Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sunday Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

jethro081 wrote: »
    in fairness, kieran hughes is pretty young himself, and as i said earlier, we don't know the background to it. there could be any number of provocations that would incite that kind of reaction.

However, i can't argue that it was far from classy, i just feel it was overblown by the sunday game lads.

It looked from by perspective (biased it may be) that Niall Kelly was just trying to walk off the field, maybe there was a background to it but to me it looked like fairly compulsive behaviour from Hughes.

I have to agree though,it seems that the Sunday Game lads seem to find controversy for the sake of it sometimes, nevertheless it was very poor form and Monaghan wont be getting any well wishes for the Dublin game in Kildare after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

is the rotation thing for post match analysis a regular thing now two weeks ago no brolly this week no spilane cant stand whelan tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

O'Rourke was gone when Meath were playing & Spillane was gone when Kerry were playing. Maybe RTE have decided not to have lads on if their own county is playing that day, as they know that impartial analysis is next to impossible? Or maybe they were just off on their summer holliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

They never have O'Rourke on when Meath are playing. He has a son & a nephew on the team, so he's prob at the games as a supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

ProudDUB wrote: »
    O'Rourke was gone when Meath were playing & Spillane was gone when Kerry were playing. Maybe RTE have decided not to have lads on if their own county is playing that day, as they know that impartial analysis is next to impossible? Or maybe they were just off on their summer holliers.
    O'Rourke never does analysis when his son is playing, don't know why Spillane was absent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

ProudDUB wrote: »

Then why the hell is the extremely biased Martin Carney always co-commentating Mayo games?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

padd b1975 wrote: »
    O'Rourke never does analysis when his son is playing, don't know why Spillane was absent.

that makes sense. I always felt that martin mchugh shouldn't be anywhere near donegal games, as he understandably can't take a step back when one or both of his own sons are playing.

They all struggle to call their own counties impartially, although to be fair to him, spillane does seem to give it a good crack, being unbiased about kerry.

you could see it yesterday actually, michael lyster wanted to tell brolly to fcuk himself with his galway comments. wouldn't have got that annoyed if it wasn't his own county i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

that makes sense. I always felt that martin mchugh shouldn't be anywhere near donegal games, as he understandably can't take a step back when one or both of his own sons are playing.

They all struggle to call their own counties impartially, although to be fair to him, spillane does seem to give it a good crack, being unbiased about kerry.

you could see it yesterday actually, michael lyster wanted to tell brolly to fcuk himself with his galway comments. wouldn't have got that annoyed if it wasn't his own county i reckon.

On the contrary, McHugh goes the other direction. I can't remember the last time he tipped Donegal! Cute hoorism no doubt and very obvious too.

He's a dreadful communicator. Hard to listen too at times but he knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

On the contrary, McHugh goes the other direction. I can't remember the last time he tipped Donegal! Cute hoorism no doubt and very obvious too.

He's a dreadful communicator. Hard to listen too at times but he knows his stuff.

i meant more his impartiality when reacting to tackles and incidents involving his sons. not so much bias toward donegal, but more that he's understandably protective of his young lads.

i meant more his impartiality when reacting to tackles and incidents involving his sons. not so much bias toward donegal, but more that he's understandably protective of his young lads.

You'd want to hear him on the radio. He's not shy of cutting ribbons of both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭emmetlego

McHugh's comments about Gooch being a "2 trick pony" shows that the clowns on that show just try and be controversial. Gooch is one of the finest of all time, never mind this generation in my humble opinion, and to say that about him is limelight grabbing exercise.

emmetlego wrote: »
    McHugh's comments about Gooch being a "2 trick pony" shows that the clowns on that show just try and be controversial. Gooch is one of the finest of all time, never mind this generation in my humble opinion, and to say that about him is limelight grabbing exercise.

I was actually wondering if McHugh was going to tell us what exactly his "two tricks" are, because they've been consistently fooling every defender in the country for the last 12 years. You'd imagine at least some of them would have been able to figure out such a 'basic' player by now.

Gooch is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Yes.

He threw a ball at him, lightly. Big deal.

There's a couple of minutes now could have been better spent with a preview of next weekends quarter finals.
    He was acting the pric k, and trying to provoke the lad into retaliating as he and alot of his Monaghan teammates routinely do. Real cowards actions.

Also, it was definately at least a yellow card-was Hughes on one already?- and if theres anything in the rules allowing a red for unsporting conduct I would have sent him off myself.

megadodge wrote: »
    I was actually wondering if McHugh was going to tell us what exactly his "two tricks" are, because they've been consistently fooling every defender in the country for the last 12 years. You'd imagine at least some of them would have been able to figure out such a 'basic' player by now.

Gooch is a genius.
    What is it with Paddies and the total unwillingness to allow any criticism of their Sacred Cows? It used to be the Catholic Church,now its the Gooch:pac:. Did you see Kevin Mc Stay and Des when McHugh said that-they totally **** in their pants with the thought of being associated with anyone saying anything negative about the Gooch. You think the gooch is the best player to ever play the game?-fair enough, disagree with the opinion and maybe give some evidence to support your argument, but dont soil yourself with outrage that someone else disagrees with you.

I dont really want to get into the whole gooch argument again, having said that I think "2 trick pony" is a bit extreme, even if your not his biggest fan.

harpsman wrote: »
    having said that I think "2 trick pony" is a bit extreme, even if your not his biggest fan.

That's my point, he was being a ****head saying that. Just trying to be controversial.

What is it with Paddies and the total unwillingness to allow any criticism of their Sacred Cows? It used to be the Catholic Church,now its the Gooch:pac:. Did you see Kevin Mc Stay and Des when McHugh said that-they totally **** in their pants with the thought of being associated with anyone saying anything negative about the Gooch. You think the gooch is the best player to ever play the game?-fair enough, disagree with the opinion and maybe give some evidence to support your argument, but dont soil yourself with outrage that someone else disagrees with you.

I dont really want to get into the whole gooch argument again, having said that I think "2 trick pony" is a bit extreme, even if your not his biggest fan.

Eh, McHugh didn't give any evidence to support his argument. He made a statement concerning a footballer that has only come to prominence in the last year stating he is better than a footballer who has been terrorising defenses for 12 years and is in many people's opinions (including mine) one of, if not the very best footballer to have ever lived. Since McHugh is the one going against the general consensus, the onus is most definitely on him to back up his words.

You even agree that the "two trick pony" comment was extreme and that's the only evidence McHugh gave, yet he didn't even expand on that to state what exactly these two tricks were.

Eh, McHugh didn't give any evidence to support his argument. He made a statement concerning a footballer that has only come to prominence in the last year stating he is better than a footballer who has been terrorising defenses for 12 years and is in many people's opinions (including mine) one of, if not the very best footballer to have ever lived. Since McHugh is the one going against the general consensus, the onus is most definitely on him to back up his words.

You even agree that the "two trick pony" comment was extreme and that's the only evidence McHugh gave, yet he didn't even expand on that to state what exactly these two tricks were.
    Yeah but he wasnt given a chance to expand on his statement because Des and Kevin became hysterical instead of asking the obvious question-"What do you mean a two trick pony".

It would appear that McHugh was tryin to stir things for whatever reason. However I believe that he had said "I think ODonoghue is a better player than Cooper" the reaction on TSG and on here would be the same.

BTW people compare players that have only been around a year or two to players that have had a full career all the time-they did it with Messi, they did it with Rooney, they did it with Rory McIlroy and many more- were you as outraged then? I personally agree it was premature in all these examples but lighten up-sure isnt it something to chat about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If his two tricks are "score loads" and "create loads", then that might be fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'm sure even the Gooch himself who's the best gaelic footballer I've ever seen in the flesh would admit that JOD has the potential to become one of the greatest footballers ever.Although he's a long,long way to go to prove himself measurable against the Gooch.

I like Gooch but I still rate Canavan ahead of him. J'OD could go on to rival both. Such a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Don't feed the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Mchugh as usual talking nonsense
    Can't stand him as a pundit or any article he has done.
    Mad for controversy
    Best just to ignore this recent statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Then why the hell is the extremely biased Martin Carney always co-commentating Mayo games?

I have to agree with you being a cork man that man is anti cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The Sunday Game is so stifled it can be annoying and frustrating. They set their agenda and the presents just won't challenge non sensical comments because he's following the script.

Regarding biased commentators - none worse than Donal O'Grady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Grats wrote: »
    The Sunday Game is so stifled it can be annoying and frustrating. They set their agenda and the presents just won't challenge non sensical comments because he's following the script.

Regarding biased commentators - none worse than Donal O'Grady.

He is poor even on tg4 in between the irish he still says 'you know' the whole time it sounds terribe

I generally find O'Rourke, Whelan, Spillane and even Brolly call the games very well with the big ball, and the small ball fellas are usually mediocre, but Donal Og is their best aquisition yet.

But that tool McHugh went above and beyond last night.

RTE need to look at this and take action. Then again, Ryle Nugent is in charge, this could be his plan! Another shobghite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

RTE seem to be going with having more and more recently retired players on the Sunday Game, such as Eddie Brennan, Tomas O'Se, Donal Og & Eamonn O'Hara. Some of them are better than others, but it seems as if RTE are veering away from the dinosaurs who last played the game 20 years ago & going with fresher voices.

Perhaps McHugh feels those new guys breathing down his neck and wanted to generate some controversy around himself to guarantee a more constant paycheck from Montrose. It is the only thing I can think of to explain his outburst. Given the great day out that James O'D had on Sunday, its only natural that people and pundits start to compare him to the other Kerry greats that went before him.

If McHugh thinks that JO'D had more talent at age 24 than CC did at the same age, that is fair enough. It is a perfectly valid thing to debate. I don't agree with it, but its not all that outrageous a thing to discuss. But to phrase his comments about CC the way that he did, it just makes him look like a monumental tit with an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Surprised O'Donoghue's 24, he came on the scene a little bit later than most great players. Galvin was around the same age when he nailed down his place for Kerry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

aveytare wrote: »
    Surprised O'Donoghue's 24, he came on the scene a little bit later than most great players. Galvin was around the same age when he nailed down his place for Kerry too.

He was on an under 21 team managed by an idiot who managed to lose by 22 points to Cork with a team containing 5 or 6 current Kerry Seniors, that was one thing that might have held him back for a bit. He got played half forward on that team. He has been on Kerry panel since 2011 though and came on in Munster final that year. He started by the end of 2012 and then exploded on the stage last year obviously.
    In general though he isn't unique in Kerry in terms of cementing a place on the team around that age. Marc O'Sé didn't start for Kerry in 2003 and only started once and for all from 2004 on. Galvin and Aidan O'Mahony the same in the same year. Aidan never started for Kerry minors when he was 18. His club mate Tom O'Sullivan never made a Kerry minor panel at all yet went to win 5 Celtic Crosses. He was in and out of Kerry teams from 2000 to 2004 but from 2004 on he was a fixture. It's one of the things we have to be greatful to Jack for, showing faith in all those guys from 2004 on.

• Advertisement

What is it with Paddies and the total unwillingness to allow any criticism of their Sacred Cows?...

Pointing out that the analysis was stupid is hardly "unwillingness to allow any criticism". No one is saying McHugh should be censored or anything, just that he made a remark that was patently silly. Indeed, you yourself criticise McHugh in labelling it "extreme" - is your rejection of his comments really any more valid than others?

Advertisement