Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can anyone recommend any good dealers in NI for Volkswagen cars?

Isaac Agnew in Belfast if you want to go main dealer. Had them do warranty work on a VW before and found their after sales way better than anything down here. They are on the Boucher Road like many other car dealers located there so are close to the M1 if your coming from the South.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    Could someone help clear something up for me. I'm hoping to purchase/collect a car in N.I. tomorrow. Can I then wait until January to get the VRT inspection and make the payment? It says you have 30 days, and if that means working days, it would bring me up until 4th January.
    I believe the VRT would be reduced a bit by waiting until the new year? Or am I missing something?

It's not 30 working days, it's 30 days.

Your insurer will only cover you for 30 days on a UK reg, so if you buy the car today you will have to have Irish plates on it by the 20th December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Thanks for clarifying the working days v all days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

Hi.
    How do I show proof of when vehicle was imported to Ireland if I buy it in N.Ireland?
    No invoice when buying privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

write one yourself, possibly buy some petrol for it in the north, garage will add the reg no if you ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

Also regarding PPS proof.
    My payslips are digital. would they accept a printed payslip?

After I pay the VRT and get my new reg at what point can I ring my insurance? Will it show on their system the next working day, or do I need to ring straightaway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'd ring them straight away(or update it online) so they can issue your Insurance Disc with Irish reg number on it. No reason to wait, I did mine online the same day with Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Number_05

Hi, I'm half way through buying a car in Bristol, having it inspected by Dekra on Friday. Can anyone recommend a Transporter company to bring it back and how much would I be looking at?

I might also fly , ferry collect depending on time off.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Number_05 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm half way through buying a car in Bristol, having it inspected by Dekra on Friday. Can anyone recommend a Transporter company to bring it back and how much would I be looking at?

I might also fly , ferry collect depending on time off.
    Thanks[/quote

Fly & drive back,I just brought a Corsa back & really enjoyed bringing it back on the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Can anyone tell me what do I do if stopped by the Gardai in regards to a car under 4 years old brought in from England. The VRT center said it isn't due an NCT until April as its under 4 years old

I just don't want to be bloody pulling over to the side of the road at every check point for no NCT disk

Why would you be pulled over if your car isn't due it's first NCT yet? There is nothing illegal about that. VRT and NCT are too separate requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

The Gards may be a bit hazy on NCTs but I'd say one thing they do know is that a 3 yr old car doesn't need an NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

Hi, has anyone purchased a car from Rybrook motors in Warrington/Chester? I'm thinking of buying a Volvo v40 from them in the new year. How does the warranty work when you bring it back here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

If a garage in NI are offering to import the car for you how does that work? Do you buy it and then wait for them to do the paper work/ net centre stuff and then meet them after that or collect from them with the Irish plates on?

If they are providing that service then they should arrange the VRT appointment, put Irish plates on it and do the paperwork. When you go to pay for it and collect it then it should have Irish plates on it. They might need your PPSN, along with proof of address/utility bill for the VRT bit but you need to ask them that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone with recent experience with transfermate? Used them back in 2009, whats the transfer time like currently? Eg transfer by the deadline, does it take rest of day, or funds there soon afterward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

It takes about an hour or so, but they generally won't commit to this when discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

copacetic wrote: »
    Anyone with recent experience with transfermate? Used them back in 2009, whats the transfer time like currently? Eg transfer by the deadline, does it take rest of day, or funds there soon afterward?

I didnt use transfermate. I used internet banking using their IBAN number

Kace wrote: »
    It takes about an hour or so, but they generally won't commit to this when discussing.

Thanks, yep it was as before, comes through not long after their deadline, don't seem to be able to push it through any earlier or later. I.e send after the deadline it doesn't go though until after the next days deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Quick Question. Would you advise to buy now or hold off until the new year. Looking at bringing in an A3 but willing to hold off if it will be cheaper in 2018.Any thoughts?

The UK reg does not go by calendar year, they change registrations in March and again in September so wait until March for prices to drop as the car will be considered a year older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

bazz26 wrote: »
    The UK reg does not go by calendar year, they change registrations in March and again in September so wait until March for prices to drop as the car will be considered a year older.

Reg changes, but age changes in January .

aujopimur wrote: »
    Reg changes, but age changes in January .

I know but from a buying perspective, the price of a Jan 16 car for example, will be cheaper to buy in March or April than buying the same car in January due to the registration plate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

bazz26 wrote: »
    I know but from a buying perspective, the price of a Jan 16 car for example, will be cheaper to buy in March or April than buying the same car in January due to the registration plate change.
    That's because it's older by March.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

aujopimur wrote: »
    That's because it's older by March.

No- its because they flog any pre-registered vehicles with a Jan/Feb registration before the changeover to the next registration period in March. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the age of the car- it is the fact that there is a new registration period starting in March........

The equivalent here iss akin to a 171 car being about 12% cheaper in June than a 172 car in July (the 12% is normally accounted for with a free comfort pack or a higher spec model than you'd otherwise get).

Its all to do with perception- nothing else. You get more bang for your buck at the end of a registration period- because there are a cohort of punters out there who imagine that having a 172 reg means that they have the latest and greatest vehicle- when in actual fact its the selfsame car that was for sale at a lower price a few weeks previous- only now it has a shiny 172 plate on it.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Who are the prefered inspection crowed these days ? Intend on bringing something over within the next four weeks.

A 2009 Corsa SRi turbo has cought my eye but im threading carefully giving the type it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Filling in the NCT Declaration of Registration form, Sect. 10 relates to Eu type approval directives and has a box for M1 class, and non M1. The guide on the back gives 2 directives, are they just looking for me to fill in the Directive number in the box that relates to mine (non M1) ?

Vrt enquiry prices dropped by about 8% on car I’m vrting tomorow since Jan 1st. Still over estimating value so appeal still needed but good that it’s less outlay to begin with anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Vrt enquiry prices dropped by about 8% on car I’m vrting tomorow since Jan 1st. Still over estimating value so appeal still needed but good that it’s less outlay to begin with anyway.

Im quite happy with the drop on the 07 Fiesta ST. 400 quid in the difference between sunday and monday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

Question re VAT;

Looking at importing a vehicle from NI which is over 6 months old, but only has 5,500km on the clock. According to revenue an cars under 6 months and or 6,000km is liable to VAT.

The drive home from NI is about 200km, and I'd often do 100km a day. So just bringing it home and 2 or 3 normal days use would push it over the 6,000km mark.

My question is, when does this 6,000km get checked? Is it what is on the clock when I bring it to the NCT centre? Or what's on the invoice? Or what I declare?

Revenue's website is fairly ambiguous when it comes to VAT so any assistance would be appreciated.

Question re VAT;

Looking at importing a vehicle from NI which is over 6 months old, but only has 5,500km on the clock. According to revenue an cars under 6 months and or 6,000km is liable to VAT.

The drive home from NI is about 200km, and I'd often do 100km a day. So just bringing it home and 2 or 3 normal days use would push it over the 6,000km mark.

My question is, when does this 6,000km get checked? Is it what is on the clock when I bring it to the NCT centre? Or what's on the invoice? Or what I declare?

Revenue's website is fairly ambiguous when it comes to VAT so any assistance would be appreciated.

What's on the clock, but to be doubly safe you would want to be over 6k on the invoice also, or not have a mileage on the invoice.

Got vrt done today, 2year 8 month old car, no charges for extras, charge exactly as per vrt printout I brought. Lower version from website, which has multiple versions. Very quick and very helpful also in advice on the appeal process and gave address attached to vrt receipt for sending in. Plates for 25 seem ok quality. Just come with double sided tape. Paid over 5k with boi visa debit no problem, citizens info site and revenue site says you can't but that's outdated information. They will take whatever your card will allow.

Edit - nice surprise was I got a lowish normal Reg number, didn't realise the 120xxxxx numbers were gone which was great, as they look very squashed in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Got vrt done today, 2year 8 month old car, no charges for extras, charge exactly as per vrt printout I brought. Lower version from website, which has multiple versions. Very quick and very helpful also in advice on the appeal process and gave address attached to vrt receipt for sending in. Plates for 25 seem ok quality. Just come with double sided tape. Paid over 5k with boi visa debit no problem, citizens info site and revenue site says you can't but that's outdated information. They will take whatever your card will allow.

Edit - nice surprise was I got a lowish normal Reg number, didn't realise the 120xxxxx numbers were gone which was great, as they look very squashed in my opinion.

By the 120xxxxx I'd say its a D reg?. Any car from 2011 has the next available number.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Has anyone been able to get around CarGiant's no online deposit policy as listed on their website? I don't like the idea of getting a car inspected and not having it reserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Question re VAT;

It's checked on the day of inspection. The invoice won't effect it unless there was a massive difference. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

Has anyone bought from Motorpoint uk? Looking at some of the reviews they seem to have some problems. Their prices seem too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

I bought a Ford Galaxy from them back in 2009.Car was 18 months old but like a new car.They took a bank draft of me then but dont think they allow that now.Think its a bit more complicated now as u need a uk address to tax car as they wont let it leave the forecourt without being taxed.Their prices are the prices so no haggling but i had no issues with my Ford Galaxy apart from the things u expect to go on a car and still have the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

Hi All,

How are people paying for cars in the UK these days? Debit Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eoghanaldo

Hi All,

I would appreciate some advice where possible?

We've decided to buy in the UK based on prices and spec and after narrowing down from A6 Avant, 5 Series Touring and E-Class 220 Estate, we decided on the E-Class estate - owing to growing family, giant dog and 6ft+ owners.

Anyway, we weren't going to buy for another month or so, until a car popped up at the weekend in the Birmingham area for £33k. It's a E220d AMG premium demo with an absolutely full to the brim spec. It's also coming directly from MB dealer and has 5.8k on the clock. I've spoken at length with the dealer and he finally agreed to £32k and insisted any further negotiation he wouldn't entertain, based on it being 9months old, the level of spec and the mileage. I put down a holding deposit based on me going to see it this weekend.

I've checked the similar spec, age and mileage models in Ireland and one comes up in Cork that is close at €56k and not hitting half of the spec. With VRT and exchange rate (today's), it's coming to about €44k. The car is identical to the one here

Great value or under-priced for some unknown reason? The dealership is in Wolverhampton, which supposedly quieter according to some sources than equivalent main dealers in Brum. I've never bought abroad before and will be traveling on my own, so any advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated and any other advice/feedback/experience very much welcomed. Also, the process for importing and people's experience would be great too! Cheers guys!
    Eoghanaldo is online now Report Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Does the dealership know you will be exporting the car? I've heard stories of MB dealerships in the UK refusing to deal with Irish customers, orders from higher up to protect their Irish branches apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eoghanaldo

EGriff wrote: »
    Does the dealership know you will be exporting the car? I've heard stories of MB dealerships in the UK refusing to deal with Irish customers, orders from higher up to protect their Irish branches apparently.

They do indeed. They've actually been very easy to deal with throughout to be honest. I'd say they haven't got the memo, if that's true!

Eoghanaldo wrote: »
    Hi All,

I would appreciate some advice where possible?

We've decided to buy in the UK based on prices and spec and after narrowing down from A6 Avant, 5 Series Touring and E-Class 220 Estate, we decided on the E-Class estate - owing to growing family, giant dog and 6ft+ owners.

Anyway, we weren't going to buy for another month or so, until a car popped up at the weekend in the Birmingham area for £33k. It's a E220d AMG premium demo with an absolutely full to the brim spec. It's also coming directly from MB dealer and has 5.8k on the clock. I've spoken at length with the dealer and he finally agreed to £32k and insisted any further negotiation he wouldn't entertain, based on it being 9months old, the level of spec and the mileage. I put down a holding deposit based on me going to see it this weekend.

I've checked the similar spec, age and mileage models in Ireland and one comes up in Cork that is close at €56k and not hitting half of the spec. With VRT and exchange rate (today's), it's coming to about €44k. The car is identical to the one here

Great value or under-priced for some unknown reason? The dealership is in Wolverhampton, which supposedly quieter according to some sources than equivalent main dealers in Brum. I've never bought abroad before and will be traveling on my own, so any advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated and any other advice/feedback/experience very much welcomed. Also, the process for importing and people's experience would be great too! Cheers guys!
    Eoghanaldo is online now Report Post

Seems like a good deal, probably overpriced equivalents here, but they all will be so you will never get anything like it here for a similar price.

Watch out for the mileage, it would be classed as new unless it has a couple hundred more on it, costing you the vat too.

No really issues you could have via a main dealer and with so much warranty left. I did similar age from a German main dealer a few years back and it takes the pressure off at that age, brought in an older similar type car to yours last might, it’s relatively painless.

Only real debate for you would be whether to save a pile in deprecation and vrt by bringing in a 3 year old hybrid version.

A 3 year old example would be the old model E Class though.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭ra0044

" Watch out for the mileage, it would be classed as new unless it has a couple hundred more on it, costing you the vat too. "

This is something i hadnt heard of. These threads are a great help.

I am looking at 2 cars ove in the uk. One has only 3200 miles and the other 8000 miles. Both 2017 models. I now assume i would have to add vat to the lower mileage one ?

Thanks

ra0044 wrote: »
    " Watch out for the mileage, it would be classed as new unless it has a couple hundred more on it, costing you the vat too. "

I am looking at 2 cars ove in the uk. One has only 3200 miles and the other 8000 miles. Both 2017 models. I now assume i would have to add vat to the lower mileage one ?

Thanks

Yep, it’s on the landing page for the vrt calculator.

“The calculator does not cover:
    models that have not been presented previously for valuation,
    models that require special research to value, such as motor caravans, classic and collectable vehicles and certain prestige marques,
    large commercial vehicles, agricultural tractors, coaches and other large vehicles as these are generally liable to a fixed VRT charge.
    VAT on new means of transport. For VAT purposes a new means of transport is when a vehicle is less than 6 months old OR has travelled less than 6,000km. Click here for information on when VAT as well as VRT may also be chargeable.”

I’ve seen it listed as 6k miles on some documents for UK cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭ra0044

Yep, it’s on the landing page for the vrt calculator.

“The calculator does not cover:
    models that have not been presented previously for valuation,
    models that require special research to value, such as motor caravans, classic and collectable vehicles and certain prestige marques,
    large commercial vehicles, agricultural tractors, coaches and other large vehicles as these are generally liable to a fixed VRT charge.
    VAT on new means of transport. For VAT purposes a new means of transport is when a vehicle is less than 6 months old OR has travelled less than 6,000km. Click here for information on when VAT as well as VRT may also be chargeable.”

I’ve seen it listed as 6k miles on some documents for UK cars.

Thanks for that. Must have missed it. Certainly pause for thought.

My options thankfully still open.

ra0044 wrote: »

Thanks

The rule is that it needs to be at least 6 months old and have 6000 km or more on the clock otherwise it is liable for VAT here.

You can get around the VAT mileage thing easy enough so long as it isn't too far under the 6000km. My car had 3200 miles on it when I bought it in the UK.

You have 30 days insurance on the UK reg. You have to book the VRT appointment within 7 days of arriving here and have the VRT paid within the 30 days.

Just wait until the 6th or 7th day and then book an appointment for the ~25th/26th day. Allow a bit of buffer at the end for things taking longer than expected.

Then just drive it around a lot. They take the mileage from what's on the clock when you go to the VRT centre, not what's on the invoice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Any opinions on buying private? I'm looking at getting a 2012-14 1.6 turbo petrol Ford Focus. They were not a popular car in Ireland so it will need to be the UK if I'm to get one I'm happy with. There are about 12 for sale on autotrader but the one that caught my eye the most is for sale privately:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712091940070?sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&zero-to-60=TO_8&radius=1500&model=FOCUS&fuel-type=Petrol&year-to=2014&postcode=sa115te&make=FORD&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.6&year-from=2012&page=1

I have a friend in London who might be able to take a look at it for me. If it genuinely is one owner from new then I'm thinking it might be worth the risk? A warranty would be of no use to me anyway. The others for sale are nearly all from portacabin style dealers, something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710110188339?maximum-badge-engine-size=1.6&zero-to-60=TO_8&sort=sponsored&year-from=2012&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2014&make=FORD&model=FOCUS&postcode=sa115te&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&fuel-type=Petrol&page=1

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement