Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I saw they started the columns that will support the bridge beams on the Ballincollig side of the Bandon Rd. roundabout. There is a big foundation and large circular steel rebar sticking out of the ground.

Didn't get a chance to take a pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Construction is starting to get very interesting now. They've starting building the ramp that will carry the N25 over the current roundabout and some of the concrete flyover cells have already been erected. Latest update attached.

I'd imagine that a small chunk of the sports ground between the Sarsfield roundabout and the Kinsale Road flyover will have to go to accommodate the new parallel roads, here:

sarsfield-1.jpg

Driving by it, it's hard to believe that there's enough room there as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

That wall is fairly new as it is, It was built during preparation works and wont be touched by the new lay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

charlemont: 'That wall is fairly new as it is, It was built during preparation works and wont be touched by the new lay out'.

Yip. That's St Finbarrs GAA. The land between that wall and the existing road was CPO'd from the club in around 2006/7. The pitch directly above the red rectangle is the realigned pitch due to that new wall truncating the old pitch. The pitch extending off the photo to the right was also narrowed slightly due to the CPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

harry21 wrote: »
    I saw they started the columns that will support the bridge beams on the Ballincollig side of the Bandon Rd. roundabout. There is a big foundation and large circular steel rebar sticking out of the ground.

There is big foundation in the centre of the roundabout now too ready for more columns. It's on the East side of the centre of the roundabout if that makes sense. Noticed it this morning. Tried to take a pic but it was too dark. They're making nice progress in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Pretty poor pic attached of some of the works on the west side of the Bandon Roundabout. Took it on my phone as I was passing this morning. Will try better the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Tremelo wrote: »
    They've starting building the ramp that will carry the N25 over the current roundabout
    Semi Off-Topic but I would have thought it would make more sense to run the Sarsfield Road OVER the N25 - as you drive down from the City to the current SR, the road goes downhill. I've never taken it but the Sarsfield Road after the SR seems to go back uphill.

They're after digging a ferociously big hole immediately west of the Bandon roundabout, and the structure of the western flyover support is taking shape. If it's dry tomorrow, I'll take pictures from several nearby bridges for a somewhat bird's eye view of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

SeanW wrote: »
    Semi Off-Topic but I would have thought it would make more sense to run the Sarsfield Road OVER the N25 - as you drive down from the City to the current SR, the road goes downhill. I've never taken it but the Sarsfield Road after the SR seems to go back uphill.

We're talking NRA here, why do you expect 'sense' to enter the room :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Tremelo wrote: »
    They're after digging a ferociously big hole immediately west of the Bandon roundabout, and the structure of the western flyover support is taking shape. If it's dry tomorrow, I'll take pictures from several nearby bridges for a somewhat bird's eye view of things.

I will be on the lookout for you...;) I was supposed to be working here but some numpty decided to do the work for nothing...:mad:

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I will be on the lookout for you...;) I was supposed to be working here but some numpty decided to do the work for nothing...:mad:

Any of the haulage lorries I've seen had no name on them. SIAC have plenty of logos up around the place.

Saw a lorry with M. Harrington on it today by the Dunnes stores side drawing earth.

I got a load of photos this morning. They're being uploaded to Photobucket now...

This is the view east, towards the Jack Lynch Tunnel. As you can see, a large area was reserved in the centre of the dual carriageway to facilitate construction of the flyover. The arched bridge in the distance is the Bandon Road pedestrian bridge, which will soon be demolished.
    DSCF4416.jpg

The view westbound from the same vantage point, towards the N22 Ballincollig Bypass and, beyond that, Killarney:
    DSCF4417.jpg

And here is the Bandon Road pedestrian bridge:
    DSCF4425.jpg

From atop that bridge, here is the view east. Note the CPO'd car park spaces from the Dunnes Stores centre:
    DSCF4418.jpg

Here is a more centred photo from the same vantage point:
    DSCF4421.jpg

Now, looking west from the pedestrian bridge, here is the Bandon Roundabout itself:
    DSCF4422.jpg

Here in greater detail:
    DSCF4423.jpg

Here's the commemorative plaque of the Bandon Rd pedestrian bridge:
    DSCF4426.jpg

And now, this was taken alongside the nascent flyover ramp itself:
    DSCF4440.jpg

Self-explanatory:
    DSCF4441.jpg

DSCF4442.jpg

DSCF4443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Thanks tremelo, great photos. Pity that the good vantage points on the footbridges wont be there much longer.

Works at this roundabout are far less advanced than at the Bandon Roundabout.

First, here's the plaque for the pedestrian bridge, photos of which were posted upthread:
    DSCF4427.jpg

From the top of that bridge, here is the Sarsfield Roundabout itself, denuded of the scruffy plants that once dominated it:
    DSCF4434.jpg

Here is the view east towards the Kinsale Road interchange and the tunnel:
    DSCF4428.jpg

Some extra clearance at the south-east corner of the roundabout:
    DSCF4435.jpg

...and the south-west corner:
    DSCF4430.jpg

The view west, showing the clearing works which continue all the way towards the Bandon Roundabout:
    DSCF4431.jpg

The south-west corner again.
    DSCF4432.jpg

The south-west corner is quite marshy, as shown in the two pictures below:
    DSCF4435.jpg

DSCF4436.jpg

The north-east of the Sarsfield Roundabout:
    DSCF4437.jpg

alanucc wrote: »
    Thanks tremelo, great photos. Pity that the good vantage points on the footbridges wont be there much longer.

Thanks Alan. The pics turned out pretty well alright. Yes, it'll be very difficult to get good context photos when the bridges are dismantled. The thing that strikes me, having never seen the SRR from these vantage points before, is how scruffy the whole thing looks. When the flyovers are complete, the road will look and function superbly, apart from the narrow bridge over Douglas and Dunkettle.

The large hole shown in this picture -

DSCF4423.jpg

- appears to be the foundation for the structure that I've labelled in the centre of the roundabout in the following image:

3dbandoonrbout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Great photgraphs. It really brings the scale of the work being done into perspective.

It should make a huge difference for westbound traffic coming out of the tunnel. Its just a pity that eastbound traffic will still have the Dunkettle bottleneck at their end of the works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

great pics i cycle past both areas most days so can see the daily progress.

Do we have any idea yet how pedestrians/ cyclists will be accomodated temporarily at the sarsfield rd roundabout when the bridge is down?

None as yet Outkast, though a very detailed update is due over the next week which might explain the situation. Off-road cycle lanes will keep you safe and off the dual carriageway when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Lets hope there is no subsidence similar to several apartment blocks in the vicinity including the newest which was knocked a few months back. I see a pile rig has moved in to the site in the last few days near Sars junction.

I noticed that subsidence yesterday alright. I think these engineers know what they're doing though. They doubtless are familiar with the Tale of the Bog of Doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Great photos lads/lassies.Hadn't realised excavations were at such an advanced stage.
    I cringe when I see those new interlocking preformed slabs erected.Fine when new but if the growth sprouts up between the joints I think they look deplorable.

Had a crane onsite today, erected the piling rig. I imagine it will be working overtime from now on.

Didn't the existing road subside after a few years when they built it first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Any chance someone could get photos from both pedestrian bridges of traffic at the height of rush hour (before they are demolished!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Just read an article in the Echo that a JCB was stolen from the worksite at the Bandon Road, most likely to do an ATM robbery.

Even since I took those photos on Sunday quite a bit of visible work has been done, mostly bulk earthworks.

@ Chris: I won't be taking any rush hour photos I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Works have been suspended at one of the roundabouts indefinitley due to archeology work. Seemingly the ruins of an ancient building were found while digging.

Advertisement