Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

busyatwork wrote: »
    Its great to see some progress on the construction of this moterway ,id say it will be well into march before the large earthworks takes place with weather and planning and all that work having to be taking into consideration before you will see any shape taking place

Yeah, the works taking place now will be creating the site offices and compounds for machinery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Its most likely March before the construction works start in earnest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Survey work ongoing at the southern end of the tuam bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Great to see that something's finally happening at last! At times it seemed as though it was never going to happen. Galway to Cork on a Friday evening is an absolute nightmare until you get to Cork. Many's the time I've done less than 10 mph between Oranmore and Gort. Even when you wouldn't expect the roads to be terribly busy you'd get stuck behind some jackass doing maybe 30-40 mph and it's quite hard to get by because there's always such a good flow of traffic on this road (and the overtaking opportunities are so limited).

Although it's not a proper solution for the village, bypassing Claregalway will make some difference there also, certainly for anyone doing say Sligo/Tuam-Oranmore/Gort they will get to avoid the place now. On the rare occasions I do venture up to Sligo, I certainly won't miss being stuck in that village either!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you ever get caught in a traffic jam on the Galway side of Clarinbridge god help ya! Took me 2 hours one bad day to get from Clarinbridge to Eyre Square. Coming out that night it took 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

This is one of the longest from signing the contract to starting construction projects i have ever seen ,work is definitely starting and it will be next year before progress is made on the construction but i for one am glad it is going ahead and it will be know time before the road will be opened and make journeys alot easyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

A site office and yard has been set up on the monivea road, seems to be a sisk yard,

Finally

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Site staff for the designers are being lined up for about March so thats when you will see a serious push

Site staff for the designers are being lined up for about March so thats when you will see a serious push

March? 10months after the contract was signed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Carnacalla wrote: »
    March? 10months after the contract was signed!

I have heard of an engineer returning from Australia in February to start work in March on the project, so that lines up with the above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

They could definitely start clearance and major grading of the route before the final details are designed.
    By now they should be finalizing minor details of the design. It shouldn't hold start of the construction.

But who knows how well the whole project is actually managed, everything is possible...

Geogregor wrote: »
    They could definitely start clearance and major grading of the route before the final details are designed.
    By now they should be finalizing minor details of the design. It shouldn't hold start of the construction.

But who knows how well the whole project is actually managed, everything is possible...

Environmental reason will have a part to play when the clearience will start .On another note someone pointed out to me that these large compannes dont have much interest in working in ireland ,they all seem to be busy abroad and making alot more profit in other countries

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

On another note someone pointed out to me that these large compannes dont have much interest in working in ireland ,they all seem to be busy abroad and making alot more profit in other countries
    Seems highly unlikely - work is work and profits are very variable from project to project as they're dependent on factors out of their control.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Seems highly unlikely - work is work and profits are very variable from project to project as they're dependent on factors out

spacetweek wrote: »
    Seems highly unlikely - work is work and profits are very variable from project to project as they're dependent on factors out

Yes work is work but getting a fleet of plant and machinery orgaised and brought into the country is a big expense, getting suitable men for the job is more hassle
    When you are set up abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

I would like to be positive lets hope we have a motorway to Tuam soon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes work is work but getting a fleet of plant and machinery orgaised and brought into the country is a big expense, getting suitable men for the job is more hassle
    When you are set up abroad
    Yes it take a long time, that's why it was signed in April and work is only starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Stupid question, but how long before this motorway opens? In other words, how long does it take to build a motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Depends.

Closest similar length scheme i could find is M6 Galway-Ballinasloe. Included a good few river bridges and more junctions by comparison to M18 route. Probably got more resources for it due to being a much higher trafficked route. If i recall correctly, it took 2 years (maybe a bit more) from construction to completion. Significantly less fkcking around in the former also.

In my uneducated opinion and based on the above factors I would say Q4 2017 is a decent estimate for completion.

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Stupid question, but how long before this motorway opens? In other words, how long does it take to build a motorway!

2018 is the target for the completion of the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

In my uneducated opinion and based on the above factors I would say Q4 2017 is a decent estimate for completion.

You are probably right, but only if they finally start construction in the next few weeks.

I can also imagine them concentrating on the southern half of the scheme and opening M18 from Gort to M6 before the rest of scheme.

Geogregor wrote: »

I can also imagine them concentrating on the southern half of the scheme and opening M18 from Gort to M6 before the rest of scheme.

Based on all other motorways opened in the last few years, they will open it all in one go and not in sections as you suggest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Based on all other motorways opened in the last few years, they will open it all in one go and not in sections as you suggest

You must have been living in a country other than Ireland dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

D Trent wrote: »
    You must have been living in a country other than Ireland dude

Actually shorter schemes have been opened in one go in recent years.

It is possible that this scheme could be opened in stages: from Gort to the M6 and from the M6 to Tuam.

The m7 was opened in stages. A nice few of them:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Not quite true. The M7 was 3 or 4 projects separate e.g Castletown to nenagh was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And so was the M6. To the Dublin side of Ballinasloe first I think, then a while later after the bridge was built in ballinasloe the rest of it opened. Indeed that "rest of it" was used in the flooding emergency as well when craughwell was impassable if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The way I remember it is, M4 Lucan to Kilcock first, then onto Kinnegad, then onto Mullingar bypass. Then they opened the m6 as far as Kilbeggan, then as far as Athlone, then the short stretch to Ballinasloe East and finally the N6 company controlled Ballinasloe to Galway.

It will be opened in one scheem id say ,because its all one project like the m6 balinasloe to galway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It will be opened in one scheem id say ,because its all one project like the m6 balinasloe to galway

The M7 Limerick to Nenagh was one project too, but was opened in sections. It does happen sometimes and could very well happen here on such a long scheme.

Advertisement