Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm going to assume that you don't need server software to run this? Would you be perfectly fine loading up a copy of Windows 10 on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'm going to assume that you don't need server software to run this? Would you be perfectly fine loading up a copy of Windows 10 on it?

yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The cashback terms say "this promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK".

I e-mailed eBuyer asking if they ship to Ireland, they said they
    "Unfortunately due to ourselves being a UK retailer, we only ship within the UK though I’m afraid.".

So you might complete the order through Parcel Motel... but potentially no guarantee you'd get the cash back offer of 55 quid sterling ?

Anyone else complete this new offer successfully ?
    It's a sweet deal if ye could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The cashback terms say "this promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK".

I e-mailed eBuyer asking if they ship to Ireland, they said they
    "Unfortunately due to ourselves being a UK retailer, we only ship within the UK though I’m afraid.".

So you might complete the order through Parcel Motel... but potentially no guarantee you'd get the cash back offer of 55 quid sterling ?

Anyone else complete this new offer successfully ?
    It's a sweet deal if ye could.

If you mail promotions@out-bound.co.uk then they will send you a Euro claim form. They will honour it even if it was bought in the UK as long as it wax bought from an authorised retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The other thing is trying to get EBuyer to deliver to Ireland. Unless something's changed, they used to automatically cancel orders made to Parcel Motel.

The other thing is trying to get EBuyer to deliver to Ireland. Unless something's changed, they used to automatically cancel orders made to Parcel Motel.

yeah.

I've tried 3 different UK sites with the deal.

eBuyer in this link, and also ServersDirect.co.uk and ServersPlus.com.
    While they accepted the Parcel Motel address in the North, they would only allow UK billing addresses via postcode or locked to "UK" country.

I e-mailed the HP Ireland shop to see if they would apply the cashback... worth an e-mail at least...
    http://www.hpshop.ie/hewlett-packard-enterprise-proliant-microserver-gen8-2-3ghz-g1610t-150w-ultra-micro-tower-819185-421-prod.html

If they brought the price down from €227 inc vat to around €164 inc vat (where £55 cashback is roughly €63) then I'd bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colhickey

Anybody having trouble because of ParcelMotel's address being in the north, AddressPal from An Post will provide a UK mainland address that then works just like Parcel Motel.

Might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

yeah.

I've tried 3 different UK sites with the deal.

eBuyer in this link, and also ServersDirect.co.uk and ServersPlus.com.
    While they accepted the Parcel Motel address in the North, they would only allow UK billing addresses via postcode or locked to "UK" country.

I e-mailed the HP Ireland shop to see if they would apply the cashback... worth an e-mail at least...
    http://www.hpshop.ie/hewlett-packard-enterprise-proliant-microserver-gen8-2-3ghz-g1610t-150w-ultra-micro-tower-819185-421-prod.html

If they brought the price down from €227 inc vat to around €164 inc vat (where £55 cashback is roughly €63) then I'd bite.

Servers Plus will ship to Ireland if you ring them, it's not that cheap though.

Using a postcode of BT1 1AA can work. I think it's the GPO in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

colhickey wrote: »
    Anybody having trouble because of ParcelMotel's address being in the north, AddressPal from An Post will provide a UK mainland address that then works just like Parcel Motel.

Might be worth a shot.

Looks like a flat rate €25 oversize fee:
    Where an item exceeds the maximum dimensions of 72cm X 31cm X 25cm, you will be contacted by An Post by phone. The item will be made available in your local delivery service unit and the cost for delivery will be €25.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

I've used ServersPlus several times, as said above just ring them up.
    They charge a 2% credit card surcharge and my last delivery cost £15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Also used Servers Plus and delivered direct to PM without issues.. Can't remember what billing address was used but I assume it was the same.. Why not use that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭randombar

You should put the squeeze on, if they dropped it another 10 I'd go with them myself I'd say.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    You should put the squeeze on, if they dropped it another 10 I'd go with them myself I'd say.

Yeah, I just see another €10 courier fee added to total. Or collect from Ballymount, Dublin for ~€3

• Advertisement

Drop 20 so I guess :D

If anyone is using one of the Gen 7 Microservers (N46L/N40L/N56L) I have built a new server and have the 8GB kit from my old server on adverts.

http://www.adverts.ie/other-peripherals/g-skill-8gb-ddr3-1333-cl9-0-dual-kit/11533450

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Don't need it.
    Just bought one.
    Now...
    What HDDs to use with it...? any recommendations...

iwantthat wrote: »
    Don't need it.
    Just bought one.
    Now...
    What HDDs to use with it...? any recommendations...

WD Red. Cheaper than the blacks and longer warranty than the green and designed for NAS use.

+1 for WD Red. I have four of them in my Microserver.

• Advertisement

Searched around...
    The cheapest i could source was from Amazon.co.uk.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008JJLXO6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1TB for 54.32stg. Ordered two.

stimpson wrote: »
    WD Red. Cheaper than the blacks and longer warranty than the green and designed for NAS use.

3tb for £98 is much better value.

Would I need two drives or 1 is sufficient.

Would I need two drives or 1 is sufficient.

Depends. You could put one drive in but then you have 0 redundancy. For a server it may be best to run a RAID solution with multiple drives. Up to you at the end of the day of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi all,
    I want to purchase this and run RAID 1 with 2 x 1TB HDD's

Any additional hardware required? (apart from HDD's, obviously)

Many thanks.

-Edit- BTW, don't actually want to run MS Server. Can I install Win7 pro and still have RAID functionality?

Guys, i'm about to send a list on to one of the lads who wants to build one of these.

Can anyone send me a link (Amazon / eBay or similar) of another compatible 4GB RAM for this? I'm not sure what is / is not compatible. (we want 8GB in total)

Thanks.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Guys, i'm about to send a list on to one of the lads who wants to build one of these.

Can anyone send me a link (Amazon / eBay or similar) of another compatible 4GB RAM for this? I'm not sure what is / is not compatible. (we want 8GB in total)

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware any ECC RAM should work. I recall buying a budget model and it works fine.

I bought these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064R7LH8/r

I've ordered now but does anyone know where there's a spare molex coming from the PSU? Want to power an SSD up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008EM9GVA/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

-- edit

Sorry, you're looking for 4GB. Use crucial advisor to find the correct model number. DON'T buy any memory, only one that is confirmed to work...

You can order from them directly, shipping is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

This may be of some use to you. scroll down the first post to see what ram works and go from there.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008EM9GVA/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

-- edit

Sorry, you're looking for 4GB. Use crucial advisor to find the correct model number. DON'T buy any memory, only one that is confirmed to work...

You can order from them directly, shipping is free.

-Edit- Sent a link to the guy purchasing for a 4GB from Crucial direct, many thanks.

Will a pair of samsung 8gb 2rx4 pc3l 10600r Fit in these.

Will a pair of samsung 8gb 2rx4 pc3l 10600r Fit in these.

They have to be ecc for the newer micro server.

Can someone send me a link for nice cheap ram? Just want another 4 for now.

Wondering should I go freenas or ubuntu on this one now.

Also should I go hardware raid or software raid?

Setting up as a nas with sickrage, plex etc. etc.

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/proliant-microserver-gen8/CT4487639

Ubuntu 16.04, which comes with ZFS support. Personally I've found GUI on FreeNAS very buggy.

The only thing that does not work under linux are NFSv4 ACLs - Linux kernel doesn't understand them. POSIX ACLs can be enabled (but will work only on Linux) by writing them to extended attributes.

Don't use the quasi-hardware RAID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're goin HW RAID a UPS is a must really, with software RAID you can get away with.

By the sounds of it you've not done much homework on this, it'll be worth doing your homework now so you can set it and forget it.

well I had ubuntu on an old one and I was able to configure it for what I needed.

I forgot that the raid on those machines isn't really hardware raid so I wouldn't be getting a performance boost.

From a performance perspective as well I'm wondering if Ubuntu would run better, i.e. my understanding with freenas is the files for sick rage would be stored on the raid rather than on the ssd that the os would be on, surely it would be better to run them off the ssd the os is on.

well I had ubuntu on an old one and I was able to configure it for what I needed.

I forgot that the raid on those machines isn't really hardware raid so I wouldn't be getting a performance boost.

From a performance perspective as well I'm wondering if Ubuntu would run better, i.e. my understanding with freenas is the files for sick rage would be stored on the raid rather than on the ssd that the os would be on, surely it would be better to run them off the ssd the os is on.

Performance of ZFS on Linux and ZFS on FreeBSD is comparable. You can add L2ARC and ZIL devices the same way, so there is nothing to be gained.

Another question - why would you install the OS on a SSD? With applications like that, the typical OS installation medium is the uSD card - there is even a slot on the MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ED E wrote: »
    If you're goin HW RAID a UPS is a must really, with software RAID you can get away with.

Would a raid controller with BBU be sufficient?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

where do people buy these nowadays ,with the best price and cash back ?

Also looking at specs it seems really poor hp with stock celeron cpu,have couple pcs,and one has 4gb ddr3 ram plenty of sata ports not sure might be 3gb/s ones,also cpu is dual core intel 5700 3ghz 2mb cache 775 socket and 500wat psu

So question should i just get couple hdds and play with it,since looking to get into server side/nas for learning and home network-now psu is overkill on existing machine so need smth smaller in wattage,otherwise is there any other advantages that would warrant getting one,instead of using old pc that has almost better spec in general? thx

scamalert wrote: »

Also looking at specs it seems really poor hp with stock celeron cpu,have couple pcs,and one has 4gb ddr3 ram plenty of sata ports not sure might be 3gb/s ones,also cpu is dual core intel 5700 3ghz 2mb cache 775 socket and 500wat psu

So question should i just get couple hdds and play with it,since looking to get into server side/nas for learning and home network-now psu is overkill on existing machine so need smth smaller in wattage,otherwise is there any other advantages that would warrant getting one,instead of using old pc that has almost better spec in general? thx

And a €65 cashback offer https://jrit-offers.ext.hpe.com/ie/en/pdf/HPE-ProLiant-MicroServer-Gen8-Offer.pdf

So €165 after cash back

For me it's great because of the low power and form factor.

I'd definitely play with what you have first but this is my second outing with the microserver. Great piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

thx GaryCocs ,yes power factor is major player when running 24/7 ,will see maybe eventually they will release gen 9 which seems way overdue now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

scamalert wrote: »

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hpe-proliant-gen8-intel-celeron-g1610t-dual-core-2.30ghz-2mb-4-x-non-hotplu-819185-421/version.asp?refsource=Ldadwords&gclid=CjwKEAjwnebABRCjpvr13dHL8DsSJABB-ILJZrZ2cWS8U2EaNEi1U_nDQ5_UqRooAt8lKPCCF9K7wBoCx2Xw_wcB&tduid=5f39c66adbc6abc609215945e9532ddb&utm_source=HotUKDeals_1018132&utm_medium=tradedoubler

Available for €120 + delivery after cashback

Mine just arrived, building tomorrow...

Just a quick question...

I'll be installing Win 7 Pro for a friend. Can anyone point me to the SATA drivers so that the Win 7 installation will pick up the Disk volume? Can I just stick these on the USB flash drive and then search for drivers when prompted? Cheers.

To install a SSD in ODD bay, what cable i do need if any and how to make the connection.
    I am setting up one for the first time with 16gb ram + 2 x 3tb wd reds + 120gb ssd.
    I don't really have a clear idea what i want to setup it up as but i am looking into setting up an Amahi server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

To install a SSD in ODD bay, what cable i do need if any and how to make the connection.
    I am setting up one for the first time with 16gb ram + 2 x 3tb wd reds + 120gb ssd.
    I don't really have a clear idea what i want to setup it up as but i am looking into setting up an Amahi server.

You'll need a floppy to SATA power adapter and then a regular SATA data cable to connect to the internal port.

Hi all,
    I want to upgrade CPU to this Xeon: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e3-1240-v5-s-1151-skylake-quad-core-35ghz-39ghz-turbo-8mb-cache-35x-ratio-80w-cpu-retail

Will there be any compatibility issues?

I notice that CPU states 80w - would this be too much of a load for the standard CPU?

Hi all,
    I want to upgrade CPU to this Xeon: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e3-1240-v5-s-1151-skylake-quad-core-35ghz-39ghz-turbo-8mb-cache-35x-ratio-80w-cpu-retail

Will there be any compatibility issues?

I notice that CPU states 80w - would this be too much of a load for the standard CPU?

Microserver is an 1155 socket - that CPU won't work.

This page has a list of CPU's that should work

https://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

• Advertisement
Advertisement