Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭longpuck

Clareman wrote: »
    He's not a mod in this forum, mods are normal users in forums where they don't mod, even where they do mod they are only normal users with a few extra buttons to click.

If a user doesn't want to answer a question, they don't have to. If a user has a problem with a post, they can report it

The only promlem i have is why comment if your not going to give an answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

longpuck wrote: »
    The only promlem i have is why comment if your not going to give an answer?

The comment and post was bitter. The question was loaded and impossible to answer. Very simple to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SigersonCup

I was down in Midleton last night. They were playing Na Piarsaighs in the League.

Piarsaighs beat them by around 6/7 points. From what I saw last night Piarsaighs will give Sars a good run in the Championship.

The only player that Midleton were missing was Conor Lehane and Luke Farrell also went off after around 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's a huge "only" for Midleton. Were Tom Wallis, Seamus O Farrell and Killian Burke playing?

gpf101 wrote: »
    That's a huge "only" for Midleton. Were Tom Wallis, Seamus O Farrell and Killian Burke playing?

Yes, they were the only 2 missing. Jamie Nagle played aswell and was shocking. It amazes me that he's on the Cork Senior Panel.

Aswell, Piarsaighs were missing John Gardiner and Robert Healy(probably their best man-marker and half back.)

Ya Midleton really don't seem to be going well at all this year. Lehane in top form would be a good tonic for them though and they don't have the worst draw, they could still push on. Nagle was good for the U21's last Friday but I haven't really seen Cork senior form from him. He's not for writing off yet though.

How did Haughney play?

Ya Midleton really don't seem to be going well at all this year. Lehane in top form would be a good tonic for them though and they don't have the worst draw, they could still push on. Nagle was good for the U21's last Friday but I haven't really seen Cork senior form from him. He's not for writing off yet though.

How did Haughney play?

I would say he got around 2 points, got a lot of ball but had a few bad wide's.

Midleton will be fine, don't worry about them. League matches are largely beside the point and Na Piarsigh won't have as strong a first 15 as Midleton when it comes to championship.

Orizio wrote: »
    Midleton will be fine, don't worry about them. League matches are largely beside the point and Na Piarsigh won't have as strong a first 15 as Midleton when it comes to championship.

We'll see. I guarantee you that if they met in the Championship, which they won't because the Glen(as bad as they are) will beat Midleton easily.

There's a load of hype about Midleton and they've done nothing to prove it.

• Advertisement

The Glen and Midleton are far superior to Na Piarsigh, and the hype surrounding Midleton comes from the fact that they have by far the strongest underage set up in the county along with a lot of the counties best prospects.

I can't help but notice you haven't bothered to return to the U-21 thread on proc after Friday night's victory btw.

Did Midleton not beat Na Piarsaigh and the ultimate winners Sars in last years championship? Bizarre comments to be honest.

Midleton and the Glen are superior to Piarsaighs?

Strange seeing as Piarsaighs beat both of them this year well.

As we're talking about youth set-up's..in a few year's the Glen will be down struggling against relegation, mark my word's. Their under-age is the worst ever.

Na Piarsaigh are a good side but Midleton did beat them in the championship last year. That's the game that matters. Your putting too much weight on league form.

Na Piarsaigh are a good side but Midleton did beat them in the championship last year. That's the game that matters. Your putting too much weight on league form.

That match last year, Piarsaighs gave away a silly goal that day. Their defence is a lot tighter now.

Aswell I'm not sure if you would remember but Midleton were 1 point up late enough in the second half and Piarsaighs had just got a few scores and the momentum was with them. Then Piarsaighs had a sideline and Mark Prendergast tried a short pass to Darren Mannix and it went straight to a Midleton forward who put 2 points between them again, after that it was all over.

If Piarsaighs end up meeting them again, they'll show who's the better side.

We'll see! Granted Midleton aren't going great this year but there is potential for a great team there.

• Advertisement

Midleton and the Glen are superior to Piarsaighs?

Strange seeing as Piarsaighs beat both of them this year well.

As we're talking about youth set-up's..in a few year's the Glen will be down struggling against relegation, mark my word's. Their under-age is the worst ever.

