Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

On the bright side, you learned more about sailing today than you would if it had been uneventful. You never stop learning btw, that's the beauty of it :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Steve wrote: »
    On the bright side, you learned more about sailing today than you would if it had been uneventful. You never stop learning btw, that's the beauty of it :)

Never a truer word said, you can learn the technical stuff etc but dealing with things on the day is something else.

I haven't been sailing for a few weeks, was hoping to get back this week, but my fooking car died so I'm car shopping instead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You know what? That's exactly what I was thinking. While it was far from a life-threatening event (there were plenty of passing motorboats, plus we were probably less than a mile out), it was a good learning experience.

I admit it has dented my confidence somewhat, but I suppose the only thing for it is to get back into the boat next weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    For some reason, we were unable to tack. We don't know if there was a problem with our setup, or what it was, but no matter what we did, no joy. :D

Never sailed a Hobie but, many years ago, I did sail a Condor Cat for a couple of seasons and the Condor didn't like changing direction....at all, at all. Next time you're out, maybe these tactics will help:
    • Don't even think about going about if you're not making good speed. It may be necessary to bear off a few degrees for a few boat lengths to gather enough speed to tack well;
    • Don't be gentle with the tiller - slam it to leeward!
    • Don't release your mainsheet unless you have to. If you get anywhere close to head to wind, the main will be ready to drive you onto the new tack.
    • In case of hesitation to "rotate" onto the new tack, I've often released the mainsheet and "tugged" the boom to the new weather side to speed up the tacking process.
    • Don't let your jibman trim his sheet too early. In fact, he should be prepared to use the jib, much more than in a monohull, to assist the rotation onto the new tack until the mainsail begins to fill - he may have to pull the jib to weather (wrong side) until your mainsail fills, especially if the boat is "in irons" (stuck!).
    • I can't remember if the Hobie's mainsail has full-length battens but, if it has, the sooner they snap into the new / correct bend the sooner you'll gather speed on your new tack. A sharp yank or two on the mainsheet usually pops them over.
    Unrelated tip: Because of their sharp entries and slim hulls, you don't really get a sensation of speed in a cat. Progress is quite smooth and quiet, but beware - you ARE travelling! So, when underway in a cat, don't fall off because, at a typical cat speed, the water is hard and (believe me) it hurts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive seen some weird stuff done to boats but cleaning ur kids oppie with baby wipes is just plain odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Oh dear, bit of an eventful day. :o

The water was incredibly choppy, surprisingly in fact, for this neck of the woods. Wind was nearer 20 kts most of the time. My sailing buddy, who has about 15 years sailing experience in keel boats, wasn't too comfortable taking part in the race, but we went out for the sail anyway.

For some reason, we were unable to tack. We don't know if there was a problem with our setup, or what it was, but no matter what we did, no joy. The inevitable smack on the head from the boom occurred after about an hour and a half of annoying jibes.

At this point we started heading in, the wind was picking up, the water was getting even more choppy so we felt we made the right choice. We then hear a noise and the jib was somehow ripped completely and rendered useless. At this point, I was thankful for my now helmsman's experience he immediately barked that we were to lower the mainsail and wait for a tow, which we did.

The safety boat was over to us within 10 minutes to throw us a line, by which point we were glad as we were being tossed around quite a bit.

Of course this was the first time ever my wife decides she would come down to watch me sailing, only to see me being towed in. Oh, the indignity. :D

I’m just back from the Irish Cat Nationals this weekend in Lough Neagh SC.
    I don’t mean any offence, but you are sailing a Hobie 16. They don’t point. With the fine bows and sterns, they pitchpole without much warning and unless you are experienced, they are almost impossible to tack, especially in waves.
    You need to bear off slightly, build up speed, pick a gap in the waves and steer firmly into the tack. Keep the main cleated until you are crossing the trampoline, then let it out a small bit. Don’t let the rudders centre until you are sure that the cat has completed the tack. Don’t un-cleat the jib until it backs. When you are sure that the cat is around, draw in the mainsail and accelerate away on the new tack, making sure not to turn up too close to the wind until you are settled on the new tack. Also do not sheet in the jib to tightly until the cat is settled on the new tack.

The Condor had centre boards and was a lot more controllable than the Hobie 16, but has not been raced on the Irish circuit since the early 90s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Lovely days sailing in Howth today, even met a boardsie or two :)

Lovely days sailing in Howth today, even met a boardsie or two :)

What class were out in? Wasnt out but missus was saying the club was packed after. Was driving out by clontarf about 3 and seems to have been a good few out over in the bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

My boots died :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

neris wrote: »
    What class were out in? Wasnt out but missus was saying the club was packed after. Was driving out by clontarf about 3 and seems to have been a good few out over in the bay.

There was a fairly good turn out, its was the second last race of the Dbsc series. About half to two thirds of the number of boats that raced on Thursday, seems to be more difficult to get crew on Saturdays. With the northly winds we were using the race marks close to poolbeg so much further up that side of the bay than usual.

@missnostars what happened the boots? Just worn out? I did not think mine would last through this year, but they have come though reasonably well. Not sure what to go for next.

Yeah, worn out and a hole in one :( only about 5 years old. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

5 years sounds good out of a pair of boots.

My foul weather jacket's 10 and still going strong :D

I have high expectations of gear. Probably too high when I spent a decent amount of time scooting around on the bow. Bows are bad for boots.

neris wrote: »
    Was out in white sails. Yeah good crowd in the club afterwards, not like the heyday when it was on Sunday mornings but still impressive.
    Parking was a nightmare though, spent at least 20 mins looking for a spot & was already late so ended up slightly less than legal :)
    My foul weather jacket's 10 and still going strong :D

I have high expectations of gear. Probably too high when I spent a decent amount of time scooting around on the bow. Bows are bad for boots.
    Are they Dubarrys? if so a repair is normally cheaper than a new pair :)

Are they Dubarrys? if so a repair is normally cheaper than a new pair :)

They are indeed, what's the story on repairs?

Ring them or email them with pics and they'll let you know 090 9642348 / info@dubarry.com

It depends where the leak is but I've had boots re-soled and re-lined by them and it's a lot cheaper than buying new.

Ring them or email them with pics and they'll let you know 090 9642348 / info@dubarry.com

It depends where the leak is but I've had boots re-soled and re-lined by them and it's a lot cheaper than buying new.

I'd be surprised if you can get a re-sole done - they've stopped stitching soles on and mould them these days. I know my approx. 5-year-old boots - on which the leather and lining are perfect, but the sole is like being on an icerink on wooden decks - can't be done.

Plus, they don't have many sailing boots in the outlet shop these days - I've never paid full price for a pair and it's killing me contemplating shelling out over 200 quid for a new pair.

But I think it'll just have to be done.

It's been a few years so you could be right there HH. I know they moved boot production to Spain or somewhere so the supply of perfect 'seconds' dried up - no harm to call them though, all they can say is no :)

It's been a few years so you could be right there HH. I know they moved boot production to Spain or somewhere so the supply of perfect 'seconds' dried up - no harm to call them though, all they can say is no :)

The re-sole thing depends on the colour of the Dubarry badge in the sole - if it's a different colour or the same brown as the sole.

I'll know when I get home which mine is and I'll post which means it can't be done. I think it's if it's a different colour it can't be done - think mine was green.

They've always been incredibly helpful to me when I've rung up about sizes in their shop - gone and checked the shelves for me. But as far as I know they haven't had any of the all-brown boots in years, and only have a random few sizes in the other styles.

• Advertisement

I'll bow to your knowledge there, as I said it's been a while.

I'll bow to your knowledge there, as I said it's been a while.

I'm not trying to show off, honest - just made that very query earlier this year :D

Didn't mean it like that. sorry :D
    All info is good info!

Was out in white sails. Yeah good crowd in the club afterwards, not like the heyday when it was on Sunday mornings but still impressive.
    Parking was a nightmare though, spent at least 20 mins looking for a spot & was already late so ended up slightly less than legal

parking on the pier is a joke now. Between day tripers the club and the feckers taking up 2 spaces with their campervans.

Yeah, what's the craic with them? they seem to have taken over the middle pier?

Campervans are a nightmare. Planning issue, maybe? Is it zoned as a halting site? Because that's what it is right now, a defacto halting site.

And yeah, last week I was driving around for a good 15-20 minutes and passing loads of spaces that were too small (and my car is tiny) cos of camper vans either side or someone deciding to park their trailer across three spaces. One would have done like... If the harbourmaster would like to get off his hole and do something about the camper vans it'd be nice... But somehow I doubt that'll happen. In the same way I doubt he's interested in dredging up the mess the trawlers make of the moorings when they turn into the commercial harbour...

The howth harbour master.... ill say nothing. Dont want to be in court. Those campers apparently get free electricity n were getting wifi off the club till the club realised the wifi usage was off the wall. Park beside them and be prepared for filthy looks of "how dare you invade my garden"

Sometimes I think we don't realise how lucky we are in Dublin Bay. Last paragraph very apt :D

Fair play to everyone involved, racing in Dublin Bay and those who organise it really are quite phenomenal.

http://afloat.ie/sail/sailing-clubs/dublin-bay-sailing-club-news/item/26789-dublin-bay-sailing-club-dbsc-celebrates-its-130th-anniversary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Anyone old enough to remember when DBSC had a premises & 'clubhouse' (well, a sort of one)? Or DL midweek racing on Wednesdays? Or go out in a launch from the 'Depot'? Or tie up at the Man o'War Steps? Or even know where those places were?

• Advertisement

Anyone old enough to remember when DBSC had a premises & 'clubhouse' (well, a sort of one)? Or DL midweek racing on Wednesdays? Or go out in a launch from the 'Depot'? Or tie up at the Man o'War Steps? Or even know where those places were?
    I'm old enough but my mis-spent youth sailing in HYC denied me the privilege :D

I'm only a relative noob to DBSC, about 10 years or so. Was an Alfred member for a long time though, not really the same.

Advertisement