Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Disgusted with singing Vick. As one poster said on TOJ we signed a washed up dog killer that nobody else wanted. And now talks of signing Desean Jackson. More character issues that the team doesnt need. I thought Idzik didnt sign players with character issues. Loads of good WRs available in the draft without paying big money to Jackson.

I understand your points on the Jackson (particularly the massive contract) thing but give over with the Vick stuff.

Chap served his time and hasn't put a foot wrong since his release. He was a leader in the Eagles locker room and the fact that Jeff Laurie himself gave some goodbye comments on him speaks volumes.

As I said - Injuries aside it's a decent pick up - It's a one year deal aimed at pushing Geno. For the first time in a good few years we have a decent 2 horse race at the QB position. If Geno isn't able to handle the pressure of Vick breeding down his neck then he doesn't deserve the starters job anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Not worried about the dog thing anymore even though I think someone who was involved in that has to be lacking something mentally. The fact that very few teams if any showed seroius interest speaks volumes. He is a broken down interception machine. A solid reliable backup was called for. I don't care that he knows Martys system. His legs were his biggest asset and they are not up to the job anymore. I will end my rant before I start on the possibilities of Vick in NY and the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Could be quite interesting if Jackson ends up with you lads. Decker and Jackson ranked top five on the deep ball last year, no QB's except Wilson and Manning were more accurate on the deep ball than Geno last year (per Pete Damilatis of PFF). It would certainly make for an interesting combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well seeing as Michael Vick is now a jet. I wish him well and while I don't think he should be allowed forget what he went to jail for, he has served his time and deserved a second chance which the eagles gave him.

He may not have been great last year or the year before but he is clearly talented. I also have respect with how he handled losing his spot to nick foles last year. He helped instead of hindered foles to have a great year last year.

Also, his signing helps the jets as he knows the system being used by Marty inside and out and if nothing else can help geno with the system. That can only help geno.

Lady yere under rating Vick he's still got serious wheels (quicker than most robs in the league) and the only time he had int issues was when andy tried to make him a pocket passer and when our o-line was terrible take it from a guy that's watched all his games since he came back to the league he's a big upgrade for ye

Also given the Ryan's family's distaste for offense he can perform better than most in an off the cuff offense ala randal Cunningham under buddy Ryan

With regards locker room issues there will be none the guy did some horrible stuff and there's no forgetting that but he's been an angel since he's come back not only have we not herd a peep from him but he's been doing lots of work in the community.

I'm sad to see him go but we just didn't have room on the roster for him he will start day one or he will mentor geno without a word to the media it's win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Not sure if there are any Jets fans out there but a pretty good showing today, apart from the penalties early on and some sloppiness towards the end there were plenty of good signs. Nevermind the lack of CBs, the defense held up well and Geno looked strong (for Geno).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Defense saved the Jets blushes! Raiders were so bad yet our offense kept them right in it. yeah apart from his INT and fumble Geno was pretty solid and had an 82% pass completion, just cant seem to get it done in the redzone

We gave them a hiding on both sides of the ball.....except the score. Plenty of positives today but indeed some reasons to worry. Geno was accurate but some mental mistakes that won't stand up against teams not named the Raiders.

Running game looked great.
    D-Line was brilliant (as usual) - Mo Wilk being a beast once again
    Double A is dynamic player, was a great 7th round pick he was.
    Good proper debut by Pryor.
    Decker with a good start, BS, OPI call by him.

Oh oh oh...And the Pats lost :D How did Revis play?

BqjIa4yCYAAuDdB.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Anywhere I can watch highlights of the game (aside from NFL gamepass)? Will Eurosport have their own roundup show?

Brady got the absolute piss beaten out of him, Cant wait for the front 7 to have a go at their o-line

• Advertisement

also there run defense was dirt! so thats another thing to look forward to

Screenshot2014-09-07at211308.png

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Double A is dynamic player, was a great 7th round pick he was.

best player on the pitch, and to think Ed Reed was brought in to play ahead of him last year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

Antonio Allen was immense today. Somebody had a strong word with Geno about extending plays because he took a couple of heavy hits scrambling in the first half. The options with Vick (especially the flea-flicker to Decker) were interesting. Decent win for the jets, should have been out of sight long before the end though.

franglan wrote: »
    A The options with Vick (especially the flea-flicker to Decker) were interesting.

Mornhinweg needs to give up the gimmick plays, they just dont work! the worst one was on the play Geno fumbled when Vick was lined up in the slot. they brought in DEcker, Amaro and Johnson in the offseason, use them ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Terrible game. Raiders were horrible but I didn't expect anything less. I think you guys will be around 8-8 for the season.

yeah the Jets should of had the win in the bag much earlier. I was expecting a lot more from you're D-line, there was basically zero pressure on Geno all game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

phatkev wrote: »
    yeah the Jets should of had the win in the bag much earlier. I was expecting a lot more from you're D-line, there was basically zero pressure on Geno all game

Our D-line is passed it. Moore and Mack had some success as few times but we didn't blitx often enough. The massive holes Smith had to run into was extremely frustrating as well.

Screenshot2014-09-08at164006.png

God damn penalties

Really shows how anaemic the Raiders offense is. Thought Carr looked poised and did fine for his first outing. Thought Jones-Drew looked fat. A sore Green Bay team will be a more difficult assignment!

• Advertisement

Thought I'd resurrect this thread so all the other Jets fans out there can share in the misery. Desperately disappointed with the season so far and nothing to look forward to but a high draft pick next year. Rex has to go even we get four or five wins from the remaining games. I realise that Idzik has made mistakes but dont think we should fire him now despite Cimini (ESPN) constantly blaming him and no one else. Despite being very thin at corner back the Jets have come close to beating some very good teams and the coaching staff has much to answer in these games. Also Vick is not the answer as he will turn the ball over as often as Geno.

I've always seen American football probably as my second/third team sport behind soccer and rugby but have been a big Jets fan for the guts of 12 years at this point. This year has been utterly disappointing. As a fan I felt fairly desolit Monday morning, the first quarter of Sunday's game was a new low. Geno wasn't the answer, ok he was probably value where he was picked but his two issues coming out of college, namely accuracy and staring down receivers/not going through his progression were all to see on Sunday. Don't know where we go from here. Start rebuilding now but with who? For me I would keep Rex but give him a 2-3 year contract, it sounds like madness but he needs to bring in an offensive coordinator better than Marty- I'm not convinced any decent OC wants to go to a team where the head coach could be out of there within a year, hence why we are stuck with Marty. We didn't address the DB positions in the off season, particularly at CB, Cromartie walked and was replaced with a fella who went AWOL before the season begun. Milliner is not going to be the stud the Jets drafted him to be. For me the GM hasn't done enough to keep his job, too slow in the off season to deal and apart from Richardson his drafting hasn't inspired confidence. It's fair to say Rex is an excellent DC, keep him in the job but give him a stable OC and some stability. The only concern I have in terms of next years draft is that apart from Mariota I'm not hugely impressed by anyone in this QB class (let's not draft Winston with all the baggage and the NY media and and the Jets), Mariota will be gone by the time the Jets are on the board so we trade up which is risky/costly or we are in limbo with the QB situ for another while.

the performance last Sunday was Kotite era bad!!! as much as I love Rex i dont think he will be around next season and if the Jets are going to use another high pick on a QB I'd much rather a head coach that nurture a young QB, something that Rex never seemed to do. I dont think Idzik should be getting as much stick over the secondary, the top 3 CB's coming into the pre season were Milliner, McDougle and Patterson, two of them suffered season ending injuries and I don't think anyone could have foresaw what happened with Patterson. I think Pryor was a great pick but the depleted secondary has forced him to play in a position he's not fully familiar with, hence his not so spectacular start to the season. As for getting rid of Cro, he was garbage last season and no way deserved a new contract.you and answered your own question about the OC, No decent OC is going to want to go anywhere near that team!

But yeah this season has been so depressing and I have a feeling it wont be getting much better! 2015 Draft here we come

i have to agree about OC. Every year the cry is the same that if we had a decent OC we would be better. At some stage the Head Coach has to take responsibility. Also there seems to be very little player development and talent evaluation is very poor. As a keen college fan some of our lower round picks were crazy. I know they wanted to stockpile wide receivers but the picks were horrendous. It seems to be all based on measurables and no mention of intangibles such as leadership and willingness to learn and develop. The biggest example is not picking a developmental qb like McCarron or Arron Murray. Also the wide receivers picked were either small and fast or big and slow.

Have to agree on the development QB scenario, we took Boyd in the later rounds when rather than taking receiver after receiver in almost a "ah sure some might be good" fashion the Jets should have taken someone like Murray. Much better option I would think compared to Matt Simms who played very little college football. You could argue he would have been a viable option this season when Vick flames out!

and the Jets secondary woes continue, Darrin Walls is out of tomorrows game so the active CBs now include Kyle Wilson,Philip Adams, Josh Thomas and Marcus Williams! the Chiefs are going to have a field day tomorrow:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think it will be a hard sell to keep Ryan tbh. If he did a good job to achieve 8 - 8 last year he probably did a poor job to end up 8 - 8 in 2011. 2012 and 2014 just haven't been good enough.

It's just about worth talking about at all because you know that he's a coach at a level where you could win a superbowl if a magic wand was waved and we received a new top QB overnight.

If he was kept on I wouldn't mind, if he was let go I could accept it.

I have been reading the normal US commentators on the Jets such as Cimini and Mehta. I find it hard to figure out why they completely ignore the coaching failures and try to place all the blame at the feet of Idzik.

why anyone still reads the absolute trash Dick Cimini and Manish put out is beyond me. They have to be two of the worst beat writers out there

Would agree with that but apart from TOJ there doesnt seem to be much else. Star Ledgers coverage not as good as it used to be.

if you're on twitter you should give this guy a follow @DWAZ73. gets all the relative info out good and fast

• Advertisement

the Miami Herald is reporting that the fins and Jets will be one of the London games next year, it would be pretty class if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Delighted for this game next year, kinda gives us something to look forward to.

I've not posted here yet this season, it's been a bit of a disaster really. I can see Rex getting the bullet. He's been in charge for 90ish games now. Saying to the media to wait and see what happens in these last 7 games is bollix he took over a team that was mature and it's fallen apart. He never drafted o line support for Sanchez and mark took that bullet.

Idzic ignored the secondary in one draft, and it's been critical to us. His reliance on seattle for their outcasts tho. If money lynch is on the way out too will he be coming across country too? Are we going to go back to the last few years of a divided locker room.

Someone will get the bullet, maybe both, but when idzic came in people said he would be the one to stay at end of season no matter what as Rex was forced on him as head coach. We read the stories that the players love Rex. Well the defence certainly seems to.
    Any way we can get him to take a step back to defensive coordinator? Cause if he is fired he will be picked up by another team but it'll only be in that role imo

I think we need a clean break from Rex tbh, I think OC is nearly as important to get right next time too. Some infuriating play calls this year and no progression from Geno (or anyone else on offense really), in an ideal world we'll draft a QB and have a fresh HC and OC ready to actually build a team for them. Fingers crossed we keep being sh/te for the rest of the season and secure a nice high draft.

gerire wrote: »
    Idzic ignored the secondary in one draft, and it's been critical to us.
    he has spent two first round picks on the secondary, hardly ignoring the position! I dont think any GM could have foreseen what happened with the secondary and he cant be blamed for it.
    gerire wrote: »
    Someone will get the bullet, maybe both, but when idzic came in people said he would be the one to stay at end of season no matter what as Rex was forced on him as head coach. We read the stories that the players love Rex. Well the defence certainly seems to.
    Any way we can get him to take a step back to defensive coordinator? Cause if he is fired he will be picked up by another team but it'll only be in that role imo
    Woody absolutely adores Rex so I'll never say never but I have a feeling he will be gone. no way he takes a DC role, he'll get snapped up as a HC in no time. I think Idzic will be there for at least another year with is own HC. But finding a HC willing to talk over in New York could be pretty difficult.

But yeah Wembley 2015:D:D

Hotel booked for wembley already! Does anyone know when the tickets will be on sale. Would love to be going to see Jets with new head coach and new quarterback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Hotel booked for wembley already! Does anyone know when the tickets will be on sale. Would love to be going to see Jets with new head coach and new quarterback.

Season tickets for the 3 games in December

Individual games in January
    Was the story I read on twitter. Is it worth the gamble on waiting on team returns? There was a load of great seats came back this year. I won't though, need the guarantee, going to look at hotels tonight myself flights too with the ireland Italy game on same day

Done the Wembley season ticket package deal this season (Off to the Jags and Cowboys game on Sunday) but I cannot wait to see the Jets over here...In a divisional matchup no less against the Fins!

Will definitely be looking to get sideline tickets on the Jets side for this. The away team does be on the Sideline facing the South stand. Something to bear in mind when the tickets are going out.

Some other added bonuses - We are the first Wembley game of the year which hopefully means we get the Regent street treatment for the Saturday tailgate.
    Wembley teams also always get tonnes of merchandise. Theres never much Jets items on sale but there will be a lot next year.

Here's hoping we have Mariota coming with us...Which would require us to win maximum 1 more game this season. :pac:

Your AFC defensive player of the week, Mr Jaiquawn Jarrett:D:D

nfl_u_jarrett1x_576x324.jpg

phatkev wrote: »
    Your AFC defensive player of the week, Mr Jaiquawn Jarrett:D:D

He had some game alright! See if Pryor reacts a bit now hopefully

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Here's hoping we have Mariota coming with us...Which would require us to win maximum 1 more game this season. :pac:

Thats the one win gone now. Dont know if I would prefer mid table mediocraty to last place. Think the only thing a few more wins will do is to affect our draft pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

Thats the one win gone now. Dont know if I would prefer mid table mediocraty to last place. Think the only thing a few more wins will do is to affect our draft pick.

We are not gonna get the number 1 spot even if we lose all or games, because Oakland are as bad as I have ever seen.

Finishing with anything over 5 wins could kill us when it comes to draft picks. As bad as it sounds, I would much rather a top 5 pick, than winning a few meaningless games over the next couple of months.

As hard as it is to say, I want to finish 3-13. Win one game on December 21st at home to New England and hopefully knock them out of the playoffs.

Unfortunately, I think we can win 3 games. I think we win one of the next 2 against either Bills away or Miami at home. We win in Tennessee and beat New England.

A top 5 pick gives us a chance to trade up/down and still come out of this draft strongly.

Ive seen the Jets fcuk up far to many drafts, so Ill take the wins whenever i can them. as you said a over the Pats is always essential, and i would love to end the fishes playoff hopes too . Theres also no point in spending another high on a young QB unless you've got someone that actually protect them!

I can't see us getting too many more wins this year anyway to be honest, last week there were a few unexpected big individual performances that carried the team. I'm guessing a win at home to Miami and then to the Titans. Should keep us pretty high up the draft hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

Well, I'd have to assume that is the final nail in Rex's coffin.

35 point defeat when coming off a bye, against a team who haven't had a training session in over 10 days, until they got to Detroit.

7 sacks, 9 TFL, 3-15 on 3rd down. Our longest drive of the game was for 34 yards, and that ended in an Int.Giacomini was caught twice for false starts (mainly because Mario Williams killed him). Injuries to Wilkerson & Amaro (although no idea if they will be out or not)

Vick was 7-19 and an Int. If Decker caught the pass just before half time, maybe it would have been different. But that is really clutching at straws.

Special teams is rubbish.
    A blocked punt for a TD
    2 Muffed catches (Harvin & Connor)
    I love watching Harvin, but he ran 4 balls out of the end zone, and the furthest he got was the 15 yard line.

I think this note from ESPN Gamecast sums it up: The Bills did not blitz Michael Vick once in the 1st half, despite still recording three sacks and two pressured pass attempts. The Jets blitzed 6 times. Orton was 6-of-6 for 74 yards against the blitz.

The "highlight" of the game was Geno's performance when he came in. 10 from 12, for 89 yards. But by that stage he was playing the second string.

I would really like to see Sims get a chance. Not next weekend, but if whoever starts against Miami doesn't perform, then I'd like to see Sims get a chance in Minnesota and Tennessee.

Prime time game next week against an impressive Miami team...... That will be fun

and according to Rex the team were a "zillion" times better than the last time they faced the bills! the o-line is an absolute embarrassment, Colon is just a complete dumpster fire, Giacomini got turned inside out and should of had more than more the 2 false start penalties, I dont say this often but Brick was hopeless on the edge last night. So I say Fcuk wasting another high pick on a QB you cant protect and go for some help up front with someone like Cedric Ogbuehi or Brandon Scherff

also Marty Mornhinweg and his fcuking wild cat need go!!

Good read on Ricardsons year so far, its fairly GIF heavy though

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/12/new-york-jets-sheldon-richardson-getting-even-better/

Anyone thinking of going to the Jets-Dolphins game next October? Same day as the Ireland Italy rugby game too so you definitely be wearing green that day!

We can't even lose when we're supposed to -_-

• Advertisement

Rex knows he's out. Why would he want to lose on purpose & help Jets in draft? Same with Geno. Why would he lose for Jets to draft a QB? Just as a matter of interest you would ye take if the Jets had the #2 pick as opposed to the #6

Advertisement