Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

However,pointing out consistently that we have the most restrictive gun laws in the EU as it stands and we still have rising gun crime and politicians who openly admit that passing more gun laws will not solve the problem of gun crime as Aherne did in 08.
    You could really ask what is the logic behind passing just one more law if it solves nothing and restricts the most law abiding further??That's not law that's repression of a segment of society.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Tac, I suppose, That is whats happening. Only the people they listen to are Non experts with agendas - who think the law should ban ownership of firearms. They know that cant be done - so the plan is to draft laws that make it so difficult to licence your firearms you will just give up.

Every TD loves to say they are tough on gun crime - that fact that there is no crime from legally held firearm holders wont get in the way of that soundbite.

Problem is that they're not rewriting the law from scratch, and realistically that's never going to happen - it'd be a massive undertaking and it would genuinely require expertise we don't have (remember, the other half of the firearms act, the bit written for rapists and murderers and drug dealers and terrorists, is a bit outside our area of expertise).

If they restate it, give us a clean baseline, then we can amend it to fix the broken things. And even major changes like one-person-one-licence can be done as amendments (hell, the NTSA has already given them a list of small short amendments that would introduce centralised licencing, it's right there in their statement).

Rewriting from a blank sheet of paper would be nice; but we're never going to be allowed to do it. Plus, it wouldn't completely solve the problems we see with it regularly because those are operational, not legislative problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Submission dead-line No2??

Is there an official statement pertaining to this deadline where the specific details are given! Im just trying to proof read and tidy up my submission but I'm concerned that the spouted date of the 31th might mean that today is the last day especially considering the fact that it's a Friday there by meaning that submissions won't be accepted beyond a specific time..

Anyone able to help a "last min guy"
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    However,pointing out consistently that we have the most restrictive gun laws in the EU as it stands and we still have rising gun crime and politicians who openly admit that passing more gun laws will not solve the problem of gun crime as Aherne did in 08.
    You could really ask what is the logic behind passing just one more law if it solves nothing and restricts the most law abiding further??That's not law that's repression of a segment of society.

Truth.

Hurts some folks, don't it?

The whole point we are trying to make is one that's so ******* obvious that it's painful. Here it is again - Only the law-abiding pay attention to the law - whatever it is.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Submission dead-line No2??

Is there an official statement pertaining to this deadline where the specific details are given! Im just trying to proof read and tidy up my submission but I'm concerned that the spouted date of the 31th might mean that today is the last day especially considering the fact that it's a Friday there by meaning that submissions won't be accepted beyond a specific time..

Anyone able to help a "last min guy"
    Thanks

I worked in the Civil Service for a few years in the '80s.

The Dept. page says "deadline 31st Jan" so you safely have until some time tomorrow, which may be 12 noon, 3pm or 5pm ordinarily.

be sure to send your submission a good 2 hours early, as I have found in many of these things, that something always crops up.

I assume that since a time is not specified, merely a date, that the closing time is 5pm - however, since it is a Saturday it could also be 11.59pm or midnight.

if it was me, I would have it in before noon. But that's only me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As a matter in interest, why was the figure of "3" shot magazine capacity chosen as an acceptable size?
    Was it because there are actually NO Pump or Semi-Auto shotguns available new nor in the past with this size magazine?
    Are the Gardaí concerned about the impact on the pigeon population?

If a criminal steals a shotgun, will the Garda who confronts him be any more reassured knowing that the criminal can have 4 live shells in the shotgun rather than 5?

That three limit has been around for a very long time. No idea why it was chosen. But the problem now isn't the limit so much as the sudden proposed change from the last 90 years where a plugged or crimped magazine was found to be acceptable.

Here in UK -

Three round shotgun? Anybody can have as many as they want on a plain shotgun certificate.

More than three?

Needs a Firearms Certificate, just like a rifle.

One or other versions of this rule is found all over the EU.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sparks wrote: »
    That three limit has been around for a very long time. No idea why it was chosen. But the problem now isn't the limit so much as the sudden proposed change from the last 90 years where a plugged or crimped magazine was found to be acceptable.

It came in back around the turn of the 19th/20th century when there were still market hunters around.These were lads who lived by what they shot in wild fowl and sold in the markets of big cities.This was in the age still of the punt gun and about 100 years before the punt gun was considerd still a very sporting pastime[.If you read any of Col Peter Hawker accounts of the times ].By the turn of the 20th century it was considerd "unsporting " to have more than three shots at winged game, dunno why,but there were still a few oddities around like triple barrel SXSXS or four shot O/U which would suggest some people still wanted more than two shots at things.That and good old fashioned bias of change of traditionalists kind of made the three shot a standard "acceptable norm" in the UK,USA and the Continent.It was never an actual law from the word go anywhere,just became written into one by accepted norms.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

And finally got my submission into the Department as well.
    Here it is, in case anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Nice work, pity the WG's report wasn't as logical.
    Have you considered what might happen if the special recognition given to Olympic Shooting Sports was extended into other sporting pastimes? No bog ball in the Olympics last time I checked.
    (No offence meant to GAA suporters btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Great read although I think Sparks it may **"fall on deaf eyes"**

**as illogical as the WG report itself**

Well o got my submissions in just before midnight. 24pages of hell fire. Lol

BTW. I big thank you to mark dennehy for his persistence and his dogged determination trying to explain the pure silliness of the firearms act and it's ludicrous rules. Good man.. Well done.. It's was never going to easy to explain this..

Also another big thank you to both Mark Dennhey and Damien Hannigan of the Wild deer association of ireland, afaik you were the only to gentlemen who mentioned reloading. Well done lads.

It's seems plainly obivious now that the NGB's are happy to exclude hunters for reloading. Not one NGB raised the issue..

I'm disgusted my this insidious behaviour..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's seems plainly obivious now that the NGB's are happy to exclude hunters for reloading. Not one NGB raised the issue..

I doubt it's insidious behaviour by the NGB's. An oversight perhaps, but hardly insidious.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I doubt it's insidious behaviour by the NGB's. An oversight perhaps, but hardly insidious.

So we have been waiting donkeys years for reloading and when a chance comes along to mention it, it forgotten.

If it's an oversight then it's the biggest one in the sports history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Also another big thank you to both Mark Dennhey and Damien Hannigan of the Wild deer association of ireland, afaik you were the only to gentlemen who mentioned reloading. Well done lads.

Didn't the long rifle association go into great detail about it and invited them all down to mnsci. Admittedly for target shooting but still mentioned it

I'm not that familiar with the current law on reloading.
    At present. Can it only be done in midlands?

Pretty sure Joe Costello mentioned it, since the reason he was there is that the NRAI are the only group doing reloading at the moment and there's a specific head mentioned in the Working Group's report that deals with reloading.

Sir, this is NOT correct.

The VCRAI submitted copious notes on the subject of reloading, not just for the members of the association - who were NOT separately mentioned at all - but for EVERYBODY who has a firearms license who would like to be able to reload just like the rest of Planet Earth, without bunkers, security supervisors, policemen, firemen, Health & Safety inspectors RCOs, special 'reloading certificates' or 'licenses'.

In their own homes.

Or in a garage.

Or in a little garden shed - like I do.

Or on the range, like I do.

On the back of a pick-up truck, like I do.

The VCRAI submission was for EVERYBODY, not just the 'few'. This 'trial' that we are going through effects EVERY shooter in the RoI, not just the 'hunters' and the 'target shooters'. To divide the sport of shooting in this way serves only to give the opposition a stick to beat us over the head - division is NOT what is needed, UNITY is what is needed now.

Ben Franklin had it right a while back - 'Gentlemen, we must all hang together, else we shall most assuredly all hang seperately.'

Thank you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

BTW. I big thank you to mark dennehy for his persistence and his dogged determination trying to explain the pure silliness of the firearms act and it's ludicrous rules. Good man.. Well done.. It's was never going to easy to explain this..

Not entirely correct, if fact Damien Hannigan didn't even mention reloading....Reloading was mentioned on a number of occasions....

"Mr. Joe Costello:
    In response to Deputy Collins, the National Rifle Association of Ireland is based in a range in Offaly at Blueball or midlands range. It is the second largest range in Europe. It was built from our membership fees and moneys and with the work and effort of the members involved.
    It is an approved range and has been inspected and approved by the range inspector. We have had engagement with the Department and the Garda and various branches. As I said, we engaged with them on the firearms consultative panel in the past but more than that, we had a pretty good relationship with the Department of Justice and Equality. We put in a submission, in which I was involved, to advance the idea of ammunition reloading in Ireland. After some negotiation and so on, as one can imagine, we were granted that facility. We are currently the only club in Ireland which is allowed to legally reload rifle ammunition. That was done because it is an essential part of our sport. What we do is somewhat like the Formula One of shooting, where little things mean a lot, as the song says. We try to eliminate all the little things - the cumulative errors and so on. If someone who did not know what was involved in that were to watch somebody loading ammunition for a competition, he or she would probably fall asleep before anything happened.
    However, we have engaged with the Department of Justice and Equality and the department of explosives extensively and they visited the range several times. We had meetings with them once every three or four weeks and there was somebody on the range. Reloading is a section of the legislation, so I offer an invitation to any member, or all interested members, of the committee to visit and to see the facilities."

PS - Well done on getting the submission in.

knockon wrote: »
    We are currently the only club in Ireland which is allowed to legally reload rifle ammunition. That was done because it is an essential part of our sport. What we do is somewhat like the Formula One of shooting, where little things mean a lot, as the song says. We try to eliminate all the little things - the cumulative errors and so on. If someone who did not know what was involved in that were to watch somebody loading ammunition for a competition, he or she would probably fall asleep before anything happened.

Shakes of head.:( These words above are, IMO, blatently patronising and condescending to the large number of shooters in Ireland who can either not afford to join in your freedom to reload, or live too far away, or are hunters and nothing else.

It's not only the best shots who deserve to be allowed to reload, but EVERY person who WANTS to who holds a gun license.

Just like everybody else.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir, this is NOT correct.

The VCRAI submitted copious notes on the subject of reloading, not just for the members of the association - who were NOT separately mentioned at all - but for EVERYBODY who has a firearms license who would like to be able to reload just like the rest of Planet Earth, without bunkers, security supervisors, policemen, firemen, Health & Safety inspectors RCOs, special 'reloading certificates' or 'licenses'.

Tac, be fair. All you've said on here about this before now was:
    The submission from the VCRAI and its members - discussing ALL aspects of shooting sports in the RoI - was submitted last tuesday morning.

tac

You can't blame a guy for not knowing what's in your submission when you don't post it for him to read it. And I can't find it on the VCRAI site either.

Shakes of head.:( These words above are, IMO, blatently patronising and condescending to the large number of shooters in Ireland who can either not afford to join in your freedom to reload, or live too far away, or are hunters and nothing else.
    Tac, if they hadn't done what they did, at great cost to themselves, then the door would have been slammed shut on reloading permanently in this country a few years ago and we'd all be sitting around arguing about how it was stupid that we can't reload at all in Ireland when everyone else outside of Ireland gets to do so.

Instead, the most anti-gun proposals we've seen for a long while actually had to acknowledge that reloading wasn't dangerous and was proposing to amend the law to explicitly allow for it. I don't think the way the AGS proposals wanted to do that was right, but that's not the point - the point is it's gone from being effectively banned, to being practiced under fairly onerous conditions for a few years, to being accepted as safe by even those who want to ban all pistols on public safety grounds.

Would it have been better if more groups, like the NARGC, had stepped up when the NRAI did and pushed for reloading? Hell yes. But that's not what happened (other groups did after the NRAI had, but at the time, they were the only ones to put hand in pocket and go through the hoops that got thrown up on a weekly basis to get the pilot scheme running).

This constant practice of taking pot shots at the NRAI because they spent tens of thousands of euros and saved reloading from the axe is just daft, and at this point in time incredibly counter-productive. If hunters want reloading, why are they yelling at the NRAI about it instead of the NARGC?

I mean, what would you have hoped Joe would say? He's the head of the NRAI, he's got a duty to his members to represent their interests and common sense demands that he not go stepping on other groups' toes. He can't go about representing hunter's interests in reloading to the Joint Committee, there'd be a monumental row five minutes after the Committee meeting ended if he did.

I was unaare that there was a requirment to publicise the submissions of individual organisations, bearing in mind that by submitting one, it moves into the public domain, as we were all reminded in the notes for submissions.

I know nothing of what any other organisation has submitted, nor can I view the oireachtas on-line discussions as the procedure is blocked in this country by 'regional restrictions'.

I therefore rely on the common-sense of those people making submissions to have the best interests of ALL shooters in mind when making their submission, as the VCRAI did when making theirs. If they have made a submission that for some reason is not mutually inclusive of the interests of ALL shooters in the Republic, regardless of their particular area of interest, then, to my mind, that submission is flawed from the onset. This is what happened in the UK back in the days around the ban - because there was not just one voice making itself heard in a concerted manner, only a babble from sundry groups, those most effected by the ban were cr*pped on by their own government, who used the voters' public money to pay the 'compensation'.

tac

I was unaare that there was a requirment to publicise the submissions of individual organisations
    There wasn't. But it's not on to try to tear someone a new one because they didn't read something that you've seen and they haven't.

I apologise if that's the way that you saw it. That was not my intention.

However, it's obvious that we are both trying to get to the same solution but by different roads, although I have to say that your last sentence in post #1282 leaves me wondering about the whole thing.

As long as the diverse shooting groups ARE so diverse that they would rather fight each other rather than agree on a common goal, there will only be one winner.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's not only the best shots who deserve to be allowed to reload, but EVERY person who WANTS to who holds a gun license.

Just like everybody else.

tac
    Insults, vile, and back biting. The same rhetoric from the same source. You speak of unity and a single voice yet in the last few posts you insulted Joe Costello, the NRAI and the members of the reloading scheme in the Midlands.

I've had this same old tired debate with you before and i'm as sick of your crap now as i was then. You cry the same old song about how the VCRAI made a submission for reloading as though it was some enittlement that you did not get. As a rangeless association you were either refused or simply not granted it. The NRAI, based in the MIdlands, were. The NASRPC, NARGC, ICPSA ITS, IPC, etc, etc, etc ALL refused the invitation to apply for reloading.

ALL OF THEM. ALL WITHOUT CONSULTING WITH THEIR MEMBERS.

So the one group to apply for it, to spend over €100K on getting it, and under the constant scrutiny/inspection (with threat of loosing it at any point) of the DoJ/AGS, that manages to get it lines itself up (an unintended consequence) for constant belittlement, insult, and accusations of back room deals by those that did not bother their hole to ask for it, would rather blame the NRAI than look at the inaction of their own NGB or their own short comings. To this day you still do not realise that were the NRAI refused or simply did not seek (and get) it then the debate of reloading would be completely academic as it'd be gone. However i believe some, if not all, would have preferred this because it's the typical attitude of "i don't have it, you do, i can't get it so i'll try destroy it for you".

You never know Tac, perhaps the review committee will do your work for you and dismiss reloading. This'll leave the NRAI/Midlands without reloading. Then no one has it, and no one can ever have it. At which point you can continue to regale us with your wonderful tales of how great it is to STILL be able to reload whenever you want. I for one look forward to it, as it'll end this horses**t once and for all, then you'll have to look to another source to blame for you (well not you personally cause, you know, you can reload) not having reloading.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Apologies in relation to dragging up this argument again.

Tbh Joe Costello done a sterling job, he painted a very professional image of those who reload and I accept the fact that he had to support his clubs interests..

And as far as I'm aware, Damine Hannigan was the only chap that specifically mentioned "Home reloading"

I'm not having a go at anyone, and I'm not trying to, but I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed after watching the whole debate and hearing only 1 stakeholder mention "home reloading".

On another note. I was very impressed with the facts and statistics which sparks made in his written submissions.
    Sparks, you left no stone unturned... I'm glad youre on this side.. Great bit of work which must have taken serious effort and research..
    well done...:-)

Just an addition thought..(and please try to remain calm while reading this-opinion..)

Everyone here, well nearly everyone here keeps claiming that we owe the midland's range and their reloaders at debt of gratitude or at least a possible debt of gratitude, for it seems that they stopped reloading form being banned by keeping it alive.
    And I'm not challenging that concept and I know they spent serious money getting a registered premises sorted and approved. However I must state that their expendure does not give them entitlement and yes, i know they are not claiming that but it could be an influencing part of there thought process. Any company/business is going to try and make a return on their investment, that's just life..

Cast your mind back to section 10a of the firearms act- as amended by section 40 of the CJA2006- which BTW was never actually set into law or commenced.
    This is the only legislation that was axed to the best of my knowledge and I can only assume that it was axed in light of the pilot scheme.
    I don't see how this legislation would have banned anything if it had have been introduced.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here.. But the failure to commence that amendment left all of us with no possible avenue of applying for a reloading licence that only cost €90.. I know people will quote the requirement of a "special need" and they will say this wording was an effective ban in realitity" but imo it's not much different to the current requirement for having a genuine or good reason to aquire a firearm in the first instance. I know it's a return to 'subjective interpretation' but it's still not the "total ban"...that we apparently/narrowly avoided with the supposed intervention of the midlands and co.

Don't go mental reading this, it's genuine and honest opinion.

Personally I could have met this 'special needs' requirement but perhaps others might not have been able to convince the supers. But had this law been implement, then I see it as being far from banning reloading
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/act/pub/0011/sec0072.html
    This opinion has nothing to do with storage requirements and that's another story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Everyone here, well nearly everyone here keeps claiming that we owe the midland's range and their reloaders at debt of gratitude or at least a possible debt of gratitude, for it seems that they stopped reloading form being banned by keeping it alive.
    I've never met anyone in the reloading scheme, either that does it or that helped get it, that would demand genuflection and gratitude on a daily basis for their efforts. Our (NRAI) representatives acted on our (NRAI members) interests and submitted an application as they were invited to by the DoJ. As was everyone else.

They had made enquiries to the DoJ prior to the DoJ issuing application invitations so i suppose to a degree they could be credited with starting the process/opportunities, but at no point do they claim to be the founders of reloading, the instigators of reloading, the controlling body of it, etc. IOW they never did and still do not seek credit for their actions.

What i want, and others have said the same, is that they not to be ridiculed for actually succeeding in getting it where the majority of others never bothered to apply, and the one that did, done so after months and was not in anyway near the same position as the NRAI/Midlands to initiate such a scheme. For years people ridiculed the NRAI as elite, and having done a dirty deal to get reloading. I challenged them to answer this question: What has the NRAI got, that the DoJ cannot simply take away? IOW what could we offer up in trade that they do not already have the power to take. The answer is simple - Nothing. Everything we have and everything we continue to get from them is at their pleasure. Until such a time as they change the reloading laws it'll continue to be run as a pilot scheme, and at their whim.

The reloading scheme was a joint venture by DoJ, AGS, Fire Services, and a host of other local/national departments. We had to constantly change, alter and upgrade our facilities as soon as or even before we finished building them. I know this first hand as i was present from the first sod being turned to the final passing of the facilities. To this day we are still at the whim, and at times these overly strict conditions make it so hard, to impossible, to freely reload that i for one wonder is the expense really worth it.

However up until the introduction of reloading every nation we shot against had reloading and we were still using factory ammo. We were barely hanging onto their coat tails which reloading sorted. So F-Class, and it was only F-Class, needed it. To this day the only reason we can have reloading is for F-Class. So it's no some band of elite shooters reloading for all their shooting needs. I still have to buy my hunting ammo in a shop. My propellant usage, bullet usage, etc. is checked and recorded. All records are checked monthly by AGS & DoJ.

I'll ask you this. Where do you think reloading would be had the NRAI/Midlands not applied for it? If there was no pilot scheme the last 5 years do you think reloading would have a mention on the proposals? Do you think without the scheme that trying to introduce reloading would be easier or harder?
    However I must state that their expendure does not give them entitlement and yes, i know they are not claiming that but it could be an influencing part of there thought process. Any company/business is going to try and make a return on their investment, that's just life.. .
    What entitlement? Read the above. They are as affected by any changes as anyone. More so actually considering that unlike you, who justs talks, they have invested over €100K that could effectively be wiped out if reloading gets turned down. It'll also destroy a sport as we cannot compete at an international level with factory ammo, with no competitors we loose NGB status, the NGB goes back to the English which had it up until 2007. Yes that's right, up until 2007 Ireland was represented by England. A throwback from the colony days. After that the Midlands would either drop in numbers to the extent that it'd be effectively closed or it would actually close. There goes the second largest range in Europe, and largest in the country.

Once again you use assumptions and a flawed thought process or more to the point you think they think as you do to question their motives. They have a set of goals. Much like the NARGC, NASRPC, NTSA, etc all have. All of their representatives covered pieces of the proposals that directly effected their sports. Anything not directly related, they stood their with the other representatives, but allowed those with greater knowledge or more interest to talk. Same with the NRAI and reloading. We have it, and we'd like to keep it. For the moment, and the reasons above, they need to keep it. If it can be introduced into legislation then we have somewhere to start from. Until then we are completely at the mercy of the DoJ. So in order to keep it, for the moment, we must show that the reason we got it, is still valid. now is not the time to go into indepth discussion on the merits of giving it to everyone, to everyone at home, and to allow the free and easy possession of propellant. You're asking too much, too quickly.

Considering the current reloaders are not allowed to reload at home, how open do you think the PTB would be to allowing or even entertaining your ideas that we should all have it, at home, and right now, without security?

Reloading has been something of a personal crusade for you, however you seem to be getting lost in the fact that the proposals are far, far more encompassing that just reloading. What good is reloading if you loose some or most of the guns to reload for? The fact that reloading was mentioned in the proposals is a good thing. IOW it was not ignored. If you have based your entire submission on reloading alone, well frankly you've wasted your voice and 24 pages.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

However I must state that their expendure does not give them entitlement
    I doubt they'd say so, but then I'd also say they already had the entitlement to not be accused of perfidy outright, as has been done in the past...
    Cast your mind back to section 10a of the firearms act- as amended by section 40 of the CJA2006- which BTW was never actually set into law or commenced.
    This is the only legislation that was axed to the best of my knowledge and I can only assume that it was axed in light of the pilot scheme.
    I don't see how this legislation would have banned anything if it had have been introduced.
    It wouldn't have. The ban would have come in in after the 2006 Act.
    Remember, 10A wasn't ever commenced. That's not how things normally work, stuff isn't lost in the shuffle like that, even if the Minister changes (as happened here). But we got a risk-averse Minister before 10A came in and then wallop, 10A never goes anywhere. It wasn't some accident or oversight. So after that, after several months of negotiation and work and somewhere around the hundred grand mark spent on building facilities and so forth, the NRAI pilot scheme set up and officially opened in 2010.
    Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here.. But the failure to commence that amendment left all of us with no possible avenue of applying for a reloading licence that only cost €90
    First off, I don't believe it was a failure, I think it was policy. And secondly, that licence was one you could only have gotten under certain conditions, one of which was having a good reason to reload -- and "saving money" was explicitly not to be accepted as a good reason at the time. And then the whole process started being described as a danger to public safety after 2006, what with all the "high explosives" and "bomb-making materials" that would be licenced to us untrustworthy people (and I recall those terms being used at the time).

Today, instead of there having been a note in the back of the 09 Act or a later Misc. Section like in '06, which banned reloading explicitly, it's an accepted known quantity even by the most anti-firearms members of the AGS. Yeah, it's imperfect and needs fixing and those fixes have been promised for a few years now and not delivered by successive Ministers, but name me one thing in Irish firearms law that doesn't deserve the same description?

Advertisement