Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Brendygg wrote: »
    ballyb old from 10th tee box towards 3rd tee box and 2nd fairway, then the 11th hole in 2nd pic.

Ah, the short fescue on the left of 11 threw me off, probably one of the best holes in golf, that 'dip' is just mad stuff altogether

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

better pic of it I took in early december, was like summer that day!

fMmr3zel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Amazing.

Was saying to the lads the other day - I have 2 or 3 big links trips left.

North / Donegal

Then Kerry - have never played golf in Donegal or Kerry. Terrible, maybe the 2 best counties for golf in the country - I better get moving on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Amazing.

Was saying to the lads the other day - I have 2 or 3 big links trips left.

North / Donegal

Then Kerry - have never played golf in Donegal or Kerry. Terrible, maybe the 2 best counties for golf in the country - I better get moving on it.

Tralee and ballybunion scratch cups on a Saturday and Sunday in may. Definitely worth the trip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My pic of the 11th, pretty crap camera phone but still captures it...
    The green is the lighter shade in the distance between the two dunes, if you know the hole you'll be better off

302aypu.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I have just qualified to post in this thread. Let's just say I love playing in windy conditions. Pitching a 7 iron 20 yards short and letting the ground do the work for you is just so much different then what I'm use to.
    I love the idea that you really get rewarded for good course management. Iron off the tee, if it hits the fairway will run forward even into the wind. There are so many ways to get the ball on the green, putter, wedge, hybrid.
    The best club you have on a links course is the one between the ears!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

And Boards, at last, hit a Links.

Was a great day in Portmarnock Links - a joy to play golf at that level for that price. The question remains, for how long will we get a links course at this level at that price in Dublin. Sadly , you feel, it is short lived. Keep it quiet - don't tell them. Or at least, keep an Open going for the locals please.

There are many great links - when you step up on that first tee - it gives you a feel you are in for something different. It is a feeling hard to describe, love, pleasure, nervousness, relaxation, release.

The first on the links - is a classic drain hole, flat par 4.

We (as in Ireland) must think of a more poetic name to describe this feature. Makes it sound like an extension to the toilet / plumbing.
    Swilken & or Barry wouldn't sound as evocative if they were followed by "drain".

We (as in Ireland) must think of a more poetic name to describe this feature. Makes it sound like an extension to the toilet / plumbing.
    Swilken & or Barry wouldn't sound as evocative if they were followed by "drain".

:D

Sorry Trapper.

How about - Irish Water hole after the state company.
    Miserable Drain
    Dirty Ditchwater Bitch
    Sewer Trench
    Drained Dreams
    Dirty Ditch
    Water Way
    Gully Gathering
    A Links Canal
    Wooden Sea Way
    Tidal Drain
    Green Moat
    Sleeper Flow

Work in progress :)

:D

Sorry Trapper.

How about - Irish Water hole after the state company.
    Miserable Drain
    Dirty Ditchwater Bitch
    Sewer Trench
    Drained Dreams
    Dirty Ditch
    Water Way
    Gully Gathering
    A Links Canal
    Wooden Sea Way
    Tidal Drain
    Green Moat
    Sleeper Flow

Work in progress :)

For me its a tie between Dirty Ditch and Sewer Trench.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

This was possibly mentioned somewhere already but looking at the scores for the inter varsity championship at the European last week. Crikey, the European strikes again! +8 for three rounds won it, Alex Gleeson. 5th place was 20 over. The place is beastly. I like it from time to time but couldn't hack being a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

z9QM1U.jpg

The links yesterday morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Went out for a quick 12 in Corballis today. Great conditions for it. Bring on the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

@SeapointGolf: COMPETITION TIME!
    Win a 4ball and Full Irish Breakfast at Seapoint! Simply RT to enter!
    Winner announced 28/3/15 http://t.co/0S2sK4L1UT

For those on twitter.....

Very strange to play Corballis without wind today - a chance of reaching 3 - and got a rare bird there.

[IMG][/img]qp0w8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

I was actually saying to myself today in work I reckon Corballis be lovely today! The ball was still collecting mud yesterday in my home course so reckon it be a couple of weeks yet before qualifying starts. May have to sneak a few Corballis fri opens in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Very strange to play Corballis without wind today - a chance of reaching 3 - and got a rare bird there.

[IMG][/img]qp0w8h.jpg

Such a good hole the 3rd could be on any links course in the country and not be outof place. If the 5th was 50 yards longer it would be up there too.

I was very lucky to play The Island today, with Golfgraffix, The Big Easy, and Ryaner777. Not my first time to be invited out there – I just love the place.

There is always an almost childlike excitement, when you know, you are heading to one of the “big ones”. Even the drive to The Island - is a joy and a discovery. If you’re from the North Side of Dublin, there was always a bit of mystery about The Island, it isn't an Island, but is about as out of the way you can be in Dublin – yet only 5 mins from the M1 these days. Dublin has changed from when it was a boat journey from Malahide.

The practice facilities are an incredible introduction to what is ahead – you take your normal chip on the full size chipping green – and then your ball rolls – then rolls – then rolls. You are on a perfectly course paced, chipping green. A joy, when you consider, how often you go to courses in Ireland and the practice facilities are a little forgotten about. You enter into a bunker at the practice area also, about 8 feet deep, top class condition – “Welcome to The Island”. As “Ryaner” said – you could spend a day there alone.

The condition of the fairways and greens are amazing - a must play for links lovers. In fact, does links condition get any better? - I’ve only seen that level of Links condition, at Rosses Point – Portmarnock Old – The Island. I’ve played a good few of the other “top links” – but Links golf is a very very hard form of golf, to get the course into perfect condition – it can be a harsh place by the sea. Also, many of the surfaces are prone to wear and damage. It is a constant battle for the hard working and exposed green keepers. I congratulate them.

There are holes on The Island, that require local knowledge and experience – the first time I played 1 and 2 and 5 and 6 and 8, the holes were a true mystery, visually and difficulty. This time around, I got a bit more of a feel for them and was more in the par area on them. Even a birdie on offer on the shorter ones or if you get a good drive away. As links go – it is a course that requires a great first shot. People often say, that golf is about recovery and short game – but, recovery can be taken away from you, North of Malahide Estuary.

But the real test – if you do get away, starts at the green complexes, this starts at 2, when you see it is all about the flow of the green. This, sadly, is not something you learn after 4 or 5 rounds there, I’d suggest 10 to 20 rounds, maybe years. But the best links courses, require a long term relationship.

They are solid true mature links greens. They must be amazing in summer.
    We were all in good enough positions on 3 – yet 2 of us ended up with doubles or more – people may laugh without playing the course – they may laugh – they may laugh. Try it. A totally different game. Not for everyone, but leaves you perplexed and would love to try it again, and again, and again. There seems to be a human condition, part of the Golf condition, to want to do it better. The Island, will certainly keep that condition alive, in any Links lover out there.

We all commented on the peacefulness of certain parts of the course, the dunes are so large, you feel you are cocooned in, you travel away from the clubhouse and you only see it another few times in your round, at the turn and the long view home on 18.

Many golfers have a great feel for a course layout – but, The Island is genuinely like a garden hedge maze of dunes. You are often lost and uncertain of where you will end up.

Back to, the too often through, true greens - it is a joy to play them, feel them and see them. They are fearsome too, as you can putt off the green, from on the green. None of us did this – but a chip from below or on the high side, was like a new golf experience.

The fall offs on some of the green sides – are almost unfair, but you love that, if you love your links. If you miss – it is a double on the way. But sometimes the ball will take an unexpected pleasant run too. It is the debate about Links golf the world over. Is it fair? Well it is when you use it to your advantage. But, not something we will ever find agreement on.

The course was not as hard as my last two visits, due to wind and winter rough – but you still need to have every aspect of the game in good shape , to get anywhere near your handicap there.

Had a funny event on number 9, there is a new mound being built on left of 9, a par 3, you have to go back 70 yards to a drop zone, if you landed inside the area under work. I said, I'm going to putt this, longest putt I have ever tried to make on a links, 210 feet, just went a couple of inches to the right and missed it, was funny, made one back for my longest ever 2 putt. That exemplifies why links is so interesting for some, there is no right shot, at one stage, we had 4 balls below a green, all played it in a different way, from flop – to chip and run – to putt -to normal pitch. All ended up in the same place.

The course is in fantastic condition. Has improved over last 3 years I’m going there.

It is literally and metaphorically the hidden gem of the east – perhaps, of the country. Rather ridiculously, of the world. When something is too close - you can be blinded by the brilliance. Are we blinded in Ireland ?

I definitely played the best golf I ever played there – that was still only 33 points – 10 pars and a bird , I’d be delighted with that there, but next time I go there, I’ll try score. But, I know that there is much more to learn – for example the 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th. I have seen from The Big, how to play 8 and seen from Ryaner that you need to be deep on 16 – as he holed a great Birdie.

The 18th – is almost too hard, but was delighted to walk away with a par. It is one of the hardest finishes in the country – just pure distance and typically into wind.

We finished off with a great lunch and a friendly atmosphere.

Thanks to David there – always very welcoming and everyone else at The Island. I don’t think your story, once started with The Island, Is ever finished.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Fix, you are a legend, every post like this is a story into an experience on a golf course that we all must experience at least once in our golfing lives.

I'd love to send you off with kevinmarkham for a summer to photograph and document the best courses in Ireland!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Fix, you are a legend, every post like this is a story into an experience on a golf course that we all must experience at least once in our golfing lives.

I'd love to send you off with kevinmarkham for a summer to photograph and document the best courses in Ireland!!

Vegas, :D

No charlie - was just saying to a lad there - I've done golf and talking crap about it.

Sick of myself, again.

One more Jug - then taking up Spanish Guitar, full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Welcomed changes in Ballyunion (Old) http://www.kerrygolfnews.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I was very lucky to play The Island today, with Golfgraffix, The Big Easy, and Ryaner777. Not my first time to be invited out there – I just love the place.

Fantastic write up Fix; transportive. Was very lucky to join you, golfgraffix and Ryaner on Friday, even though you schooled me :)

A morning on a great links is a spiritual experience really and the Island is more than a little special. In Ireland we are spoiled really when it comes to great courses especially links. We can perhaps take if for granted; considering people travel from all over the world to sample their unique charms.

I hope one day to be in the position where I can join one of our truly great links and the Island would be very high up on the wish list. Like Fix I look forward to a long-term relationship with the course :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Titus Andronicus

On Friday coming, the 27th March, I'm getting to play The European for the first time.
    We're booked in for 2 rounds on the day so fingers crossed for the weather & my poor feet.
    Any advice for the first timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

On Friday coming, the 27th March, I'm getting to play The European for the first time.
    We're booked in for 2 rounds on the day so fingers crossed for the weather & my poor feet.

Forget about the score and just enjoy it... and bring plenty of balls :) It's stunning.

Try to avoid the bunkers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I'm playing Thursday myself for fourth time I think so I will let you know of condition although I reckon it will go along the lines of: Condition of course is just perfect

Love the course myself, won/stole the first round of the 4ball matchplay so get to go back next month. Course was in super condition as always. It narrows up around 260 off almost every tee so down wind a shorter club off some tees. It is way more generous than it looks fairways are reasonable wide but don't look it off the tee.
    Bunkers are just get out and move on. Don't like the sleepers myself a bit dangerous.
    Enjoy the day.

A few comments FDP
    The condition of the fairways and greens are amazing - a must play for links lovers. In fact, does links condition get any better? - I’ve only seen that level of Links condition, at Rosses Point – Portmarnock Old – The Island. I’ve played a good few of the other “top links” – but Links golf is a very very hard form of golf, to get the course into perfect condition – it can be a harsh place by the sea. Also, many of the surfaces are prone to wear and damage. It is a constant battle for the hard working and exposed green keepers. I congratulate them.
    The conditioning of the course has improved vastly over the last few years. There was a concerted effort by the club and in conjunction with the new Head Greenkeeper, and course architect to improve the nature of the course. Top of the list is the removal of all non native (to links land) grass in favour of Fescue. You'd be surprised to learn how many famous links courses have happily allowed fescue to be replaced by medow grass for convenience.
    You are right about the worn areas. I often wonder is it because the course is built on sand even more so than many other links? Is it because the design funnels players into narrow walk ways or because the landing areas sometimes collect the balls in areas that become highly worn? A good example is the fairway on the 8th.

We were all in good enough positions on 3 – yet 2 of us ended up with doubles or more – people may laugh without playing the course – they may laugh – they may laugh. Try it. A totally different game. Not for everyone, but leaves you perplexed and would love to try it again, and again, and again. There seems to be a human condition, part of the Golf condition, to want to do it better. The Island, will certainly keep that condition alive, in any Links lover out there.

I really like holes 3, 7 & 12. 3 really difficulty holes that are relatively open and have just one bunker between. They look easy but you need to play a really smart drive and a really good mid to long iron approach.

I definitely played the best golf I ever played there – that was still only 33 points – 10 pars and a bird , I’d be delighted with that there, but next time I go there, I’ll try score. But, I know that there is much more to learn – for example the 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th. I have seen from The Big, how to play 8 and seen from Ryaner that you need to be deep on 16 – as he holed a great Birdie.

The 18th – is almost too hard, but was delighted to walk away with a par. It is one of the hardest finishes in the country – just pure distance and typically into wind.

We finished off with a great lunch and a friendly atmosphere.

Thanks to David there – always very welcoming and everyone else at The Island. I don’t think your story, once started with The Island, Is ever finished.

For me to score well, I have to let go of my score. You cannot force your game. You need to concentrate on the shot in the moment rather than dipping for the end.
    If you think the 18th is difficult, try hitting the drive when you are actually in contention. Get it right you carry the hill, get it wrong you are reloading and so intimidated, you're likely to take 6 with your 2nd ball.

Finally, I whole heartedly agree with your comment on our Pro Dave, a true gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

In an entertaining coincidence, I wrote two pieces on The Island for two different magazines. One for Golf World, which I submitted in October, and one for Irish Golfer Magazine, which I submitted three weeks ago. They got published in the same week.

Couldn't agree with you more, Fix. But, sure, you know that already.
    I really like holes 3, 7 & 12. 3 really difficulty holes that are relatively open and have just one bunker between.

I had never really appreciated that. And look at the indices!

Trapper - this could be due to lack of experience.

But said to Golfgraffix

- Not sure I'm a fan of 7 yet - the green is just - is just. I don't want to say it - unfair :o
    Early for me to call that one - was happy with a bogey.

Now for socialism ;):D

Is there any way for Links Lovers - from Ireland, to play the Island at reasonable rate . The US are known for local rates etc.

a) Is there an Open week ?
    b) The Euro club has an arrangement in winter.

I'm not expecting open doors or anything like that and understand the marketing strategy ?

But is there any way lads can get in at a reasonable rate - East coast alliance etc ?

I will play it once every 1 or 2 years. I would pay full rate as mad as that is. One of the few courses I'd pay full rate.

Trapper - this could be due to lack of experience.

But said to Golfgraffix

- Not sure I'm a fan of 7 yet - the green is just - is just. I don't want to say it - unfair :o
    Early for me to call that one - was happy with a bogey.

Now for socialism ;):D

Is there any way for Links Lovers - from Ireland, to play the Island at reasonable rate . The US are known for local rates etc.

a) Is there an Open week ?
    b) The Euro club has an arrangement in winter.

I'm not expecting open doors or anything like that and understand the marketing strategy ?

But is there any way lads can get in at a reasonable rate - East coast alliance etc ?

I will play it once every 1 or 2 years. I would pay full rate as mad as that is. One of the few courses I'd pay full rate.

Have managed to play most the major links courses between The European and Conemmara at this stage and haven't payed the full rack rate for any of them.
    The ACC and the Great North Links & coast of Down challange plus opens winter rates games with members have gotten me out for great rates. Even get 8 guys together and ring the course for a discount.

How about a winter Links comp for next year where we get a group to play the European, Portmarnoch, The Island and Balrtay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Lads,

Played The Island around 6 or 7 years ago. Friend won a fourball voucher. Have to say we loved it, had a great time. It was my first links and played terrible but didn't care.
    I was in the area about a year later and decided I'd pop in to club house for a cuppa with my wife and to just have a look at the course to see how it was shaping up or any work being done (which I often do for courses that I've played and loved). Parked the car and started to walk to the pro-shop when a member of staff came out and asked was I a member or was I playing. I told him I was just going up to the pro-shop. I was told if I'm not playing I'd have to leave, he said they had a number of break-ins recently. When I asked was he winding me up he just said sorry but you'll have to leave.
    Only other time I'd a reception like that was at the Old Head. Is it still the same at The Island or did they just not like the cut of my jib ;)

Advertisement