Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Putting my line number into eircoms checker and it tells me I'm in an efibre area, called Vodafone but they say I can't order until the 29th.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dbit wrote: »
    MOD EDIT are not 100% dodgy either but im sure you are aware of that , or do i need to list the use cases for that too ? lolz.

That is why I said "dodgy" and not out right illegal. I'm sure you are well aware that 99% of the content on these services is dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

I would really apreciate if someone could answer these few questions i have.
    I am a customer connected directly to the exchange, the exchange is going live on 8th july
    1.) I am 500m away from the exchange, is there anybody in this thread that has efibre and are 500m away from exchange ir cab and what speed are ye getting

2.) Is vectoring enabled for customers fed directly from the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

1.) I am 500m away from the exchange, is there anybody in this thread that has efibre and are 500m away from exchange ir cab and what speed are ye getting

are you 500m by road from the exchange? your line may take a more circuitous path.

not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I would really apreciate if someone could answer these few questions i have.
    I am a customer connected directly to the exchange, the exchange is going live on 8th july

I am approx 500m from my exchange and connected directly like yourself and am connected at 50mb down and 15 up. I was 19mb down on ADSL with an attenuation of 9. The attenuation is now showing as 12.6 on eVDSL

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

i am 500m away from the exchange following the road an 325 as the crow fly's

im not sure whether you have efibre or not, but considering you are the same distance away as me what speeds are you getting on a speedtest?

im not sure whether you have efibre or not, but considering you are the same distance away as me what speeds are you getting on a speedtest?

Read it again. He said what speeds he is getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

i am 500m away from the exchange following the road an 325 as the crow fly's

The only measurement that counts is the length of the cable run. :D

hi could somebody tell me what speed i should expect when i get efibre next week, i am 475m from the exchange by road??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

Tweaky wrote: »
    I am approx 500m from my exchange and connected directly like yourself and am connected at 50mb down and 15 up. I was 19mb down on ADSL with an attenuation of 9. The attenuation is now showing as 12.6 on eVDSL

Hope this helps.

Are you getting consistently 50 MB all the time ?

sorry for asking you twice for a speedtest i was on my phone and for some reason the link wasnt there, thanks for the speedtest that cleared up a lot of things for me

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Are you getting consistently 50 MB all the time ?

Seems to be pretty consistent. Just ran a speed test now and got 45mb on wifi. This time of the evening you would expect it to be busy so that speed at this hour is a good indicator of the normal speed I am getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    The only measurement that counts is the length of the cable run. :D

Yup, people should calculate the distance using their current adsl download attenuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

LEX1_E01 (Leixlip Kildare) - Fibre Broadband Cabinet expected to go live on 15-Jul-15 on Fibrerollout.ie (Where and When map).

Today on EircomWholesale.com (Tech Bytes) it is announced that among others Leixlip, Kildare – 947 new premises in Leixlip, Kildare (cab E01) exchange can access broadband up to 70Mb/s.

Fibrerollout.ie still showing LEX1_E01 as "blue" with 15-Jul-15 unchanged

The map is very slow to update.

Can somebody tell me if they know anything at all about exchange based fibre becoming vectored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Can somebody tell me if they know anything at all about exchange based fibre becoming vectored

It'll be at least 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Taboganist007

Yay! Looks like my broadband hell in the sticks of Ardara in Donegal is coming to an end soon. Over a month a ago our exchange was upgraded from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ giving an increased speed from 7Mb sync to my modem to 17Mb sync to my modem. I can now download at close to 15MB which is really nice but low and behold I put my number into line checker on Eircom's VDSL rollout map and it seems our exchange has become VDSL enabled also. So I muddled through this thread looking for information and found out how to check the prequals on my line. So I downloaded Desktop Parallesls on Mac and installed Linux so I could extract the information using Chrome and stick it into Terminal in Linux. Here are the results that were returned -

"{"aaa":"My Eircom Customer No:P.","ccb":"E01","date":"29/07/2015","eee":"ADA","xbc":true,"xec":true,"xfc":false,"xrc":true,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"50M_15M_R","maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNRA":"28M_16M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"My Phone Number :P","ere":"29/07/2015","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}"

It seems come the 29th of July, residents of our fine lil town will be able to avail of proper high speed broadband, something I thought I'd never see up this end of the woods. I am around 400 meters from our exchange with an ADSL1 attenuation of 9db and a ADSL2+ attenuation of 12db putting me somewhere between 650 and 800 meters over copper from the exchange and should hopefully get 50Mb VDSL and maybe even more when the exchange is vectored.

I know Eircom have been much maligned over the years by many but I have to say they've done an excellent job so far of rolling out high speed broadband nationwide: a gargantuan task given the widespread population makeup of our little country. Can't wait to join the 21st century of telecommunications!

Can someone tell me how do i find my line attentuation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Taboganist007

Can someone tell me how do i find my line attentuation?

Well that depends which internet service provider you are with. If you're with Eircom you go to 192.168.1.254 in your preferred internet browser, if you're with Vodafone you go to 192.168.1.1 (I think) and if you're with Sky you go to 192.168.0.1 - Assuming of course that you're using a stock router sent to you by your internet service provider. If you've bought your own it could be a different address. Hard for us to know.

It's usually either one of those 3 addresses and when you're in your router homepage you should find your line stats in there somewhere.

i am 500m away from my exchange following the road, right now i am on adsl2 and i am recieving 17mb down, vdsl2 will be available on my exchange on the 8th july, when i put my house no. into the website thing it says i will be recieving speeds of up to 50mb down and 15 up, the problem is tho that when i check my router stats it say my line attentuation is 14.7 which would indicate around 1000m from the exchange, can someone explain if this could possibly be wrong or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i am 500m away from my exchange following the road, right now i am on adsl2 and i am recieving 17mb down, vdsl2 will be available on my exchange on the 8th july, when i put my house no. into the website thing it says i will be recieving speeds of up to 50mb down and 15 up, the problem is tho that when i check my router stats it say my line attentuation is 14.7 which would indicate around 1000m from the exchange, can someone explain if this could possibly be wrong or anything like that

You're reading the downstream not the up right?

At 500m your attenuation should be a little lower, but its less accurate at very low range. Also a poor joint on the line, the cable between your socket and modem(especially if more than 3-4ft) and if you're using an extension socket not your main can all negatively effect line attenuation figures.

i am defintiely looking at the down rate but i just noticed on the router stats that there are other numbers, do i look at the dsl noise margin stats?

2.) I dont think it is right that i have a line attetuation of 14.7 as right now i am recieving 17mbps down on adsl2+, the dsl speed calculator website is telling em that when i get vdsl i should only get speeds around 28mbps which i consider very low as i am already getting 17?

Can somebody tell me why vectoring isnt enabled for exchange customers yet

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its on for some.

If there are multiple racks its more complex, requires system level vectoring. Itll come later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

ED E wrote: »
    Its on for some.

If there are multiple racks its more complex, requires system level vectoring. Itll come later.

I undetstand Exchange vectoring is not switched on for anyone yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Quite a lot of cabinet's haven't been vectored either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

joe_99 wrote: »
    I undetstand Exchange vectoring is not switched on for anyone yet

A neighbouring exchange, Newport (Tipperary), the fibre rollout map indicates that 400 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband. It was my understanding that the max speed from an exchange was 70Mb/s, am I wrong or does that mean the Newport exchange is vectored?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

The Cush wrote: »
    A neighbouring exchange, Newport (Tipperary), the fibre rollout map indicates that 400 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband. It was my understanding that the max speed from an exchange was 70Mb/s, am I wrong or does that mean the Newport exchange is vectored?
    Looking at http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    cabinets are live, which are vectored, I guess. Exchange rack isn't yet live.

Exchange customers will be limited to 70 when it is launched, for the present.

Advertisement