finally moved away from the UZI too. Just one thing that did did make me chuckle was when the reporter said that donning tactical dress "...will involve pulling on a zip-up jacket over the uniform and donning a special cap, with 'armed support unit' markings." would have thought tactical dress consisted of a bit more than that :p

Glad to see the Guards finally getting some decent kit

armed_201766t.jpg

garda_201762t.jpg

garad2_201764t.jpg

Source; Independent.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

eroo wrote: »
    @CLADA,I presume they will carry their sidearms at all times??

Random,armed response vehicles/support units play an integral part of policing in the UK.It's high time we followed suit.It's not half assed,even if there are some complicaions,these should be ironed out by feedback from the RSU crews.

Armed criminals don't attack DDU Ford Mondeos(well,they're pretty obvious,but that is the point) nor do they attack other armed units,simply because these personnel are armed.They wouldn't risk it imo.There is a good chance a) they could be shot b)they could be arrested c)they wouldn't get far after the incident,as well as various other risks.So I don't think the RSU will be at any greater risk.

Marked RSU cars that stand out a mile;tac clothing;MP7's and Sig Sauer's. . .how is this not high visibility?lol

The " random " policng in the uk is generally SPecial branch asuch with the usual response gear in the booth,

though they spend most of their time speeding after noobie criminals they have the equipment should they be required.

but atleast the gardi have something, it beatsa having to call up the lads from limerick in the blocked out patrols with the aldi value camo gear and there chinese mp5's, but that was the old budget, in with the new :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement