Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange

Options
  • 14-01-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

With Avengers 2 hitting next year, Marvel are already planning Phase 3. While Antman is the only confirmed film so far, Doctor Strange has been strongly rumoured.

DeppDoctorStrange_large.jpg

Speculation suggests that Johnny Depp may be up for the title role.

Link

Makes sense with the possibility that they will lose RDJ soon. They will need another big name in that universe and Depp is still raking in the money. And seeing as I have no investment in the character, I don't mind the casting either.

Other opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Otacon wrote: »
    Makes sense with the possibility that they will lose RDJ soon. They will need another big name in that universe and Depp is still raking in the money.

The universe of people who did such a quantity of drugs during their lifetime that it gave therm a comedic charm? :D

Is RDJ out of contract or something or is there another reason why he won't be doing more Marvel stuff? I am not a comic reader so I've neither an idea who Dr. Strange is nor which characters are int eh avengers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I would LOVE a proper Strange film. Would they go with Sorcerer Supreme I wonder?
    Not sure about Depp though, if he does it straight then great but Captain Jack Sparrow as Strange??? Hell no

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dermighty wrote: »
    The universe of people who did such a quantity of drugs during their lifetime that it gave therm a comedic charm? :D

Is RDJ out of contract or something or is there another reason why he won't be doing more Marvel stuff? I am not a comic reader so I've neither an idea who Dr. Strange is nor which characters are int eh avengers etc.

I think RDJ has signed up for Avengers 2 & 3, but nothing other than that yet. Anything past that (more Iron Man films or appearances in other Marvel films) hasn't been decided on.

As for which characters are in the Avengers, the team changes all the time with characters constantly coming or going, and as well as the Avengers, there's also New Avengers, Secret Avengers and Young Avengers teams. So basically, any character they want (that they have the rights to) could feasibly be part of the Avengers in the movies.

Dr.Strange in a nutshell is a sorcerer who uses spells and magic. A supernatural type of character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

I think Marvel want Robert Downey Jr to sign a new contract that has less of an impact on their grosses. They're a studio that knows RDJ is a big name but I'm sure they have faith that Iron Man and the Avengers are bigger. At least after the success of the trilogy and the Avengers.

The problem with Dr. Strange is that it's such a risky venture that they may not be able to scrimp on their casting budget as they've been known to do. But I still can't imagine Depp will get his now usual $20-25m regardless of the risk.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought they would go the route of making this a lower key affair rather than going for a big name big budget approach since the character wouldn't be that well known.

Depp could be perfect for he role imo but it all depends on what kind of performance he decides to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The problem with Dr. Strange is that it's such a risky venture that they may not be able to scrimp on their casting budget as they've been known to do.

If we are talking risk, look at Guardians of the Galaxy. No big names in the cast list really, a relatively low-profile director and what I suspect must be a fairly hefty budget. Doctor Strange with Depp in the lead is practically a lock in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Depp's last big budget outing did not really go too well.

What about Joseph Gordon Levitt (this is one superhero role where is 5'7" won't hurt, as strange relies on mystical over physical)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well strange does play a role in the infinty gauntlet storyline as a sort of cosmic liason and supposedly thats what avengers 3 will be all about, he could act as a bridge between the earth based characters and the space faring ones like the guardians.

plus he'd be a no brainer for the source of another infinity gem tieng in with whats been set up in thor 2 so in terms of their longer term plans he makes sense.

i like Depp myself. the bloke can actually act when he wants to so with the right take it could be something great. but i wouldnt be gutted if its someone that gets the part.

getting the story and tone right with this is the big problem. this could be as tough as thor to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Depp is to star as Strange does he bring Tim with him to direct it?

I kind of have a love/hate with thier movies.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If Depp is to star as Strange does he bring Tim with him to direct it?

I kind of have a love/hate with thier movies.

An early nineties Tim Burton directed Dr Strange movie, yes please. Present day sub par CGI-fest Tim Burton would not fill me with excitement though (Though Dark Shadows was alright).

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    An early nineties Tim Burton directed Dr Strange movie, yes please. Present day sub par CGI-fest Tim Burton would not fill me with excitement though (Though Dark Shadows was alright).

That's where I am with that as well.

Marvel really need to look into developing lower budget films for their less well known characters. If love a Strange film, particularly one based on J Michael Straczynski's Strange but I don't want another generic origins story that exists simply to further expand the Acengers world.

If Marvel were to take characters such as Strange, The Punisher, Blade, etc and create more adult orientated films for under 100 million then they really could be on to something. I don't want a watered down, kid friendly Blade. I want an adult, violent and grim tale and not one designed to sell kids meals. Strange would be great as a lower budget and less risky investment with a well known if not exactly A list actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sam Rockwell would be my choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Depp's last big budget outing did not really go too well.

What about Joseph Gordon Levitt (this is one superhero role where is 5'7" won't hurt, as strange relies on mystical over physical)

Levitt is working on an adaptation of Sandman so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Heard today John Hamm is in Talks already to play Dr. Strange i don't want Depp and tim burton anywhere near this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sam Rockwell would be my choice
    He'd be great, but after playing a villain already, it'd be unlikely that he'd be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I'd hate to see Phoenix get it. Something about him pisses me off, firstly. Also, I think he'd be awful in the part...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I've seen Cumberbatch mentioned and again I don't think that would be a good choice either

Strange always looked like Stark so we need another RDJ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

At this stage Phoenix could play the tree in the kids school play and be the best thing on the stage, and probably be nominated for a Tony award too.

It would be a big coup for Marvel to get him though and I'm not so sure he would do it. Would love to see it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I't take pretty much anyone but depp for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I't take pretty much anyone but depp for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Corholio wrote: »
    At this stage Phoenix could play the tree in the kids school play and be the best thing on the stage, and probably be nominated for a Tony award too.

It would be a big coup for Marvel to get him though and I'm not so sure he would do it. Would love to see it though.

Really doubt he'd sign a multi-picture deal, which is what they'd be pushing for.

Joaquin Phoenix ‘Doctor Strange’ Talks End; Back To Square One.
    Marvel Studios‘ talks with Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix to play Doctor Strange are kaput. He never had a deal, but Marvel already is getting into it with other actors to play that superhero in a free-standing film.

To be honest as much as I like Phoenix I never saw him as Doctor Strange.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/joaquin-phoenix-doctor-strange-talks-end-marvel-844910/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

kinda weird to hear the doc described as a superhero .

i mean i know he is but ive always seen him as a mystic first, and more of an anti-hero if anything. he'scertainly not a spider man type.

bit like ghost rider and blade. just feels wrong to describe them as a superheros too.

maybe its the supernatural thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just give the role to Garret Dillahunt and be done with the guessing games!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Empire reporting that Ewan McGregor is rumoured to be in talks. Can't say I'm overly pleased about it, he's a good actor but I can't really see him pulling this off. He's also never been convincing with an American accent.

Someone like Eric Bana or Jon Hamm (suggested above) would be my preference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'm not sure McGregor could carry it. Screen rant did an article where they suggested a couple of actors for the role. Most of them par for the course but one suggestion made that I found very interesting was Keanu Reeves.

My wildcard pick would be Brad Pitt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Keanu said recently in a Reddit AMA he'd love to play Doctor Strange if approached AFAIR.

Advertisement