Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Clonmel support Community Radio?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I kinda stole the thread title from another area of boards,but the thread starter posts here,so am hoping its alright.So what do you think of the idea of a community radio for Clonmel.Is it wanted/needed? Would it get support from organisations that may feel that the licenced station for the county is not really catering for the community,except for maybe,a few weekend hours?This is not a swipe at any one,and I am not starting the thread for that intention.Maybe the people that may be interested in such a station,may not frequent boards.If not,what is the better way to guage interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Do you mean as a rival for Tipp Fm with a sole focus on Clonmel? I think the age group that frequent boards are probably not your target market to be honest.

What's the population of Clonmel and its surrounding areas that the broadcast would reach? Let's say 25,000 people. Seems like too small a base for a station.

In terms of gauging interest, maybe speak to local community groups, retirement homes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

DT100 wrote: »
    I kinda stole the thread title from another area of boards,but the thread starter posts here,so am hoping its alright.So what do you think of the idea of a community radio for Clonmel.Is it wanted/needed? Would it get support from organisations that may feel that the licenced station for the county is not really catering for the community,except for maybe,a few weekend hours?This is not a swipe at any one,and I am not starting the thread for that intention.Maybe the people that may be interested in such a station,may not frequent boards.If not,what is the better way to guage interest?
    isn't there one in the hospital? Does that not broadcast to the community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

LoveCoke wrote: »
    isn't there one in the hospital? Does that not broadcast to the community?
    Meathlass wrote: »
    Do you mean as a rival for Tipp Fm with a sole focus on Clonmel? I think the age group that frequent boards are probably not your target market to be honest.

What's the population of Clonmel and its surrounding areas that the broadcast would reach? Let's say 25,000 people. Seems like too small a base for a station.

In terms of gauging interest, maybe speak to local community groups, retirement homes etc.

A Community Radio would be an alternative to Tipp FM,and wouldnt be a profit making station.If you had 25,000 listeners,it would be very goos for a community station,but would be less than that I would think.To answer LoveCoke....A hospital radio licence is an Institutional licence,and although the Hospital Radio in Clonmelcan be heard in surrounding areas,its meant only for the hospital campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Together Clonmel and Carrick on Suir would support a community radio. Strictly on a non profit basis. See Wikipedia for a good definition. Local Community Councils would have to be involved to make it work.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

A Community Radio would be an alternative to Tipp FM,and wouldnt be a profit making station.If you had 25,000 listeners,it would be very goos for a community station,but would be less than that I would think.To answer LoveCoke....A hospital radio licence is an Institutional licence,and although the Hospital Radio in Clonmelcan be heard in surrounding areas,its meant only for the hospital campus.
    Is TippFM making a profit?

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    Together Clonmel and Carrick on Suir would support a community radio. Strictly on a non profit basis. .
    how can you know this? Are you involved in some group

Is TippFM making a profit?

What I meant in my post was that Tipp FM is a commercial radio station,making money from adverts.A community station can only make 50% of the cost of running the station from advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

how can you know this? Are you involved in some group

If we replace the original word "support" used by the OP and replace it with the word "sustain" this would be a more accurate statement of my view. I think it will happen in our area when enough people really want it.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

What I meant in my post was that Tipp FM is a commercial radio station,making money from adverts.A community station can only make 50% of the cost of running the station from advertising.
    OK I see

Xenophile wrote: »
    If we replace the original word "support" used by the OP and replace it with the word "sustain" this would be a more accurate statement of my view. I think it will happen in our area when enough people really want it.
    Ok understand now.

• Advertisement

Theres a lot of work and commitment involved in starting a Community Radio station.To even get a one year licence is difficult,to progress beyond that takes proof that the one year licence was sustainable.The way some community stations start now,is via the Internet,but its not as easy as turning on a radio,and the listener you hope to gain,may not be using the media, you are using, to launch a service,which will be mainly aimed at them.While online broadcasting is a much cheaper way to broadcast,many forget,that music royalties still have to be paid,if you want to keep things legal.Community radio has to come from a desire within the community,that what is available to them is not suiting their needs,and of course people that have the vision to do something about that desire/need...without that,you have nothing.
    PL

Theres a lot of work and commitment involved in starting a Community Radio station.To even get a one year licence is difficult,to progress beyond that takes proof that the one year licence was sustainable.The way some community stations start now,is via the Internet,but its not as easy as turning on a radio,and the listener you hope to gain,may not be using the media, you are using, to launch a service,which will be mainly aimed at them.While online broadcasting is a much cheaper way to broadcast,many forget,that music royalties still have to be paid,if you want to keep things legal.Community radio has to come from a desire within the community,that what is available to them is not suiting their needs,and of course people that have the vision to do something about that desire/need...without that,you have nothing.
    PL
    have you experience in this

have you experience in this

Yes LoveCoke,I would have some:D

Yes LoveCoke,I would have some:D
    what exp have you? Are you going to start up a community station or be part of it?

what exp have you? Are you going to start up a community station or be part of it?

I was just adding to the posts already on the thread JustCoke.You seem to have a great interest in radio,is it something you would like to do? I dont think Clonmel will have a community station in the near future,but I may be wrong.What are your thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

If a highly skilled, multi-talented genius and national inspiration like Georgie couldnt make a Clonmel Radio Station work what chance do mere plebs. Oh wait.......

touts wrote: »
    If a highly skilled, multi-talented genius and national inspiration like Georgie couldnt make a Clonmel Radio Station work what chance do mere plebs. Oh wait.......

When I started the thread,I said I didnt want it to end up as a"Taking a swipe at anyone " thread..From what I know George didnt ever run a radio station in Clonmel,he just did a weekend show on one of the pirates that was on in the 80's.I think myself that if the right people could get together,a community station would work in Clonmel.When I listen to Tipp fm,I get a feeling that they have more listeners in the north of the county.When I go into shops in Clonmel,Its rare I hear Tipp FM on the radio.I dont know anything about the running or the setting up of a station,but lots of other towns have them,so why not Clonmel?

When I started the thread,I said I didnt want it to end up as a"Taking a swipe at anyone " thread..From what I know George didnt ever run a radio station in Clonmel,he just did a weekend show on one of the pirates that was on in the 80's.I think myself that if the right people could get together,a community station would work in Clonmel.When I listen to Tipp fm,I get a feeling that they have more listeners in the north of the county.When I go into shops in Clonmel,Its rare I hear Tipp FM on the radio.I dont know anything about the running or the setting up of a station,but lots of other towns have them,so why not Clonmel?
    some of the people on the dole who never worked but drive big cars might help out

some of the people on the dole who never worked but drive big cars might help out

You seemed interested and making reasonable posts until this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Aaron Burchael who used to do the Breakfast show on Tipp FM has started his own radio station. It's only available on the net, but it's not for profit and there's no ads. He's great for all the local news and sports results (including the car racing at Rosegreen). As he's on his own, there are times of the day when the music is played by the computer, but it might be what you're looking for OP.

Tune in on www.RealGoodRadio.org

• Advertisement

You seemed interested and making reasonable posts until this one.
    if you knew what i do it is a reasonable post. there are things that people know that cannot be written. sorry did not mean to derail your thread. it is a good idea.

Frowzy wrote: »
    Aaron Burchael who used to do the Breakfast show on Tipp FM has started his own radio station. It's only available on the net, but it's not for profit and there's no ads. He's great for all the local news and sports results (including the car racing at Rosegreen). As he's on his own, there are times of the day when the music is played by the computer, but it might be what you're looking for OP.

Tune in on www.RealGoodRadio.org
    the only community he is intersted in is himself. way too self absorbed. apparently thought he was too good for tipp fm. his show was ego driven and silly and fitted tipp fm to a t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

From The Nenagh Guardian might be of interest to the OP
    Stella FM to hold public meeting
    Stella FM, your local community radio, is to hold a public meeting on May 9th at 7.30 in McKenna’s “The Yanks”, Main Street, Borrisokane. CRAOL (the forum for community radio in Ireland) and the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) will attend on the night and will give a brief talk on the advantages of having a community radio in your area. They will also give information on how a community radio station is run, who can get involved and what types of programmes can be made.
    Athlone Community Radio, who recently facilitated a training programme in the Borrisokane area, will also be there on the night to present training certificates to 20 volunteers who have recently completed a radio training programme which was supported by North Tipperary Leader. NTLP are also expected to attend to give information on the type of supports which they can give to existing and developing community groups.
    A large crowd is expected on the night as this will be both an informative and an entertaining evening. The meeting is open to everybody. Stella FM’s open door policy ensures that anybody who wishes to find out more about community radio will be made to feel very welcome. It is a not-for-profit organisation and the station will be owned and run by volunteers like “you”. So if you have an hour to spare and you are interested in radio or community development or maybe you might like to develop a very attractive skill set such as communications, audio editing, fundraising, marketing, administration, volunteer recruitment, programme production, presenting etc., why not come to this meeting. It is open to everybody from the young to the not so young. You will all be very welcome. We would love to hear what your ideas are for the radio. Hope you can make it.
    Contact us: stellafm@eircom.net   or like and share us on facebook: Stella FM

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Would be interesting to see actually how many people in Clonmel actually listen to Tipp Fm.....ie would the town support a community radio station? Friend of mine is involved in a similar project in Claremorris and that is doing very well(big station up there is Midwest Radio)

Actually had 2 hours today of Tipp FM whilst doing reports and nearly lost the will to live ha

Brgds
    Johnny

Do staff get paid on community radio or is it voluntary?

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see actually how many people in Clonmel actually listen to Tipp Fm.....ie would the town support a community radio station? Friend of mine is involved in a similar project in Claremorris and that is doing very well(big station up there is Midwest Radio)

Actually had 2 hours today of Tipp FM whilst doing reports and nearly lost the will to live ha

Brgds
    Johnny
    How will you find out. Tipp FM like to pretend everyone does

http://craol.ie/1/0/home.html

Thats an interesting site for anyone thinking of setting up,or being part of a Community Radio station.

Looking at the site and forums,it seems a while since anyone posted,but they have current information and news on their Twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Cheers for the link DT100 - some interesting things on the site

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Youghal has a Community Radio Station and it works, and it has a smaller are number wise to Clonmel, so there is no reason why it cant work. I tune into the Youghal station at times. Some of the presenters are good, but some are awful, and some of the music they play is awful. They cover a wide area. They can be clearly heard as far East as Dungarvan and as almost to Cork in an west direction. However, in parts of West Waterford like Kilbrien, parts of Ballinamult, Ballymacarbry, Melleray etc that are high above sea level they too can pick up the station.

If one was set up for Clonmel and was to be clearly heard from say Clonmel to Carrick, maybe beyond it, to Callan and Cashel, in a north direction, to Clogheen and Ballypooreen in an west direction and to the outskirts, even into Dungarvan, then it could have a massive listership figure.

Could it rival Tipp FM. At times is it very hard to do this. Add in there is many people in the area that stations like Beat 102-103 or Spin does not appeal to, WLR cannot be picked up in parts of Waterford (on the road from Clonmel to Ballymacarbry) let alone in Co Tipperary.

A community station for Clonmel and its hinterland would work, I have no doubt about it.

• Advertisement

Maybe the people that may be interested in such a station,may not frequent boards.If not,what is the better way to guage interest?
    I would say a lot of people who would be interested in comm radio do not frequent boards or any internet site. a lot would be slightly older and not computer lierate. Even a lot of those computer literate may not. If you wanted to reach everyone in Tipp would you start a blog?
    Ths thread has ahd just over a thousand views. Compare that with the amount of people who read local papers

To guage interest you would need to have it in the local papers as most people who would be into comm radio tend to read the papers

Advertisement