Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Hey can anyone help me with this, not sure if its allowed but, ive a jailbroken ipod touch ios 4.0, and have cydia with installous installed. One thing I cant seem to figure out. When I download a app through installous on my ipod, when I sync it then with my pc, it deletes the downloaded hacked apps. How can I set it to sync with my pc even though they are hacked? Like that they will send the app over to my pc also like if I had downloaded the app through the app store app on the ipod/iphone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Yeah I have an at&t sim so activation doesn't seem to be a problem.

I tried doing what you suggested. Got caught at the hosts file part - couldn't find any address for apple which I could change (in fact my hosts file is tiny and apparently contains no web addresses for some reason). I tried just putting in an address for apple (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com- which I found in a youtube video) but I then couldn't save my edits to the file (despite the fact that I'm an administrator on this computer).

What should I do next? I ran redsn0w before a few times and got stuck at the reboot stage (the phone just wouldn't turn back on, I had to put it into recovery mode through itunes to get it to respond). Should I do that again and when it conks out try irecovery?

Also anyone out there know if Sn0wbreeze 2.0 will be able to unlock a 3gs with 4.0.2 firmware?
    My phone died on me couple days ago, completely froze, no choice but to restore to factory settings and would only let me do a 4.0.2 upgrade on itunes.

its a 3gs on 4.0.2 and nowhere seems to have a jailbreak or unlock yet, is this right? any sign of a new fix coming?

i have no old bootroot to downgrade the software and im proper pissed off,
    any suggestions?

would the unlock shops have software to unlock for me even, have no prob paying for it, im pucked with no phone!

EDIT

http://areacellphone.com/2010/08/ios-accidental-upgrade-how-downgrade-jailbreak/

This saved me, downgraded to 4.0.1 and jailbreakme'd , was hairy for a while though.

Im pretty useless at this kind of stuff and was surprised i managed it and am very very grateful to the boys who make the fixes and ill even donate some moolah to them.

I had same prob as you, downgrade to 4.0.1 restore phone with at sim and use jailbreakme directly onto the phone, takes about 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Also to add, mine was never saved to cydia nor did it have old bootroom and it worked just fine, ive not been so relieved in ages.

follow areacellphone step for step, only prob i encountered was i could change my hosts to a non txt. file but it still worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 valmurph8038

Also to add, mine was never saved to cydia nor did it have old bootroom and it worked just fine, ive not been so relieved in ages.

Hmm Im not sure but I think that if you have cydia on your phone then it automatically saves a copy (or "bob") of your old firmware. Could be that the computer just found it for you automatically. Of course my phone has never been jailbroken or had cydia installed.

Anyway you are the second person to recommend doing this so I suppose Ill give it a shot. I really don't want to have to restore the phone again though as Ive just put all my music etc on there, but I guess it has to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 valmurph8038

Wow that worked!!!! I now have an unlocked iphone!!! after all that trying and failing its such a relief to finally get it working.

Major thanks to hshortt, ringadingding and Damian Duffy for all their help!!! you guys are legends!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

:mad::mad::mad:

Do I need to have winzip in order to download redsnow from iClarified website?

I downloaded the redsnow file but when I went to open it it says purchase winzip... wtf?

I have a 3G (16gb) I-Phone;

Running on 4.0.1
    Locked to O2

I just want to unlock it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭grolschmore

john-joe wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad:

Do I need to have winzip in order to download redsnow from iClarified website?

I downloaded the redsnow file but when I went to open it it says purchase winzip... wtf?

I have a 3G (16gb) I-Phone;

Running on 4.0.1
    Locked to O2

I just want to unlock it :(

just use jailbreakme.com on the iphone itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hmm...I take it this is total BS? lol at the price.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/08/prweb4414024.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

follow areacellphone step for step, only prob i encountered was i could change my hosts to a non txt. file but it still worked
    apple still sign old firmware for a while after new firmware is released so thats prob the reason it worked but be careful, it wont work all the time

So 4.0.2 will not be jailbreakable :(
    Pretty annoyed at inadvertently upgrading 4.0.2 when I had troubles with my initial JB on the iphone 4.
    I wonder how long til 4.1 is out and breakable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Quick question. My phone is JB and unlocked on 3.1.3.

If i upgrade to 4.0.2 can then downgrade to 4.0 and still unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

When I jailbroke my phone (last week) I clicked the make my life easier button in cydia. When i open tinyumbrella now to grab the shsh files its only giving me those for 4.0.2 (the phone is still on 4.0.1 never updated)

Is this because apple finished signing 4.0.1 or should I still be able to get the files?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm on 3.1.2 on a tethered jailbreak (its made after that specific week, 48 or something) Is there anyway i can now get a jailbreak without tethered?

zuutroy wrote: »
    So 4.0.2 will not be jailbreakable :(
    Pretty annoyed at inadvertently upgrading 4.0.2 when I had troubles with my initial JB on the iphone 4.
    I wonder how long til 4.1 is out and breakable?
    there prob wont be another jb until 4.1, did u ever click make my life easier in cydia
    Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Quick question. My phone is JB and unlocked on 3.1.3.

If i upgrade to 4.0.2 can then downgrade to 4.0 and still unlock?
    not as simple as that, open cydia and across the top in green writing it will tell you what firmware blobs it has saved, if 4 or 4.0.1 are ther have a look here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67716724&postcount=2
    eireal wrote: »
    When I jailbroke my phone (last week) I clicked the make my life easier button in cydia. When i open tinyumbrella now to grab the shsh files its only giving me those for 4.0.2 (the phone is still on 4.0.1 never updated)

Is this because apple finished signing 4.0.1 or should I still be able to get the files?
    hit the nail on the head, just check what FW blobs cydia has saved
    Senna wrote: »
    I'm on 3.1.2 on a tethered jailbreak (its made after that specific week, 48 or something) Is there anyway i can now get a jailbreak without tethered?
    yes if ya have FW blobs for 3.1.3 4 or 4.0.1
    if ya have a 3G ya might be better off upgrading to 3.1.3 and using spirit to jb, have a look here for upgrading http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67716724&postcount=2

I just found this for anyone looking to downgrade a 3gs from 4.02 to 4.01 only that didnt have blobs saved

http://www.gadgetsdna.com/downgrade-ios-4-0-2-to-ios-4-0-1-without-shsh-blobs/5764/

It was only posted this morning Im unsure if it works for an iphone 4, if anyone has a 4 on 4.02 and tries it can they let me know

I just found this for anyone looking to downgrade a 3gs from 4.02 to 4.01 only that didnt have blobs saved

http://www.gadgetsdna.com/downgrade-ios-4-0-2-to-ios-4-0-1-without-shsh-blobs/5764/

It was only posted this morning Im unsure if it works for an iphone 4, if anyone has a 4 on 4.02 and tries it can they let me know

Tried this and I'm getting the 3194 error during the bit where it says its verifying the restore. (driver signing) even after having modified the host file in system32. Not sure what to do to get around it.

Did you put your phone into DFU mode? Is it a 3gs or 4 your trying it on?

Did you put your phone into DFU mode? Is it a 3gs or 4 your trying it on?

Yeah it was in DFU and was an iphone 4

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

My Youtube stopped working on iPhone 4 on 4.01 , Any ideas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

anyone know if o2 will unlock iphone 4 for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭melikebanana

I have just got an iphone 4. My old 3gs was 4.0.1, jailbroken and backed up to itunes. My new iphone was firmware 4.0.1 and I have just Jailbroken using jailbreakme. The question is can I do a restore from backup (The 3gs backup) in Itunes without losing my jailbreak on the new phone. Will it update to 4.0.2.

Slipshaney wrote: »
    anyone know if o2 will unlock iphone 4 for me?

If it's bill pay yes and if it's prepay they will once ya have topped up 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Help!!!!
    Updated a frineds iphone 3gs to 4.0.2 by accident as i didnt really know what i was doing (it was previously unlocked to all networks) and now its locked again giving the no service message!!!
    Ive downgraded to 4.0 again (managed to figure that part out) but the iphone is stuck on the activation screen, what should i do, i feel awful :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Davie89 wrote: »
    Help!!!!
    Updated a frineds iphone 3gs to 4.0.2 by accident as i didnt really know what i was doing (it was previously unlocked to all networks) and now its locked again giving the no service message!!!
    Ive downgraded to 4.0 again (managed to figure that part out) but the iphone is stuck on the activation screen, what should i do, i feel awful :(:(

Stick whatever networks sim its locked too into it

it was bought in america, so its locked to AT&T, and i happen to love in cork :(

Order one of eBay or something ,

theres no other method of activating it?

Davie89 wrote: »
    theres no other method of activating it?
    Don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

I have an iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2. It's currently jailbroken but it's tethered. Could someone point me towards step-by-step instructions for upgrading it to 4.01 and unlocking it? It has a meteor sim card in it (but it was bought from O2).
    Also, will it still be tethered if I unlock it on the upgrade?

Thanks, I'm not the most tech-savvy of individuals!

Advertisement