Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    What!? You're crazy :pac:

From season 10 on is very hit and miss...and it just gets worse and worse as it goes on. It's not the same show anymore. Especially when they made the transition to digital ink. Whatever soul was left in the show was well and truely sucked out at that point.

Bland pop culture reference here, stupid celebrity appearance there, rubbish story arcs that go absolutely nowhere. It's completely ADD and vomit inducing.

I'd really love to know what shows you think are great from those years if you can provide a few ep names! :)

Fat bart episode was good. Ill get back to you with some more.
    Those years most defiantly were not as good as the golden years you mention but they do not deserve the scorn they get. Pre 2000 simpsons mostly 9-10 in quality, whereas 10-18 mostly 7-8 and the number of duds slowly rising.18 onwards just blah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Liking new simpsons is akin to liking the big bang theory.

But what exactly does new Simpsons refer to? Correct me if im wrong but the current season is 25? In my view seasons 10-17 cannot be seen as new simpsons. The quality for those years whilst not as good as 3-9 but are superior to anything from 18 onwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It was a slow decline, regrettably. I think anything after season 10-11 was inconsistent at best - some good material, but plenty of cack too. I'd generally consider the decline to roughly coincide with the rise of Futurama (several creative talents did migrate that way, after all) - Simpsons couldn't top anything they were producing during their initial run.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What defenders of later episodes forget to realize is that early Simpsons was perhaps the greatest show on television. It was just that good.

Even if episodes post series 10 are passable when it comes to general entertainment, they're such a long fall from the greatness that was the golden era of episodes. That's why people are so horrified and hate them so much.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Fun fact - if you have a bottle of wine and no cork screw, a screwdriver, a long screw and a claw hammer make a worthy substitute.

I think that negates the girlyness of me drinking a bottle of rosé somewhat :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Fun fact - if you have a bottle of wine and no cork screw, a screwdriver, a long screw and a claw hammer make a worthy substitute.

I think that negates the girlyness of me drinking a bottle of rosé somewhat :D

Or keep it simple with a screwtop. For those classy evenings in the field in your estate with the locals.

Master of the Universe

I usually do, but in this case I made a horrible mistake of taking a corked bottle. :( (free wine in work!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Free wine eh? I'll PM you my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/76390516/Chicago-s-last-motion-picture-film-lab

Wow. What a shame. A difference only a couple of years makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I just caught an Audino in Pokemon: White 2 because it had an unual move I'd never seen before. The move is called Heal Pulse and it restores the HP of your opponent. How odd... I can't think of any reason why this would be used unless you were battling a suicidal legendary :confused:

deathrider wrote: »
    I just caught an Audino in Pokemon: White 2 because it had an unual move I'd never seen before. The move is called Heal Pulse and it restores the HP of your opponent. How odd... I can't think of any reason why this would be used unless you were battling a suicidal legendary :confused:

Or to heal your other pokemon in a double/triple battle!

Or to heal your other pokemon in a double/triple battle!

But also healing the pokémon your double/triple/rotate/whatever battling against seems like a very odd play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I don't think I've ever actually bothered to catch an Audino, figured they were just a means for those too lazy to grind to fill up on EXP much quicker than usual.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever actually bothered to catch an Audino, figured they were just a means for those too lazy to grind to fill up on EXP much quicker than usual.

I try to catch one of type species that I find wild. I've had an Audino in the box since the early portions of the game, and only caught this one because it used this Health Pulse move and I wanted to check it out. I'd usually just knock them out for the easy EXP.

But also healing the pokémon your double/triple/rotate/whatever battling against seems like a very odd play.

Pokémon is all about tactics. There's probably a perfect set of moves that includes heal pulse with a combination of items, a good IV spread, EV training etc...

Pokémon is all about tactics. There's probably a perfect set of moves that includes heal pulse with a combination of items, a good IV spread, EV training etc...

Perhaps. There's probably a prefect set-up, as you say, but it still strikes me as weird to purposely put your foe at an advantage.

Perhaps. There's probably a prefect set-up, as you say, but it still strikes me as weird to purposely put your foe at an advantage.

Yeah there's a few things like that in Pokémon. Like the ring target item for example, allows moves that usually wouldn't hit your pokemon hit it, so normal or fighting moves will hit your ghost pokémon.

Yeah there's a few things like that in Pokémon. Like the ring target item for example, allows moves that usually wouldn't hit your pokemon hit it, so normal or fighting moves will hit your ghost pokémon.

I remember getting that one alright. I've never gotten around to using it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

nGk2RZN.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

New homebrew Vectrex game for those with a multi cart and console.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213588-vectrex-nagoya-attack-wip/

It's a beta release at the moment it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Pretty sure its only really useful in double and triple battles. :)

edit: didn't read other page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Re Pokemon, you gotta catch em all really, it's the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Picked up a gamecube, mario kart, zelda windwaker, pokemon colloseum and godzilla the game for 10 euro. Booyah :cool:

Master of the Universe

Paypal wrote:
    We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
    favor.

We were able to recover XX.XX GBP and this amount has been credited to you.
    Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
    recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
    to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
    seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
    privileges.

Just got this as a resolution to a Paypal dispute over the last month. The first part of it sounds like I've gotten my money back (words like 'recovered') but the second part seems to say that if the money isn't in the seller's account they can't get it back..? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like most sites purporting to be safe places to conduct transactions are actually full of crap when it comes to moderating and adjudicating fraudulent practices against members.
    And so ebay is no different.

Hope it all works out.

Master of the Universe

Thanks!

Bought what looked to be an amazing Akira cel setup - eejit packed it really badly, resulting in a dog eared corner (no way of fixing on a piece of acetate), scratches all over the surface - not to mention he'd hung it on the wall for years so all the trace lines had completely vanished due to sun exposure. (not visible in the auction photo)

Money lost aside, absolutely gutted to see that happen to what should be a great piece of art and film history. Some people, eh?

Thanks!

Bought what looked to be an amazing Akira cel setup - eejit packed it really badly, resulting in a dog eared corner (no way of fixing on a piece of acetate), scratches all over the surface - not to mention he'd hung it on the wall for years so all the trace lines had completely vanished due to sun exposure. (not visible in the auction photo)

Money lost aside, absolutely gutted to see that happen to what should be a great piece of art and film history. Some people, eh?

Just ring paypal if you don't get the money. Happened to be recently where the seller didn't have any funds in his account but paypal coughed it up.
    That whole system is a balls for both sellers and buyers. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just read this about the Another World Snes release (listed as part of a beta version on ebay right now), pretty interesting stuff.

The history behind this game is very interesting. It was programmed by the extremely-talented Rebecca Heineman, who was once Bill "Burger" Heineman, one of Interplay's founding programmers. She said that "since Interplay wouldn't pay for a Super FX chip, I found a way to do it with static RAM on the cart and DMA which got me a great frame rate. Interplay wouldn't pay for the static RAM either, so I ended up using Fast ROM instruction. Interplay wouldn't pay for a 3.6 Mhz ROM either. So, frustrated, I shoved my block move code into the DMA registers and used it as RAM running at 3.6 Mhz. It worked. I got fast block moves on slow cartridges and made a game using polygons working on a 65816 processor with pure software rendering."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement