Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    If we do end up in a genderless Europe, do we all have to sort of half-crouch while taking a leak?
    Might ask Popette that next time I have to listen - as I did this morning, courtesy of a poorly-judged attempt to inquire about some shrubs - to a "The bastards are taking away our gender!" rant.

Remember that Australian preacher from last week who said he'd divorce his missus if marriage equality showed up in Australia? Well, a friend of his has just unfriended him with - it has to be said - some style:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/uninvited-why-gay-marriage-protester-nick-jensen-is-not-welcome-at-my-wedding/story-fniz91ns-1227394515155?ts_pid=2
    [...] And here’s the thing — making light of divorce is just as offensive as making light of marriage. Access to no-fault divorce is one of the most hard-fought and important social gains we’ve had in modern Australia. If we’d lived up to Nick’s fantasy world where the government never got involved in changing laws, they’d be no chance of getting divorced unless one of the couple cheated on or beat the other.

No flippant, fit-of-pique publicity stunt divorces. Just servitude and domestic violence.

After stewing over it over dinner last night, my fiance and I have decided the best thing to do is to make sure Nick understands how little he and his twisted world view matters. Couples all over the world of mixed race, mixed religion and now, at least in some countries, the same sex, enjoy a married life their forebears could not have dreamt would one day happen — and Nick and Sarah’s sham divorce will have zero impact on their lives. None.

Nick says that his statement is neither a protest nor a threat, but simply “something we’re explaining is the consequence of any change in legislation”.

Well, Nick, I’m sure you’ve come to appreciate over the past 48 hours that it’s not just changes to legislation that have consequences. Newspaper articles do, too. And here’s one of them, albeit a small one — I don’t want you anywhere near my wedding. You and your views are not welcome, because you’re right — the institution we’re marrying into isn’t the same one you think you’re in.

And I’m pretty sure the consequences of your actions this week are going to mean more to you than to anyone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    Remember that Australian preacher from last week who said he'd divorce his missus if marriage equality showed up in Australia? Well, a friend of his has just unfriended him with - it has to be said - some style:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/uninvited-why-gay-marriage-protester-nick-jensen-is-not-welcome-at-my-wedding/story-fniz91ns-1227394515155?ts_pid=2

Amusingly, should Pastor Nick attempt to carry out his threat his divorce petition is likely to be refused as under Australian law the marriage must have irredeemably broken down with no possibility of reconciliation. Since Pastor Nick has publicly declared himself and Mrs Pastor Nick intend to remain together as man and wife' and stated he intends to divorce as a protest not because his marriage has broken down it could be an embarrassing day for him in court. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The one thing about these debates is they tend to "out" the closet extremely anti-gay types.
    It's really handy to make a mental note of who they are and which parties are most friendly to them.

Anti gay tends to translate as anti atheist, anti secular, anti liberal and basically the opposite to everything I am so, it's always good to know which parties never to vote for.

Remember, the same parties and ideologies that are welcoming these views are the same ones who banned condoms, banned divorce, deployed deep censorship policies, recent blasphemy laws that dragged us into international embarrassment, integrated religious teaching fully into the school day, stood by and did nothing when the religious institutions lost the plot in various "care" institutions etc etc etc

Voting for someone who gets your local pothole filled isn't always the best criteria for selecting a candidate.

Some leopards don't change their spots they just hire spin doctors to rebrand for the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Breaking :)
    States cannot keep same-sex couples from marrying and must recognize their unions, the Supreme Court says in a ruling that for months has been the focus of speculation. The ruling was made by a 5-4 decision.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/26/417717613/supreme-court-rules-all-states-must-allow-same-sex-marriages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Better get some popcorn ready and turn on fox news.

Obama destroying religious freedom? Tune in while we ignore the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

And in Northern Ireland two same sex couples have gained approval for a judicial review of The decision not to extend same sex marriage rights there.

Today was a good day for same sex marriage.

MrP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh man, you can just image the bible belt crowd just getting awful upset right now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lord Huckabee has spoken.

"The Supreme Court can no more repeal the laws of nature and nature's God on marriage than it can the laws of gravity."

"The Supreme Court has spoken with a very divided voice on something only the Supreme Being can do-redefine marriage. I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat."

Supreme Being? Where can I buy one of those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Mike Huckabee, the perfect definition of a ƒuckin eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

His family tree must look like a helter-skelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh man, you can just image the bible belt crowd just getting awful upset right now :)

....Bibles flying out of prams.....broken household items being blamed on wrath of God/Obama the gay muslim atheist....fears over being asked out by gay being mulled over a tad too long to be called a "fear"....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lord Huckabee has spoken.

"The Supreme Court can no more repeal the laws of nature and nature's God on marriage than it can the laws of gravity."

"The Supreme Court has spoken with a very divided voice on something only the Supreme Being can do-redefine marriage. I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat."

Supreme Being? Where can I buy one of those?

If the supreme being doesn't like gay marriage then let it speak with its own voice from the sky in a clear language right now...... Nothing, thought as much.

Hopefully it's sorted up north soon. The DUP is making a complete fool of the place internationally at this stage!

11403149_705273602957173_1002156335667124803_n.png?oh=b64e8bfb5c84831e1ca3665ead1b7df6&oe=561AF5AE

Some people are going to be disappointed.

Nobody dead yet
    http://gaymarriagebodycount.com/

I can confirm that in the US, the sky hasn't fallen in either, as your intrepid correspondent is -- mirabile dictu -- currently flying over California quite peacefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Hopefully it's sorted up north soon. The DUP is making a complete fool of the place internationally at this stage!

They've been doing that ever since they were established, and they're not going to change now.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I can confirm that in the US, the sky hasn't fallen in either, as your intrepid correspondent is -- mirabile dictu -- currently flying over California quite peacefully.

Any fellow passengers get raptured yet? It'd be kinda like that really crap Jodie Foster movie.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Any fellow passengers get raptured yet? It'd be kinda like that really crap Jodie Foster movie.

Anna and The King?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Oh my god, Robin's been gaydopted by rich Americans!

They've been doing that ever since they were established, and they're not going to change now.

I'm not sure which Britain they're being so loyal to. It's certainly not 2015 Britain anyway ... 1815 maybe? They really need to visit their gloriously gay friendly, vaguely agnostic, largely atheist, multicultural capital for a night out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

SpaceTime wrote: »

Red necks of Europe.

As for their relationship with Britain: They have more in common with Alabama than Britain. They have no real loyalty. They are loyal to whoever benefits them; like the Scottish oath and covenant. I can't stand their culture and mindset being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Cabaal wrote: »

I guess they'll just have to focus more on the racism and bombing abortion clinics now :pac:

Saw a facebook page which had someone suggesting that they change the word marriage to something else because you wouldnt want to dignifying homosexual relationships by using the same term.

Here was me thinking that the word marriage was special to Christians (remember the whole you can have all the rights but Im voting no because you cant use that word gang), didnt realise its thinking you are better than everyone else that was the important part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Links234 wrote: »
    Fair play to John Oliver

I tend to say that after pretty much every episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Brilliant.

bi4g77.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I nearly want to get gay married now, so I can hire Brentwood Photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

353702.jpeg

Advertisement