Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attack on female Garda in Dublin

Options
  • 20-06-2009 5:55pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Pretty shoocked by this especially the fact that no one intervened.
    A good female friend of mine is a member, she's about 5'2 and is generally by herself and tbh i do worriy about her.

TBH I would have no qualms about intervening to help a Gardai, not that i'm a have a go hero or naything.

Pretty shocking altogether, hope she's ok.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/savage-attack-on-woman-garda-1782039.html
    A FEMALE garda suffered a savage attack on a busy Dublin street as people recorded the incident on their mobile phones.
    The officer was bitten in the face and attacked with a bottle in the horrific incident which happened in broad daylight on Aston Quay.
    However, despite the large crowds of passers-by, no one came to the aid of the young woman and some even began recording the ongoing attack on their phones.
    Three youths, including one 17-year-old girl, have been arrested after the incident. The woman was left her with facial injuries and bruises to the body in the incident which saw her beaten all over and her eyes gouged.
    A 17-year-old girl was arrested and was questioned by gardai. She was later released without charge. Two further youths, aged 18 and 20, were arrested and charged with public order offences.
    Gardai who rushed to their colleague’s aid had to stop one bystander filming the injured garda on his mobile phone. The garda was on patrol alone at the time of the frenzied assault on Thursday evening.
    The garda, who is in her 20s, is based at Pearse Street Station.
    DRINKING
    She had spoken to a gang of youths about drinking in public when the attack happened. And as the attack was taking place, one of the gang of youths she had confronted told bystanders: “It serves her right, she’s a pig.”
    The officer is now recovering at home after being taken to hospital for treatment. Michael O’Boyce of the Garda Representative Association hit out at the lack of assistance from the public.
    “Not only did members of the public not come to her assistance, but they stood by and captured it on their mobile phones,” he added.
    Anthony Comiskey, a witness who came on the scene at Aston Quay just after the attack at around 8pm, said he was shocked by what he saw. Mr Comiskey, a credit controller, told the Herald: “She was sitting on the footpath being tended to by some colleagues.
    She looked a bit stunned. Someone who saw what happened said she had been attacked with a bottle or a glass. She was on her own and nobody stepped in to help her. A guy in a grey tracksuit at the scene actually said to a few people: ‘It serves her right, she’s a pig.’”
    “I just shook my head and said, ‘you’re wrong’.” “He was part of a small gang at the scene. I was told there were a few girls and some fellas drinking and the garda went up to them and told them it wasn’t allowed.
    AMBULANCE
    “The girl involved was being put into a garda van and an ambulance arrived.” Gardai investigating the attack said it was “not unusual” for female officers to patrol busy areas alone at that time.
    “Gardai have arrested a female aged 17 as a result of a serious assault on a female garda member which occurred at Merchant’s Arch,” a spokesman said.
    He said the officer had suffered “serious enough” injuries, but was discharged from hospital that night and was now convalescing at home. Her injuries included a bloody nose, sprained fingers and bruising to her body.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

And scumbags like this one that attacked the Gardaí wonder why they are being bothered ?
    I think it answers itself when you attack a Garda.

low-life scum, lock them all up.

Really boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

DubMedic wrote: »
    And scumbags like this one that attacked the Gardaí wonder why they are being bothered ?
    I think it answers itself when you attack a Garda.

low-life scum, lock them all up.

Really boils my blood.

+1

My best wishes to the members recovery. Hope the youths get some long time inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

there needs to be a zero tolerance approach for **** sake, garda needed to be proper machines, seriously most garda aren't good enough to be out there, there should be police everywhere.

there is simply too much people in ireland that should not have the capability to be free, they need to be restriced. huge numbers of gardai should man the worst areas of dublin, take the scum out with little or no sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

So terrible :( best wishes to her and her family,wishing her speedy recovery,

Those kind of people are just sick:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It's shocking. People recording it???

However, in this country where the law is an ass, if I went to help the Garda by kicking the **** out of the offenders, I would also be risking arrest and/or civil action.

The law strangles what's left of the good in people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dolby

there needs to be a zero tolerance approach for **** sake, garda needed to be proper machines, seriously most garda aren't good enough to be out there, there should be police everywhere.

there is simply too much people in ireland that should not have the capability to be free, they need to be restriced. huge numbers of gardai should man the worst areas of dublin, take the scum out with little or no sympathy.

I dont agree, Gardai have to work within the law, if Gardai step out of line in any way they get the ombudsman on there backs!! and even if they work within the law the country's judicial system is a joke and will give a stupid suspended sentence to scum who will still carry out serious crimes against the average joe when they are on the streets!! oh I wonder how much crime is caused by people on bail?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If the Gardai dont get the support from the public in incidents like this then then it doesn't encourge confidence in themselfs or for that matter , the public .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Sleipnir wrote: »
    It's shocking. People recording it???

However, in this country where the law is an ass, if I went to help the Garda by kicking the **** out of the offenders, I would also be risking arrest and/or civil action.

The law strangles what's left of the good in people.
    No you wouldn't have to kick the **** out of them all that was needed was for a few people to restrain them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

This is terrible but scumbags dont give afcuk.

Does anyone think that a 5 foot 2 woman might be incapable of protecting herself?

i dont want to sound old fashioned but thats a small woman and no matter how trained she was could possible be easily overpowered.

Also should police not be in pairs in case an incident like this a rises you need your partner to have your back.

Would these animals have been so quick to attacka big man of course not a small woman police officer or not was seen as an easy target.

And the people who did not intervene are a disgrace but many people are afraid of there lives of conflict.

I see women in the police and they look tiny i know theres more to it than being a big lump but asome physical strength is surely beneficial.

I wish this woman a quick recovery and worry what would happen if it was late at night and not many witnesses about could be a real tragedy in the making officers should be paired at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I just can't believe that people stood their filming the incident on their phones and didn't do anything to help her. What's wrong with people :confused:

Jen ;->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Say you walked up and helped the garda (from a guys perspective), in a fight with 2 guys you would have to use excessive force to stop them. How would you then deal with the girl? Especially if she started to attack you? could you tackle her to the ground? Surely if you restrained her, the other 2 guys would get back up and then attack you?

Say you did manage to subdue the 2 males, and the female... and you hurt them in the process...surely you are leaving yourself open to an assault charge or a civil case at best?

Its true what they say really, the law is setup to protect criminals. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

cronin_j wrote: »
    Say you walked up and helped the garda (from a guys perspective), in a fight with 2 guys you would have to use excessive force to stop them. How would you then deal with the girl? Especially if she started to attack you? could you tackle her to the ground? Surely if you restrained her, the other 2 guys would get back up and then attack you?

Say you did manage to subdue the 2 males, and the female... and you hurt them in the process...surely you are leaving yourself open to an assault charge or a civil case at best?

Check out link below.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0019.html

If you are helping a Garda, and you are attacked or assaulted. It is the same a the person attacking a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dolby

Its pure narrow minded Ireland! If a girl was getting her fu@king head kicked in she needs help!! Fu@k do people really think first "oh wait I might get in trouble,so I wont help" OMG!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Well you do here horror stories of have a go heoes getting hurt bad or killed sometimes so i can understand some people being afraid.

Society i see it most days are afraid of conflict someone smokes on the bus they say nothing
    people litter etc people are afraid to say bin it
    and if anyone woman or man came at me with a bottle id smash them thats a deadly weapon
    but if u did hurt one of em bad im sure a judge would see ya were doing a good job and youd be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The street was full at the time there was plenty of people around to restrain them.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Check out link below.

If you are helping a Garda, and you are attacked or assaulted. It is the same a the person attacking a Garda.

Interesting to say the least.

One more question based on this, does this indemnify you from a criminal or civil action against you? It would appear it wouldnt, from reading that link it seems it wouldnt...

A question a garda might answer: Would the station that deals with this help the member of the public that helped your colleague in anyway in court etc if an action was taken against them? Lets face it Gardai do have a lot of influence within a court room..

Check out link below.

So....if I help an ordinary citizen being attacked and I go to help, I'm not afforded the same protection as if I was helping a Garda being attacked?

Help an ordinary citizen - not protected.
    Help a garda - protected.

That's wrong!

Sleipnir wrote: »
    So....if I help an ordinary citizen being attacked and I go to help, I'm not afforded the same protection as if I was helping a Garda being attacked?

Help an ordinary citizen - not protected.
    Help a garda - protected.

That's wrong!

It wouldnt appear they are "protected" only that the penalties are worse for attacking a Garda than a civilian?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

just help, **** the consequences

Omeceron wrote: »
    just help, **** the consequences

Well I would anyway because I actually do see red. Only ever happened twice in my life but once it starts.....
    I'm not The Citizen though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Yes but no matter what happens it will end up in a courtroom in front of a judge.

Judges hate scum bags as much as Joe pubic do.

As long as you dont do anything excessive and can account for your actions i wouldnt worry..

Yes but no matter what happens it will end up in a courtroom in front of a judge.

Judges hate scum bags as much as Joe pubic do.

As long as you dont do anything excessive and can account for your actions i wouldnt worry..

So fecking them into the Liffey.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

id prefer to be in court for helping than to feel the guilt for not helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Con.

Bad enough standing there watching it and doing absolute nothing about it. But recording it? Lowlives! :mad:

Omeceron wrote: »
    id prefer to be in court for helping than to feel the guilt for not helping.

I concur... But not only because she was a garda, but any female that would be in trouble.

Id like to think if my two sisters or my mother were attacked someone would help them. And im pretty sure anybody here would feel the same. Its simply disgusting that they recorded that on their phones and didnt help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I concur... But not only because she was a garda, but any female that would be in trouble.

Id like to think if my two sisters or my mother were attacked someone would help them. And im pretty sure anybody here would feel the same. Its simply disgusting that they recorded that on their phones and didnt help.

Its an everyday occurrence.
    These attacks rarely make the news. Unless it is to say how Garda Compensation is bleeding the state dry of course.:mad:

The Gardai have lost the support of the public, from a practical point of view. By Ms Staines reasoning, is it then time to routinely arm all gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

First off, it was an horrendous attack on a member of AGS, irrespective of the member being a female. The fact is, it was done and done apparently by youths.

The lack of public intervention is a sign of todays generation. Whether it is fear or not, I don't know.

I know if I came across this I would intervene, others may not. Some call it self preservation and would rubberneck.

This, and more, is what the Gardai have to deal with on a regular occurance.

How many Gardai have attended a domestic when the female has been subjected to a beating from a violent partner & when the partner is arrested the complainant (female) then attacks the Garda?

I would, from experience, say a lot.

Yes, this comes with the package when one joins up, but it dosent help with the lack of support from Government level regarding eqiupment & training.

I look at the time I spent in the Met and then I look at how the Gardai are treated here and I can quite safely say, I was pampered in the Met.

I wish this officer a speedy recovery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Absolutely appalling. I am disgusted that, not only that a young Garda was attacked so bad but that the bystanders did **** all and just recorded it. All it took was two or three of those people to go in and pull the poor girl out.

It should be a criminal offense not to assist a Garda or member of the public who is in danger. This whole event just turns my stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

'''She looked a bit stunned. Someone who saw what happened said she had been attacked with a bottle or a glass. She was on her own and nobody stepped in to help her. A guy in a grey tracksuit at the scene actually said to a few people: ‘It serves her right, she’s a pig.’”

absoulutly disgusting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement