Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

em_cat wrote: »
    Glad to hear Sybil is better, maybe get her some wheat grass as I found that our lot, dog & Guinea Pigs love it.

Our late Shih tzu did that when she was a puppy, except it was a Japonica. It was pretty frightening. I keep the ASPCA’s poisonous plants app on my phone as it’s pretty comprehensive.

It turns out the calla lily isn't deadly, because it makes them violently sick right after they eat it, leaves them pretty sore and miserable though.
    I've always been careful about dangerous plants, had the calla years with other dogs and all our cats, none ever tried to eat it though. It's gone now, not taking any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

mymo wrote: »
    It turns out the calla lily isn't deadly, because it makes them violently sick right after they eat it, leaves them pretty sore and miserable though.
    I've always been careful about dangerous plants, had the calla years with other dogs and all our cats, none ever tried to eat it though. It's gone now, not taking any chances.

For some reason I’ve always thought bulbs to be dangerous for dogs & cats. Mr C seems to know to not chew the leaves but the piggies would give them a nibble if given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Well my cat is only gorgeous! No photos yet as she's been hiding under the darkest corner of the couch since we got home ... I'm not worried as her foster mammy told me that's totally in line with her personality, she's very shy and cautious. I've her food and water and litter tray set up nearby so hopefully she'll venture out at some stage overnight, or maybe when I'm at work tomorrow.

Little dote ate ALL her food and found the litter tray herself with no accidents, all while I was asleep last night. She's back in hiding this morning, but I'm happier now that she knows where the essentials are. She'll have the run of the place now for a few hours while I'm at work, hopefully we'll get to know each other a bit better over the weekend. I'm so in love with her already <3 (even if it's like living with a little ghost cat so far!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Well I officially have a miracle budgie!!! Poor Ivy hasn't been great lately, she's nearly 11, and her preening gland gets blocked so I had her at the vets today and he trimmed her beak and sorted the gland. Went to put her back into her cage and she was just lifeless. Vet didn't say it but I think we were both sure she had died!! It was just awful!! Took a bit of prodding and a good 10 minutes before she came back around. She had gone into shock :( I've honestly never seen anything like it. She honestly looked like she was gone. I know her age is against her but I can't bear to lose her, she's a little pet. Very stressful afternoon altogether!!

• Advertisement

Cat litter for dummies - can someone please explain to me how to do it and where am I going wrong? Today I've to buy my 4th bag, I only got my cat just over a week ago! I'll be broke if I keep going like this!

It's not a huge litter tray, kinda A4 size if that makes sense. I've been filling it approx 5cm (as instructed on the litter bag.)

I think what I'm doing wrong is I'm scooping out all the damp litter after a pee - are you only meant to scoop poos? But sure you don't know if they've pood until you go sifting/digging, and then it seems ick to leave the wet litter and not remove it.

I've also been fully emptying and cleaning the tray every 2-3 days - it doesn't feel like an excessive/unnecessary amount to keep it hygienic, but is it?

She's a young adult cat, very clean etc, can someone please tell me exactly how I should be doing this. :o I'm also very open to recommendations for the best cheap litter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

jellybear wrote: »
    Well I officially have a miracle budgie!!! Poor Ivy hasn't been great lately, she's nearly 11, and her preening gland gets blocked so I had her at the vets today and he trimmed her beak and sorted the gland. Went to put her back into her cage and she was just lifeless. Vet didn't say it but I think we were both sure she had died!! It was just awful!! Took a bit of prodding and a good 10 minutes before she came back around. She had gone into shock :( I've honestly never seen anything like it. She honestly looked like she was gone. I know her age is against her but I can't bear to lose her, she's a little pet. Very stressful afternoon altogether!!

Oh delighted she is doing better. We have a Parrotlet & an Indian Ringneck. Birds are very underated pets. I love them as much as our dogs.

We have 2 Guninea Pigs too. Today I heard Guinea Pig Whistles coming from the Ringneck. I think he has been stealing too much of their food.

Cat litter for dummies - can someone please explain to me how to do it and where am I going wrong? Today I've to buy my 4th bag, I only got my cat just over a week ago! I'll be broke if I keep going like this!

It's not a huge litter tray, kinda A4 size if that makes sense. I've been filling it approx 5cm (as instructed on the litter bag.)

I think what I'm doing wrong is I'm scooping out all the damp litter after a pee - are you only meant to scoop poos? But sure you don't know if they've pood until you go sifting/digging, and then it seems ick to leave the wet litter and not remove it.

I've also been fully emptying and cleaning the tray every 2-3 days - it doesn't feel like an excessive/unnecessary amount to keep it hygienic, but is it?

She's a young adult cat, very clean etc, can someone please tell me exactly how I should be doing this. :o I'm also very open to recommendations for the best cheap litter!

Are you using clumping litter?

Are you using clumping litter?

Yes

Yes

I have no idea how you're going through so much litter so. I take it you're also using the proper slatted scoop that lets the unclumped bits fall back into the tray? How big are the bags?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I go through a 30L bag of this stuff maybe every 6 to 8 weeks with two cats using two trays.
    https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter/clumping_litter/greenwoods/479249

I use a good deep covered tray and fill about 10cm and just remove the poos and pees as they happen. I don't do a full clear out half as often, I'd let it run down quite low maybe once a month and just throw lots of fresh stuff on top and mix it back up. Or else transfer it all to the second tray if I need to wash a tray. I find this litter quite good at clumping so I get a good clean lump when I'm scooping so the stuff I leave behind is clean. I'd rarely do a full dump out and start fresh.

Never had any problems doing it this way. Do you get a good firm lump when your scooping or does it fall apart and mix with clean litter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I fed our Guinea Pigs a whole batch of Listeria possibly contaminated Spinach. No problems so far. It would put you off buying the stuff for human consumption though.

Knine wrote: »
    I fed our Guinea Pigs a whole batch of Listeria possibly contaminated Spinach. No problems so far. It would put you off buying the stuff for human consumption though.

Ohh I nearly did the same, so glad I had a peak at the headlines before their dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think I have mentioned a tom cat I called Stinkertom? No one seemed to know who he belonged to, or they were not telling.. according to one man, he brought him and another cat to this dwelling for the old man who lived here.

Hardly a day went by without hearing him yelling and I could never leave windows open as he would come in and stink the place out..

Realised last night I have hardly heard him for a while, then a small echo of his usual song. Worries me and am leaving food out .

Just took the dog out and came face to face with the tomcat who was sitting so quietly on my garden chair. We looked at each other a while and i talked to him, while assessing him. He looks old and tired. Just resting he was. Totally new behaviour.

Even the dog held back which amazed me.

I went in the house for food for him but he took off.

Nothing I can do except take food out every time i go. And when all my cats are in for the night leave a good dish out. Aching for him. To see him so still and quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Poor old Tom. Sounds like he might be sick, I wonder could you even get a worm tablet into him?

Poor old Tom. Sounds like he might be sick, I wonder could you even get a worm tablet into him?

Not a chance... he has had no hands on contact fr too many years

But I am asking now please if entire tom cats do kind of,,,, run out of steam and hormones when they get older? I have never had an entire male. I am maybe drawing the wrong conclusions? He has stopped calling and stopped all the noise and fuss... Just old age? Hope so as that I can work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Apologies for the bad photo...didn't want to take it out of the wrapper but look what Milo's daddy will be getting as part of his Christmas present :D

Here’s something Mr C’s daddy is getting...

He keeps blaming the piggies bum burps on Mr C :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Anyone at the supervet in the 3 arena?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Yes I was there, were you? I didn't know what to expect beforehand!

Bells21 wrote: »
    Yes I was there, were you? I didn't know what to expect beforehand!

What was it like?

em_cat wrote:
    What was it like?

It was interesting, he went through his early life and what inspired him, the set backs he's had etc. He went into one medicine a bit towards the end. He's an excellent speaker, very engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have to say I don't really watch the TV program. We've been through all of that with Bailey on real life so I get nothing out of seeing it on TV lol! :o

tk123 wrote:
    I have to say I don't really watch the TV program. We've been through all of that with Bailey on real life so I get nothing out of seeing it on TV lol!

Well yea, reliving all of that might not be the best!! You could get a whole show out of it too? Lol!
    Couldn't quite believe how many were at it last night, lots of kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Really enjoyed the John Bradshaw seminar today as well as the inspiring FitPaws demonstration. I also won one of the raffle prizes, absolutely delighted, I never win anything! I guess I have to stop saying that now, lol!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote:
    Really enjoyed the John Bradshaw seminar today as well as the inspiring FitPaws demonstration. I also won one of the raffle prizes, absolutely delighted, I never win anything! I guess I have to stop saying that now, lol!

Is fitpaws where they use the peanut rollers, balance boards etc?

Bells21 wrote: »
    Is fitpaws where they use the peanut rollers, balance boards etc?

Yep! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Haha well If you’re looking for peanuts drop me a PM - I got two for Baileys physio that we never used!

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Haha well If you’re looking for peanuts drop me a PM - I got two for Baileys physio that we never used!

How big are your peanuts?

(Not a sentence I'd imagine typing out in all seriousness!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement