Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Have to say I'm not a fan of how salubrious hannibal's cell is, despite the memory palace or not. Though it was a great contrast in the films of the unfinished rock that almost mirrored Jame Gumb's well to the refined nature of Hannibal's taste (and I don't mean palate)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I really liked the episode and the direction the show is going!

The talk between Hannibal and Chilton about how Hannibal only appeared to niche audience hit me hard since we know the cancellation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Fantastic so far, I'm thrilled we're at least getting to see the Red Dragon storyline. Disappointed that we won't see what they'll do with the Silence storyline too, that would be all sorts of amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I'm in two minds about that last episode. I was excited to get back to the beginning, and back to Will's analysis of scenes ("This is my design") and I 'awwed' when they revealed Will did end up with Molly.

I think Richard Armitage has introduced the character well, but the back story for Dolarhyde seemed far too rushed. It seemed more like the introduction of an over-excited killer, rather than the tormented and damaged socio/psychopath that Dolarhyde is.

Yes it's a TV show, and it has to be done quickly, but I don't think a montage was the right way!

Only complaint. Otherwise great ep. Looking forward to #9...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So is this still being shopped around or is a season 4 def a no go? I honestly have a feeling this would do well for a streaming service and that it is probably downloaded a lot more than watched when it airs hense the low ratings (although the pace and overly artsy -ness of the first few eps probably didn't help with ratings)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So is this still being shopped around or is a season 4 def a no go? I honestly have a feeling this would do well for a streaming service and that it is probably downloaded a lot more than watched when it airs hense the low ratings (although the pace and overly artsy -ness of the first few eps probably didn't help with ratings)

I'd say it's over and done now.

Both Amazon & Netflix turned down a chance to pick it up and the cast were all released from their contracts a few weeks back that usually means the end.

The leads won't be out of work long and will be tied to new contracts so I can't see anyway back for it in the foreseeable future anyway.

I'd say it's over and done now.

Both Amazon & Netflix turned down a chance to pick it up and the cast were all released from their contracts a few weeks back that usually means the end.

The leads won't be out of work long and will be tied to new contracts so I can't see anyway back for it in the foreseeable future anyway.

Could be wrong but I remember seeing Amazon were opened to the idea but Fuller said that they would want all the episodes out and ready to stream far too soon and felt that they were not giving him enough time as before to shoot it the way he wanted too. I look for a source to that later when I'm finished work, I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain I read that.

Agree though, sadly looks like the end of Hannibal

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I remember seeing Amazon were opened to the idea but Fuller said that they would want all the episodes out and ready to stream far too soon and felt that they were not giving him enough time as before to shoot it the way he wanted too. I look for a source to that later when I'm finished work, I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain I read that.

Agree though, sadly looks like the end of Hannibal

I got it from Bryan Fuller's tweet that they both passed on it.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/618179704147718145

I got it from Bryan Fuller's tweet that they both passed on it.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/618179704147718145

Initially I thought so too, but after reading comments he made at comic con it seems they we're interested in taking it on but wanted to jump straight in which Fuller wasn't prepared to do. They probably passed on it due to his terms, but still some good sign that they were interested.
    "[They] wanted to do it very quickly and I wanted to be able to get all the scripts in advance before we started shooting a fourth season and their desire to put it out immediately was impossible for us to do," said Fuller.

Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-amazon-didnt-save-hannibal-from-cancellation-2015-7?r=US&IR=T#ixzz3hBkGzmzn

I doubt well ever see a 4th season, at least they shot this season aware that they could get the axe so it is meant to have an ending that could satisfy as a series finale. Still would have loved to see a 4th season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Is this worth watching past season 1? Just finished season 1 and really dislike Will Graham's character. I got sick of his hallucinations and his shaking and sweating and closing his eyes and knowing exactly how the crime happened. I would prefer some decent detective work. Does it have the same formula for the next two seasons? hannibals character is great though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is this worth watching past season 1? Just finished season 1 and really dislike Will Graham's character. I got sick of his hallucinations and his shaking and sweating and closing his eyes and knowing exactly how the crime happened. I would prefer some decent detective work. Does it have the same formula for the next two seasons? hannibals character is great though.

The first episode of season 2 sets up a "12 weeks earlier" scenario/hook that runs through until 2.13.

I'm a little hazy on the specifics of whether, outside of the main arc, there's much decent detective work. If you're invested in Hannibal himself, stick with it. Plenty of blood is still shed. The Hannibal/Will relationship and a focus on Will himself doesn't go away, if that's your concern...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭smilerf

The first episode of season 2 sets up a "12 weeks earlier" scenario/hook that runs through until 2.13.

I'm a little hazy on the specifics of whether, outside of the main arc, there's much decent detective work. If you're invested in Hannibal himself, stick with it. Plenty of blood is still shed. The Hannibal/Will relationship and a focus on Will himself doesn't go away, if that's your concern...
    There was a good bit of detective work
    "Peter is your Social Worker in that horse" best quote ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

3x09
    Not a bad episode. I only had to problems with it
    - the red dragon or tooth fairy is played by a very ordinary actor. It's unfortunately the character has already been depicted on screen by two much better actors.
    - Alana's god-awful striped suit. And also her presence results in Dr. Chilton's absence as she is playing his role in this depiction of the story.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

the red dragon or tooth fairy is played by a very ordinary actor.
    I think Richard Armitage is doing a great job. He's always been able to do coiled intensity very well and I think it's playing very strongly to this role. So far a great choice in my opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Lord Hat

It's disappearing up its own bobo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I think it's more the actor that's the issue, rather than the character. Stick with it though, Hannibal becomes more of the central figure the longer it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

3x09
    Not a bad episode. I only had to problems with it
    - the red dragon or tooth fairy is played by a very ordinary actor. It's unfortunately the character has already been depicted on screen by two much better actors.
    - Alana's god-awful striped suit. And also her presence results in Dr. Chilton's absence as she is playing his role in this depiction of the story.

http://collider.com/richard-armitage-hannibal-tv-performer-of-the-week

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've just watched episode 9. This show has become the epitome of style over substance.
    I've come this far so I'll stick it out until the end.

For what it's worth, Armitage is doing a great job. Very creepy.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Lord Hat

Mr E wrote: »
    I've just watched episode 9. This show has become the epitome of style over substance.
    I've come this far so I'll stick it out until the end.

For what it's worth, Armitage is doing a great job. Very creepy.

I agree with the style over substance point. It's a pity. It peaked in season 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It took me a few seconds to remember who Will's wife was and what she looked like...

Hannibal's nose, needling Will. He drained Abagail's blood and broke Will's sanity, both purposefully. Things could head in that direction, once again. Alana continues to run point on psych duty, finger wagging, ball talk (black box junk coverage) and plenty more included in this one. A lack of courtesy towards Hannibal, and all the cooking and ingredients talk, surely a recipe for another session of eating the rude.

We have our Francis Dolarhyde and his first human connection thanks to a lack of sympathy. Boundaries for him and Reba, and for Hannibal, as mentioned. Did you notice the 'open wide' dental bus poster? Surely a wink to Dolarhyde's recent purchase and name.

The scene with Jack was a reminder of Lecter's ability to make his point and yes, one needs to consider the neighbours when admiring moonlight whilst in the nip.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Blood in the moonlight appears quite black, apparently. One would need privacy for that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Very disappointed with season 3. Half the series taken up with Hannibal on the run, It's a prequel to Red Dragon why not capture Hannibal in Ep 2, allow the audience to see Crawford struggle with The Tooth Fairy and Graham get on with his life and Hannibal behind bars.

Even the last 2 eps with Hannibal behind bars, is he in the lap of luxury or are we just seeing what Hannibal is thinking of his surroundings?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Elmo wrote: »
    Even the last 2 eps with Hannibal behind bars, is he in the lap of luxury or are we just seeing what Hannibal is thinking of his surroundings?

My take on it is that it's his mind-palace we're seeing but he isn't able to keep it up so it's getting weaker and weaker as it goes on, I'm guessing it was going to be a case of the end of the current series it'd be almost gone only to have Agent Starling bring it back which would bring up his end game.

Clareman wrote: »
    My take on it is that it's his mind-palace we're seeing but he isn't able to keep it up so it's getting weaker and weaker as it goes on, I'm guessing it was going to be a case of the end of the current series it'd be almost gone only to have Agent Starling bring it back which would bring up his end game.

For some reason they have said they don't have the rights to starling's character and a few others from SoTL think MGM hold them or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think its perhaps for the best that they can't introduce Starling to the show. The female characters in the show have generally been badly written apart from Abigail and a few guest stars. Interesting to see who they end killing off in the Red Dragon storyline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Elmo wrote: »
    For some reason they have said they don't have the rights to starling's character and a few others from SoTL think MGM hold them or something

Fro some reason I always had the end of the season being something like him standing up to get ready for his iconic positioning when him looking at the camera with "Dr. Lector" being said in the background, no need to say who it is, everyone would just know. The next season could then just skip the whole Lambs story and start brand new lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

Thought that was an excellent episode. Especially the first fifteen minutes with the back and forth between Will and Hannibal and Hannibal constantly poking Will about his dark side.

On the cell. It's not part of his memory palace, as even when the focus shifts to another character the room stays the same. I think it's a "courtesy" offered by Alana as an attempt to get Hannibal to comply and/or a sort of 'thank you' for saving Will, getting the sperm from Mason and also taking the rap for Mason's death.

It also gives Alana something to threaten him with. As she does this episode.

Also on that Hannibal Alana interaction, this was great dialogue:

"Are you here to wag your finger?"
    "You know I love a good finger wagging"
    "Yes, you do. How IS Margot?"

I mean, come on! :P

I am getting bored of it all for god sake just get on with the story. How to drag and drag and drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Jesus Bedelia…

• Advertisement

Tick tock.

The Debussy fandom continues - have been fortunate enough to hear Claire de Lune live. Will now has a face to work with. That was a pretty deft move FD move pulled taking out the museum woman. Hannibal's phone trick was old school. The scene with Bedelia's patient was yack!

Proximity is everything, as is identity.

Advertisement