Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My local exchange area is down as May '15 activation, but just chatted with Eircom and this is what I received ....
    The area will probably be upgraded in 07/2015. But not all of the cabinets will be upgraded at the same time. The eFibre availability depends on the distance from the upgraded cabinet.

So there appears to be considerable slippage in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

My local exchange area is down as May '15 activation, but just chatted with Eircom and this is what I received ....

So there appears to be considerable slippage in some areas.

Yeah have same in Cratloe Co Clare area. Down in map for May but eventually got e mail saying probably in Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Same for Patrickswell. Down for May, now 6-12 months, and at that i think im >2KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kenny111 wrote: »
    ordered last week and was quoted 25 down and 7up, by the end of the week it had risen to 50 down and 10 up on the line checker. got it installed today for 25 and 7, should i ring eircom to see if i can be put on a higher profile?

Also will vectoring be switched on the exchange fibre?

If you're on Twitter contact them there via DM.
    I was in a similar situation and contacted them that way. Got an immediate reply that they were passing it onto the techs & next day my profile was upped to the line max.

No faffing about on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Would there be anyway to check if my line is vectored?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

So I got it done today, took the guy 15 mins and it's amazing.

So from this

Untitled.jpg
    post a picture

To this :D

Untitled_1.jpg
    photo storage

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

redmond08 wrote: »
    So I got it done today, took the guy 15 mins and it's amazing.

So from this

Untitled.jpg
    post a picture

To this :D

Untitled_1.jpg
    photo storage

There's plenty room to get upped to a 100mb profile

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

Cork981 wrote: »

I know, I'm just right across the road from it. Best thing is, I'm actually hitting these speeds. So delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cork981 wrote: »

Not unless vectoring gets enabled for evdsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

hi folks, eventually my number came up on the efibre map.. great! but no. Can only get 7mb! nearest cabinet is 60m and have 5 within 500m. Have a line attenuation of 29 though.
    Been onto eircom who gave me the exchange code etc here http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057450741

Is 7mb my max? would it be worth switching to fibre for the increased upload?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Praetorian wrote: »
    One or two more installations will definitely bring the speed down. I think I was the first install on my cab way back when and the attainable pre vectoring was insanely high...I think maybe 140m/bit IIRC. Keep checking your stats over the coming weeks.

You were bang on - There were a few more installs over the past week and the SNR has dropped from 23 to 19 and the attainable has dropped from 90mb to 80mb. Makes a lot more sense why they set the lines at 50mb starting out. Leave it settle for a few more weeks and see where it bottoms out. 50mb is plenty for what I do but we all want more than what we have !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

Hey Folks,

The work on the exchange that we are connected to (Athenry, Co. Galway) is set to finish on the 1st July. The Ireland Offline map says that its currently an ADSL1 exchange (Although I have no idea how up to date that info is).

Issue is, we are about 4.2km from the exchange, with a "wonderful" Line Attenuation of 63 Down and 31 Up, with our speed being 1.8Mbps.

Am I right in saying that no matter what upgrades & work is done on the exchange, that we are simply too far away to notice any difference? We have been stuck on 1.8Mbps for nearly 10 years, and any increase in speed, no matter how small, would be a big improvement.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

tampler wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

The work on the exchange that we are connected to (Athenry, Co. Galway) is set to finish and be up and running on the 1st July. The Ireland Offline map says that its currently an ADSL1 exchange (Although I have no idea how up to date that info is).

Issue is, we are about 4.2km from the exchange, with a "wonderful" Line Attenuation of 63 Down and 31 Up, with our speed being 1.8Mbps.

Am I right in saying that no matter what upgrades & work is done on the exchange, that we are simply too far away to notice any difference? We have been stuck on 1.8Mbps for nearly 10 years, and any increase in speed, no matter how small, would be a big improvement.

Cheers.

I'm afraid you will remain stuck on that speed for the foreseeable future as you are waaaaaaay beyond eFibre's range. You will have to wait for if/when the NBP rolls around to you.

Have you any Wireless ISPs operating in your area that could give you better speeds? If you're not sure, then go to this map, drop the marker on your house and tick the Wireless ISPs option. If coverage is shown from one or more companies then give 'em a shout and they would do a signal test to make sure that they can hit your house, which shouldn't cost you anything. They should also be able to indicate what kind of speeds you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I'm afraid you will remain stuck on that speed for the foreseeable future as you are waaaaaaay beyond eFibre's range. You will have to wait for if/when the NBP rolls around to you.

Balls :( The sad thing is the exchange next to us (Kiltulla) is selected for the FTTH 2016-2020 rollout programme, but we are too far from that as well (About 3.8Km). Guess we are just in a bad spot...
    MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Have you any Wireless ISPs operating in your area that could give you better speeds?

Sadly, not an option. Do quite a fair bit of Online gaming & Video Streaming here, and a lot of downloading. As well as that, we simply have too many tree's around the house to get a clear signal (We had to attach our Sky dish to a tree just to get a signal!).

Ah well, at this stage, anything is better than Dial-Up :p Cheers for the advice!

Balls :( The sad thing is the exchange next to us (Kiltulla) is selected for the FTTH 2016-2020 rollout programme, but we are too far from that as well (About 3.8Km). Guess we are just in a bad spot...

Well if the NBP goes ahead all areas not serviced by FTTC/UPC should get a guaranteed 30Mbps down/6Mbps up sometime between 2017-2022. This sounds like it would include you.

This is likely to be delivered as FTTH as Wireless, while it could potentially deliver those speeds now, would not be able to deliver the growth/expansion the scheme would likely have built into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

(We had to attach our Sky dish to a tree just to get a signal!).

You can do the same for FWA. Just mount the antenna in a similar location and away you go.

Theres a reach cab out to the north of Athenry, ANR1_019, 3+km from the exchange so that could bring you down to within 2km if you're to the north in the direction of Monivea.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

What speeds should one expect at a distance of 1600m?

Just checked the distance calculator on Ireland offline and because I am in a cul-de-sac this is the crap I get.

MediaHaul wrote: »
    What speeds should one expect at a distance of 1600m?

Just checked the distance calculator on Ireland offline and because I am in a cul-de-sac this is the crap I get.

If you searched this thread you would have come up with this post.

sweet baby jebus

{"ccb":"E01","date":"29/07/2015","eee":"CUR","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false
    ,"xrc":false,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"18M_5M_R","maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH",
    "maxNRA":"12M_1M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","
    maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"8883-xxxxxxx","ere":"29/07/2015","validation
    Type":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

guil wrote: »
    sweet baby jebus

{"ccb":"E01","date":"29/07/2015","eee":"CUR","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false
    ,"xrc":false,"inga":true,"ingb":true,"maxHSI":"18M_5M_R","maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH",
    "maxNRA":"12M_1M_FR","maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","
    maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","phone":"8883-xxxxxxx","ere":"29/07/2015","validation
    Type":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina"

Ouch Fooked if ya do Fooked if ya dont lolz.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dbit wrote: »
    Ouch Fooked if ya do Fooked if ya dont lolz.

An almost x20 jump in upload speed to 5Mb/s would be very welcome.

When I went from ADSL2+ 16m/700k to UPC 120m/10m (now 240Mb/s / 24Mb/s) I saw almost no real world improvements in download speed *, but a massive, very welcome improvement in upload speeds, which has a real impact on my productivity.

Also remember that the ADSL completely maxes out at 17M, but the vDSL could increase as the line settles in. Also VDSL just seems to be more stable then ADSL to me.

I'd absolutely upgrade to VDSL with those numbers.

* I don't mean I wasn't getting the download speeds, I have a samknows box that constantly tests the line, so I know what great speeds I'm getting. I just mean I'm not really using all the extra speed. The reality is youtube, Netflix, etc. HD works exactly the same on a 16M connection as a 240M connection. There are only a few places where you would routinely benefit from 100M+ services.

bk wrote: »
    An almost x20 jump in upload speed to 5Mb/s would be very welcome.

When I went from ADSL2+ 16m/700k to UPC 120m/10m (now 240Mb/s / 24Mb/s) I saw almost no real world improvements in download speed *, but a massive, very welcome improvement in upload speeds, which has a real impact on my productivity.

Also remember that the ADSL completely maxes out at 17M, but the vDSL could increase as the line settles in. Also VDSL just seems to be more stable then ADSL to me.

I'd absolutely upgrade to VDSL with those numbers.

* I don't mean I wasn't getting the download speeds, I have a samknows box that constantly tests the line, so I know what great speeds I'm getting. I just mean I'm not really using all the extra speed. The reality is youtube, Netflix, etc. HD works exactly the same on a 16M connection as a 240M connection. There are only a few places where you would routinely benefit from 100M+ services.

MOD EDIT REMOVED , and all that good stuff maxs 240 easy. And if you work in IT the download will be used not a bother . I hear ya , the upload and satability is a no brainer . Just was refering to the download hit if switching.

Ill definitely be upgrading. Even if I only get an extra 1mb download, the difference in upload is huge. I'd be confident that the dl will improve and they are been conservative with the estimate. An eircom engineer confirmed a while ago that my line is about 1200m.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD EDIT REMOVED , and all that good stuff maxs 240 easy.

First of all everything you mentioned is dodgy and second of all, even if using those, they tend to be start a couple of downloads and go away and do something else, so the actual download speed is largely redundant.

Specially as more and more people these days are using various streaming services, both legal and dodgy, making "downloading" less important.
    And if you work in IT the download will be used not a bother .

I am, software engineer who works from home. Switching from 16M to UPC 240M really made very little difference. The upload however made a big difference, making it MUCH easier for me to upload builds, etc.

First of all everything you mentioned is dodgy and second of all, even if using those, they tend to be start a couple of downloads and go away and do something else, so the actual download speed is largely redundant.

Specially as more and more people these days are using various streaming services, both legal and dodgy, making "downloading" less important.

I am, software engineer who works from home. Switching from 16M to UPC 240M really made very little difference. The upload however made a big difference, making it MUCH easier for me to upload builds, etc.

Well for me and I often have to shift large DB's , iso's , VM's , labs , LArge pacth updates to various platforms .......

I use it when i have it :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Installed direct fiber just a few minutes ago at work.

First line in the exchange apparently.

syncing at 40 down and 10 up

max attainable 68 down and 38 up.

I'm fairly sure the attainables will fall when other direct fed lines are vdsl enabled but I'm still hopeful of at least a boost on the upstream rate.

Private torrent and newsbins are not 100% dodgy either but im sure you are aware of that , or do i need to list the use cases for that too ? lolz.

Installed direct fiber just a few minutes ago at work.

First line in the exchange apparently.

I'm fairly sure the attainables will fall when other direct fed lines are vdsl enabled but I'm still hopeful of at least a boost on the upstream rate.

Yup ive been quoted the same on what i thought was 350-400 meters from exchange im actually 800 going by the atten in my new place so im expecting the same speeds line pre qual states same 40 /10

The 50_20 profile should still be viable once everything beds down.

• Advertisement

140 exchanges. Bula bos.

Advertisement