Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wholesale map updated to show dates of eVDSL availability over the next 2/3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Check piec.noip.me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

I asked this already but never got a reply so there's no harm in asking again: how do I find out the "code" for my local exchange so that I can figure out where it stands at the moment on that link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

BandMember wrote: »
    I asked this already but never got a reply so there's no harm in asking again: how do I find out the "code" for my local exchange so that I can figure out where it stands at the moment on that link?

Go to the NGA map here. Don't tick anything over on the right hand side. Zoom in to where your exchange is and it should show as either an amber, blue or green circle. Hover the mouse over it an you'll get the code ... here's mine.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Go to the NGA map here. Don't tick anything over on the right hand side. Zoom in to where your exchange is and it should show as either an amber, blue or green circle. Hover the mouse over it an you'll get the code ... here's mine.

Perfect! Thank you very much! :) Now, to wait and wait for it to become live.... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Alternately you could go to the IoffL map....http://www.irelandoffline.org/map/ click exchanges and type in your location in the top right corner or just zoom about

bealtine wrote: »
    Alternately you could go to the IoffL map....http://www.irelandoffline.org/map/ click exchanges and type in your location in the top right corner or just zoom about

Thanks. Just how accurate is that site though? It has the speed for my exchange listed as "up to 70 Mb/s" - is that right? I thought that they were promising up to 100 Mb/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

Sigh, it sucks being the only orange dot in a see of greens :(

Thanks. Just how accurate is that site though? It has the speed for my exchange listed as "up to 70 Mb/s" - is that right? I thought that they were promising up to 100 Mb/s?

The exchange locations are accurate however the details may be a little off though

hots wrote: »

I know how you feel! :( How often do Eircom update their maps? Surely there is going to be something happening between this summer and next year? There's nothing going to happen according to their maps at present....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 harkin1987

So I've had "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress" on my area for a few weeks now. Anyone have experience on how long this status can show for?

Im itching for some sweet pings re CS:GO. Halp!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hots wrote: »
    I know how you feel! :( How often do Eircom update their maps? Surely there is going to be something happening between this summer and next year? There's nothing going to happen according to their maps at present....

If you are the only/one of few cabs left in a mostly complete area its likely due to a problem deploying a VDSL cab beside your copper one. This could be problems with the county council, an objection from a neighbour or technical issues such as delays getting an ESB power pedestal. No way to tell which (unless theres an application thats a matter of public record) and eircom wont give out those kinda details.

If there are severe delays I'd push the issue with a local TD, they might just get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Now it's just a waiting game to see how long it will take for them to connect them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

bealtine wrote: »

Using the option for Local Exchanges doesn't give the code for the exchange. I've only just spotted that ticking the VDSL Cabinets and clicking on the dot does give the code.

eVDSL (Exchange VDSL) is only rated up to 70Mbps. If they turn on vectoring at some point in the future, then the speeds will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Is there any way to tell which exchange your on? We're stuck right between two exchanges however I'm not sure which one our line is assigned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You'd get an idea by running a traceroute (e.g. run "tracert boards.ie" in Windows CMD) and looking at the router names that appear, not always guaranteed that it will list your local one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,740 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

TheChizler wrote: »
    You'd get an idea by running a traceroute (e.g. run "tracert boards.ie" in Windows CMD) and looking at the router names that appear, not always guaranteed that it will list your local one though.

that won't necessarily tell you anything - I'm on the Greystones exchange and the second hop on any traceroute (after my own router) is eircom's Waterford node.

loyatemu wrote: »
    that won't necessarily tell you anything - I'm on the Greystones exchange and the second hop on any traceroute (after my own router) is eircom's Waterford node.
    Exactly why it's not guaranteed! In my old house I didn't get the local but currently I do. Depends on how the network is configured.

TheChizler wrote: »

That will ONLY work if your local exchange is a regional hub. Otherwise you'll get the wrong exchange as the next hop on ADSL is the RAS server.

Your phone number indicates the exchange, if you look at a business near both exchanges youll see what the difference in prefix is. eg:

A. 021-123xxx
    B. 021-456xxx

Whichever your number matches, thats your exchange.

ED E wrote: »
    That will ONLY work if your local exchange is a regional hub. Otherwise you'll get the wrong exchange as the next hop on ADSL is the RAS server.

Your phone number indicates the exchange, if you look at a business near both exchanges youll see what the difference in prefix is. eg:

A. 021-123xxx
    B. 021-456xxx

Whichever your number matches, thats your exchange.

As I said, not guaranteed.

As landline numbers are portable that's not guaranteed either. Unless you've had the number since before 2001 OP.

• Advertisement

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Is there any way to tell which exchange your on? We're stuck right between two exchanges however I'm not sure which one our line is assigned to.

again try the irelandoffline site, there's a lookup menu (Find by) item there, it's not perfect but it's there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,740 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

or try the prequal test trick from the eVDSL thread - that'll give you back your full cabinet details.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Thanks everyone for your responses!

TheChizler, I tried this and I got nothing from it unfortunately, thanks for the idea though!

ED E, I checked phone numbers of those who are living right beside both exchanges for a long time (<2001), and their numbers both start with similar prefixes down to the last two digits (042-93742xx).

Bealtime, thanks for this site, (I never noticed the search function until now!) however the boundaries are identical to that on the Eircom eFibre map.

loyatemu, would you be able to link this to me? I've tried searching for it however I can't seem to find it.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your responses!

TheChizler, I tried this and I got nothing from it unfortunately, thanks for the idea though!

ED E, I checked phone numbers of those who are living right beside both exchanges for a long time (<2001), and their numbers both start with similar prefixes down to the last two digits (042-93742xx).

Bealtime, thanks for this site, (I never noticed the search function until now!) however the boundaries are identical to that on the Eircom eFibre map.

loyatemu, would you be able to link this to me? I've tried searching for it however I can't seem to find it.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

Look for posts By a one MR Michael , his method works a treat and he posted a word doc on how to do it , easiest method yet , and there have been many lolz.

dbit wrote: »
    Look for posts By a one MR Michael , his method works a treat and he posted a word doc on how to do it , easiest method yet , and there have been many lolz.

That's been closed down iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 7 harkin1987

Just an update, the landline checker part of the efibre map has been updated even though the map itself hasn't. Checked my line yesterday, didnt have fibre, today I do. Good luck peeps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

harkin1987 wrote: »
    Just an update, the landline checker part of the efibre map has been updated even though the map itself hasn't. Checked my line yesterday, didnt have fibre, today I do. Good luck peeps :)

Wonder how the line checker would work if your line is a broadband only line with no working phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

harkin1987 wrote: »

Got a letter in the post yesterday and now my address says I'm enabled :) Excellent news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

noticed a few efibre cabinets in my area getting those extensions on top, are these just for extra capacity or part of the ftth rollout ?

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    noticed a few efibre cabinets in my area getting those extensions on top, are these just for extra capacity or part of the ftth rollout ?

Extra space for VDSL users.

Advertisement