Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ditching a PS3 before the arrival of Persona 5 is an unspeakable premature act.

Not that I think disposing of any console is a wise idea, unless you really really need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I traded in my 360 a few months ago. Barely played it over the last few years as I mostly just stuck to the PS3. Was tempted to give Titanfall a go on it, but just thought f*ck it. My Gold Membership had expired and I just became disinterested in Titanfall anyway.

No way am I getting rid of my PS3 though. Between all the free games I got with PS+, the Borderlands Pre-Sequel, and playing media files from my external hard drive, I'll be keeping it for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Penn wrote: »
    and playing media files from my external hard drive, I'll be keeping it for a while yet.

Wish i knew about this before I shelled out on a Media Player :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ditching a PS3 before the arrival of Persona 5 is an unspeakable premature act.

Not that I think disposing of any console is a wise idea, unless you really really need the money.

I regret selling my PS1 to buy a PS2 when I was young, don't plan on selling any of them ever again (Traded a pre-HDMI 360 but that doesn't count).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I was actually planing to write a big post about my experience with wii u, but decided not to bother as I doubt my opinion matters to anyone here lol.
    All I will say about wii u, that I am in love with it as a console. I don't know what it is about it, but when I start it up it feels like an actual gaming console and brings me back to my youth. I can't explain it properly... I just love everything about it, from sound effects and background music, to ability to turn on game or app with the tablet controller without a need to load up actual OS software.
    If you ask me, Wii U is actually the only console that is next gen out there. I want my multiplatform games on wii u now.

Only played 2 games,on it though. Monster Hunter and Mariokart 8. I am in love with Monster hunter and it is so much better then 3ds version, but mariokart 8 is a mixed bag. It's a lot of fun local Co-op with a few cans, but other then that I can't see myself playing it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I was actually planing to write a big post about my experience with wii u, but decided not to bother as I doubt my opinion matters to anyone here lol.
    All I will say about wii u, that I am in love with it as a console. I don't know what it is about it, but when I start it up it feels like an actual gaming console and brings me back to my youth. I can't explain it properly... I just love everything about it, from sound effects and background music, to ability to turn on game or app with the tablet controller without a need to load up actual OS software.
    If you ask me, Wii U is actually the only console that is next gen out there. I want my multiplatform games on wii u now.

Only played 2 games,on it though. Monster Hunter and Mariokart 8. I am in love with Monster hunter and it is so much better then 3ds version, but mariokart 8 is a mixed bag. It's a lot of fun local Co-op with a few cans, but other then that I can't see myself playing it at all.

One of us,one of us :P

youve changed your tune:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Wii U is wonderful for many reasons, but multiplatform games are going to be fast left behind as the more technically ambitious games get released for the other consoles. Nintendo are wizards in many respects and they will make the most out of hardware (indeed, many Wii U games already do), but even they're not going to be able to force the levels of detail we're going to start seeing into a much less powerful consoles. Given the small userbase, it's not even going to be worthwhile for developers to even try creating compromised versions.

As ever, I'm happy with Nintendo consoles being for Nintendo games, and whatever third party exclusives they manage to negotiate.

NTMK wrote: »
    One of us,one of us :P

youve changed your tune:pac:

Not really, I always said that wii u is a good choice to go with ps4/xbox one or pc. Just because I want my multiplatform games on it, does not mean I will get them as third party publishers are not interested in wii u. Saying that there are enough games for me ( dude who does not really care about first party stuff) to play. A good few coming out too.
    I just really like the console itself after I used it. Nintendo first party gamed is different topic, so far mariokart could not convince me that it's not overhyped franchise.

I do have respect to Nintendo for being the last console that is actually keeping local multiplayer and not just keeping it, but focusing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Not really, I always said that wii u is a good choice to go with ps4/xbox one or pc. Just because I want my multiplatform games on it, does not mean I will get them as third party publishers are not interested in wii u. Saying that there are enough games for me ( dude who does not really care about first party stuff) to play. A good few coming out too.
    I just really like the console itself after I used it. Nintendo first party gamed is different topic, so far mariokart could not convince me that it's not overhyped franchise.

I do have respect to Nintendo for being the last console that is actually keeping local multiplayer and not just keeping it, but focusing on it.

Think Mario Kart has the fanbase it has because it has always been mostly enjoyed by a group of friends wacking each other with red shells, by yourself the enjoyment factor might dip and in terms of kart racers mario kart is the best in the genre imo.

Oh yeah, one more thing I actually love about nintendo and Wii U.

When you buy a game for Wii U, you just come to a counter and ask for a game for wii U. There is no: Would you like No balls edition, Small cheap balls edition or " I have more money then sense to buy Biggest balls edition with a statue of whistles and Frankfurter sausage DLC".

Mariokart 8 has a Limited edition, but there is no Preorder exclusive content bull**** and just a small premium price on top from standard game and you get something Fun in a form of Physical small item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Oh yeah, one more thing I actually love about nintendo and Wii U.

When you buy a game for Wii U, you just come to a counter and ask for a game for wii U. There is no: Would you like No balls edition, Small cheap balls edition or " I have more money then sense to buy Biggest balls edition with a statue of whistles and Frankfurter sausage DLC".

Mariokart 8 has a Limited edition, but there is no Preorder exclusive content bull**** and just a small premium price on top from standard game and you get something Fun in a form of Physical small item.

If it actually had third party games it'd get the same treatment as others. :rolleyes::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone addicted to the buy now, trade in, buy again later cycle is a fool and should be spat at on the street
    It's a good thing I don't know anyone like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone addicted to the buy now, trade in, buy again later cycle is a fool and should be spat at on the street
    It's a good thing I don't know anyone like that....

I am terrible for that, mainly regarding to games though.

I tend to buy now, complete them, trade them in and buy later digitally
    although I'd only ever rebuy them if their worth the buy.
    As for consoles, I use to be bad for it, but decided to keep everything I have from last gen to this gen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I may have been referring to myself in that post actually, it's a bad habit I have to break.
    Case and point, I bought Steel Battalion with the ninja controller for the Xbox some 10/12 years ago, and loved it, then sold it in a fit of madness....
    Just bought it again the other day, should have it next week, will gather dust but.... it's so damn awesome!!!
    Steel-Battalion-Controller.jpg
    0015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I remember seeing that reduced to about €40 quid in HMV at one stage.

Ambitious idea, that...

Trying to get €40 for it... :pac:

Grayditch wrote: »
    I remember seeing that reduced to about €40 quid in HMV at one stage.

Ambitious idea, that...

Trying to get €40 for it... :pac:

You'll need an original Xbox to run it, a chipped one won't do it, I had to install a switch on mine to run it, and it's incredible.
    It really has to be played to be believed, the Arcade and Retro forum Beers used to include a session of it and it was a well received blast.
    Looking forward to having it up and running for the next Beers in August!
    I was never so gutted at the utter tripe of the Kinect based Steel Battalion title for the 360.
    A broken load of rubbish, and a sad end to any chance of seeing the original franchise vision being remade for the current machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It was a Concorde moment in terms of console controllers. Never will we see the likes again, for better or for worse.

The Resident Evil 4 chainsaw controller was totally unusable but brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The Resident Evil 4 chainsaw controller was totally unusable but brilliant.

Wow, that's a new one on me. :eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Destiny confirmed at 1080p on Xbox One. Here's the first video footage of Destiny @ 1080p on XB1.

The gap is narrowing :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Steel-Battalion-Controller.jpg

This looks savage, how much was it to buy ?? I can imagine this controller, with a serious headset and Occulus Rift would make for a hell of an experience for blowing your senses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

miju wrote: »
    This looks savage, how much was it to buy ?? I can imagine this controller, with a serious headset and Occulus Rift would make for a hell of an experience for blowing your senses

How are you going to see it with a rift on? I'd imagine that'd involve a hell of a lot of fumbling about.

miju wrote: »

I got a great deal on mine, just 50 euro, but it's coming in for free from the UK.
    And even without VR, on a big enough screen and a darkened room, with the volume up you'll be right there.
    Even the start up sequence is cool.
    An Xbox controller port is a remodelled USB port, there are adaptors out there for turning one into the other, so it's perfectly plausible to get it running on PC and integrated into a game with something like Xpadder.
    One stick is fully free to move, operating the vertical tanks gun, the other is side to side only, controlling steering, the pedals are for throttle, brake and a short slide pedal is there too.
    There are gears to select and weapons buttons as well as radio and window washer buttons, and the all important eject, glowing red beneath a cover, it's amazing stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

How are you going to see it with a rift on? I'd imagine that'd involve a hell of a lot of fumbling about.

Exactly my point. **** this things gonna blow where is eject , boooom. Would be hella fun Id say

Controllers like that woupd make Occulus, Morpheus and MSs project alot more involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

If there was an in-game overlay, that'd solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If there was an in-game overlay, that'd solve it.

Yeh kinda obvious.. Just tilt your head down with the rift on and there's a VR version of your massive command station. Maybe a calibration system developed to sync the physical one with the VR one would be an idea. Would be awesome and i'm sure doable.

Sorry for the above being so off topic.
    I hope to have the PS4 soon, it that drags my posts back to relevancy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

the ps4 virtual reality headset when is it available? what is it called? any idea what price will be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

the ps4 virtual reality headset when is it available? what is it called? any idea what price will be?
    PS4's Project Morpheus VR device won't launch in 2014, $1000 price point unlikely

PlayStation president of Worldwide Studios rules out 2014 launch date for head-mounted display, says you shouldn't expect to pay $1000.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-s-project-morpheus-vr-device-won-t-launch-in-2014-1000-price-point-unlikely/1100-6418418/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Destiny confirmed at 1080p on Xbox One. Here's the first video footage of Destiny @ 1080p on XB1.

The gap is narrowing :D

Frame rate drops and v sync tearing on that video?

Yeah the gap is getting bigger from what my eyes are telling me....

The 2.40 mark in particular...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement