Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not in deer park specifically. But there been people obviously going door to door checking out properties. Often a couple of people working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

Hey Guys

Two stories of interest here.

Firstly my friend works in the Roselawn shopping complex. Last week a woman finished up her shopping and returned to her car. Once she sat in the driver seat another woman approached with a map and started to ask directions to such and such and said she wasint from the meanwhile another person not sure if it was a male or female was emptying the drivers boot and the woman was oblivious while she had the map in her face and only realized what happened afterwards.

Secondly this happened to me yesterday and I've heard about it being done down the country. Pulled into the clonsilla petrol station filled the car up with diesel went in and paid and returned to the car. Once I started it up and started to pull away from the pump I noticed a woman at the left hand side of the car, she stared at me and walked in front of me and came around to my drivers window and tapped on it. Now I only put down the window a fingernail inch and I'll explain in a minute why. When I only put the window down a small bit she acted surprised but proceeded to ask me could I help her. I said with what and what was the problem then she went and told a story. She asked me was I local, I said yeah. Told me she was from the west of the country and was up her with her 3 year old daughter visiting her husband in James Connolly hospital. She said her daughter was around the back of the garage in the car and that they did not have any money to pay for petrol could I possibly give her 20 quid. She told me to give her my phone number and she would pay me back in an hour. I said flat no..funny I've heard this story being preached at a few petrol stations and long and behold there was no phone-call after the hour. So I told her I'd to go see my girlfriend and pulled off. While she was talking to me I had one eye on my rear view/wing mirrors to make sure nobody was opening any doors.

I just want to add I am not against people from the travelling community nor do I want to paint them as bad people. But I have heard on two separate occasions that individuals from the travelling community are running this scam at petrol stations to make a handy €20 quid.

Both women from both stories are blonde and mid 30's in age. The woman I encountered had a black bubble jacket on with jeans. Just thought I'd put this up as she'll be at that petrol station again without a doubt.

My next door neighbors caught a guy in her house thismorning about 6 30AM, he son leaves early for work and left the house about 6 15am. Some guy in his 20s then broke in. She heard the banging and went down stairs and caught the guy. The guy then pretended to be drunk or on drugs and left the house. !!

Roll on 9 30 tonight. A car with 3 guys in it was parked in the estate. Out neighbors are all on alert due to the sheer number of break-ins. One neighbor whilst driving past stopped and asked if she could help them. They got overly aggressive and threatened to rape her if she didnt mind her own business.

She called another neighbor who drove around. He parked beside them and turned on the lights. Then then reversed their car blocking him in and then all 3 got out surrounding him. They took a picture of his license plate and threatened to kill his family. All 3 were banging on his car threatening him. So he called the Garda station. They said they would send a car. He was still stuck and couldn't get out so to feel more secure he called the gardai again and had them on speaker. One of them moved and he managed to get the car free and drove away.
    The guys then made a 20 minute walk to the shop bought beer and returned to the car. The Gardai didnt arrive. He then called me and told me what happened. I then called the Gardai, fuming, i might add as we are really trying to avoid somebody getting hurt here.
    Over 2 hours later and 3 phone calls the Gardai arrived. They warned us that we have no right approaching these guys and we should have called the Gardai. To which we responded we called 3 times and the Gardai fail to arrive for a majority of our calls. He then said it was against the law for us to approach people in public to ask them "what they are doing" If they are ok and he threatened to arrest my neighbor for doing something like that.

Whats worse is, they failed to inspect were the incident happened and after they left the 3 guys were still there sitting in the car. :rolleyes:

You know i may come across as a Gardai hater, but the truth of the matter is i a more disappointed in the Gardai then anything. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

My next door neighbors caught a guy in her house thismorning about 6 30AM, he son leaves early for work and left the house about 6 15am. Some guy in his 20s then broke in. She heard the banging and went down stairs and caught the guy. The guy then pretended to be drunk or on drugs and left the house. !!

Roll on 9 30 tonight. A car with 3 guys in it was parked in the estate. Out neighbors are all on alert due to the sheer number of break-ins. One neighbor whilst driving past stopped and asked if she could help them. They got overly aggressive and threatened to rape her if she didnt mind her own business.

She called another neighbor who drove around. He parked beside them and turned on the lights. Then then reversed their car blocking him in and then all 3 got out surrounding him. They took a picture of his license plate and threatened to kill his family. All 3 were banging on his car threatening him. So he called the Garda station. They said they would send a car. He was still stuck and couldn't get out so to feel more secure he called the gardai again and had them on speaker. One of them moved and he managed to get the car free and drove away.
    The guys then made a 20 minute walk to the shop bought beer and returned to the car. The Gardai didnt arrive. He then called me and told me what happened. I then called the Gardai, fuming, i might add as we are really trying to avoid somebody getting hurt here.
    Over 2 hours later and 3 phone calls the Gardai arrived. They warned us that we have no right approaching these guys and we should have called the Gardai. To which we responded we called 3 times and the Gardai fail to arrive for a majority of our calls. He then said it was against the law for us to approach people in public to ask them "what they are doing" If they are ok and he threatened to arrest my neighbor for doing something like that.

Whats worse is, they failed to inspect were the incident happened and after they left the 3 guys were still there sitting in the car. :rolleyes:

You know i may come across as a Gardai hater, but the truth of the matter is i a more disappointed in the Gardai then anything. :(

Can you tell us specifically what area this happened in to keep people informed about where they are at risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Your friend was an idiot for approaching these guys in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

He then said it was against the law for us to approach people in public to ask them "what they are doing" If they are ok and he threatened to arrest my neighbor for doing something like that.

Total BS info and attitude from the Garda. Report that to Superindentent John Quirke in Blanchardstown.

Next time run 999/112 and 'enhance' the story a bit. Those calls get sent directly to Garda cars in the area, bypassing the mood of the person that answers the phone at the station. If a higher priority incident is happening your call with not take a car from there.

Did the neighbour get the reg plate of the car the 3 guys were in?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi where did this happen?

January wrote: »

Believe me its something that we dont want to do, but the break-ins are constant. We have constant people driving into the estate and sitting in cars. Gardai will not respond to guys sitting in cars. They have told us this.
    I wrote before that 2 guys were walking house to house with golf clubs up their sleeves on a Sunday morning. Gardai were called, and they were not going to respond without probably cause. I had 2 guys knock at my door and when i answered they tried to push into the house. I managed to close the door. The Gardai never arrived. They even came back a second time 30 minutes later.
    I have another thread on After Hours after there was a guy on the ground getting his head kicked in, i called the Gardai and filmed the fight . The Gardai never arrived. My neighbor a single mother had 2 guys enter her house at 4 30 AM. She protected her kids and called the Gardai. They arrived 45 minutes later.
    I had a guy smash down my from door back in May. I called the gardai and told them that i had a weapon and i was going to use it on him. They arrived in 5 minutes.

At this moment in time these guys are able to come into the estate and just sit there, wait for you to leave and then break into your house. There is nothing you can do. We went for the longest period without a break-in since we started approaching these guys and saying that we are watching. We dont want to do it, Believe me. Its not nice.

I dont want to give the exact area, but its in and around the Tyrrelstown, Ongar side of things.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Total BS info and attitude from the Garda. Report that to Superindentent John Quirke in Blanchardstown.

Next time run 999/112 and 'enhance' the story a bit. Those calls get sent directly to Garda cars in the area, bypassing the mood of the person that answers the phone at the station. If a higher priority incident is happening your call with not take a car from there.

Did the neighbour get the reg plate of the car the 3 guys were in?

Dont think John Quirk is still there. I think they have a new guy. We gave them the reg plate but they said they cant really do anything with the reg plate as these guys usually buy the car from the scrap dealer and its not registered. Dont know how true that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Pretty unhelpful post there. Would expect more from a mod to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

CAN - SOMEONE - PLEASE - TELL - US - WHERE - THIS - TOOK - PLACE, FOR - THE LOVE - OF - GOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I dont want to give the exact area, but its in and around the Tyrrelstown, Ongar side of things.

??????

Correct me if I'm wrong but imo tyrrelstown is nowhere near ongar

amdublin wrote: »
    ??????

Correct me if I'm wrong but imo tyrrelstown is nowhere near ongar

I have an agreement with the residents that i wouldn't post on a public forum were this is due to some people selling the house and they fear it will lower the price. I was giving a rough idea what side of Dublin 15 this took place. I would like to give the exact specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So you have an agreement with the residents not to name where it happened, but are happy to throw out the names of other places where it may or may not have happened and associate those places with the incident, rightly or wrongly ?!?

Is it in Mulhuddart?

Also, Archiphel, I'm not a mod of this forum, therefore I'm a normal poster here just like you. It might be an unhelpful post but it's the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please just report posts you feel breach the charter, don't get into a discussion of it on thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must say I just dont believe the content of Dre's posts. Theyre starting to become farcical.

I have friends in both Tyrrellstown and Ongar, and while there are some petty crime issues, this 8 mile stuff is not credible.

You do indeed come across as a Garda hater, and im wondering if you have cried wolf a little too often at this stage. I have needed the services of the Guards twice for car related crime in the last 3 years and on both occasions they were prompt and courteous, and im not far from Ongar myself.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I must say I just dont believe the content of Dre's posts. Theyre starting to become farcical.

I have friends in both Tyrrellstown and Ongar, and while there are some petty crime issues, this 8 mile stuff is not credible.

You do indeed come across as a Garda hater, and im wondering if you have cried wolf a little too often at this stage. I have needed the services of the Guards twice for car related crime in the last 3 years and on both occasions they were prompt and courteous, and im not far from Ongar myself.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't know anything about the stories above. But can't say I've been un-impressed with the Garda response times in the general area for years. Always get the "not enough resources".

However they seem to have stepped up their presence. I'm seeing at lot more cars on patrol. Which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Is it in Mulhuddart?

Also, Archiphel, I'm not a mod of this forum, therefore I'm a normal poster here just like you. It might be an unhelpful post but it's the truth.

I'm pretty sure this is Saddlers estate in Mulhuddart.

Anyway - this is information that Dre put online when he was moving to new place.

I can't believe that on such a small estate so many bad things are happening. Looking at his posts - Every single house there must have been broken in at least twice.

Dre knows so many stories that I start to believe it is his fantasy and dreams.
    Look at the history of this thread - every second bad behavior in D 15 is reported by him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

We are actually holding off on the papers story, there are papers who want to do stories about what is going on in Dublin 15 as well as a documentary crew. We are trying to talk with the police, but the initial conversation with them was about how much more we can do. Not about how little they are doing !! We want to work with the garda but we are just not getting anywhere.

Holding the papers and a documentary crew at bay probably while negotiating the movie rights.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Dont think John Quirk is still there. I think they have a new guy.
    The web site must not be updated:
    garda.ie wrote:
    Blanchardstown Garda Station,
    Main Street,
    Blanchardstown,
    Dublin 15.

+353 1666 7000

District HQ: Blanchardstown
    District HQ Tel: +353 1 666 7082
    District Officer: Superintendent John Quirke

District Detective Superintendent Walter O'Sullivan

Divisional HQ : Blanchardstown
    Divisional HQ Tel: +353 1 666 7000
    Divisional Officer: Chief Superintendent Declan Coburn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Everyone has the right to question/verify what they read on here, but I'd like to remind everyone that personal attacks on any poster wont be tolerated.

daymobrew wrote: »
    The web site must not be updated:

I have been speaking to some politicians regards to it and one of them told me that a new guy recently took over, i am waiting to hear back on Thursday regards to it.

Larbre34 wrote: »

The situation is becoming farcical and to tell the truth if i were on the outside looking in, i would see it as an exaggeration or pure lies. But unfortunately this is happening, it seems to be happening all over Dublin at the moment. One of my neighbors moved in 6 months ago. She has been broken into twice. Second time was on Saturday. That was our first breakin since July. After we started up a neighborhood text alert using a program called Telegram.

I will give you an example of another area next to dublin 15 that has started to have problems .... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabra-Neighbourhood-Watch/734236253258055

This is next to Dublin 15 and there is a huge rise in break-ins with very similar circumstances. Based on the number of reports. I know this as i have family there too.

I have been speaking with members of the security forum some of which have actually come out and met with residents to give Advice. (Thankyou Altor and Stoner for that)

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the stories above. But can't say I've been un-impressed with the Garda response times in the general area for years. Always get the "not enough resources".

However they seem to have stepped up their presence. I'm seeing at lot more cars on patrol. Which is good.

"not enough resources" line was used, 2 of the Gardai in fairness were nice and told us that they constantly have to apologize to people, simply because they just to call out to call out to call out. They have actually pushed for us to complain also as they a likened it to plumbers doing call outs to houses and not fixing any leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭altor

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    I can't believe that on such a small estate so many bad things are happening. Looking at his posts - Every single house there must have been broken in at least twice.

From being out in the estate and seeing this at first hand I would say most of the houses have being done twice if not more. These thugs just don't care, they knock on your door, if you don't answer they kick it in. If you are there they just abuse you. Not something most people would be able to stand up to. The Guards wont man an estate 24 hours. They do rely on residents to police the estate.

Some good news tonight. Blanchardstown Garda getting 17 new cars and some new Garda from temple more.

Some good news tonight. Blanchardstown Garda getting 17 new cars and some new Garda from temple more.

Linky? That would seem a massive increase if true. In the past they often only had 2 or 3 cars on at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

From the above linked article...
    They will not just be responding to calls and patrolling Dublin 15 however, as the Blanch station is responsible for the entire K-District which also encompasses Ballyfermot, Cabra and Finglas.

Well that explains the response times from Blanch Garda Station.

From the above linked article...

Well that explains the response times from Blanch Garda Station.

The ballyfermot link is a mistake according to David McGuinness on fb as I questioned it.

We do take over from cabra when it's closed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

17 new cars are no use when there are about 12 cops to drive them on a Friday night.

The first new recruits in Templemore are only 10 weeks in, itll be a long time before they are of use to any station..

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

My neighbour was broken into last Saturday, Annfield area. They moved out about a month ago so there was nothing to take but they trashed the place.

They used an MPV, pulled it into the carport, the other neighbour saw them and assumed they were the new occupants. This happened about 6pm.

Two unmarked guards arrived last night, quite quickly to take details. IMO they arrived quickly because of the area. I know my folks cars were broken into numerous times in Clonsilla and it took them hours to arrive.

alibaba12 wrote: »
    My neighbour was broken into last Saturday, Annfield area. They moved out about a month ago so there was nothing to take but they trashed the place.

They used an MPV, pulled it into the carport, the other neighbour saw them and assumed they were the new occupants. This happened about 6pm.

Two unmarked guards arrived last night, quite quickly to take details. IMO they arrived quickly because of the area. I know my folks cars were broken into numerous times in Clonsilla and it took them hours to arrive.

It's obvious from these repeated break ins that the people responsible are not just chancing their arm, but are watching carefully and choosing specifically. Be vigilant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MPV I'll have to watch out for that. I've noticed a lot more strangers and strange cars including MPV's wandering around in general. Not doing anything specific which makes them stand out like a sore thumb. I wonder are they picking busy times so they don't stand out in the hubbub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

Told me she was from the west of the country and was up her with her 3 year old daughter visiting her husband in James Connolly hospital. She said her daughter was around the back of the garage in the car and that they did not have any money to pay for petrol could I possibly give her 20 quid. She told me to give her my phone number and she would pay me back in an hour.

I had the same thing and same story happen to me at Roselawn SC about 2 months ago. From Castlebar, visiting hospital, no money for petrol to get home, 3 year old in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

These areas are miles apart. If you are not going to say the area then don't associate it with other areas which don't have anything like that level of problem.

AlanG wrote: »
    These areas are miles apart. If you are not going to say the area then don't associate it with other areas which don't have anything like that level of problem.

Well that was one instance of anti social behavior that was not experienced before. The point of the post was the reaction from the Gardai of Dublin 15. Where it happened is of no consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well that was one instance of anti social behavior that was not experienced before. The point of the post was the reaction from the Gardai of Dublin 15. Where it happened is of no consequence.

If it's in a Neighbourhood Watch thread surely the location is the only thing of consequence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The situation is becoming farcical and to tell the truth if i were on the outside looking in, i would see it as an exaggeration or pure lies. But unfortunately this is happening, it seems to be happening all over Dublin at the moment. One of my neighbors moved in 6 months ago. She has been broken into twice. Second time was on Saturday. That was our first breakin since July. After we started up a neighborhood text alert using a program called Telegram.

I will give you an example of another area next to dublin 15 that has started to have problems .... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabra-Neighbourhood-Watch/734236253258055

This is next to Dublin 15 and there is a huge rise in break-ins with very similar circumstances. Based on the number of reports. I know this as i have family there too.

I have been speaking with members of the security forum some of which have actually come out and met with residents to give Advice. (Thankyou Altor and Stoner for that)

Next to D15? So not actually in D15 at all then? :confused:

As a poster mentioned earlier, watch out for the scam artists around the D15 petrol stations/local shops. Last weekend I encountered a couple at the Topaz in Coolmine, guy said he was from Rathdrum and needed cash to buy petrol to get home to Wicklow. They were driving a dark blueish Ford Fiesta, old shape. His accent didn't match up so I said no.
    5min later I drove down to Spar on the Clonsilla road to pick up something, the female of the couple approached my car and asked me for some money for petrol, only this time they wanted to get to Mayo. She was blondish, medium build, wore a big overcoat, country accent. Both the male and the female asked me if I was a 'local'.

If it's in a Neighbourhood Watch thread surely the location is the only thing of consequence?

Well i have submitted to this thread due to the fact that there were alot of things happening in Dublin 15 and no communication between residents. Outside of boards.ie i have i have been pro-active in the Dublin 15 regards to meeting with TD's the media other residents of Dublin 15 to discuss whats going on. Simply because knowledge is power and getting the word out, informing people about what is going on and what to look out for, basically what the Neighborhood Watch thread is all about. But instead i received abuse from keyboard warriors who dont even contribute anything to this particular forum ! ! So where ever you are in Dublin 15 be safe and i wish you a merry Christmas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

why bother posting a story like that and not give the location. Dublin 15 is a huge area. all it does is worry people.

But instead i received abuse from keyboard warriors who dont even contribute anything to this particular forum ! !

Maybe because you're associating areas with incidences which are nowhere near where the incident occurred. If you're so confident that you're doing good, well name the places these things happen in instead of worrying that you'll upset your neighbour over their house price. You've no problem tarnishing other areas.

I dunno why your attacking the messenger here.

I've never heard so many burglary stories, and they are from all over D.15, Dublin and nationwide.

• Advertisement

Because he named everywhere but where it happened.

How is that a problem. If your area is being targeted you'd hear about it from your neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

beauf wrote: »
    How is that a problem. If your area is being targeted you'd hear about it from your neighbours.

If the point of the thread is to warn people then surely the logical thing is to name the area. Others do. I live in a big estate, I don't know all my neighbours. Things can happen here and I would never know.

I don't think its for vilifying specific estates anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

just to give people the heads up that there's an emerging gang of little scumbags on the road between the hospital and Snugborough road there.

Often teenagers hanging around there never any problems. However tonight my friend was walking along and a gang of them nearby. They came by her and one grabbed her bag. She said he had definitely done it before. She gave chase and the little cowardly scumbag dropped it. She called the guards who said they were aware and would send somebody up. But didn't take her number or arrange further contact. She has told me they were no older than 15.

Just giving people the heads up because many many women return home from work along that road in the evening or in this case are going for a night out and it might be a right little nesting ground for them to do this with the park close by.
    Hopefully a stop is put to it soon. I'm genuinely worried for her having to go that road always.

• Advertisement
Advertisement