Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if your child was gay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Honestly, I wouldn't see being gay as any big deal.

It's a cliche, but as long as they were happy, I'd be happy. Being a heterosexual is no guarantee of either happiness or having grandkids.

I love my kids for who they are, not who they sleep with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Yes it is reality. And in reality people are discriminated against and bullied for a very wide variety of different things. One of your responsibilities as a parent is to support your child through these experiences.

Yes discrimination and bullying is something pretty much everyone has to deal with in life. But, if you are gay, you are bound to experience these issues to a much greater extent.
    mackg wrote: »
    If you had a straight daughter and she couldn't conceive and then decided to adopt would you feel the same way?

Honestly, yes. I just wouldn't view it as the same. But as I said, it would be better than not being a grandfather at all. And maybe in time I could love the child as if it was my own grandchild, I certainly would hope so and wouldn't rule out that possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I think you've got it the wrong way around.. species don't exist solely to propagate, though they do exist because they propagate.

Read The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

humbert wrote: »
    I've never been bullied for being white or pale...

Because other parts of the world don't exist where white people aren't in the majority?

orourkeda wrote: »
    Kids will get bullied for anything. This is absolutely true. Would the child of a gay couple be subjected to a more virulent of verbal abuse as a result? This question cannot be easy to answer

I wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I just wouldn't view it as the same. But as I said, it would be better than not being a grandfather at all. And maybe in time I could love the child as if it was my own grandchild

Fucking hell. Of all the things to worry about.

The sheer vanity of it is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Because other parts of the world don't exist where white people aren't in the majority?

I wasn't.

Are others?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

people who say they would be dissapointed should be ashamed of themselves.

if your son or daughter was ugly or fat would you be dissapointed because they would get bullied?

if you son our daughter was infertile and couldnt give you grandchildren would you be dissapointed?

think about what youre saying before people lose respect for you. id have no problem having a gay son or daughter and i mean that sincerely. why should i have any interest or right to feel disspointed in the sexual preference of my children? gay people can adopt, and id love that child just as if it were my biological grandchild.

youd have to be some sort of selfish twat to give a toss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Do you have a child at the moment OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Honestly dont care as long as they're good craic and not assholes.

Also. Gay folks aint infertile.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Are others?

Of course they can be.

But I also remember a boy in my class getting bullied a lot more than me because his father had walked out on his mother, and she was an alcoholic.

Like I said, bullying happens.

But children learn discrimination from their parents (for the most part), and if you teach them to be homophobic then they will actively start to bully the children of gay parents.

Honestly, this whole thread screams of things like "I'm not racist... but"

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »

I've read it - it's a theory / philosophy that I don't necessarily agree with, though he does make some good arguments.

I also find Richard Dawkins really annoying - if ever there was a need to invent the term "evangelistic atheist", he'd be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Personally, and I'm slightly ashamed to say this, but I'd be very disappointed.

I have no problem with gay people, I know a few and get on with them just fine. But, I would be devastated if I found out my child was gay. It would be an unmitigated disaster in my view.

Why? First of all for selfish reasons. I would love to be a grandfather one day and would find it hard to accept of being deprived that aspiration.

Secondly, I think gay people are unfortunately still heavily discriminated against in life. Especially when they are younger and in School. And it is not my wish to have my son go through hardships like this.

So, how would you feel if your child was gay?

You're not guaranteed grandchildren either way.

If your child is straight, it doesn't mean he/she is definitely going to have kids. Also, if your child is gay, it doesn't mean that he/she is definitely not going to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sonics2k wrote: »

Firstly we're in Ireland and secondly when I've been in non-caucasian countries being white was even more desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

geetar wrote: »
    people who say they would be dissapointed should be ashamed of themselves.

if your son or daughter was ugly or fat would you be dissapointed because they would get bullied?

Fat, yes.

if you son our daughter was infertile and couldnt give you grandchildren would you be dissapointed?

yes, if you wanted grandchildren, of course you'd be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bullying is going to happen to a kid if they're any way different to the clique, doesn't matter what their preference is.

I'd be more disappointed in my kid if I found out they were a bully themselves.

Firstly we're in Ireland and secondly when I've been in non-caucasian countries being white was even more desirable.

You should visit South Africa if you're looking for a bit of pale face discrimination action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 thisiswar

Once they were happy, healthy and weren't hurting others that's all I can ask for. If being gay made them happy so be it, as long as they're happy.

Country is irrelevant to the thread, but my point still stands. If you don't believe me, feel free to look up bullying cases in places like Marrickville in Sydney, where I lived for a few years. I can tell you first hand a lot of white kids got bullied there for being white. Hell, it even happens in parts of Asia.

My main point is this, kids can and will be bullied for a whole variety of things .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Buy a farm out in Zimbabwe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Think i could handle anything other than hearing that my putative son is heterosexual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

What is with this overwhelming desire people have to have grandchildren? Just because someone is gay it doesn't mean they can't have children. And even if they decide not to (as can your straight children, by the way) then so bloody what? Get over it!

thisiswar wrote: »
    If being gay made them happy so be it, as long as they're happy.

Dad.. "Are you happy being gay?"

Son.. "Not really dad.. I mean, I like guys and all but I get teased at school about it".

Dad.. "Hmm, maybe you should try being straight for a bit.. see if that makes you happier"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

woodoo wrote: »

Yes, it was the first Dawkins book that I read ......... probably 30 years ago. Have been a devotee ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'd absolutely prefer if my son or daughter was straight and if I had control over it I would choose for them to be straight.

If they were gay, well tough break for them but I'd be as much of a loving father to them as I would be if they were straight, obviously.

Buy a farm out in Zimbabwe.

Don't know if they'd have a problem with someone buying a farm, to be honest.
    It was the whole 'stealing the land' bit that, understandably, didn't go down too well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

All the arguments and points people are making are quite revalent ! And the exact same things were said in the 1950's about single mothers, one parent familys, chrildren born outside wedlock! etc and look where we are today! People look on children born out side wedlock no different to anyone else! Years ago this was not the case!
    My point is society changes, and i belive in 50 years gay parents will be a non-issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Actually while looking up property prices in Zimbabwe it occurred to me that I would probably be a little worried if my son/daughter decided they were gay while in their teens.

People are incapable of making well balanced decisions at that age but I'd imagine it would be difficult after telling everyone you know that you were gay at 18 to turn around at 21 and say it was just a fad.

strobe wrote: »
    If they were gay, well tough break for them but I'd be as much of a loving father to them as I would be if they were straight, obviously.

I get your point, but I think the whole "tough break" and bullying aspect of gay kids is extremely exaggerated - most gay people have the same chance of being bullied as the next person.

There was a gay kid in my class in school & no-one ever picked on him.. a bit of teasing, but no more than anyone else. The bloke that really got stick from the class was a smelly dude with no eyebrows.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I saw a lad with an earring the other day
    0_o

You jest, sir, I presume?!

These days you're damn lucky if it's only their ears they have lumps of metal hanging out of!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Actually while looking up property prices in Zimbabwe it occurred to me that I would probably be a little worried if my son/daughter decided they were gay while in their teens.

People are incapable of making well balanced decisions at that age but I'd imagine it would be difficult after telling everyone you know that you were gay at 18 to turn around at 21 and say it was just a fad.

Ye, wha, Gay?

Advertisement