Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Giveitfong wrote: »
    It was definitely Dave Bennett (or Daithi Mac Bineid as he was listed on the programme). I never saw him wearing a red helmet before but he was limbering up on the sideline in front of me for ten minutes before he came on, with No. 23 on his jersey (as in the team sheet that was distributed). His goal and point were also vintage Bennett. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck etc. By the way, they ran out of team sheets ten minutes before the start of the evening game. And in the afternoon the shop had no crisps or Mars bars by half time in the first game. All part of normal service from the Waterford County Board.

I missed most of the first game because of hundreds of cyclists on the Clonmel road coming from Thurles and on top of all that I was held up by a herd of cows crossing the road out near Beary’s Cross (although they didn’t hold up a big group of cyclists whom I had just passed and whom I had to pass again further down the road). The things I do to keep tabs of hurling in Waterford!

As for Jamie Barron, I don’t recall much ball going his way in the second half. And even though De La Salle have a good ball-winning half back line, Fourmilewater got around that by cleverly working the ball out of the half back line and through midfield to the half forwards. After all, FMW shot ten wides in the second half and while some of these were low percentage efforts from Hail Mary positions, I would say half of them were free shots which should have been scored. My point was that if Jamie Barron had been taking some of these shots they would more likely have been scored, as he is the best striker of a ball on the FMW team.

The shop in Walsh Park or Fraher Field has nothing to do with the G.A.A. They have the space leased out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Giveitfong wrote: »
    It was definitely Dave Bennett (or Daithi Mac Bineid as he was listed on the programme). I never saw him wearing a red helmet before but he was limbering up on the sideline in front of me for ten minutes before he came on, with No. 23 on his jersey (as in the team sheet that was distributed). His goal and point were also vintage Bennett. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck etc. By the way, they ran out of team sheets ten minutes before the start of the evening game. And in the afternoon the shop had no crisps or Mars bars by half time in the first game. All part of normal service from the Waterford County Board.

I missed most of the first game because of hundreds of cyclists on the Clonmel road coming from Thurles and on top of all that I was held up by a herd of cows crossing the road out near Beary’s Cross (although they didn’t hold up a big group of cyclists whom I had just passed and whom I had to pass again further down the road). The things I do to keep tabs of hurling in Waterford!

As for Jamie Barron, I don’t recall much ball going his way in the second half. And even though De La Salle have a good ball-winning half back line, Fourmilewater got around that by cleverly working the ball out of the half back line and through midfield to the half forwards. After all, FMW shot ten wides in the second half and while some of these were low percentage efforts from Hail Mary positions, I would say half of them were free shots which should have been scored. My point was that if Jamie Barron had been taking some of these shots they would more likely have been scored, as he is the best striker of a ball on the FMW team.

I'd say 4 to 5 balls went down his way second half he didn't win them. Not criticising him, fantastic performance by him, but I dunno that that would have changed moving him out the field. Also, first half he hit two or three wides, he was under pressure for them like. I'm sure he probably would have scored some of the missed opportunities but who would he have moved out instead of? Michael O'Gorman was to me the best player on view due to his aerial prowess, and ability to run at the De La Salle backs. Alan Lawlor scored three points off Kevin Moran, and while I don't doubt Jamie Barron's qualities would you really expect a greater return from a minor off a player like Moran? And then Bull Phelan was the other wing and to be honest they didn't need Barron on him, he could have been badly hurt.

Maybe they could have tried him out the field when scores dried up, but they were still creating plenty of chances. Management obviously held faith in the players further out the field to score those chances.
    I don't think they've been hitting such bad wides in general this year, but i agree there was several very bad wides hit by them. Hard to blame management for that. Think they should be happy that they've something to improve on and still managed a draw against the reigning Munster champions.

Are you sure Bennett scored the goal then? I was certain it was a fella in a black helmet, or certainly it was him that did all the jumping afterwards.
    Beating Ballyduff by 8 points (could have been more) after losing heavily to them last year and also losing by something similar to De La Salle last year and now drawing with them would be considered a fair achievemnet by most. I'm sure it'll be seen as a game that should have be won, but even if it was would count for nothing if they were to lose in a quarter final say. That's how I'd view it if I was involved in that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Deise Tom wrote: »
    The shop in Walsh Park or Fraher Field has nothing to do with the G.A.A. They have the space leased out.

It's the County Board's responsibility to ensure that those who get the leases for the shops provide a proper service. If not, they should lose the lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

i have a premium hurling final ticket i would like to swap for premium football final ticket. Any takers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What do ye think of Molumphy wanting Davy to stay on? I hope he's the only player to come out in support of Davy to stay on, after the Munster Final I'm surprised any of the players would want him to stay - surely they lost a lot of confidence in him after that.
    Molumphy wants Fitzgerald to stay
    Waterford captain Stephen Molumphy has said he would like to see Davy Fitzgerald retained as Senior Hurling Manager.Davy Fitzgerald has been in charge of the side since the summer of 2008 but is now out of contract with Waterford, with the county board having to decide in the coming weeks whether to retain him or look elsewhere.Speaking in the Daily Mail, Stephen Molumphy said that Fitzgerald had handed the changing of the guard exceptionally well, taking as much interest in the minors and under 21s as the Senior side and said he wants him to stay.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-sport/114394.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

What do ye think of Molumphy wanting Davy to stay on? I hope he's the only player to come out in support of Davy to stay on, after the Munster Final I'm surprised any of the players would want him to stay - surely they lost a lot of confidence in him after that.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-sport/114394.html

Stephen is Davy's captain and the two get on very well together, so he's not going to say anything different. If Molumphy approached the paper (which I doubt he did) to say that then it's a big seal of approval, but the question what probably poised to him and he gave the only answer he could.

What's of bigger interest is what appeared in the Clare Champion this morning:
    When one door shuts, another opens and that old adage is certainly holding true in Davy Fitzgerald’s case.
    His departure as Waterford hurling manager after a three year reign will become official by the weekend, casting him in the role as the front runner for the vacant Clare job.
    Fitzgerald met with officials of the Waterford County Board last weekend and will make an official announcement of his departure over the next few days. Neither his Waterford exit nor his ambition to assume the mantle in Clare was entirely unexpected.
    A meeting of the County GAA Board is scheduled for September 13 and the expectation is that finding a successor to Ger O’Loughlin as Clare hurling manager will be broached on the night.
    Courted by officials of the Galway County Board in recent weeks, Fitzgerald had a relatively successful stint in Waterford. He was a surprise choice after a player revolt resulted in the shock departure of Justin McCarthy in 2008.
    Within months of assuming control, Waterford’s fortunes experienced a remarkable turnaround. Later that season they qualified for their first All-Ireland final appearance in almost 40 years, but were comprehensively beaten by Kilkenny.
    During his reign, he guided Waterford to three Munster finals, winning the title in 2010, while they firmly established themselves as a top four team in the country. In those three years their championship elimination came at the hands of either Tipperary or Kilkenny.
    Already the rumour mill is at full throttle with speculation as to who is likely to be involved were Fitzgerald to get the endorsement of club delegates as the new Clare hurling manager.
    Brian Lohan, coach to Patrickswell, surprise victors over the Tony Considine trained Kilmallock in last weeend’s Limerick championship quarter-final, is being touted as is Mike Deegan who managed Cratloe to a first ever senior title two years ago.
    Louis Mulqueen, a highly respected physical trainer, who has worked previously with Clare teams under Ger Loughnane and Cyril Lyons, could also come under pressure to rejoin the Clare set up.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7441:davy-fitz-the-frontrunner-for-clare-hurlings-top-job&catid=35:hurling&Itemid=37

I was pretty surprised when I saw that since rumours have been increasing this week that he was going to stay on for another year. On the one hand you'd imagine the paper would have connections in the Clare CB or Davy himself so they'd have a pretty good idea as to what his plans are. But then again there's not even a hint of a source or quote in the piece, so it's hard to tell.

Daysha wrote: »
    Stephen is Davy's captain and the two get on very well together, so he's not going to say anything different. If Molumphy approached the paper (which I doubt he did) to say that then it's a big seal of approval, but the question what probably poised to him and he gave the only answer he could.

What's of bigger interest is what appeared in the Clare Champion this morning:

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7441:davy-fitz-the-frontrunner-for-clare-hurlings-top-job&catid=35:hurling&Itemid=37

I was pretty surprised when I saw that since rumours have been increasing this week that he was going to stay on for another year. On the one hand you'd imagine the paper would have connections in the Clare CB or Davy himself so they'd have a pretty good idea as to what his plans are. But then again there's not even a hint of a source or quote in the piece, so it's hard to tell.

Please, let it be true!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Rumour going that Eamonn O'Shea from Liam Sheedys Tipp background team has put his hat in the ring for the Clare job. Might put a spanner in the works for Davy getting the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

But do we really want an inexperinced man come in eg Fergal Hartley. Fergal should be given more time with the under 21s than be giving the senoir job. I would not like Jim Greene to get the job because he would be too old school imo. Kevin Ryan is staying in Carlow, An outside boss would b

My managment team for 2012 would be
    Michael Ryan (Manager)
    Jimmy Meaney (Selector (Eastern Divison)
    Dave Bennett (Selector (Western Division)
    Maybe a third selector but cant think of anyone
    Micko Casey (Coach/Team Tranier)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Please, let it be true!!
    i agree with the both of ye,stephen cant say any more, if you remember he done same last year.hopefully it will fall on deaf ears although county chairman has not come out and backed him which he did last year , then chaired a sub committee and reconmended davy to himself very fair that .also heard ger cunningham showing interest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 concerneddeise

It is important not to read too much into Molumphy's comments re Davy, with the management situation still very much uo in the air and Davy still in pole position to get the job again Molumphy realistically would have little option in the maedia but to endorse him wholeheartadly.....in other words if he said it was time for a fresh manager to change things and Davy gets re-appointed then Molumphy -or any other current player for that matter- would be marginalised in the camp (like previous sufferers Aiden Kearney, Liam Lawlor, Declan Prendergast, Brian Phelan amongst others).
    Of more concern should be that the County Board Chairman seems to have no interest in exploring any alternative options for the management position and push through Davy for another 2 years without any debate or interviews. Despite Molumphys comments in the paper the relationship between Davy and the majority of the players on the panel is effectively gone toxic and there is no appetite in the camp to work with him again. He was never universally popular with the players (few managers are very popular with their players) but after the Munster Final tactical shambles and his attempted substitution of John Mullane with 20mins to go v KK in this years semi even those players of a forgiving nature have lost all faith in Davy Fitz. This quite apparent breakdown of faith in him was the main reason he did not accept the initial approach to remain as manager from the Waterford County Board Chairman as he wants the Clare job but the emergence of Jamesie O Connor with Eammon O Shea as a possibility has minimised his chances and has returned to the Waterford County Board looking for a 2 year contract. Without a drastic change of mind from the County Board before the next meeting on 12th of Sept Davy Fitzgeralds appointment will be forced through without the support of clubs and against the wishes of the players and supporters.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    But do we really want an inexperinced man come in eg Fergal Hartley. Fergal should be given more time with the under 21s than be giving the senoir job. I would not like Jim Greene to get the job because he would be too old school imo. Kevin Ryan is staying in Carlow, An outside boss would b

Michael Ryan (Manager)

I dont think there should be an east-west split in the selectors. The most important thing is that we get the best manager and selectors, whether it is 3, 4 or 5 of them.

Michael Ryan (Manager)

I dont think there should be an east-west split in the selectors. The most important thing is that we get the best manager and selectors, whether it is 3, 4 or 5 of them.

It is important not to read too much into Molumphy's comments re Davy, with the management situation still very much uo in the air and Davy still in pole position to get the job again Molumphy realistically would have little option in the maedia but to endorse him wholeheartadly.....in other words if he said it was time for a fresh manager to change things and Davy gets re-appointed then Molumphy -or any other current player for that matter- would be marginalised in the camp (like previous sufferers Aiden Kearney, Liam Lawlor, Declan Prendergast, Brian Phelan amongst others).
    Of more concern should be that the County Board Chairman seems to have no interest in exploring any alternative options for the management position and push through Davy for another 2 years without any debate or interviews. Despite Molumphys comments in the paper the relationship between Davy and the majority of the players on the panel is effectively gone toxic and there is no appetite in the camp to work with him again. He was never universally popular with the players (few managers are very popular with their players) but after the Munster Final tactical shambles and his attempted substitution of John Mullane with 20mins to go v KK in this years semi even those players of a forgiving nature have lost all faith in Davy Fitz. This quite apparent breakdown of faith in him was the main reason he did not accept the initial approach to remain as manager from the Waterford County Board Chairman as he wants the Clare job but the emergence of Jamesie O Connor with Eammon O Shea as a possibility has minimised his chances and has returned to the Waterford County Board looking for a 2 year contract. Without a drastic change of mind from the County Board before the next meeting on 12th of Sept Davy Fitzgeralds appointment will be forced through without the support of clubs and against the wishes of the players and supporters.

Agree with what you have to say, but i would not label all the county board as pro Davy and pushing for him to be re-elected. I get the impression with some time that some of them what to get rid of him, and maybe it could be a case of the sooner the better.

ah agree this east /west thing has contributed enough negativity over years

Agree with what you have to say, but i would not label all the county board as pro Davy and pushing for him to be re-elected. I get the impression with some time that some of them what to get rid of him, and maybe it could be a case of the sooner the better.
    spot on, i sincerely hope your right about some members of county board against it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 concerneddeise

Thats a fair point DeiseTom i accept that not all members of the County Board are pro Davy Fitz and do have reservations about his impending re-appointment but i would ask are they being vociferous enough in their reservations and have they explored alternatives and spoken to possible candidates. The consensus seems to be that other possible candidates are reluctant to declare interest in a job that already looks like a done deal....like entering a contest in public view that there is no chance of winning!! Should these members of the County Board make it known that they are open to discussion on the matter they would be pleasantly suprised at the level of candidate open to approach......but these candidates can not be expected to declare their interest publicly, particularly in the knowledge of Tom Cunningham's personal preference for Davy Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

ah agree this east /west thing has contributed enough negativity over years
    There is no east/west split only respect,look at county championship matches no grudge at all between players.Them days are long gone in waterford in my eyes anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

There is no east/west split only respect,look at county championship matches no grudge at all between players.Them days are long gone in waterford in my eyes anyway

+1

• Advertisement

If only the Intermediate and junior championships would go all county. The intermediate Premier championship that Clashmore tried to introduce two or three years back would have been very good to the county, progress wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If only the Intermediate and junior championships would go all county. The intermediate Premier championship that Clashmore tried to introduce two or three years back would have been very good to the county, progress wise.

I think intermediate premier would definitely be a good idea, but can't see an all county junior championship being a runner. I think the juniors find themselves being stuck playing midweek and Friday nights quite often, and if you had to travel from one end of the county to another I think a lot of teams would struggle to field teams.

I would like to see an east and west league retained if intermediate went all county, purely to offer players more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I agree i'd love to see an all county championship aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Oh dear, is this what it has really come to, with strong rumours that Davy may be back in for another term. If so, I sincerely wonder if anyone connected to the re-appointment process, be they county board members or clubs, have any interest in what is good for Waterford hurling, in place of their own personal/ political aims.

Once again, the whole process around the appointment of the senior manager is a joke, and wonder have our county board learned anything from the type of committee selection system employed by Limerick et al, which has proven so successful. Tom Cunningham would seem to be from another century, and instead of standing back and seeking to do the best for Waterford, would seem instead to be focussed on the vestiges and appearances of power, as well as probably not being seen to be losing face.

We underachieved this last decade, with much of the blame falling to limited management who were kept on too long, because nobody could grasp the nettle. Are we content to do so again this decade? From all the soundings and rumourmill within the county, it would appear we are, unfortunately.

Is it too much to ask for a forward thinking set-up in Waterford, when it comes to senior affairs, or are we content to lag behind and follow the status quo? If so, it is no wonder we are unable to close the distance between us and the likes of Tipp & KK, and more than likely with Dublin too, if we continue down the road of mediocrity.

I know this sounds quite cynical, and guess the cynic in me has taken the soapbox tonight, but we would appear to be mirroring the fortunes of the English national soccer team in the rapid recycling of talented local managers followed by the retention of limited managers.

The decision to part ways with Davy should in no part be influenced by speculation as to who his replacement should or could be, but rather instead be limited to one question - is he good enough? I defy anyone but perhaps Messr. Cunningham and the naysayers outside the county, to answer yes to that.

The Waterford hurling job is one of the biggest hurling jobs in the country, with no lesser raw materials than managers have fashioned All Ireland winning teams from in the past, and the simple reality is that if the position becomes vacant there will be a dearth of able canditates that would love a chance of taking the reins.

The ambiguousness around this whole process really needs to end here. A fair playing field for all potential canditates is the very least of what is needed for Waterford hurling. Or perhaps we'll be looking back on this decade as well, as the one that got away.

Rant over, I guess.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think intermediate premier would definitely be a good idea, but can't see an all county junior championship being a runner. I think the juniors find themselves being stuck playing midweek and Friday nights quite often, and if you had to travel from one end of the county to another I think a lot of teams would struggle to field teams.

I would like to see an east and west league retained if intermediate went all county, purely to offer players more games.

Most if not all the junior games in the west of the county are played between Friday and Sunday, and dont see an all county competiton creating a problem. There is little reason why the games cant be played on these days in all county games. I dont know why the East Board play a lot of their junior games in mid week, Tuesday to Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theres gonna be a significant drop in match attendance next year if hes kept on. Ive lost count of how many people Ive heard say they wont pay to go to matches if hes back in charge.
    From what Ive heard Davy wants 2 years and Cunningham is willing to give him them. They should both fcuk off at this stage.

• Advertisement

Davy, if you want to be re-appointed as the Waterford manager for another year or longer, will you come out and bloody say it instead of getting people to come out and praise you to the hilts. Earlier this week Stephen Molumphy as captain with the past two years said he should remain on and this morning on WLR we had some Brother that worked with Davy signing his praises without actually using certain words.

Hopefully when a decision is made it is not just those that worked with Davy since he came down from Clare that will be listened to. Every one has to get a say. (be listened to more over, those pro and anti Davy been reappointed).

The county board will have to listen to what the supporters are saying as well. By supporters, I don’t mean the people that turn up for the big games who I would regard as followers more than supporters. The supporters are the ones that will go out and buy and sell Deise Draw tickets, those that will attempt to do the same for the new car draw etc, the people that turns up week in week out for club games in all grades.
    It is no secret now that the county board are under a severe financial strain but the exact degree cannot be left known in the different media outlets. Its said by some that much of this strain is down to the money put into the senior hurlers mostly since Davy came aboard. I cant but feel that if the degree of the financial strain was to be made known that many of those might stop supporting such things such as the Deise Draw and there is people who are rather than giving the money to the county board through their clubs (who get a portion of the money back) they are giving all the money to the club and more might start doing this if Davy is reappointed.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Theres gonna be a significant drop in match attendance next year if hes kept on. Ive lost count of how many people Ive heard say they wont pay to go to matches if hes back in charge.
    From what Ive heard Davy wants 2 years and Cunningham is willing to give him them. They should both fcuk off at this stage.

It was reported in the examiner a while back that Davy was offered a new contact with the Waterford hurlers. It was not said if it was an official or unofficial approach. I think the link was up on the older Waterford G.A.A. Section on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Davy, if you want to be re-appointed as the Waterford manager for another year or longer, will you come out and bloody say it instead of getting people to come out and praise you to the hilts. Earlier this week Stephen Molumphy as captain with the past two years said he should remain on and this morning on WLR we had some Brother that worked with Davy signing his praises without actually using certain words.

Hopefully when a decision is made it is not just those that worked with Davy since he came down from Clare that will be listened to. Every one has to get a say. (be listened to more over, those pro and anti Davy been reappointed).

The county board will have to listen to what the supporters are saying as well. By supporters, I don’t mean the people that turn up for the big games who I would regard as followers more than supporters. The supporters are the ones that will go out and buy and sell Deise Draw tickets, those that will attempt to do the same for the new car draw etc, the people that turns up week in week out for club games in all grades.
    It is no secret now that the county board are under a severe financial strain but the exact degree cannot be left known in the different media outlets. Its said by some that much of this strain is down to the money put into the senior hurlers mostly since Davy came aboard. I cant but feel that if the degree of the financial strain was to be made known that many of those might stop supporting such things such as the Deise Draw and there is people who are rather than giving the money to the county board through their clubs (who get a portion of the money back) they are giving all the money to the club and more might start doing this if Davy is reappointed.

Who are you to think that because you buy a ticket for a raffle that you can decide who the inter-county manager is?

Stephen Molumphy > Deise Tom in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Most if not all the junior games in the west of the county are played between Friday and Sunday, and dont see an all county competiton creating a problem. There is little reason why the games cant be played on these days in all county games. I dont know why the East Board play a lot of their junior games in mid week, Tuesday to Thursday.

Two reasons I think. The first is that the board treats the junior with total contempt and throw the fixtures on whatever days nothing else is on. The second is lads who play junior don't have it as their first team or sport - e.g. he'll be playing soccer, another GAA code, rugby whatever. If that is on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon he'll play that instead.

I also am of the belief that if you ask lads who aren't as committed as seniors to travel the length of the county on a fine summers evening, some of the time it'll be easier for them not to bother and go on the beer/spend time with the family etc. Much easier task to get them to run up the road for the fixture.

Open to correction on both fronts, but thats what I reckon to be the case.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Two reasons I think. The first is that the board treats the junior with total contempt and throw the fixtures on whatever days nothing else is on. The second is lads who play junior don't have it as their first team or sport - e.g. he'll be playing soccer, another GAA code, rugby whatever. If that is on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon he'll play that instead.

I also am of the belief that if you ask lads who aren't as committed as seniors to travel the length of the county on a fine summers evening, some of the time it'll be easier for them not to bother and go on the beer/spend time with the family etc. Much easier task to get them to run up the road for the fixture.

Open to correction on both fronts, but thats what I reckon to be the case.

All sounds reasonable to me. I do think that those competitions are held in disregard by the County Board, but then even the Senior fixture scheduling leaves a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement

Mega Chin wrote: »
    straight talking i love it im not a fan of davy never was if they only listen [county board ]or even read the papers [news and star ]where flynner said what most of us believe .AND THAT IS THAT DAVY HAS DRAGGED US BACK 30 YEARS .if its about money which i heard it is and no other manager would do the job on davys EXPENSES ,its pretty sad although i have a simple solution give me the job no personel expenses for me and ill come up with a cool 100000 euros in funds for the cause fact

straight talking i love it im not a fan of davy never was if they only listen [county board ]or even read the papers [news and star ]where flynner said what most of us believe .AND THAT IS THAT DAVY HAS DRAGGED US BACK 30 YEARS .if its about money which i heard it is and no other manager would do the job on davys EXPENSES ,its pretty sad although i have a simple solution give me the job no personel expenses for me and ill come up with a cool 100000 euros in funds for the cause fact

Think its a bit harsh to say Davy has dragged us back 30 years, as on balance we've kept our head above water, although that has often seen us struggle hard to beat teams below us in the pecking order, as well as shipping annihiliating hammerings from the top 2. With regard to some aspects such as our touch, I would be inclined to agree though.

There would also seem to be a lot of ambiguousness about the cost of having Davy at the helm. While I know nobody wants to come out and say on a public forum what the exact picture is, it would seem to be on the high side, although I do not doubt for a second that not everything is being expensed by Davy like everyone seems to think. Plus, regardless of peoples opinion to Davy, it is clear no stone is being left unturned, regardless of whether things are utilised in the most effective fashion by Davy & co.

One can't help escaping the feeling that things have turned mercenary though, if rumours are to be believed that Davy asked for another 2 years after the arrival of Jamesie and Eamonn O'Shea onto the field for the Clare job. Waterford should not be satisfied with second best, and definitely not with a man, for whom it would seem sees Waterford as a secondary/ backup option.

All the others are moving on with strong appointments, be it Limerick snagging O'Grady, Barry Murphy returning to Cork, and the likes of Eamonn O'Shea going to Clare. This is not to mention the continued presence of Cody on Noreside, Declan Ryan taking over the helm of the Tipp juggernaut, and Anthony Daly going from strength to strength in Dublin.

Waterford similarly need a serious management team in place, and not the incumbents who have displayed serious failings while having received more than a fair crack of the whip. No other county in the modern game would consider retaining such a management team beyond 3/ 4 years, at least if they have any belief in the squad.

Mt sion 2.10 ballygunner 0.7 at halftime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cake Man wrote: »
    Mt sion 2.10 ballygunner 0.7 at halftime

Christ. Different scoreline then I was expecting :/

FT Mt Sion 2-15 Ballygunner 2-12. Good rallying comeback second half from BG and could have got something from the game but for some bad wides. Paudric Mahony with a few poor wides from scoreable frees which was surprising given his usual top accuracy from placed balls. But in fairness to him he got some good scores from play aswell as some longer range frees.
    Tony and Ken were very good for the winners. Plenty of timber from both sides throughout! Didn't see Shane O'Sullivan playing for BG, nor Stephen Power-I assume they were injured.

So how does that leave things stand now as regards the group winners etc?? Any results from Fraher?

Cake Man wrote: »
    FT Mt Sion 2-15 Ballygunner 2-12. Good rallying comeback second half from BG and could have got something from the game but for some bad wides. Paudric Mahony with a few poor wides from scoreable frees which was surprising given his usual top accuracy from placed balls. But in fairness to him he got some good scores from play aswell as some longer range frees.
    Tony and Ken were very good for the winners. Plenty of timber from both sides throughout! Didn't see Shane O'Sullivan playing for BG, nor Stephen Power-I assume they were injured.

So how does that leave things stand now as regards the group winners etc?? Any results from Fraher?

Means the quarter finals look like this;

De La Salle v Passage
    Lismore v Tallow
    Fourmilewater v Ballygunner
    Ballyduff Upper v Moun Sion

Think its a bit harsh to say Davy has dragged us back 30 years, as on balance we've kept our head above water, although that has often seen us struggle hard to beat teams below us in the pecking order, as well as shipping annihiliating hammerings from the top 2. With regard to some aspects such as our touch, I would be inclined to agree though.

There would also seem to be a lot of ambiguousness about the cost of having Davy at the helm. While I know nobody wants to come out and say on a public forum what the exact picture is, it would seem to be on the high side, although I do not doubt for a second that not everything is being expensed by Davy like everyone seems to think. Plus, regardless of peoples opinion to Davy, it is clear no stone is being left unturned, regardless of whether things are utilised in the most effective fashion by Davy & co.

One can't help escaping the feeling that things have turned mercenary though, if rumours are to be believed that Davy asked for another 2 years after the arrival of Jamesie and Eamonn O'Shea onto the field for the Clare job. Waterford should not be satisfied with second best, and definitely not with a man, for whom it would seem sees Waterford as a secondary/ backup option.

All the others are moving on with strong appointments, be it Limerick snagging O'Grady, Barry Murphy returning to Cork, and the likes of Eamonn O'Shea going to Clare. This is not to mention the continued presence of Cody on Noreside, Declan Ryan taking over the helm of the Tipp juggernaut, and Anthony Daly going from strength to strength in Dublin.

Waterford similarly need a serious management team in place, and not the incumbents who have displayed serious failings while having received more than a fair crack of the whip. No other county in the modern game would consider retaining such a management team beyond 3/ 4 years, at least if they have any belief in the squad.
    well said i would love to write all that but it would take a good few months and my points would be missed,in that time davy would have said that it was a good league ,even though anyone that mattered would have finished above us ,and that getting 2 another munster final was a great achievement even though we were beat out de gate ,but you know it could not be helped because some fellas were talking about him ie [dan and flynners] we would beat antrim by a point,and wexford in the game of the century[it was an absolute battle, a war, christ im so proud .LOTS OF TEARS,before leaving croker with de biggest beating ever,its all your fault dan/flynners,pass de tissues i think im going 2 cry so i am.not a bad effort well worth de rumoured 250000 euros in expenses since he came in

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

what are you on mountain lad if ballygunner topped group a and fourmile top group b how could they possibly be playin each other..

the draw is

ballygunner v ballyduff
    mount sion v lismore
    fourmilwater v tallow
    de le salle v passage

Nope, Mountain is spot on. Mount Sion top group A due to beating BG last night (head to head) even though both finished top on equal points.

Some juicy fixtures there, I'd fancy DLS to take care of Passage and Lismore to beat Tallow but the other two games could go either way. I'd just about give the nod to Sion to beat Upper as they'll surely have gotten a great confidence boost after beating BG yesterday.
    I think BG and Fourmile is the pick of the draw and should be a good game.

Those fixtures the weekend after next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 horselips

Michael Ryan (Manager)

If Jason Ryan stays on in Wexford which is looking likely would Micko Casey stay with him? Does he still have the Sports Injury Clinic? Was with him a couple of years ago found him very good.

• Advertisement

Went to the double header in Dungarvan Saturday, arrived about 10 mins late for Stradbally Lismore and missed 3 goals in that time. Stradbally built up an impressive 10 point lead going into half time and you wondered how they had got to this stage of the campaign pointless though it did feel as if Lismore were disinterested. Shane Aherne was particularly impressive in the first half.

After the break Stradbally showed why they are battling relegation with an ultra defensive display which meant when the backs cleared the danger there was no forwards up the field to win it! Maurice Shanahan led the revival with a great display. Stradbally giving away a ten point lead to draw must be worrying with relegation playoffs looming

The second game was a pedestrian affair. De La Salle were comfortable throughout and you always felt that any time Ballyduff mounted a comeback that De La Salle could raise it a gear. Ballyduff looked blunt in attack. A village with such a small pick will always feel the effect of injuries and it certainly looked the case with 4 players unavailable. On this display Mount Sion should beat Ballyduff

ThinK Sion should beat Ballyduff Upper alright, but not hammer them. Maybe 5 or 6 points to spare. Heard Ballygunner were missing half their team on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Keep your ears out tomorrow lads. We should finally be getting the confirmation frankly many of you will be happy to hear.

Of the 8 teams left how would you rank them?

I'd say
    1. De La Salle- Hot Favourites
    2. Ballygunner - Only team i think can beat De La Salle on their day. Maybe a year too soon for them
    3. Fourmilewater - Dark horses, playing great stuff. Still think they are a bit short of winning it
    4. Lismore - Have went close last few years, think they missed their chance 2 years ago. Stop Maurice Shanahan and you stop Lismore
    5. Mount Sion - Seem to be turning the corner after a few horrid years by their standards. Some promising hurlers coming through
    6. Ballyduff Upper -The little village are always hard to beat, lacking firepower to mount a serious challenge and a bit light in reserve to cope with injuries
    7. Passage- Seriously relying on Kelly to shoot the lights out for them to get any further
    8. Tallow - Have shipped some big hammerings to the stonger teams in the past few years. Erratic form to say the least

Keep your ears out tomorrow lads. We should finally be getting the confirmation frankly many of you will be happy to hear.

Heard the rumours alright, and hopefully they're true so we can make the next step forward in that ever elusive quest for Liam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Is it 100% true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    Is it 100% true.

He's already gone :)

deise_girl wrote: »
    He's already gone :)

Yes, RTE has just run the story..

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0906/fitzgeraldd.html

And O'Grady gone too :eek: