Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone know for certain if there's an FM radio in it? Seeing conflicting reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Specs sound good and a little bit better than what the iPhone 6 has. The iPhone 6/plus is too thin and likely to bend. Not sure how sustainable the S6 would be all made of aluminium? Features sound good though but the A3/A5/S5 seem to be downgraded versions of the S6? Wouldn't an app do for the FM? There is a difference in the A3 and A5 on that I think. Youtube videos have cool comparisons of the phones.

I'm not bothered by the none removal battery option i'd like a phone that's hard wearing to some extent as I've a habit of dropping mine and gets shuffled a lot in the bag. The only thing i'd miss is the removable sim/microsd card slots? They trying to be like apple with the nano sim and have battery/32gb etc built in making them expensive. Still can't justify the price of the expensive ones on pay as you go even for a 16gb for an iPhone in comparison to a Samsung. Even the bill payers won't get that free they need to pay for it to some extent at a cost. Only iPhone that justifying buying is the iPhone 5 versions in particular the 5c or 5s.

I like the features of the S6. The battery be the only thing how long lasting and durable is it yet its wireless charging features which is good but means you paying extra to have the wireless pad?

It was cool to watch the unveiling of it on the streaming live show from Barcelona of the Samsung Mobile World Congress. Looks wise is a classy design. I still recommend the Samsung over the iPhone.

symbolic wrote: »
    And even though you can do the same thing on older models, the experience is nicer with the new ones. Faster. Nicer screens. 4g(just faster aswell).

Gear Vr is interesting to me too.

I do see the original point, but personally I enjoy the improvement in the experience, even though I am just always receiving data from the Internet and displaying it on my screen. I went from Note2 to Note4 and don't use any extra functions but the experience in using the same functions is much more enjoyable.

What's the gear VR is that for navigation? I like the wider bigger screens and slightly bigger keypad. It was always the case for me for the ordinary phones always preferred bigger keypad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know a lot of people are against cases on their phones, but if I invest that much cash in one I want at least some way to protect it. How the hell will a case on the edge work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

doovdela wrote: »
    What's the gear VR is that for navigation?

They are Virtual Reality headsets, available for s6 and note4.

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    They are Virtual Reality headsets, available for s6 and note4.

Ah I see.

I know a lot of people are against cases on their phones, but if I invest that much cash in one I want at least some way to protect it. How the hell will a case on the edge work?

I still think you need a case to protect your phone from damage. The back of the protection case off my phone is already scratched! Its the otterbox one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Finally got to watch the full Unpacked event...

I am impressed. Screen, build, camera and performance all look very promising.

Lack of waterproofing is one minor disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Actually, I'm happy to concede it. Counter the rest of the points I made and I may even change my overall opinion.

Never said i disagreed :)

Personally ive no need for an SD card, havent used one in any device for years. Everything i have backs up without a thought.

SD card wont help ya if the phone is stolen :)

Removable battery? Well i just use a power pack. This one i can use with any /all devices. So i dont have to purchase a new battery everytime i change a phone model. I use the same rechargeable power pack.

Simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

listermint wrote: »
    Personally ive no need for an SD card, havent used one in any device for years. Everything i have backs up without a thought.

SD card wont help ya if the phone is stolen :)

Removable battery? Well i just use a power pack. This one i can use with any /all devices. So i dont have to purchase a new battery everytime i change a phone model. I use the same rechargeable power pack.
    I'm not suggesting that there are not workarounds or that some of these things may been irrelevant to some users, only that at least for me they are an issue, but most importantly, the S6 does not really offer anything new of interest - better specs, sure, but next week there will be a newer phone with better specs. Beyond that, it's little more than a wanna-be iPhone, from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Nothing concrete yet but ...

S6 32GB will be comparable to launch S5 16GB price.
    S6 Edge 64GB will be comparable to iPhone 6 Plus 64GB price.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    S6 32GB will be comparable to launch S5 16GB price.
    S6 Edge 64GB will be comparable to iPhone 6 Plus 64GB price.
    It's already being pre-ordered here and it looks like S6 Edge prices will be fairly comparable to iPhone 6 Plus prices and S6 Standard to iPhone 6 Standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

It's already being pre-ordered here and it looks like S6 Edge prices will be fairly comparable to iPhone 6 Plus prices and S6 Standard to iPhone 6 Standard.

If anyone is wondering, Digitec is a legit website. I've ordered loads of things from there but only to an address in Switzerland, and I don't think they ship abroad, though I could be wrong. Maybe you can find a parcel motel style service for products.

If anyone is wondering, Digitec is a legit website. I've ordered loads of things from there but only to an address in Switzerland, and I don't think they ship abroad, though I could be wrong. Maybe you can find a parcel motel style service for products.
    Of course it's legit, it ends in .ch :cool:

As to Digitec, largely due to 8% VAT here, electronic goods have tended to be cheaper than in the EU (which led me to be used as a parcel motel style service for various family members). Unfortunately, that's no longer as true as it once was thanks to the recent jump in the value of the Swiss Franc against the Euro.

The main reason I posted the above link is because pre-ordering the latest shiny gadget is very popular in Switzerland - the moment there's an announcement on something, you'll typically find someone has priced it long before it's even gotten to market, and this often proves a good guideline for how other countries will treat their pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

massive massive disappointment, smaller battery, no removable battery or no micro sd card slot, the only plus is the new design, but undoubtedly it'll cost a fortune, i wont be touching it with a barge pole, same as the M9 which is all but the same as the M8.

The only phone i want this year is the one that will blow everything else out of the water if you can get it (it'll be halF the price too of the S6 / M9)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKbY-77KVRg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

USB 2.0 - is that a misprint? Copying files to/from this will take a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

USB 2.0 - is that a misprint? Copying files to/from this will take a while...

Every phone is usb 2.0. I think the Note 3 was the first usb 3.0 but it had a funny usb port.

Every phone is not USB 2.0. The 'funny USB port' is a micro USB 3.0 port. The same port that's on the S6 predecessor :rolleyes:

It made transferring files to/from the S5 much quicker, in particular video files.
    Every phone is usb 2.0. I think the Note 3 was the first usb 3.0 but it had a funny usb port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Every phone is not USB 2.0. The 'funny USB port' is a micro USB 3.0 port. The same port that's on the S6 predecessor :rolleyes:

It made transferring files to/from the S5 much quicker, in particular video files.

But sweet Jesus that flap on the S5's port annoyed me to no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I've registered my interest with the 3 network. But I must admit I'm not blown away by the device.

The glass back just screams iPhone 4. And anybody that has an iPhone 4 knows one thing. Glass backing, means glass smashing.

Give me a durable plastic removable back anyday over a glass back. The Note 4 got it right in terms of design and functionality IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ok most phones that came out in the past few years are USB 2.0. Also if you read what I had written you will see I knew it was USB 3.0 as I said so and I just said it was a funny USB port as it was. I also said the Note 3 was the first phone to get USB 3.0 but I did not say it was the only one. (If you read my post again)

It's a pain in the butt. But I think that was only to make it water proof right?
    Sam Mac wrote: »
    But sweet Jesus that flap on the S5's port annoyed me to no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

jonnny68 wrote: »
    massive massive disappointment
    Ah now, chin up lad. It's not the end of the world.

It's a pain in the butt. But I think that was only to make it water proof right?

Yep, that's why it was there. Many people complained so I guess Samsung took that on board for their future phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Yep, that's why it was there. Many people complained so I guess Samsung took that on board for their future phones.

I think they gave up too easily. It's a huge step backwards that the s6 isn't water/dust resistant / IPXY certified.

My guess is that in a month or two they'll announce an s6 active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So is the general consensus that this wouldn't be much different to a Note4?

In the market for a new phone and was holding out for the S6.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Me too, leaning towards the note though.

Note 4 is the better phone IMO. Not impressed with the S6. Specs are grear but the no SD card slot and non removable battery are a step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Note 4 is the better phone IMO. Not impressed with the S6. Specs are grear but the no SD card slot and non removable battery are a step back.

I suppose that's the trade off. People weren't happy with the plastic phone, having a Glass or metal phone means taking the back cover off is not possible!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I suppose that's the trade off. People weren't happy with the plastic phone, having a Glass or metal phone means taking the back cover off is not possible!

Note 4 was completely different to the S5 in terms of build quality. Note 4 was primarily metal with a plastic removable back. I would've preffered that really. They could have put an SD slot in the side though.

Advertisement