Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

mickyboy wrote: »
    €22 million looks a bit more sensible. Was looking at the Evening Echo article which says €67m for PUC redevelopment.

Wonder if they will put in temporary bars/cafes outside the stadium before matches/concerts. I find that most people go down there last minute as there's nowhere to get a drink or snack directly outside the stadium

They should definitely do something like that - make that whole area into a place with cafes and bars and connect it with the Atlantic pond as well - then have regular events in pairc ui chaoimh (gigs) as well as matches and the place would be buzzing. Sounds easy but not that easy in practice I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭twinytwo

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'm for it lads.

If you attend matches there regularly you would see how poor the stadium is. If your anyway tall your crammed into your seat and the tunnels leading to the stand have the makings of a serious accident someday.

And, its development that will lead to some construction jobs in the short term.

Actually this is a complete waste of money. Yes the stadium needs to be refitted but this money should be spent on youth develpment etc... something that is lacking in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

CHealy wrote: »
    I'm really sorry there now, but Turners Cross is the best League of Ireland stadium, and probably the best local football stadium on the island. Only Turners Cross and the Aviva are all covered, all seated. You have an abundance of pubs around the ground, food can be easily got inside the ground, very clean toilet facilities, comfortable seat with a great view of what can only be described as a snooker table of a pitch, and a great athmosphere at most games.

What more do you want, there is literally, nothing more Cork City can do to get people to games.

A stupid, lazy comment it has to be said.

Fair enough, thanks for the correction. I've never been there so was basing it on what I'd seen on TV. It sounds like quite a bit of work has been done to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm assuming you've been to Dublin ya?

As you said the ground is in the Inner City, the Marina on the other hand is not and no buses go down by it.

Its alot easier to get to Croke Park from the centre of Dublin then it is the Marina and the Pairc.

With better transport links on matchdays and matchday parking it would be better for everyone involved.

Most people going to games in Croke Park take the luas, Dart or bus to the city centre and then walk. Croke Park is outside the Canals and i was illustrating that the distance involved in walking from the transport hubs in Dublin to Croke Park is similar to those in Cork walking to the Pairc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Most people going to games in Croke Park take the luas, Dart or bus to the city centre and then walk. Croke Park is outside the Canals and i was illustrating that the distance involved in walking from the transport hubs in Dublin to Croke Park is similar to those in Cork walking to the Pairc.

But theres more of them, thats the point. You have 3 viable options to get you within a reasonable distance to Croke park, in Cork you've to get the 202 to Ballintemple/Victoria Road/Blackroad Road and walk, the 210's closest stop is somewhere near Ballinlough afaik.

Anyway, if they can put in place a better solution to moving people to and from the venue it will work alot better no matter what the capacity.

• Advertisement

twinytwo wrote: »
    Actually this is a complete waste of money. Yes the stadium needs to be refitted but this money should be spent on youth develpment etc... something that is lacking in cork.

From what i have seen the last few years ye are producing some top class hurlers and it would be better if ye still had the likes of Sweetnam. Aidan Walsh is also top drawer should he ever opt for the short ball game. He's from a football stronghold too along with William Egan and Mark Sugrue who is from Bandon. Eoin Cadogan, Christopher Joyce, Cahalane, Coughlan, the Pebble....nothing wrong with any of these lads but i would agree that the managerial and coaching structure might need to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When does this redevelopment supposedly start?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The day Frank Murphy retires - the 12th of never!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Aidan Walsh is also top drawer should he ever opt for the short ball game. He's from a football stronghold too.
    Walsh's club is Kanturk which is hurling country. You'd have to go further south towards Millstreet/Macroom for football territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Planning application due to be submitted in October 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Article Jan 8, 2014

Cork County Board decision on Páirc Uí Chaoimh planning due in a week
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cork-county-board-decision-on-pairc-ui-chaoimh-planning-due-in-a-week-254593.html

Haven't heard anything further.

On a good note, the GAA have announced they are now fully debt free
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0204/502195-bumper-gaa-year-clears-croke-park-debt/

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Article Jan 8, 2014

Cork County Board decision on Páirc Uí Chaoimh planning due in a week
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cork-county-board-decision-on-pairc-ui-chaoimh-planning-due-in-a-week-254593.html

Haven't heard anything further.

Edit: http://www.96fm.ie/News-Local-Info?ItemID=2684
    decision on planning for the redevelopment of Pairc Ui Chaoimh ,
    could take a number of months ...

On a good note, the GAA have announced they are now fully debt free
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0204/502195-bumper-gaa-year-clears-croke-park-debt/

Do you think anyone will play there this summer, Garth Brooks maybe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

After the disaster of last years crowd management I hope nobody plays there again until it is redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Do you think anyone will play there this summer, Garth Brooks maybe :p

As mad as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if two of the dates had to be moved due to licensing issues from the local residents objections.

Now, I'd rather put a mixture of epoxy and wasps in my ears than listen to his music, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to move some of the concerts around to some other large GAA venues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As mad as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if two of the dates had to be moved due to licensing issues from the local residents objections.

Now, I'd rather put a mixture of epoxy and wasps in my ears than listen to his music, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to move some of the concerts around to some other large GAA venues.

The major problem there would be the dismantling of the stage, the extra ground works to the other ground and putting the stage up again......time and money that I'm sure won't be spent, probably can't happen as he probably has a timetable done out for other countries aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

lertsnim wrote: »
    After the disaster of last years crowd management I hope nobody plays there again until it is redeveloped.

I never realised sheer stupidity could be so dangerous.

They never opened the 2nd exit in the Showgrounds until the Gardai insisted. Absolutely crazy. 2 gates instead of 1 and it wasn't opened, created a dangerous bottleneck.

Also, they stopped people exiting by the Atlantic Pond which was ridiculous, 95% of the crowd was sober as it took about 1/2 hour to get a drink and if they were worried about people falling into the pond, a couple of hundred barriers and about 15 stewards would have more than done the trick. If this was opened it would have reduced the numbers going into the Showgrounds significantly.

It was moronic the whole thing.

The Cork GAA Board has announced that Cork City Council has approved planning permission for the board's €70 million redevelopment of Páirc Uí Chaoimh Source

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The Cork GAA Board has announced that Cork City Council has approved planning permission for the board's €70 million redevelopment of Páirc Uí Chaoimh Source

Saw that, is it subject to appeal ?

Surprised they announced it during the local election run up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its the redevelopment of the main stand, plus a bit of an astro pitch out the back. Waste of 70 million when they could have levelled the kip and built a nice big modern stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

CHealy wrote: »
    Its the redevelopment of the main stand, plus a bit of an astro pitch out the back. Waste of 70 million when they could have levelled the kip and built a nice big modern stadium.

Well said.

An all seater,all covered would have been the job.Look at the Juventus stadium built for €105 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juventus_Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

70 million to go from 43,500 to 45,000? Granted, much improved facilities, but they could do so much more for that kind of money. The juventus stadium is a good example.
    It could have been so much better than the plans I've seen.I would have loved a all seater, multi purpose arena, but like a transatlantic flight from the airport, it will remain in my dreams.

This is a bit of a conspiracy theory.. but lots of people have been wondering why they needed a centre of excellence there, where space might be at a premium.

Well, their original plans were to have a hotel adjoining the stadium which were refused. If the adjoining land were to be used for the Marina Park (that's why it was originally CPO'ed from the MAS in the first place), there isn't a hope in hell the GAA would ever be able to get that land back in order to build a hotel on it. But, if it were to be used for a 2nd pitch / centre of excellence, then in 15...20 years time no one would be too bothered if they wanted to build a stadium on one of their own pitches.

who_me wrote: »
    This is a bit of a conspiracy theory.. but lots of people have been wondering why they needed a centre of excellence there, where space might be at a premium.

Well, their original plans were to have a hotel adjoining the stadium which were refused. If the adjoining land were to be used for the Marina Park (that's why it was originally CPO'ed from the MAS in the first place), there isn't a hope in hell the GAA would ever be able to get that land back in order to build a hotel on it. But, if it were to be used for a 2nd pitch / centre of excellence, then in 15...20 years time no one would be too bothered if they wanted to build a stadium on one of their own pitches.

That's a very interesting post but do you mean to say in your final point that "no one would be too bothered if they wanted to build a hotel on one of their own pitches" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

God knows why Cork needs a 45000 capacity stadium.

A top class 30,000-35,000 seater would do grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No need for an all-seater, either. One, or maybe two terraces, and you could get an extra 5,000-10,000 capacity without really needing to make the physical size of the stadium bigger. Should be all-covered, though - no excuse at all for a modern stadium to have fans out in the pissing rain. That'd cover the GAA's needs, and if City ever needed something bigger than the Cross for European matches. Maybe even get the odd international football friendly down, too.

clerk wrote: »
    That's a very interesting post but do you mean to say in your final point that "no one would be too bothered if they wanted to build a hotel on one of their own pitches" ?

The GAA wanted to build a hotel right next to the stadium, but were denied. If that land (or part of it) had been used as part of the public Marina Park, there isn't a hope in hell they'd ever be able to buy it and build there. There would be public uproar at public parkland being taken away. But if the land is used for extra pitches/training facilities now, then in a few years time people would be much less bothered if the GAA wanted to convert some of their own property from training facilities into a hotel.

i.e. they could be using the centre of excellent to 'reserve' the land until some time in the future when they could get planning permission for the hotel. If I were devious, that's what I'd do. :P

who_me wrote: »
    i.e. they could be using the centre of excellent to 'reserve' the land until some time in the future when they could get planning permission for the hotel. If I were devious, that's what I'd do. :P

Dowcha Frank. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I wouldn't be surprised if in 10/15/20 years time they extended the new stand around the back of one of the goals replacing one of the terraces or built a new stand opposite it. This plan looks like a phase 1 in a very long term plan. I'm sure it will be designed with this in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if in 10/15/20 years time they extended the new stand around the back of one of the goals replacing one of the terraces or built a new stand opposite it. This plan looks like a phase 1 in a very long term plan. I'm sure it will be designed with this in mind.

A bloody expensive phase 1

Advertisement