Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Donovan [Showtime] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The last three seasons, iirc, have ended with:

Ray takes out the gangstas to protect his family
    Ray takes out the Armenians to protect his family
    Ray takes out the Russians to protect his family.

Next season it'll be the triads, then the mafia, then the yakuza, then the scientologists.

Ray taking out the scientologists would be box office stuff to be fair. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Agreed with the above. The ending was very meh. It was all a bit too neat and clean for my liking.

The show is in serious danger of becoming extremely repetitive. It's just becoming a series of challenges and dilemmas being put in front of Ray that he always deals with in a relatively short amount of time.
    That's the whole concept of the show

tom_k wrote: »
    Agree with all the above, it's gone a bit too Sons of Anarchy for my liking i.e. split up and slaughter the enemy in the last 5 minutes.

And of course promptly attend a party and dance around still spattered with the blood of freshly murdered corpses.

The show must also by now have surpassed the records set by Boardwalk Empire and Banshee for quantities of whiskey drank :pac:

I actually went and got a whiskey half way through the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The piano song they used for ... that.. part of the episode:
    https://soundcloud.com/julienmarchal/xviii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Really fantastic piece of music for that part of the episode, it fit seamlessly. While the plot can sometimes be poor and anti-climactic, the overall production of the show is stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just caught up on Seasons 3 & 4 back to back over the last 2 weeks having not watched since Season 2 aired about 2 years ago. I quite like the show, but as others have pointed out it has its (creative) peaks and troughs. Schreiber and Voight are excellent in their respective roles as Ray and Mickey, but I feel the show would be better served if Ray was a single man with no wife & kids (which would be more likely IMO given his occupation) and his only siblings were Terry and Daryl, with Avi & Lena also allowed to stay in my version :). Bunchie (like Ray's wife & kids) does nothing for me. The production values of the show are right up there with anything on tv at the moment but it suffers at times from poor script writing, which is a real shame as the acting talent on display (recurring and seasonal guest) deserves better. Though it's quite good and indeed superior to most TV currently out there, it could be outstanding had a little more thought and effort gone into the writing. I'll still stick around for S5 though (and beyond if that happens).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anywhere to watch this?

I watched season 1 and really enjoyed it, afaik its not on Netflix or sky box sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Dcully wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch this?

I watched season 1 and really enjoyed it, afaik its not on Netflix or sky box sets.
    Season 2 and 3 are on amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Announced today that season 5 will start on August 6th.

• Advertisement

Full Trailer

Ya know, this show doesn't really feel like one where I'd watch trailers for it (though I just did).

I dunno, It kinda feels like the scene to scene and interconnected story that makes it.

It's back.

It can be spoiled.

Gutted there when I realised.

I wondered what happened. Looks like it's part of the story:
    https://tvline.com/2017/08/06/ray-donovan-season-5-paula-malcomson-abby-dies-cancer/
    "It was a narrative decision."
    and
    "How much time has lapsed between seasons?
    About 10 months."

Gotta be a big part of this season with flashbacks is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

When will it be/has it been on Sky? My series planner doesn't seem to have picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

When will it be/has it been on Sky? My series planner doesn't seem to have picked it up.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/344f2c21-2d55-47a2-a098-6b5e85a10116

Series 5 starts 16 August

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I was a bit disappointed with the 1st episode. Not much happened. At least the son
    is in the army now.
    With some luck we won't see much of him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have a theory about tonight's episode
    Spoiler do not look at the picture unless you want to potentially spoil it for yourself, also may be NSFW
    is the girl that caused the accident the same one that just killed her husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I thought the exact same when it showed that flashback at the start of the episode

I don't think that's in question. They've shown
    her
    a lot.

It's the knowing
    that Abby is going to die
    that's gonna slowly but surely have the biggest impact this season from what I can tell.

• Advertisement

She certainly doesn't mind taking her clothes off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mc Love wrote: »
    She certainly doesn't mind taking her clothes off.

I'm very familiar with her work in Banshee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm very familiar with her work in Banshee ;)

Mystery solved for me, I couldn't remember what I saw her in.

Ray has a habit of throwing the leg over the women who hire him even when he was married so it's doubtful he will be able to resist this latest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I wasn't too high on the first few episodes (the flashbacks were odd) of this season but the latest episode really picked up with Bunch getting bunched (again!) and Mickey getting his hands dirty(again!). And the Susan Sarandon plot thickening a bit is helping. Hope it finds pacenow and picks up.

I literally said "You're an idiot" at the screen when Bunch decided to go get food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm only on Sky pace, but Ray sleepwalking into having sex with the women he works for (and he never seems to be that interested in them) is getting a bit tired.

Slydice wrote: »
    I literally said "You're an idiot" at the screen when Bunch decided to go get food.

Poor Bunch - I thought he would have at least put up more of a fight!

Approaching confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

I'm only on Sky pace, but Ray sleepwalking into having sex with the women he works for (and he never seems to be that interested in them) is getting a bit tired.

Yeah and it's also a bit tired that they always happen to be gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The flashbacks are a pain in the arse.

Advertisement