Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options
  • 08-06-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Brendan Cummins making his debut (?) tonight (first time I've seen him on it anyway), doing a decent job but Loughnane taking over. Speaking of Loughnane, he made an interesting point about Johnny Ryan supposed to have gotten the AI replay last year but Cork not wanting him. Didn't know counties (or perhaps just Cork?) have such a say in things like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

THFC wrote: »
    Brendan Cummins making his debut (?) tonight (first time I've seen him on it anyway), doing a decent job but Loughnane taking over. Speaking of Loughnane, he made an interesting point about Johnny Ryan supposed to have gotten the AI replay last year but Cork not wanting him. Didn't know counties (or perhaps just Cork?) have such a say in things like that.

cough Frank Murphy cough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

He should be brought to book on that comment. When Cahill questioned him, he had absolutely no evidence to back up his allegations. Ridiculous to come out with something like that. You cannot use TV to make unsubstantiated allegations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Are these highlights supposed to be HD,they look atrocious .
    When are RTE going to have the ability to edit HD footage for highlights ,its a joke at this stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Why do they split the hurling coverage between the start and the very end? Just to annoy people I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Graphics showing the players names on the "analysis" section are poor. Smacks of doing it for the sake of it / cos that's what they do on match of the day. Poor imitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

eigrod wrote: »
    He should be brought to book on that comment. When Cahill questioned him, he had absolutely no evidence to back up his allegations. Ridiculous to come out with something like that. You cannot use TV to make unsubstantiated allegations like that.

I'd say he'll receive at least a verbal warning for that, depending on how the Cork County Board take I imagine (total speculation) it could be taken a lot further. It was silly to say the least, regardless of the authenticity of the statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Massive fan of Cummins and Loughnane wearing matching ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

adrian522 wrote: »
    Why do they split the hurling coverage between the start and the very end? Just to annoy people I guess.

To keep the hurling people watching the whole programe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I'd say he'll receive at least a verbal warning for that, depending on how the Cork County Board take I imagine (total speculation) it could be taken a lot further. It was silly to say the least, regardless of the authenticity of the statement.

I hope they do. They have every right to,Loughnane is showing himself to be a pure windbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Why would Cork have something against Johnny Ryan? I know hes terrible but so are most of them. James McGrath Id understand given Horgans sending off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

realies wrote: »
    To keep the hurling people watching the whole programe ??

I guess so, in my case I'll be more likely to record it in future and skip to the bits I'm interested in rather than watching for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Why would Cork have something against Johnny Ryan? I know hes terrible but so are most of them. James McGrath Id understand given Horgans sending off.

I'm at a loss as well. I checked what refs Cork had during all of the 2013 championship. Johnny Ryan wasn't in charge of any of their matches.

I'm at a loss as well. I checked what refs Cork had during all of the 2013 championship. Johnny Ryan wasn't in charge of any of their matches.

Sounds like he was stirring so. How did it come up anyway? Just on the red card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Sounds like he was stirring so. How did it come up anyway? Just on the red card?

They were talking about his performance iirc.

On another note I've been impressed with Tomas O' Sé, well able to speak!
    PaddyCar wrote: »
    Is Cavan Armagh game going to be on?
    Should be on next.

Edit: No, after the Clare - Waterford game. Must be a lot to discuss :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That fella reporting on the Armagh Cavan game sounds eerily like Tommy Gorman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

That fella reporting on the Armagh Cavan game sounds eerily like Tommy Gorman.

I think it was Tommy Gorman.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I think it was Tommy Gorman.
    I'm not sure, it said Austin O'Callaghan was the name of the reporter, Des also mentioned it was Austin's report, probably just an error on RTE's part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm not sure, it said Austin O'Callaghan was the name of the reporter, Des also mentioned it was Austin's report, probably just an error on RTE's part.

Your probably right.Austin O'Callaghan is the BBC's GAA presenter.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Loughnane was completely stirring - rubbish completely. Brian Gavin took charge of the first game, with James McGrath as the standby referee, the replay saw those two reverse roles for the replay, which is the norm afaik when replays happen in any game. Johnny Ryan was the linesman for both games. Probably got it from the fact that McGrath had sent Horgan off and it was reversed, so reckoned he would be easier on Cork having sent Horgan off in the Munster final rather than Ryan - load of rubbish tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Your probably right.Austin O'Callaghan is the BBC's GAA presenter.

It was Austin:

austin_blog_pic.jpg

RTE must not have bothered to send anyone up to Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Neeson wrote: »
    It was Austin:

RTE must not have bothered to send anyone up to Armagh.

What's the point? The BBC cover games up there, (it being the UK and all).

RTÉ take their coverage from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Cummins was on once before with Donal Og, think it was after the league final possibly.

I thought he was very good that night, very insightful and great at pointing out the tactics involved in each teams play.

Loughnane was stirring it as usual, he's great at generating controversy.

It was funny actually because he was saying a lot of positive stuff about Kilkenny and my instant thought was what is his end game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Cummins was on once before with Donal Og, think it was after the league final possibly.

I thought he was very good that night, very insightful and great at pointing out the tactics involved in each teams play.

Loughnane was stirring it as usual, he's great at generating controversy.

It was funny actually because he was saying a lot of positive stuff about Kilkenny and my instant thought was what is his end game :D

Just like many others, a sure sign that they think Kilkenny are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Ryan reffed the Cork v Waterford drawn game in 2010. he gave a very dubious free against Cork, late on when Brian Murphy went up to block a ball - it looked perfectly legal and everyone in Thurles was surprised that Ryan pinged him. Waterford were 3 pts down and went for goal, it was saved and Tony Browne goaled the rebound.

Big Dan got the winning goal in the replay. Ryan would not be a popular ref in Cork but neither would Barry Kelly, Brian Gavin (since Sept) Marty Duffy and Anthony Nolan.

I think it was bad form from Loughnane and Des Cahill should have pulled him up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Ryan reffed the Cork v Waterford drawn game in 2010. he gave a very dubious free against Cork, late on when Brian Murphy went up to block a ball - it looked perfectly legal and everyone in Thurles was surprised that Ryan pinged him. Waterford were 3 pts down and went for goal, it was saved and Tony Browne goaled the rebound.

I think the incident you're referring to is when Brian Murphy dragged Mullane down completely off the ball. Not sure how you've made it how to be a 'block'. I've never heard one cork person complain about that incident, well considering Murphy's reputation it would be hard to!

Big Dan got the winning goal in the replay. Ryan would not be a popular ref in Cork but neither would Barry Kelly, Brian Gavin (since Sept) Marty Duffy and Anthony Nolan.

I think it was bad form from Loughnane and Des Cahill should have pulled him up on it.

The very first time I saw him was 2008 when he allowed a square ball goal in Corks favour jn a league match in Walsh Park. Didn't realize he reffed the 2010 Minster final. To be honest hes very poor but in my opinion the only decent ref going is James Owens.

Agreed. He probably got the reaction he wanted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The very first time I saw him was 2008 when he allowed a square ball goal in Corks favour jn a league match in Walsh Park. Didn't realize he reffed the 2010 Minster final. To be honest hes very poor but in my opinion the only decent ref going is James Owens.

Agreed. He probably got the reaction he wanted though.

He didn't. Brian Gavin did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

James Owens allowed a Waterford square ball against Kilkenny last year and another one for Tipp in the League Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Barry Kelly had a major bearing on the outcome of KK Vs Cork last year. His decision was subsequently rescinded. If that didn't ingratiate him to the Cork fans nothing ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

citykat wrote: »
    Barry Kelly had a major bearing on the outcome of KK Vs Cork last year. His decision was subsequently rescinded. If that didn't ingratiate him to the Cork fans nothing ever will.

You are right - Kelly has gone up in the ratings on Leeside for that and another few games - his stock was low after some bad calls a few years ago.

Advertisement