No one cares about the league old chap, if you are using the league to justify any argument in a GAA discussion then you are heading down the wrong path. And I didn't say anything about the Glen's underage set up, just pointing out where people's expectations regarding Midleton are coming from.

No one cares about the league old chap, if you are using the league to justify any argument in a GAA discussion then you are heading down the wrong path. And I didn't say anything about the Glen's underage set up, just pointing out where people's expectations regarding Midleton are coming from.

We'll just wait and see what happens.

The comment and post was bitter. The question was loaded and impossible to answer. Very simple to understand.

Alot of comments by people hear about Walsh and McCarthy could be considered bitter yet you and others dont find it impossible to answer or comment on that, i wonder why that is?

It seemd a very easy question to answer if you ask me

longpuck wrote: »
    Alot of comments by people hear about Walsh and McCarthy could be considered bitter yet you and others dont find it impossible to answer or comment on that, i wonder why that is?

It seemd a very easy question to answer if you ask me

We've moved on now, please stop boring me.

We'll just wait and see what happens.

As an aside, what is your problem with the Glen underage? A quick look through Rebel Og suggests they are holding their own underage.

• Advertisement

We've moved on now, please stop boring me.

Again no answer surprise surprise

Orizio Moderators on most threads (im sure you do it too) keep at someone till they get the answer they want but i bet its not so nice when someone does it to you now is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Get a room lads!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Get a room lads!

Eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Eh?

There seems to be alot of posts between the two of you about answering questions .... commenting....moving on.....not answering comments...blah blah blah...would have thought that was obvious.....apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Back to Cork GAA matters I read earlier that the clubs have till August 2nd to give their suggestions on a hurling manager to the county board. Walsh's days look numbered so a new manager is on the cards.

Tomas Mulcahy would be a popular choice but he'll probably stay with RTE. No harm to see the County board acting with immediate effect on this rather than letting it drag on till the winter.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Back to Cork GAA matters I read earlier that the clubs have till August 2nd to give their suggestions on a hurling manager to the county board. Walsh's days look numbered so a new manager is on the cards.

Tomas Mulcahy would be a popular choice but he'll probably stay with RTE. No harm to see the County board acting with immediate effect on this rather than letting it drag on till the winter.

I would imagine Muller is quite happy where he is at RTE but unfortunately I think it will drag on till the winter, the CB have a habit of dragging things on a bit. Not sure who I would like .... O'Grady would be my first choice but he is busy elsewhere unfortuntely. Who would people like in charge? Who is available? ( Presuming Walsh will be replaced )

I would imagine Muller is quite happy where he is at RTE but unfortunately I think it will drag on till the winter, the CB have a habit of dragging things on a bit. Not sure who I would like .... O'Grady would be my first choice but he is busy elsewhere unfortuntely. Who would people like in charge? Who is available? ( Presuming Walsh will be replaced )
    Hard to know who'll take over. I doubt their will be too many participants eager to become manager! Has anyone ever considered a manager from outside the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

From looking at media reports today it seems Limerick want O Grady to stay on for one more year after this year. If the county board have any sense they should approach him asap and offer him the job. Give him a carte blanche, total control over team and management affairs with the promise of no interference. O Grady is an autocrat, it's his way or no way and that's what Cork hurling needs. This system about inviting all the clubs in the county to offer ideas as well as input from players as to the selection process for the new manager will not work IMO, the saying "too many cooks" springs to mind. Time for someone to grab the bull by the horns and impose themselves as the leader of Cork hurling. If O Grady doesn't get the job, personally I would like to see Ger Cunningham or Ger Fitz be appointed, both great servants to Cork hurling all their lives.

Hard to know who'll take over. I doubt their will be too many participants eager to become manager! Has anyone ever considered a manager from outside the county?

