Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

td's wont be allowed to take communion if they vote for abortion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

that's what pi$$es me off about the church, if they had any balls at all they would kick out homosexuals, divorcees, single mothers and single fathers....but they don't they pick and choose when it suits them...

Because they believe that you can be absolved and receive salvation through the church if you repent for your sins. Kicking somebody out would be to condemn them to hell, when underneath it all the church does want people to be saved through the grace of christ and the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It reads to me as a bit of a 'solo run'.

Have the hierarchy in Ireland made any comment since the wording was finalised?

Did you ever read the article?

Cardinal Burke is prefect of the Apostolic Signatura – the supreme authority on justice in the church apart from the Pope. He made the comments in an interview with the Irish 'Catholic Voice' newspaper.

Ergo - what he says goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

stupid church

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Someone can very much be a catholic, not support the RCC and believe in abortion.

No, they can't. They can be a christian, but not a catholic. If you disagree with the catholic church, you are not a catholic. Also, their interpretation of the bible supersedes yours, scripture is to be interpreted by the clergy and passed down to the masses, another basic piece of catholicism. If you want to interpret the bible for yourself, you aren't catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Karona wrote: »
    What a crock of sh*t!!

Seriously, are we gonna go back to the 1940's?? Are they gonna get rid of contraception because it is against catholic law.... we are a country not a church so we shouldn't have to follow another law that isn't the law of the land.

I think the TD's should tell the pope where to to.

Exactly. I'm sicked at the op. It's just another source of control for the RCC but it's making the jobs of tds much harder forcing them into choosing between their religion and christ and doing what's good for Ireland as in allowing women a choice for abortion if it's needed for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

RobertKK wrote: »
    Mary Magdalene was not an abortion practitioner.

No, but St. Brigid was
    Brigid, exercising with the most strength of her ineffable faith, blessed her, caused the fetus to disappear without coming to birth, and without pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

If a TD votes for abortion, then they TD is not a Catholic and is not a practrising Catholic.
    A person who says they are Catholic and who go to mass everyweek, is not a Catholic if they don't live a Catholic life.

Voting for abortion puts one in conflict with Catholicism.

just because the td are giving (non) religious people to get an abortion, does not mean the td would choose abortion for oneself.

giving other people a choice regarding other people's life can hardly be seen as sin. the church doesn't like people living together as a couple without getting married and still this is a legal option ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why not ban them from attending mass altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

kylith wrote: »
    No, but St. Brigid was

Could you expand on the source, please.

Doesn't say she passed anything, says it disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If a TD votes for abortion, then they TD is not a Catholic and is not a practrising Catholic.
    A person who says they are Catholic and who go to mass everyweek, is not a Catholic if they don't live a Catholic life.

Voting for abortion puts one in conflict with Catholicism.
    I have no problem with Christian living Christian lives, but they're morals have no place in the politics that run this country. I want my politicians to base their moral compass in this millennia not in a time of slavery and magic.

Just like if I employed an engineer I'd want him to know what he's doing rather than thinking a prayer was an important part of his engineering process.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why not ban them from attending mass altogether?

They should be excommunicated. We had hypocrites like the labour party doing church gate collections...

anna.fun wrote: »
    just because the td are giving (non) religious people to get an abortion, does not mean the td would choose abortion for oneself.

giving other people a choice regarding other people's life can hardly be seen as sin. the church doesn't like people living together as a couple without getting married and still this is a legal option ;)

Yes, and in catholic terms people who live together without being married are living in sin and should be refused communion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,109 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Always amusing how many Catholics know so little about Catholicism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

For **** sake. The church is the biggest joke of an organisation ever.

Plus so the **** what if the TD's can't commit cannibalism. That is a plus +1 in my book... :rolleyes:

SALE NOW ON. LIMITED TIME ONLY
    Any tds out there that want some high quality holy bread just pm me. Resurrected the dead lord myself and baked him into some home made bread. Guaranteed to be 2 times holier then church bread or your money back. And all for less money than you put into the church basket :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

orestes wrote: »
    Yes, and in catholic terms people who live together without being married are living in sin and should be refused communion.

So TDs should also be refused communion because they don't change the law, which makes living together as a couple legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They should be excommunicated. We had hypocrites like the labour party doing church gate collections...

When do Lab do church gate collections?

efb wrote: »
    When do Lab do church gate collections?

Well if you read the Sindo sting tapes you will see the irony...before and after mass once a year, same with FG and FF.
    Not sure if they did last year, but they did upto 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

They are no longer allowed to be a priest and are reported to the authorities.

The church has nothing against gays as people. It doesn't mean it has to swing in the wind to agree with your position on gay sex or marriage.

In relation to your first bit here:
    Ireland was under control of the RCC for decades and in recent years a lot of revelations came out on abuse.

What did the vatican do to offer compensation, can you tell me?

In your second bit, you contridicted yourself by saying the church has nothing against gay people, they only condemn gay sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Where do you think it 'disappeared' to? The incident was recorded by Cogitosus, and reported on http://choiceireland.blogspot.ie/2008/02/happy-st-brigids-day-irelands-first.html

In the middle ages abortion wasn't seen as a big deal at all, at least until the soul entered the foetus, i.e. when the baby started to kick. Even in the bible it's only punishable by a fine. Exodous 22-23

kylith wrote: »
    Where do you think it 'disappeared' to? The incident was recorded by Cogitosus, and reported on http://choiceireland.blogspot.ie/2008/02/happy-st-brigids-day-irelands-first.html

In the middle ages abortion wasn't seen as a big deal at all, at least until the soul entered the foetus, i.e. when the baby started to kick. Even in the bible it's only punishable by a fine. Exodous 22-23

Choiceireland - a very non biased source....

It says "he shall pay as the judges determine." it doesn't say a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

surely all they have to do is go to confession after and they are golden, right.

Piss poor threat by the intermediaries of the sky man.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

I think many TD's are actually scared to vote or speak in favour this bill because as we know it is the parishes and constituencies that will get them back into the Dáil. Imagine how many votes they would lose (especially from the elderly) if the Christians in the parish found out they were for abortion. Awful shcandle altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

As a pro-choice non-believer, I wouldn't be critical of the church for this. The Catholic Church is explicitly anti-abortion, seeing it as murder(most here including me won't agree, but that's besides the point), so it's a logical step to take action against those who are committing in their eyes one of the mortal sins. On another note, Sean Brady has today criticised the immorality of our new abortion law, stressing the importance of our existing civil law. Irony RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

an easy way to solve all this is to just outlaw the catholic 'religion' and seize its assets

• Advertisement

an easy way to solve all this is to just outlaw the catholic 'religion' and seize its assets

Eamon Gilmore would love to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

And I would applaud him for doing so. I'm getting mighty sick of men with collars who believe in supernatural beings having a national platform to spread their misogyny and be given air and TV time for pronouncements like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

so would i and the majority of the population im sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sarky wrote: »
    Always amusing how many Catholics know so little about Catholicism.

Non Catholics: Educating Catholics about the real aspects of their faith since "insert a long time ago here.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

so would i and the majority of the population im sure

Not too sure on that tbh.

Best way would be to have independent accountants look over the Church's books and deduct any 'profit' that they make once their charity is looked after.

A big trick was missed in not forcing the sale of any excess land a few years back mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

so they say nothing when scum like brady swears boys to secrecy yet are very quick out of the trap when it comes to them being upset

animals

Don't insult animals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

So is this special treatment recommended only for Irish TDs, or does it also impact politicians living in other predominantly Catholic countries with liberal abortion laws (which is pretty much every catholic country I can think of in Europe).
    I mean surely they must now be in the moral position of having to change these ungodly countries they all live in.

In fact I don't know how these priests can being themselves to live amongst all these murderous societies! Unbearable places they must be....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Call me Al wrote: »
    So is this special treatment recommended only for Irish TDs
    I've heard the vice president of the US (who is catholic), being threatened with it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

That's already been tried but it didn't work. Haven't you heard of the Penal Laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ScumLord wrote: »
    Just like if I employed an engineer I'd want him to know what he's doing rather than thinking a prayer was an important part of his engineering process.

I dunno, they did manage to build a boat big enough to hold enough of everything to respawn the planet with life. Out of wood. It shivers me timbers to hear someone ignore feats of biblical engineering so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

awec wrote: »
    It's also pretty hilarious that an organisation like the church is trying to take the moral high ground on this issue.

Is Sean Brady allowed to take communion?

They have "morals" when it suits.

Well, coercion and blackmail aren't mentioned specifically in the ten commandments so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

No mention on RTE about this as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kraggy wrote: »
    No mention on RTE about this as far as I can see.

Thats because....
    Bishops ‘have not discussed’ barring politicians from
    communion over abortion stance
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bishops-have-not-discussed-barring-politicians-from-communion-over-abortion-stance-29240306.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Has anyone a link to where the Catholic Church have said what is claimed in the OP?

Nodin wrote: »

I'm talking about the guy in Rome, not the Irish bishops.

Edit: As well as the Irish bishops i.e. I haven't seen anything about either on RTE. Just about Brady saying that aborition is immoral.

• Advertisement

dixiefly wrote: »
    Has anyone a link to where the Catholic Church have said what is claimed in the OP?

As far as I know, they didn't say it, and I'm fairly sure somebody would have noticed if they did. Also, my post before this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Bill them for payouts the victims of clerical child abuse received - that will soften their cough.

The church should realise its on thin ice and avoid political discourse.

Sadly though, no matter how much thin ice the Church is on they will always have a following. There's a reason the congregation are called sheep...all followng blindly no matter what happens.

They don't need to be low key or avoid political discourse...they have enough old women clutching crucifixes around the globe to keep them going and it has been like that for hundreds of years. They're here to stay unfortunately...we just need to diminish their power...first thing being...reduce the sway they hold in Ireland. For too long we've had the weight of this fairytale movement on our shoulders.

Am I right in assuming that the new legislation doesn't provide for somebody who has been raped and therefore she must have the baby unless she is suicidal?

Am I right in assuming that the new legislation doesn't provide for somebody who has been raped and therefore she must have the baby unless she is suicidal?

Correct.

Also the life of the mother has to be threatened, as distinct from the health.

Fatal foetal abnormalities aren't covered either.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/a-very-real-tragedy-behind-a-human-rights-case-230194.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

greenpilot wrote: »
    Just heard this on RTE. Is this the last gasp of a dying church?

Hope they die fast, they have really fukcd up the minds of too many people in this country especially any of us born in the 60's and before.

Good riddance, Saint Patrick and all your snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

greenpilot wrote: »
    Just heard this on RTE. Is this the last gasp of a dying church?

I do not like this present regime, but if they stand up to these perverts, and their sick child molesting views I may support them the next time out.

Nodin wrote: »
    Correct.

Also the life of the mother has to be threatened, as distinct from the health.

Fatal foetal abnormalities aren't covered either.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/a-very-real-tragedy-behind-a-human-rights-case-230194.html

I've just been reading the Guardian's article here http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/03/ireland-pro-choice-campaign-risk-prison

While reading it, at times I was thinking to myself, what sort of barbaric country would imprison people forr 14 years for handing out information about abortions in Britain? And then I remember that I'm reading about my own country.

Read the article in the link. It's ****ing ludicrous. Supposedly the women on the streets in Galway and Dublin who are handing out info this week could go to prison for up to 14 years merely for providing information. I didn't know this was the case. Is it a case that seeking information is allowed but providing it is not?

And also, the issues of rape and incest are not being dealt with in this legislation. What the actual..? And furthermore, women who have been told that their foetuses are not going to make much more than minutes of life after birth are still going to be forced to go through with their pregnancies all the way through birth. For what? Who does that benefit?

People reading about all of this in other countries must think we're the most backward shíthole on the entire planet.

Lost for words.

I've just been reading the Guardian's article here http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/03/ireland-pro-choice-campaign-risk-prison

While reading it, at times I was thinking to myself, what sort of barbaric country would imprison people forr 14 years for handing out information about abortions in Britain? And then I remember that I'm reading about my own country.

Read the article in the link. It's ****ing ludicrous. Supposedly the women on the streets in Galway and Dublin who are handing out info this week could go to prison for up to 14 years merely for providing information. I didn't know this was the case. Is it a case that seeking information is allowed but providing it is not?

And also, the issues of rape and incest are not being dealt with in this legislation. What the actual..? And furthermore, women who have been told that their foetuses are not going to make much more than minutes of life after birth are still going to be forced to go through with their pregnancies all the way through birth. For what? Who does that benefit?

People reading about all of this in other countries must think we're the most backward shíthole on the entire planet.

Lost for words.

It makes it a little easier to understand when you factor in that most of the population including our law makers were all brainwashed by the catholic church. Its great to see that most of the young people now are not accepting without questioning and thinking for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Hope they die fast, they have really fukcd up the minds of too many people in this country especially any of us born in the 60's and before.

Good riddance, Saint Patrick and all your snakes.

They aren't going anywhere imo, a worldwide religion with over 1 billion followers. I do hope that they reform, a new Vatican Council maybe to bring widespread meaningful change, It can happen but it will take a strong leader to do it. The problem in Rome is that the Curia tie up each conclave to ensure a new Pope doesn't ruffle any feathers, they're still seeding from John XXIII, nobody knew of his intentions when he was made Pope, they assumed he was a quiet old man who they could control

• Advertisement

They aren't going anywhere imo, a worldwide religion with over 1 billion followers. I do hope that they reform, a new Vatican Council maybe to bring widespread meaningful change, It can happen but it will take a strong leader to do it. The problem in Rome is that the Curia tie up each conclave to ensure a new Pope doesn't ruffle any feathers, they're still seeding from John XXIII, nobody knew of his intentions when he was made Pope, they assumed he was a quiet old man who they could control

Ye as much as I may dislike it "they" probably wont be going away any time soon.
    Maybe our alien ancesters will return to straighten it all out soon.

Advertisement