Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if your child was gay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Gay Mitchel or Gay Byrne or Gaynor Whatsisname?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I get your point, but I think the whole "tough break" and bullying aspect of gay kids is extremely exaggerated - most gay people have the same chance of being bullied as the next person.

There was a gay kid in my class in school & no-one ever picked on him.. a bit of teasing, but no more than anyone else. The bloke that really got stick from the class was a smelly dude with no eyebrows.

My reasoning is nothing to do with potential bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

strobe wrote: »
    My reasoning is nothing to do with potential bullying.

What would be your reason(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

0_o

You jest, sir, I presume?!

These days you're damn lucky if it's only their ears they have lumps of metal hanging out of!! :pac:

read what you quoted again, with what you replied in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I get your point, but I think the whole "tough break" and bullying aspect of gay kids is extremely exaggerated - most gay people have the same chance of being bullied as the next person.

There was a gay kid in my class in school & no-one ever picked on him.. a bit of teasing, but no more than anyone else. The bloke that really got stick from the class was a smelly dude with no eyebrows.

And you turned out grand, all things considered.

• Advertisement

What would be your reason(s)?

Makes it harder to have naturalised (not sure what word I want there at all, at all) kids would be the major one. (there are a couple of minor reasons too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Fucking hell. Of all the things to worry about.

The sheer vanity of it is astounding.

Oh please, don't be so pretentious.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Honestly dont care as long as they're good craic and not assholes.

Also. Gay folks aint infertile.

Who said they were? The point is, if your child is gay, the chances of them producing their own child are dramatically decreased. Yes it's technically possible, but to ignore the fact it becomes highly unlikely is just sheer stupidity.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Of course they can be.

But I also remember a boy in my class getting bullied a lot more than me because his father had walked out on his mother, and she was an alcoholic.

Like I said, bullying happens.

But children learn discrimination from their parents (for the most part), and if you teach them to be homophobic then they will actively start to bully the children of gay parents.

Honestly, this whole thread screams of things like "I'm not racist... but"

Again, don't be so pretentious. I have clearly stated I personally have no problem with gay people and I'm offended that you insinuate otherwise.

It has already been pointed out, but for some reason people don't seem to get it.

Being bullied because you're fat, skinny or ugly is not the same as being bullied for being gay. Being gay is a much bigger issue to deal with in today's society in comparison to being fat. And to think otherwise is just downright delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I wouldn't react at all. Don't really see what the big deal is.

I'd probably just adopt the over-bearing dad approach to vetting any g/f or b/f though. You know; ink blot tests, background checks, ask them what their prospects are lol, ... think meet the Fockers.
    (Joke)

Honestly, it'd make absolutely no difference to me.

Oh please, don't be so pretentious.

I don't think you really know what 'pretentious' means.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mackg wrote: »
    read what you quoted again, with what you replied in mind!
    You have a point, indeed.

Hopefully he didn't ... >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Again, don't be so pretentious. I have clearly stated I personally have no problem with gay people and I'm offended that you insinuate otherwise.

It has already been pointed out, but for some reason people don't seem to get it.

Being bullied because you're fat, skinny or ugly is not the same as being bullied for being gay. Being gay is a much bigger issue to deal with in today's society in comparison to being fat. And to think otherwise is just downright delusional.

Yes, and the best way to combat such discrimination is to not care about the possibility your child is gay. That way when your child grows up, and if they are straight, the odds are they will not bully another child if their parents are gay.

But bullying is bullying. What any bullied child/teenager needs is support and love from their parents, no matter the reason they are bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

Boards.ie answer: "i'd have no issue with my child being gay :) "

The Truth: while with some it wouldnt make a difference, with others it would. I'd put money on there would be more parents having an issue with it than not.

Conclusion: All you're going to get is lies on here.
    What guy, girl or current parent is honestly going to come out on here and speak their true opinions. This is a "Politically Correct" thread. You'll never get genuine feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

CoolHat wrote: »

The Truth: while with some it wouldnt make a difference, with others it would. I'd put money on there would be more parents having an issue with it than not.

What guy, girl or current parent is honestly going to come out on here and speak their true opinions. This is a "Politically Correct" thread. You'll never get genuine feedback.

My genuine feedback.

I don't care what sexuality my children are.

As long as they don't marry a Canadian.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I would not be very happy if my child was gay. I would learn to accept it but would never be happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

My kids are great and I love them.
    If they happen to be gay then I have to say: My kids are great and I love them.

So redress the balance. What's your honest opinion Coldcap? (see what I did there? Yes? My friend, yes?) Don't leave us out in the cold man. If you are going to comment on what everyone else will say and why, say something yourself and why (using 'why' as a verb, 'cause that's just how I roll) it. Please, if you would be so kind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Personally, and I'm slightly ashamed to say this, but I'd be very disappointed.

I have no problem with gay people, I know a few and get on with them just fine. But, I would be devastated if I found out my child was gay. It would be an unmitigated disaster in my view.

Why? First of all for selfish reasons. I would love to be a grandfather one day and would find it hard to accept of being deprived that aspiration.

Secondly, I think gay people are unfortunately still heavily discriminated against in life. Especially when they are younger and in School. And it is not my wish to have my son go through hardships like this.

So, how would you feel if your child was gay?

What if your child was ginger ?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Bullying is going to happen to a kid if they're any way different to the clique, doesn't matter what their preference is.

I'd be more disappointed in my kid if I found out they were a bully themselves.

Typical..bully the bully.
    Why doesn't anyone look to try and understand why a bully is a bully?
    Why does everyone come down on the bully when the bully is, in fact, clearly suffering from some kind of mental affliction?
    Is everyone deemed worthy of understanding and kindness except those who find themselves in the unenviable/painful position of being a bully?

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    What if your child was ginger ?

I'd mercy kill it.

It's the only way.

The sun would get it eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Id be raging, especially if he was one of those camp fairy wans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    What is with this overwhelming desire people have to have grandchildren? Just because someone is gay it doesn't mean they can't have children. And even if they decide not to (as can your straight children, by the way) then so bloody what? Get over it!
    I know. Some people aren't lucky enough to be able to have children, never mind mourn the loss of imaginery grandchildren :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

well thats just not true.

people are much more likey going to be telling the truth on an anonymous forum.

as for the thread being politically correct? have you read the title! :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Who said they were? The point is, if your child is gay, the chances of them producing their own child are dramatically decreased. Yes it's technically possible, but to ignore the fact it becomes highly unlikely is just sheer stupidity.

Decreased hugely, but not highly unlikely. You'd be surprised at the number of gay folks that have kids.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This is a "Politically Correct" thread. You'll never get genuine feedback.
    AH hasn't won the "Most Politically Correct Forum on Boards" in many a year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So if you had a straight child who was infertile you'd be disappointed in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

humbert wrote: »
    Actually while looking up property prices in Zimbabwe it occurred to me that I would probably be a little worried if my son/daughter decided they were gay while in their teens.

People are incapable of making well balanced decisions at that age but I'd imagine it would be difficult after telling everyone you know that you were gay at 18 to turn around at 21 and say it was just a fad.

Well you sound, um... informed. People don't decide they're gay, any more than you "decided" to be straight. Or is that a fad too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

hondasam wrote: »
    I would not be very happy if my child was gay. I would learn to accept it but would never be happy about it.
    Then you'd have to be unhappy with yourself because they get the ghey from somewhere.

geetar wrote: »
    well thats just not true.

people are much more likey going to be telling the truth on an anonymous forum.

as for the thread being politically correct? have you read the title! :eek: :pac:

It was a nonsense point.
    People who preempt what people may express by dismissing comments that may not fit with what that person wants to to hear, and 'knows to true', as being the result of 'political correctness' is a hall-mark of nonsense points.
    There's no point in trying to look for a logical explanation: it's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I would be shocked... mostly because i dont have a kid.

but if i did all i would care about is them being happy and safe.

• Advertisement

It's kind of ironic - people who worry about their kids being gay because they might be discriminated against, are in fact discriminating against them themselves.

Sure, they'll put it down to "wanting the best" for their child etc., but in reality, it's nothing more than a projection of their own insecurities & ignorance.

It doesn't really have anything to do about how others will view their kids, but more so about how they will feel about them. And in all essence, it's actually a form of homophobia, because, as with all phobias, it's an irrational fear of something - in this case, homosexuality.

Advertisement