Personally I would not like to see an outside manager come in, there are enough coaches in Cork that are well able to do the job

• Advertisement

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    From looking at media reports today it seems Limerick want O Grady to stay on for one more year after this year. If the county board have any sense they should approach him asap and offer him the job. Give him a carte blanche, total control over team and management affairs with the promise of no interference. O Grady is an autocrat, it's his way or no way and that's what Cork hurling needs. This system about inviting all the clubs in the county to offer ideas as well as input from players as to the selection process for the new manager will not work IMO, the saying "too many cooks" springs to mind. Time for someone to grab the bull by the horns and impose themselves as the leader of Cork hurling. If O Grady doesn't get the job, personally I would like to see Ger Cunningham or Ger Fitz be appointed, both great servants to Cork hurling all their lives.
    I'd like Ger Fitz but I'm sure some will try and stop this because of his close ties with Gearld Mac. John Considine is another who'd give 100% to the job I'm sure.

I think there will be alot of interested people in the job, the Cork hurling manager is still one of the top profile jobs to have. I doubt they will go looking outside the county....that might depend on who is available within the county of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I'd like Ger Fitz but I'm sure some will try and stop this because of his close ties with Gearld Mac. John Considine is another who'd give 100% to the job I'm sure.

To give John Considine his due, he did actually coach a team to bet Kerry at underage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joeabu

Cork employ a outside coach for hurling???? Your having a laugh. There would be riots in the streets.. And Considine isnt up to senior county management. The likes of brian corcoran need to be approached. Someone who the young hurlers in the county can relate to and be inspired to play for.

Well it seems a manager outside the county isn't required for Cork judging by the replies I got and I'm not surprised with that reaction,I put it out there to see if it was something that hurling fans in the county would consider but no is the answer. Will be interesting whoever gets the job if Walsh is replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Cant see people lining up in their droves for the hurling job.I'd wait to see how Ger Fitzgerald does with the u21s and maybe we could do what Tipp did with Liam Sheedy if he does well.Sheedy was manager of Tipp Intermediates for a spell and won a minor All-Ireland with Tipp too so maybe promoting from within is a good system to follow.

Just seen the Cork team for Saturday night's game, I'm hoping against hope that he doesn't start with this 15, Cadogan is a much better full back than Canty, Cotter should be playing in the corner. This is a very slick Down forward line we're playing against, living up here in Down I can tell you the locals are more than happy with the way our defence is selected, believe me guys and girls these fellas are really up for this one. We're gona have to be really sharp on Saturday night, otherwise we'll be beaten. Glad to see Gould get his chance, he's been knocking on the door for a while, granted he starts because of our injuries but I hope he cements his place on the team. I'll get the ball rolling on predictions, Cork to win but they may need extra time to get over the line.

Just seen the Cork team for Saturday night's game, I'm hoping against hope that he doesn't start with this 15, Cadogan is a much better full back than Canty, Cotter should be playing in the corner. This is a very slick Down forward line we're playing against, living up here in Down I can tell you the locals are more than happy with the way our defence is selected, believe me guys and girls these fellas are really up for this one. We're gona have to be really sharp on Saturday night, otherwise we'll be beaten. Glad to see Gould get his chance, he's been knocking on the door for a while, granted he starts because of our injuries but I hope he cements his place on the team. I'll get the ball rolling on predictions, Cork to win but they may need extra time to get over the line.

According to tonights Echo Kissane and Jamie O Sullivan will make way for Cotter and Cadogan.Shields will switch to 3 with Cotter and Cadogan at 2 & 4.Miskella will pick up Danny Hughes.Be interesting to see if Clarke gets the roaming role or whether he will stick to 15 like against Antrim.If he does start to roam you'd imagine Noel O' Leary would be the one to pick him up given the job he did on him last year.Canty is expected to play at 6.I think Cork should have enough to win this game by 1 or 2 points.Hopefully without ET as the Q/F will be on the weekend after.

Well said Rebel Fan. I really think Cork have a hard battle on their hands and I expect a very tight game like last year's All Ireland final with Cork scraping home by a point or 2 and as you said possibly extra time will be needed for Cork to get over the winning line.

• Advertisement

Well said Rebel Fan. I really think Cork have a hard battle on their hands and I expect a very tight game like last year's All Ireland final with Cork scraping home by a point or 2 and as you said possibly extra time will be needed for Cork to get over the winning line.

I can see Cork winning this one by 5 or 6. As commented, Canty at 6 and Shields starting makes our defence look a lot better. As for our forwards, they will surely enjoy alot of posession in the wide open spaces of Croker and will make enough progress over the 70 odd mins to make it count. I'm not expecting as tight a game as last September as I think Down peaked for that. Neither team will peak on Saturday but Cork's overall strength and experience I think will see us through. There is no doubt Down will put it up to us but I cannot see them beating us unless we have a sending off or someting - here's hoping!!!!

I can see Cork winning this one by 5 or 6. As commented, Canty at 6 and Shields starting makes our defence look a lot better. As for our forwards, they will surely enjoy alot of posession in the wide open spaces of Croker and will make enough progress over the 70 odd mins to make it count. I'm not expecting as tight a game as last September as I think Down peaked for that. Neither team will peak on Saturday but Cork's overall strength and experience I think will see us through. There is no doubt Down will put it up to us but I cannot see them beating us unless we have a sending off or someting - here's hoping!!!!
    Hope your right with your prediction ShamoBuc! This round last year was the game against Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds and what a nervy tight game that turned out to be! I was standing in the sitting room watching extra time roaring at the telly trying to get the rebels over the winning line:D!

Hope your right with your prediction ShamoBuc! This round last year was the game against Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds and what a nervy tight game that turned out to be! I was standing in the sitting room watching extra time roaring at the telly trying to get the rebels over the winning line:D!

LOL...SO WAS I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly felt that (once we got through) that this was our year. We really should have lost that one but I think it was the makings of Sam returning - Down knocking Kerry out probably helped but I would love a crack off Kerry in Croke Park this year - if someone knocks them out in the meantime, I won't be too disappointed though;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

Lads, we could have done with yer support that night against Limerick - poor turn out that nite at the gaelic grounds

I think we should be fearful of down. Seen highlights of their game at the weekend and they looked like a team with momentum. Since sheehan and murphy have been ruled out for Cork, I believe the suggestion that we have strenghth in depth maybe a bit over optimistic. However, Cork on their day are a hard team to beat, and if that is the team that turns up we should get over the line.

Not too sure about Canty. What a legend, but unsure a s to whether he has the legs for a big wide open space like croker

crebel81 wrote: »
    Lads, we could have done with yer support that night against Limerick - poor turn out that nite at the gaelic grounds

I think we should be fearful of down. Seen highlights of their game at the weekend and they looked like a team with momentum. Since sheehan and murphy have been ruled out for Cork, I believe the suggestion that we have strenghth in depth maybe a bit over optimistic. However, Cork on their day are a hard team to beat, and if that is the team that turns up we should get over the line.

Not too sure about Canty. What a legend, but unsure a s to whether he has the legs for a big wide open space like croker

Fair comment. I was supposed to travel with the bro but something came up, he also said that there was a poor turn out that night.

As for Canty I reckon if he starts at centre back he'll be ok. He can read the game well and appears in the right spot more often than not, I wouldn't be too worried about him.

Was unemployed last summer so didn't make any of the games. Going on holidays Saturday so will be cheering them on Saturday evening with a pint to calm my nerves!

• Advertisement

I'd definitely be happier with Canty at 6 rather than at 3.You only have to look at the two halves in Killarney to see why.Also think Shields best position is 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Down will require total respect...I have bad feeling about it, but if Cork do play well it should be enough with few points to spare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

Fair comment. I was supposed to travel with the bro but something came up, he also said that there was a poor turn out that night.

As for Canty I reckon if he starts at centre back he'll be ok. He can read the game well and appears in the right spot more often than not, I wouldn't be too worried about him.

Dont worry lads, ive missed games in my time too

I hope Canty has a good game, because he is a great player...lets hope conor gets the match ups right :)

Dont worry lads, ive missed games in my time too

I hope Canty has a good game, because he is a great player...lets hope conor gets the match ups right :)

I've missed plenty but I normally travel with the bro - who went to every football championship match last year. He felt last year was going to be our year and wasn't going to miss a single game - to be fair he said the same the year before!! Being around a pool fan so long must be rubbing off:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Why not drop Canty and Jamie ? Bring in Cadogan and Cotter have Shields at full back I am a big Canty fan but I have to admit his legs are slowing down, and would fear for him in Croke park, but a great impact sub to come on.

Is Anthony Lynch still on the panel or where has he gone ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement