Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dublin orange parade?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Please be aware that it was compulsory to bring up children of mixed marriages as Catholic in the Republic until relatively recently. That is not a valid position.
    What exactly do you mean by compulsory - are you saying it required by the laws of the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As a matter of interest what sectarian policies do the Freemasons have ??

Secret information that! ;)

I think they had a no Catholic rule at one stage, I don't know if that is still the case.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness that was a Church policy, don't know if it still exists.
    That would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne_Temere

I wasn't sure if the OP was claiming it was the law of the land or referring to Ne Temere.
    Wasn't there an Orange Order move to expel the UUP leader for attending the funeral of Ronan Kerr, the PSNI officer?
    I think this might be it - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/15/unionists-orange-order-kerr-funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

K-9 wrote: »
    Secret information that! ;)

I think they had a no Catholic rule at one stage, I don't know if that is still the case.

No they didn't RC's have always been admitted it was the RC Church who stated any RC's who joined would be excommunicated. A tad hypocritical considering two of the biggest and most powerful lodges are located in the Vatican City ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

getzls wrote: »
    Who do you think would riot? Not the Orange Lodge members. Riot provoking eh? Would this be similar to a man hitting a woman then saying she made me do it?

No the Orange order wouldnt riot--they would just cause the riot by their triumphalism at getting their own way, AGAIN. Sick to the back teeth of the Orange Bigots, and just wish they would stay in areas where they are welcome, and DUBLIN is NOT one of those areas.!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

junder wrote: »
    Don't play the drum so no I am not a drum beating loyalist, although what my music ability has to do with anything I don't know. Furthermore at no point have I said the loyal orders speak for unionism only that they are an important part of the unionists culture. You on the other hand have taken the perverse posistion that you somehow know the unionist community better then me who is an actual unionist, even going as far as accusing me of insulting then unionist and by defernition myself. It is you that is creating straw man arguments by virtues of the fact you are not a unionist so cannot know the nuances of that community no matter how many unionsist you speak to. You claim the orange order is not important and yet next week there will be 100'000s of people across the uk taking part or watching orange parades. Two weeks ago i paraded with my band in London alongside 15000 orange men, women and bands including one from donegal. It is estimates that there was another 10'000 people watching the parade in London. And still you try and claim its not important.
    But here is the thing, I welcome your attuitude, you are exactly the sort of republican I like to come across, because when ever I hear the argument that my culture will be respected in a united Ireland I just have to point to you. You make my argument of why I/we never want to be part of a united Ireland

So your whole point in coming on here with this thread is to get back-up for your argument and Unionist position. That's sad and you must feel the walls are closing in on you with all the progress in the North. Isolation is not good for anyone.

Actully I have been in this site for about 4 or 5 years now

muincav wrote: »
    getzls wrote: »
    Who do you think would riot? Not the Orange Lodge members. Riot provoking eh? Would this be similar to a man hitting a woman then saying she made me do it?

No the Orange order wouldnt riot--they would just cause the riot by their triumphalism at getting their own way, AGAIN. Sick to the back teeth of the Orange Bigots, and just wish they would stay in areas where they are welcome, and DUBLIN is NOT one of those areas.!!!
    Since in this case I am talking about the Dublin and Wicklow orange lodge ( which is not a large lodge) parading in thier own capital city, what you are in fact saying is that this group of Irish citzens are not welcome in thier own city

dlofnep wrote: »
    But here is the thing, I welcome your attuitude, you are exactly the sort of republican I like to come across, because when ever I hear the argument that my culture will be respected in a united Ireland I just have to point to you. You make my argument of why I/we never want to be part of a united Ireland

Yes - I am a Republican, one who has gone on record in this thread stating that I welcome a Unionist parade in Dublin, an inclusive parade to covers all aspects of Unionist culture, and not just an insignificant one built on bigotry and hatred. This is a much more balanced proposition than your suggesting of a parade which only highlights the worst aspects of Loyalist culture.

You seemed to have ignored that part, because it didn't sit well with your argument. I'm not interested in the least on whether or not you would support unification of the Ireland. This is a thread discussing a march by an openly sectarian organisation in the capital.

I'm all for that lets have a unionist parade that involves all aspects of unionist culture lets have the orange, the black, the apprentice boys, flute bands, royal british legions, Somme society's, ulster defence union society's maybe 2nd Batt royal Irish while we are at it, will that make you happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The idea of a sectarian anti-Catholic/Nationalist triumphalist (yeah, for what?) organisation being welcomed to march in the capital is an affront to every person who ever had to deal with their yearly trolling of the Catholic/Nationalist population up north, large scale trolling that only started to be curtailed at at the time of Drumcree. For those who have difficulty understanding - think of the KKK, demanding to be respected for their tradition, seeking to march through minority neighbourhoods.

This very idea of this 'parade' is designed specifically to wind up people in the south and the north. I've said it on the other thread - any ambitious person in an influential position who thinks okaying this will make him look like some sort of statesman may live to regret it.

There are a lot of pissed off people in this state at the moment and such a parade could just be the spark that sets off a unpredictable wildfire that might shake the establishment here to its very core - think England riots 2011. And guess what? If such a 'wildfire' did get out of control, imo, these OO trolls would be absolutely delighted with their accomplishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I couldn't give a damn if the lodge march or not. No worse than armies of farmers, taxi men, old people or anyone else clogging up the city's streets looking for their pound of flesh.

I doubt too many of the republicans on here would condemn a muslim parade.

• Advertisement

The idea of a sectarian anti-Catholic/Nationalist triumphalist (yeah, for what?) organisation being welcomed to march in the capital is an affront to every person who ever had to deal with their yearly trolling of the Catholic/Nationalist population up north, large scale trolling that only started to be curtailed at at the time of Drumcree. For those who have difficulty understanding - think of the KKK, demanding to be respected for their tradition, seeking to march through minority neighbourhoods.

This very idea of this 'parade' is designed specifically to wind up people in the south and the north. I've said it on the other thread - any ambitious person in an influential position who thinks okaying this will make him look like some sort of statesman may live to regret it.

There are a lot of pissed off people in this state at the moment and such a parade could just be the spark that sets off a unpredictable wildfire that might shake the establishment here to its very core - think England riots 2011. And guess what? If such a 'wildfire' did get out of control, imo, these OO trolls would be absolutely delighted with their accomplishments.

As none of you picked up on it I will repeat myself. The Dublin and Wicklow OO has been granted permission to parade in the past but because republicans threatened counter demonstrations rather then be the focal point of violence the Dublin and Wicklow OO decided not to parade. So it's republican threats of violence that have prevented the Dublin and Wicklow lodge parading and yet they are the ones who are called bigots

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will you attend this march and carry the Tricolour, if it ever takes place?

Will you attend this march and carry the Tricolour, if it ever takes place?

Would only attend if I was invited and since I am not an orange man that's unlikely to happen, moreover why would I personnly carry a tricolour since I am not irish, furthermore why should the Dublin and Wicklow lodge carry one since they don't carry any national flag on parade

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Would only attend if I was invited and since I am not an orange man that's unlikely to happen, moreover why would I personnly carry a tricolour since I am not irish, furthermore why should the Dublin and Wicklow lodge carry one since they don't carry any national flag on parade

Maybe your band could lead the parade with you carrying the tricolor, and the Dublin orange men following behind

As none of you picked up on it I will repeat myself. The Dublin and Wicklow OO has been granted permission to parade in the past but because republicans threatened counter demonstrations rather then be the focal point of violence the Dublin and Wicklow OO decided not to parade. So it's republican threats of violence that have prevented the Dublin and Wicklow lodge parading and yet they are the ones who are called bigots
    Republican threats don't stop the brethren in the North from parading in towns and villages where they are not wanted

TOMASJ wrote: »

Maybe your band could lead the parade with you carrying the tricolor, and the Dublin orange men following behind

My band already carrys enough flags thanks. Moreover considering the attuitude of, what seems to be alot of people in the republic, I don't believe that the Dublin and Wicklow orange lodge feels any affinity to the tricolour, certainly don't feel the orange represents them. And no they do not carry union flags either

Republican threats don't stop the brethren in the North from parading in towns and villages where they are not wanted

Funny thing is considering the many 1000's of parades that happen across northern Ireland only a handful are contentious

My band already carrys enough flags thanks. Moreover considering the attuitude of, what seems to be alot of people in the republic, I don't believe that the Dublin and Wicklow orange lodge feels any affinity to the tricolour, certainly don't feel the orange represents them. And no they do not carry union flags either
    the orange men carry the jack in Donegal every year, do you think they should carry the flag of the Country they march/parade in instead of a foreign one.

Funny thing is considering the many 1000's of parades that happen across northern Ireland only a handful are contentious
    yes as a whole the Nationalists /Republicans/Catholice in the six counties are a very tollerent lot,
    Imagine if a Republican band wanted to coat trail in for instance in Cullybackey, don't think the Unionist folk would be sitting indoors so they wouldn't be offended

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So you reckon that although they live in the Republic they have no allegiance to the flag? Strange outlook for people who as you said yourself in an earlier post were citizens of this country.

• Advertisement

the orange men carry the jack in Donegal every year, do you think they should carry the flag of the Country they march/parade in instead of a foreign one.

Why should they be forced to carry any flag

So you reckon that although they live in the Republic they have no allegiance to the flag? Strange outlook for people who as you said yourself in an earlier post were citizens of this country.

They are Irish citzens because they were born in the republic of Ireland.

are they "forced" to carry union jacks in the North

are they "forced" to carry union jacks in the North

What do you think?

Well spotted,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Obviously. But people who according to yourself don't have much regard for our flag.

What do you think?
    seem odd that they only want to carry and fly them when provoking,
    as can be seen outside catholic churches at the moment in the six counties

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MOD NOTE:

Folks, can we take it easy on the smart-arse one-liner comments? Thanks.

Just a reminder of the previous mod warning. One liner or sarcastic replies and comments aren't welcome. Thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Obviously. But people who according to yourself don't have much regard for our flag.

Proberly because they don't feel it represents them, that's the fault of the Irish republic for making them feel alien in thier own country and accounts for the massive drop in population of those that see themselves as British since partition, strange that in northern Ireland the nationalist / republican population has increased over the years and yet in the republic the unionist population dropped from 8% to under 2%, either way it's not as if the Irish orange lodges are burning tricolours so What's the problem if the don't choose to carry one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I was baptised catholic junder but I don't feel the green represents me as I have no affinity to the RC church or any organised religion tbh.

It's just a flag now. Most flags have some meaning behind the colours but in most countries the people have no idea what they are.

The Union flag contains three saints crosses/saltires: all christian symbols originally. The St. Georges Cross especially would have been a symbol of the crusades and should be repugnant to muslims, but I wouldn't say the union flag in 2012 doesn't represent muslims in the UK today.

They are just flags.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement