Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Passed 3 Topaz garages this morning. Unleaded is now €165.9.

Was seriously in the red so had to stop at one of them. Only got the minimum (2 Litres) and told the guy I was just getting enough to make sure I got to Maxol in the westside where it is €162.9 - he just laughed.

BTW: woman in next pump over put on a disposable glove before using the pump.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

paulgalway wrote: »
    Passed 3 Topaz garages this morning. Unleaded is now €165.9.

Was seriously in the red so had to stop at one of them. Only got the minimum (2 Litres) and told the guy I was just getting enough to make sure I got to Maxol in the westside where it is €162.9 - he just laughed.

BTW: woman in next pump over put on a disposable glove before using the pump.:confused:

Re disposable glove, was she at a diesel pump perhaps?.

Re disposable glove, was she at a diesel pump perhaps?.

Would Diesel make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Would Diesel make a difference?

Yes because Diesel is very greasy, takes ages to get it off your hands if you splash any.:)

:pac: . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Petrol is 165.9 in Topaz on the bridge & everyones friend in topaz/the arch on seamus quirke road is a whopping 166.9.

It wont even take until the end of the year to hit €2 at the rate its going.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Topaz on SeamusQuirke now 167.9 for unleaded, the Maxol up the road is a full 2c cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

A good tip if youre annoyed with topaz prices is to ask the cashier for the pricing departments phone number in dublin. Theres a number especially for those types of complaints. Complaining to the cashier will get nothing done i can assure you because they dont have any power at all over price. Let the guys at the top know how you feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Topaz newcastle now 169.9 for unleaded.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Topaz newcastle now 169.9 for unleaded.

All Topaz in the city are €169.9.

Texaco at the docks are €165.9

Maxol in Westside €166.9

Why do people still go to Topaz ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

How much are Esso in Monaghans/Hogans?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Why do people still go to Topaz ???

Gift voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

antoobrien wrote: »
    How much are Esso in Monaghans/Hogans?

Hogans Esso is 168.9 at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Diesel is €1.549 in woodquay service station.

yer man! wrote: »
    Diesel is €1.549 in woodquay service station.

Is this a new place?? How much is petrol do you know?

barryd09 wrote: »
    I can't remember how much the petrol was but its the small service station where the dyke road meets the headford road, it's attended to so you can stay in the car... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

It was €164.9 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Folks I got dodgy diesel from a new service station in Galway city centre car emissions started acting up took it to the garage and he said your last fill of diesel caused the problem and he said the fuel filters were needing replacement as a result.
    So by trying to save a few pennies I had to fork out a bit today,not a happy customer.

Sappa wrote: »
    Folks I got dodgy diesel from a new service station at Woodquay,car emissions started acting up took it to the garage and he said your last fill of diesel caused the problem and he said the fuel filters were needing replacement as a result.
    So by trying to save a few pennies I had to fork out a bit today,not a happy customer.
    Hmmm it's impossible to know whether or not it was THAT fill up that caused the problem without testing the fuel you got from the station. Loads of taxis use the place and still are as of today, most of which with diesel.

Folks I got dodgy diesel from a new service station at Woodquay,car emissions started acting up took it to the garage and he said your last fill of diesel caused the problem and he said the fuel filters were needing replacement as a result.
    Did performance drop just after the fill up or was there problems before?

Something similar happened with emissions when I used to fill out at fahys on headford road but I stopped using that garage on advice.
    My last two fills both in the space of 5 days were at the station in town,my mechanic said without a doubt it was the culprit.
    I could`nt care to much if loads of taxis use that station,there not exactly known for looking after their cars.
    I certainly won`t be filling from any unbranded stations anymore,too much dodgy diesel around unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I do wonder why they left the Texaco brand all right and set up independently. Is bad diesel just someone buying in certified refinery diesel and diluting it with something? if it came from a refinery it would have to be perfect. Would love to test the stuff to see as there ain't that many combustible products cheaper per liter than petrol or diesel. I know laundered diesel is simply red diesel hydrolyzed with concentrated hydrochloric acid to get rid of the dye, however this isn't always done correctly and can decrease performance dramatically and destroy a fuel filter. Customs do not check for acidity, just the dye and sulphur content as there is far more in red diesel for identification but that can also be removed so it wouldn't be picked up easily during routine checks by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

I could`nt care to much if loads of taxis use that station,there not exactly known for looking after their cars.

That has to be the stupidest statement I've heard for quite awhile.

Aragh sure...we love to run our cars into the ground so that we have to fork out more to garages when our cars fall apart beneath us and leave us without an income.

Ehh ever see a secondhand taxi for sale,they are run to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stay on topic - prices.

To be fair, if any group would be aware of dodgy fuel from a dodgy station it'd be taxi drivers.
    Taxis run into the ground? They are taxis, its not unusual to see an ex-taxi for sale at 150,000km.

Did you go back to the station and say it to them about the fuel?

To be fair, if any group would be aware of dodgy fuel from a dodgy station it'd be taxi drivers.
    Taxis run into the ground? They are taxis, its not unusual to see an ex-taxi for sale at 150,000km.

Did you go back to the station and say it to them about the fuel?
    Not yet but I fully intend to tomorrow after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 billbee

Hi Folks,

With the Rising costs of fuel it might be an idea to share knowledge about where to find cheap petrol in Galway. According to an RTE news article the average price in the country is 115.9
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0523/petrol.html

I haven't found anything under 117.9 in Galway City... Has anyone found anything cheaper than this?

A if only this were still true now in 2012 its now nearly 2 euros a litre :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

billbee wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

With the Rising costs of fuel it might be an idea to share knowledge about where to find cheap petrol in Galway. According to an RTE news article the average price in the country is 115.9
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0523/petrol.html

I haven't found anything under 117.9 in Galway City... Has anyone found anything cheaper than this?

A if only this were still true now in 2012 its now nearly 2 euros a litre :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    The price of crude had actually come down to 2007 ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

I have bought a couple of 20e lots from there and have not had an issue. Maybe because I was using diesel from other stations besides there but the last time I was there I did notice there was a sign in the window for Claddagh Oil Company so maybe any complaints should be directed to them. Would imagine thought that it is under new ownership as well.

Edit: If there is any question at all about the quality I will avoid it like the plague.

• Advertisement

And is this garage much cheaper than other garages?

Advertisement