Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm confused! You want the 120km/h limit to be retained but not enforced?

I am saying that I would like meaningful enforcement. I agree that setting sensible limits is obviously the best thing to do in the long run, but that does not mean that enforcement has to be done in absurd locations in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eoin wrote: »
    I am saying that I would like meaningful enforcement. I agree that setting sensible limits is obviously the best thing to do in the long run, but that does not mean that enforcement has to be done in absurd locations in the meantime.
    That's true, but I don't like the idea of the Gardai choosing which laws to enforce either. The 120km/h limit on good motorway stretches is not fine with me.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's true, but I don't like the idea of the Gardai choosing which laws to enforce either. The 120km/h limit on good motorway stretches is not fine with me.:)

It's not really which laws though, it's just when & where. There should be an element of common sense in most of their decisions, I would have thought.

As an extreme example, I think that most people would agree that getting points for doing 121km/h in a 120 stretch would be unreasonable. It is technically breaking the speed limit, but it's not a good application of enforcement. Similarly, you wouldn't want to see a pedestrian being done for crossing an empty street just because they didn't have a green pedestrian light. You wouldn't really question the law, you would question their decision to enforce the law in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eoin wrote: »
    It's not really which laws though, it's just when & where. There should be an element of common sense in most of their decisions, I would have thought.

As an extreme example, I think that most people would agree that getting points for doing 121km/h in a 120 stretch would be unreasonable. It is technically breaking the speed limit, but it's not a good application of enforcement. Similarly, you wouldn't want to see a pedestrian being done for crossing an empty street just because they didn't have a green pedestrian light. You wouldn't really question the law, you would question their decision to enforce the law in that scenario.
    Ish. In your 121km/h example, the fact that the limit is too low brings the law into disrepute. This is both proven and reinforced by the widespread reluctance of Gardaí to enforce it, the result being that very few of us pay speed limits much heed until we smell a speed trap. If we had sensible limits then the Gardaí could enforce them and people could respect them in the knowledge that they really were for the greater good.

But I think that the Gardai do enforce the speed limits in inappropriate locations.
    In your 121km/h example, the fact that the limit is too low brings the law into disrepute

I just meant that being done for being 1 km/h over the limit would be a silly application of the law - whether it was 121, 131 or 141 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Has there been any indication of leeway? I'm thinking of something like 5 percent +3 km/h or similar before you're hit would be prudent. That would allow 34..35 km/h at 30 zone and 129 at motorway before you're nabbed.

In reality it will probably be 1 km/h over and we are doomed, but haven't seen it stated anywhere...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It can't be 1km over technically, because the indicated speed on speedometers is rarely - if ever - accurate. (Usually the other way as it happens, but that't neither here nor there.) There is an innaccuracy factor, but no-one will tell you what it is and you're wasting your time asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

old_aussie wrote: »
    Any where, Any time.

That's the advert for the new private speed cameras in Australia.

well over here it will be

Any Where that is a straight road with clear visibility that has a low accident rate , Any time. that the road is empty and thus very safe to speed but well take your money anyway

I will bet that the first sightings of these cameras will be on the m50, n4, n7, m1, m3 and m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

on the n4 between longford and westport there is only one decent strech from charlestown to swinford
    the rest of the n4 is lethal but this bit is wide and safe

the camera has been under the charlestown n17 n4 flyover for the last month
    if its set at less than +7kmph
    i woulkd reckon its catching 30 % of people passing and most are on their commute
    are they gonna loose their lisences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

So then, who sends me the fine? The guards or some crappy company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Only think they should increase the limits on the motorway if we train a better quality if driver. There are around 250k learners on the road and loads are using the motorway (which they shouldn't). So more cameras are needed on the roads.

I would like to see a limit of 130/40km with a min limit of 90km on the motorway but its not safe in general and maybe extra cameras will get these drivers off the motorways and learn to respect the roads more as they are not qualified to drive on these roads.

I would prefer not to have these cameras on the motorway (a lot more cameras on the back roads) but it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

A question for the gardai next.

Will the company be using the publicly available garda data on accident blackspots which seems outdated or picking their own locations. As the gardai will be using there own vans and data will this not double the cameras at the same locations.

A prime example: In the forensics lab, which I visit as part of my job, is a map of Ireland (very old map in tachometer room) with stickers showing accident blackspots around the country. It shows the N7 (where old lights were approaching Naas and around Kill) were as an accident blackspot (rightly so for the time), but this data appears to be in the current available info. The garda vans therefore target the N7 but there has not been a serious accident for a long time on that stretch.

There are other areas where the road has been fixed to reduce accidents after many deaths but the data is still preserved as having a dangerous location. This leads to people pointing those locations out as money generating schemes, which leads me back to the question....how will the location of the new camera vans be decided, garda intervention or company pin on a map ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Speedsters are in for some shock shortly when it comes to the 'switch-on' of these speed cameras. Initially, that is and then we will learn to live with it.
    But what I'm wondering is will or could the same photo, if it showed the use of a Mobile Phone at the same time as the speeding be used to apply another fine and give additional penalty points for that offence ? I mean if there's a hand held up to the ear that's more than likely because there's a phone in the hand ? So more harassment there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'll never understand this country.

50% of the country might end up getting penalty points under this. Most of them would be jamming RTE phone lines trying to ring up Joe Duffy.

Yet none of them will ask their local politician to get rid of these money making devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There is a dilemma for our government (???) in all of this. It is:

1. We need the media kudos in having reduced the "carnage on the roads".
    2. We have severe recession and are approaching bankruptcy, so we need to soak the population for every red cent we can get without ever having to be honest and increase direct taxation.
    3. We can get a lot of loot using speed cameras, but unfortunately we also enacted a penalty points system whereby a certain number of points means loss of license.
    4. If we put too many people off the roads we will lose their motor tax and their fines.

It's a big problem, so what's the solution? Ah:

1. Appoint a private speed camera contractor (we then can't be blamed if he is too efficient and makes himself a few bucks).
    2. Ensure that those private cameras move around a lot so that they don't catch the same people often enough for them to lose their licence.
    3. Maintain and extend the illogical speed limits that change by at least 50% on blind bends, with a convenient lay-by for camera vans immediately beyond.
    4. Announce a Garda crackdown on speeders in one county after another, so that the drivers in the counties not named will feel secure and will not be on the lookout for cameras and vans.
    5. Spend money on "Speed Kills" signs on roads where there have been no accidents in living memory (other than Paddy Murphy who fell off his donkey in 1896), thus avoiding spending that money on correcting roads where there have been accidents. Such signs, however, give the impression that we are concerned and are doing something.
    6. Appoint to the RSA a media personality who is revered by the public as a national treasure but who doesn't drive. Let him tell the proles how delinquent they are, because they will accept his word, will tell the Rosary, and pay their fines.

Ah! How satisfying politics is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

ART6 wrote: »
    There is a dilemma for our government (???) in all of this. It is:

1. We need the media kudos in having reduced the "carnage on the roads".
    2. We have severe recession and are approaching bankruptcy, so we need to soak the population for every red cent we can get without ever having to be honest and increase direct taxation.
    3. We can get a lot of loot using speed cameras, but unfortunately we also enacted a penalty points system whereby a certain number of points means loss of license.
    4. If we put too many people off the roads we will lose their motor tax and their fines.

It's a big problem, so what's the solution? Ah:

1. Appoint a private speed camera contractor (we then can't be blamed if he is too efficient and makes himself a few bucks).
    2. Ensure that those private cameras move around a lot so that they don't catch the same people often enough for them to lose their licence.
    3. Maintain and extend the illogical speed limits that change by at least 50% on blind bends, with a convenient lay-by for camera vans immediately beyond.
    4. Announce a Garda crackdown on speeders in one county after another, so that the drivers in the counties not named will feel secure and will not be on the lookout for cameras and vans.
    5. Spend money on "Speed Kills" signs on roads where there have been no accidents in living memory (other than Paddy Murphy who fell off his donkey in 1896), thus avoiding spending that money on correcting roads where there have been accidents. Such signs, however, give the impression that we are concerned and are doing something.
    6. Appoint to the RSA a media personality who is revered by the public as a national treasure but who doesn't drive. Let him tell the proles how delinquent they are, because they will accept his word, will tell the Rosary, and pay their fines.

Ah! How satisfying politics is!

A new "Accident Black Spot" road sign campaign may be warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 27 onedaylikethis

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Hope they all get burnt out just like the one in Cork a while back.

F**K THAT.

I applied for a job driving one of these vans ( i know, the shame of it ). If i am lucky enough to get an interview i will be asking if the uniform is fireproof. :D

F**K THAT.

I applied for a job driving one of these vans ( i know, the shame of it ). If i am lucky enough to get an interview i will be asking if the uniform is fireproof. :D

Betcha won't tell it in your local !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ahem, might as get this line out of the way now as it never ceases the amount of Mother Teresa's on this thread who love to post "if you don't speed you won't have to worry about it" :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/signs-to-warn-motorists-of-new-mobile-speed-cameras-2388839.html?from=dailynews

The sad thing here is its quiet obvious that within a week of 'go live' we know there will be examples of these vans in situ in blatant revenue generating areas, road safety will not be primary. Of course I stand to be corrected but this is Ireland.
    HEAD.NAIL.HIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Get used to driving at 5k below the speed limit, and get to know the speed limits of the area's you drive in!

• Advertisement

There's a new REALITY now for road users and it's this.
    Once the Cameras kick in, you drive within the speed limits or get off the road.

Something else we should bear in mind is that there is no guarantee of fairness when it comes to applying the law.
    Kinda pains me when I drive along a road where I got 2 penalty points 3 years ago for doing 50 in a 40 only to see that the same road, with no change of any kind in conditions, has now been designated a 60 zone......Aaaaagh.
    Learned my lesson though on speeding !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm kind of "meh" about the whole thing...

As much as I hate the existence of inappropriately set speed limits and I feel that I'm able to drive safely and quickly without being dangerous, if you take the choice away from me and we all have to obey all the speed limits all the time, then driving will presumably be more relaxing and simpler (but less involving and "fun").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

jock101 wrote: »
    Get used to driving at 5k below the speed limit, and get to know the speed limits of the area's you drive in!

Why in the name of God would you drive at 5kms under the limit..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

because you can 't overtake any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Seen the first one today in Dundalk. Thanks god I was driving slow in my girlfriends 1.2 and not my m3!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I saw one of the van's in batterstown on friday. I think I'll be getting a letter in the post. I have no idea what speed I was doing but I was driving safely in a line of traffic.

The country is ridiculous and the people are constantly getting screwed. I can not believe the people are such sheep to put up with all that is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I think the real problem here is not the cameras but the sometimes inappropriate limits. Rather than giving out about enforcement, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on getting limits adjusted where a good argument can be made for it?
    Also inappropriate limits for roads I agree with. There is lots of roads that are too dangerous even for 50kph, but councils on the other hand are too extreme is where there is 50kph that are wide with no history of serious accidents such as the Condell road in Limerick city council where 3.5Km stretch is now 50kph (non build up area and no housing estate access like most roads, used to be 100kph under Limerick County Council before been reduced to 60kph before the city took it over.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Condell+Road,+Limerick&sll=53.349399,-6.259933&sspn=0.015909,0.033731&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Condell+Rd,+Limerick,+County+Limerick&ll=52.661036,-8.664292&spn=0,0.016866&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.661036,-8.664292&panoid=wDdRSb0hZ-xJH6Q1YI5ghQ&cbp=12,120.64,,0,6.37

This stretch of road should be 80kph should be used here, not 60kph on the old N21 road into Rathkeale from the Five Cross Roads.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Five+Cross+Roads,+Limerick&sll=52.661036,-8.664292&sspn=0.008407,0.016866&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Five+Cross+Roads,+County+Limerick&ll=52.526144,-8.910856&spn=0,0.033731&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.52612,-8.911017&panoid=1z2agFszlShAJm_Y-u5-kw&cbp=12,81.13,,0,-13.66

Same as the other side of Rathkeale
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gpo+dublin&sll=51.179148,-1.826394&sspn=0.001145,0.002803&ie=UTF8&hq=GPO&hnear=GPO,+Custom+House+Quay,+Dublin+1,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.349066,-6.260147&spn=0.016703,0.044847&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.349392,-6.259913&panoid=af5UzjlXJmCx54yna2HvnA&cbp=12,274.32,,0,-3.46

Look at this for ridiculous speed Limits assignments on this same road
    Here on a Passage way type road you can legal do 80kph where you could easily have an accident at this speed.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gpo+dublin&sll=51.179148,-1.826394&sspn=0.001145,0.002803&ie=UTF8&hq=GPO&hnear=GPO,+Custom+House+Quay,+Dublin+1,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.349066,-6.260147&spn=0.016703,0.044847&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.349392,-6.259913&panoid=af5UzjlXJmCx54yna2HvnA&cbp=12,274.32,,0,-3.46
    and when you get to the Normal two way road you are force to do 60kph see the sign post for each road junction.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Five+Cross+Roads,+Limerick&sll=52.661036,-8.664292&sspn=0.008407,0.016866&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Five+Cross+Roads,+County+Limerick&layer=c&cbll=52.513304,-8.968997&panoid=o-RULTAFtMOe6PWwIR5bRw&cbp=12,9.63,,0,4.43&ll=52.513374,-8.968921&spn=0,0.033731&z=15

What is the danger on this stretch of road that causes a 60kph to be so far out of Rathkeale? There is no Traffic choas that will cause Rathkeale to jam up, it is already bypassed for donkey years. Stroll up and down using Google maps street view to find out for yourself. I do not see a reason for it.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Five+Cross+Roads,+Limerick&sll=52.661036,-8.664292&sspn=0.008407,0.016866&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Five+Cross+Roads,+County+Limerick&ll=52.513374,-8.968921&spn=0,0.033731&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.513304,-8.968997&panoid=o-RULTAFtMOe6PWwIR5bRw&cbp=12,9.63,,0,4.43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

A new "Accident Black Spot" road sign campaign may be warranted
    Agreed, Signs and later road markings like on this R521 road which has been there for 25 years+. This was a know accident blackspot during the 80's the only road improvement was a road surface and additional signs and road markings.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Five+Cross+Roads,+Limerick&sll=52.661036,-8.664292&sspn=0.008407,0.016866&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Five+Cross+Roads,+County+Limerick&layer=c&cbll=52.471807,-9.065901&panoid=QldvIToHJQ7IRPsPWzo76A&cbp=12,182.52,,0,-0.27&ll=52.471807,-9.065901&spn=0,0.002108&z=19

If you look at the RSA website between 2006 and 2008 there been no accidents on this stretch of bends on this road.
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Ireland-Road-Collisions/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Do these fu!cking things flash, or do you just have to wait on the post to find out you were caught?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

bryaner wrote: »
    Do these fu!cking things flash, or do you just have to wait on the post to find out you were caught?

I think you should take the prudent approach and assume you were caught. These f**king things will probably catch you even when you're stopped!

If anyone knows an easy way to exchange a Southern licence for a Northern one PM me!!

Advertisement