Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Strandhill Co sligo! Loved the place :)

Have only played the first 12 holes there... and I didn't leave because I didn't like it! Ran out of time :(
    Was playing pretty dam good aswell, a couple over at the turn iirc, which made it worse.

I thought it was a cracking course, right down my street, a links that has a few quirks...i.e I'm sure plenty will say the 4th isn't a true links hole but I think it's a cracking hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Strandhill Co sligo! Loved the place :)

What a place to start.

Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

PARlance wrote: »
    Have only played the first 12 holes there... and I didn't leave because I didn't like it! Ran out of time :(
    Was playing pretty dam good aswell, a couple over at the turn iirc, which made it worse.

I thought it was a cracking course, right down my street, a links that has a few quirks...i.e I'm sure plenty will say the 4th isn't a true links hole but I think it's a cracking hole.
    Love it as well played it once on a miserable day had 37 points and won the open. Need to get back this year.

St. Annes have announced counting opens for the month of Feb.

Played the Kilmore 9 in Carne on Saturday, probably the "best 9" I have ever played. Some of the holes are nothing short of spectacular.

I was the only one out on the course, not a sinner on the 27 holes. The sun was shining but the wind was crazy. Couldnt pass on the opportunity seeing that I was down in Belmullet.
    It was a surreal experience, being out there feeling absolutely tiny at times as the massive dunes surrounded me.

They plan to play the old back 9 & the Kilmore 9 together a fair bit. When they do, I cant see any other course getting near it.
    Not the kind of course that you would want to play every weekend, it's a brute, but a course that I'll play at least once a year from now on..she's a beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Played the Kilmore 9 in Carne on Saturday, probably the "best 9" I have ever played. Some of the holes are nothing short of spectacular.

I was the only one out on the course, not a sinner on the 27 holes. The sun was shining but the wind was crazy. Couldnt pass on the opportunity seeing that I was down in Belmullet.
    It was a surreal experience, being out there feeling absolutely tiny at times as the massive dunes surrounded me.

They plan to play the old back 9 & the Kilmore 9 together a fair bit. When they do, I cant see any other course getting near it.
    Not the kind of course that you would want to play every weekend, it's a brute, but a course that I'll play at least once a year from now on..she's a beaut.

Will the new 9 be in play for the ACC Parlance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

How were the greens, was down last sept and still had a bit of bedding in to go?

Agree some monster holes on the new nine, I kept expecting to come across the temple of doom at the end of the par five!

Pretty sure they'll be including the kilmore and old back 9 for the ACC but not 100% Denis.

Ronney wrote: »
    How were the greens, was down last sept and still had a bit of bedding in to go?

Agree some monster holes on the new nine, I kept expecting to come across the temple of doom at the end of the par five!

Still a little bit to go on the greens, they seem to be bedding in well but there's a little bit work I would imagine. I was just glad to make it to the greens :)

That par 5 is unreal, I thought I had gotten lost playing it.. but finally spotted a green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Pretty sure they'll be including the kilmore and old back 9 for the ACC but not 100% Denis.

If not I might try to get in that 9 while I'm up there. Sounds like they are as good if not better than the original 18. :eek:

Any pictures Parlance ?

• Advertisement

Any pictures Parlance ?

Just trying to get a few onto laptop now.

Here's the par 5 first. Looking back towards the tee (clubhouse) and then towards the green from the same spot.

2ec2gky.jpg

2lj14iw.jpg

The 9th green looking back from the green.

2wp2vs5.jpg

That 9th one is class -
    Also first looks like some slope up.

Approach to the 8th

28wj9rc.jpg

Looking down on the 8th green on the uphill walk to the 9th

2gy9182.jpg

Feck ya - looks like I'm heading back to the most inaccessible course in Ireland.

There is a flag on that green btw... middle left of photo...it's just tiny in relation to the size of the green, dunes etc.

A nice easy par 3... don't be short, left, right, or afraid of heights

ick9rk.jpg

The Par 3 2nd... 150 yards and downhill, came up short with 4 iron :D

Tee to Green
    2wdpocj.jpg

Green
    f56po7.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Speechless. We have to organise a mini outing down there!

Keano wrote: »
    Speechless. We have to organise a mini outing down there!

A 10+ hour return trip from Cork and an 8+ hour return from Dubln... there wouldn't be time for any golf :)
    You would have to go for a weekend, a great spot for one, the town is absolutely crazy. Shell keeping the place hopping... we could barely get into a pub and left the nightclub "early" at 3am... it didn't look like it was finsihing up anytime soon either.

Here's one final pic from the original back 9.

k9zzus.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

A nice easy par 3... don't be short, left, right, or afraid of heights

ick9rk.jpg

I haven't set foot on a course since new years eve......
    the appetite has been whetted.......Wow!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ah ya it would have to be a weekend job or for a few of us nutters a mid week thing!

And Boards, at last, hit a Links.

Was a great day in Portmarnock Links - a joy to play golf at that level for that price. The question remains, for how long will we get a links course at this level at that price in Dublin. Sadly , you feel, it is short lived. Keep it quiet - don't tell them. Or at least, keep an Open going for the locals please.

There are many great links - when you step up on that first tee - it gives you a feel you are in for something different. It is a feeling hard to describe, love, pleasure, nervousness, relaxation, release.

The first on the links - is a classic drain hole, flat par 4. From an elevated tee you have a great view of too much. A hard hole, as you can drive too far and hard also, as with an iron you are too far back, leaving a very difficult 2nd. The bunkers around the green are so well designed that trouble awaits, an even slightly leaked mid iron, a double awaits. Bang - you are in a round from the off - tested from the first walk. I wish I could fade on demand is what you are thinking after you step off with a 5. 1 down.

Anyone who loves their links - loves what Langer did in the Irish Opens, he won by basically record numbers in the Irish Opens in Portmarnock and Royal Dublin - he destroyed the Links courses on the east coast at The Irish Open - in the rather benign 84 and 87 summers. I was too young, but was told about them and his extraordinary play , this was before his putter troubles. He infamously practiced in Corballis when he was here. So you can see why he is linked to a Links on the east coast of Ireland. Disappointingly , he never won The Open Championship - perhaps the best links player, not to have done so

So for links lovers - it is class when you get a day with just enough wind - little or no rain - and enough time to take your time. It was a hard place for someone to start playing a game - that people say is a different game.

It was slow , but to be expected, on a tough championship level course in winter conditions. Some holes seem a bit unfair in a way - you are literally inches from a birdie or bogie - many greens are very elevated with 10 to 20 feet drops - up and downs can be quickly 3 shots.
    The short par 3s have your card in their hands.
    The rough is cut back - and with ok play you can finish with the one ball .

Some fantastic links holes like 2 and 3 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 and 15 and 16 and 17 and 18 and that is a lot of ands.

The great thing about Portmarnock Links is the variety of holes - from flat, to part blind, to doglegs, to dune holes. It has a little surprise around the next 90 degree corner.
    There is a calm towards an ending 4 hole storm - the rest on the flat, is much needed rest.

Sadly - the stunning Portmarnock Beach , never fully comes into view , this has a hidden advantage , as you are greatly sheltered from the wind at the coastal holes. The only sense of life outside, is the sound of the sea. You feel remarkably isolated , considering how close you are to a populous village.

We can complain, rightly so at times. About our Irish weather. But a friend of mine is 3 feet under snow in US and loves his golf. To be in mid February and have a dry square divot pump out of the ground, is a joy in winter Ireland. Just that links feel. Sound, class if your that way inclined.

The greens are fearsome at times - most players not use to playing putts at that pace downhill in winter. A thing you need feel for. You almost need your putting designed for it. Summer must be incredible.

So the work continues on the course, I hope that carpet is a temporary thing (fake grass). Is practical - but just feels wrong on a links.

When we hit 16 - a hailstone cloud gathered - it was fearsome looking. The only blue was just above home over 18. We were hammered making putting impossible and comical.

17 is a fantastic par 3 - a good 6 or 5 iron and again 1 foot either way from joy or to another shot, you have never seen or practiced before.

18 - is a great finishing hole , almost a simultaneous happiness to be done and sadness that it is over. It leaves her mark in your mind to come back.

A sign of a great course , is a course that never gives you too much , a course that demands you put the time into her. It will give you something at some stage. But, you need to get to know her more first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I am afraid to say that the artificial is there to stay, I would agree that is cheapens the course and looks wrong.

Hopefully some heavy traffic will make it look less garish.

J

A bit harsh by me on grass perhaps.
    I'd rather walk on that than an uneven worn path.
    Many an ankle sprained on a bad path.

Just not use to it.

Links lads can be a bit......
    A bit ....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

A bit harsh by me on grass perhaps.
    I'd rather walk on that than an uneven worn path.
    Many an ankle sprained on a bad path.

Just not use to it.

Links lads can be a bit......
    A bit ....

....a bit up their own grass paths?

Dealerz wrote: »
    ....a bit up their own grass paths?

:D

Very much agreed.

You are very good at the hole in ones and the one liners, Dealerz.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Looking out at rain this morning, I cant wait for summer!

5lFFJTHl.jpg

X2EHANPl.jpg

What course is that lads ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

ballyb old from 10th tee box towards 3rd tee box and 2nd fairway, then the 11th hole in 2nd pic.

Advertisement