Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You comment is not for this thread... take it to feedback.

Can we PLEASE get back on topic?
    psni i think you are coming across agressive,you will put people off this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonos

CO19 wrote: »
    Thanks for that J,seemed to be the usual type of interview they give.
    its definetly a big big bonus if u are doing volentary work. i think age is a big factor too. how mature u are. they didnt ask me did i want to join the full time guards and i wondered would it be a good thing or a bad thing if i told them my main motivation behind joining the garda reseve was that it would stand to me in an interview for the full time guards

maybe there is someone here that have been a reserve and then they have joined the full time guards. im sure been in the reserves would nearly definetly get u into the full time guards.
    would i be correct in assuming this?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

jasonos wrote: »
    i think age is a big factor too. how mature u are.

J I'm 20, full time in college and yes they seem like to hear that you intend to join the full time force in the future and being a reserve does give you a great boost when appying to the full time force.
    Also check your PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kilkcat

i was asked qestions like to do with team work and how it would be applied to the reserves. i was asked what kind of volentary work do i do. they asked me do i no the gardai in my community. they asked me what kind of volutary organisations are there for the elderly. they asked my questions on my job like would i be a leader and they asked would i prefer to be in a team or work by myself. they asked me what kind of difficulties have i faced and how did i deal with them they asked me what would type of challenges would a reserve meet. they asked me what would my least favourite part of the job be. they asked me how much time do i spend doing volentary work..

im sure there are more but i have forgotten. the whole interview was about 25 mins long and they were friendly.

hi,were you asked to name the local guards that you knew?:confused:

kilkcat wrote: »
    hi,were you asked to name the local guards that you knew?:confused:
    yes i was asked what was his name was and he asked me what station was he in and how well did i no him.
    i thought it was kind of odd actually

• Advertisement

yes i was asked what was his name was and he asked me what station was he in and how well did i no him.
    i thought it was kind of odd actually

hi jasonos,its actually my son had interview.he knows a few local gardai purely through our local GAA club.he did'nt know whether to name em,but i'd imagaine you cant refuse to answer a question either.He's a bit worried bout that!

hi jasonos,its actually my son had interview.he knows a few local gardai purely through our local GAA club.he did'nt know whether to name em,but i'd imagaine you cant refuse to answer a question either.He's a bit worried bout that!
    The more gardai u no the better, obviously if u no them for the right reasons would be better.
    i hope he said he was a big gaa man, shor the guards love the gaa.
    i had an interview with the guards a few years back and the last 10 mins of the interview consisted of me and the super talkin about gaa it turned out he knew my father who played for the county and thats how the conversation started up
    i still didnt pass the interview though

The more gardai u no the better, obviously if u no them for the right reasons would be better.
    i had an interview with the guards a few years back and the last 10 mins of the interview consisted of me and the super talkin about gaa it turned out he knew my father who played for the county and thats how the conversation started up

he had opposite in interview,ur man told him to leave GAA aside n say wot else he was involved in,which wud be nothing!!!big into hurling!i had told him to harp on bout Hurling and being part of a club dont think ur man was havin any of it!:(

he had opposite in interview,ur man told him to leave GAA aside n say wot else he was involved in,which wud be nothing!!!big into hurling!i had told him to harp on bout Hurling and being part of a club dont think ur man was havin any of it!:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Guys can we please refrain from using text speak? I know this came up before on another thread in this forum, and I would like to bring it to the attention of regulars here. Text speak is not allowed on nearly every forum on this site. If you are looking to join the GR, then I suggest you get used to using the correct spelling of words now for statements, forms etc.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

oh thats a pity. it depends on the interviewer, im sure they are fairly wise to the gaa antics by now.

i got the letter today saying i passed my interview. I'm happy on a monday for once.
    whats next does anyone know?

oh thats a pity. it depends on the interviewer, im sure they are fairly wise to the gaa antics by now.

i got the letter today saying i passed my interview. I'm happy on a monday for once.
    whats next does anyone know?

See, told you you would ;).
    Next thing is they send you out the GR 2 form and you can be called for the medical also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Finally got notice of my first interview! I know, a bit far behind some of you's who have already had there medicals. Kinda nervous about the whole thing. Really hope its goes well because I really want to join the full time guards, and this is a great chance. Farely confident about the interview............................slight problem is, im only 18. :mad: Anyone know if this will effect me?!?

Finally got notice of my first interview! I know, a bit far behind some of you's who have already had there medicals. Kinda nervous about the whole thing. Really hope its goes well because I really want to join the full time guards, and this is a great chance. Farely confident about the interview............................slight problem is, im only 18. :mad: Anyone know if this will effect me?!?

Hi Greydiamond,my son is 20 and he wants to join full-time gaurds too.He has passed the interview for the reserves just a short while ago.He was worried that they were looking for more mature people,but he was thrilled to hear he passed.Best of luck in your interview.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Had my interview today........really hope it went well. Ha, thought the written exercise was funny. Would really wanna update some of thoses pictures from the beach exercise :D As for the actual interview.............god they really know how to put you under pressure with some of the questions. :eek: Found the guard really nice, but the other woman was pretty scary..........................guess they were playing good cop bad cop:p

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey all, i did my interview today, i dont think it went all dat well but on the other hand i think i did really good in the writing ecercise :) There didnt seem to be too many doing the interview and writing excercise in cork today, there was only 5 doing it :eek:

What made you think it didn't go well ?

Am i kinda hesitated on a few answers and i didnt finish them rght!! The Superintendant was sound out tho.... the public appointments women wasnt so nice ...:)

Ah I wouldn't say that would go against you being a bit hesitant sure they couldn't expect instant on the spot answers all the time, some of the questions require you to think a bit and you're not the only one to think the one from the public appoinments wasn't nice a few posts above another person said the same about his one,either way I wouldn't be worried about it ;) .

Hey! I got a letter today, i passed the interview and the written excercise!:D They rang me today and they said that they will e-mail me the Gr2 form today!! Do anyone know what comes afetr the Gr2 form? And what does the physical consist of? Like another-words what can i do to train for the physical test??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

It says on the PAS website that it can take up to 6 months to get an interview date from initial application...Have most people had to wait that long or was it less than that? Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Just applied for the reserve yesterday. What is the typical waiting time for being called for interview, or can it be any length of time. Just wondering because I will be gone for a nice bit of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Just applied for the reserve yesterday. What is the typical waiting time for being called for interview, or can it be any length of time. Just wondering because I will be gone for a nice bit of the summer.

I applied yesterday also and from my research it seems to vary among areas and whether they are looking for reserves or not...It can take up to 6months to get a call for an interview

I applied in January and I only got a letter last Tuesday asking me to fill in the interview form if I was still interested in it,I filled it in but I'm still waiting on them to get back to me with a date and time,so you're looking at at least a 3 month wait for some kind of contact unless you're lucky and get a quicker response.

I was called for my interview and written in Cork in feb passed that, i handed in my Gr2 to my local station bout 2 nd a half weeks ago and im still waiting for a phone call from the super/seargent............:D;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I applied yesterday also and from my research it seems to vary among areas and whether they are looking for reserves or not...It can take up to 6months to get a call for an interview

hi Kerry4sam,hav'nt been on these boards for quite a while,but was following ur progress on the garda boards.so sorry to hear ur news.my son did aptitude in oct '07.he failed.he had applied for the reserves as well.about 6 months later he got word that he had an interview,he passed that.sent in backround checks in late Feb.Got a call about 2 weeks ago 2 go see the Superintendant,but he was working so could'nt go.said they'd ring with an appointment,but he heard nothing since.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

hi Kerry4sam,hav'nt been on these boards for quite a while,but was following ur progress on the garda boards.so sorry to hear ur news.my son did aptitude in oct '07.he failed.he had applied for the reserves as well.about 6 months later he got word that he had an interview,he passed that.sent in backround checks in late Feb.Got a call about 2 weeks ago 2 go see the Superintendant,but he was working so could'nt go.said they'd ring with an appointment,but he heard nothing since.:rolleyes:

certainly was a shock to the system but the drive and extra determination that i've got since then, from the feedback and support from people here on boards has been great :)
    You know i don't have the same drive for the reserves that i have for an G.S. and don't mind when i get called for an interview...if it's 6months that'll be fine as i'll be re-applying for the G.S. then aswell, although the sooner i get stuck into the reserves the sooner i gain hands-on experience and have my backgrounds checks done which will also speed up my application for An G.S. but it'll happen in it's own good time.

As you've probably guessed my heart lies with An G.S. and that's my main aim, that's the career i want to pursue at length...Your son would be able re-apply for An G.S. in a few weeks when the campaign opens again at the start of May...has he any interest in doing so? The fact that he has got this far with the reserves will stand to him should he get to the interview stage as by then he would have had his main interview with the reserves and all that experience will do him no harm at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Hi guys, im new to this thread. Was down at the open day yesterday and it was excellent. All the new recruits were there and they seemed to be having a great time! I was there because I'm interested in becoming a Garda but I still have two more years to do in college. I got some great info on the Reserves so I applied yesterday when I got home.
    I'm 21 and from Dublin and am really keen on getting in. Do I have much of a chance? By the way is it a 6 month waiting list in Dublin and how do they contact you??

Cheers!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    certainly was a shock to the system but the drive and extra determination that i've got since then, from the feedback and support from people here on boards has been great :)
    You know i don't have the same drive for the reserves that i have for an G.S. and don't mind when i get called for an interview...if it's 6months that'll be fine as i'll be re-applying for the G.S. then aswell, although the sooner i get stuck into the reserves the sooner i gain hands-on experience and have my backgrounds checks done which will also speed up my application for An G.S. but it'll happen in it's own good time.

As you've probably guessed my heart lies with An G.S. and that's my main aim, that's the career i want to pursue at length...Your son would be able re-apply for An G.S. in a few weeks when the campaign opens again at the start of May...has he any interest in doing so? The fact that he has got this far with the reserves will stand to him should he get to the interview stage as by then he would have had his main interview with the reserves and all that experience will do him no harm at all
    Thats what he's hoping anyway.yep,he's waiting for An G.S.to come up again.fair play to you Kerry4sam,ur very determined,the very best of luck to you next time round.at least you'll kinda know whats ahead of you.:)

• Advertisement

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hi guys, im new to this thread. Was down at the open day yesterday and it was excellent. All the new recruits were there and they seemed to be having a great time! I was there because I'm interested in becoming a Garda but I still have two more years to do in college. I got some great info on the Reserves so I applied yesterday when I got home.
    I'm 21 and from Dublin and am really keen on getting in. Do I have much of a chance? By the way is it a 6 month waiting list in Dublin and how do they contact you??

Cheers!
    Hi Karlokarl,think it depends on what area they're recruiting for at a time.When my son got word,it said they were doing the South East region.Of course you have a good chance of getting in.read as much information as you can..ie.Public Jobs,and the Garda boards.lots of information available.

Advertisement