Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Creator Challenge

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have the feeling the Comic Challenge has slipped from people's minds to an extent, so I'm going to extend the deadline for Round 12 to the 14th of September. I won't be able to sort out publishing the updates before then anyway so I'd rather give people more of a chance to take part. As ever, email your entries to fyshbowlcomics(a)gmail.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Dam so how meny people have submitted ?
    do you think its due to it being on the new sub forum ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've had several entries for this round, which will be updated over the weekend.

While we wait for that, what theme are we interested in next? Ztoical mentioned the idea of being inspired by songs, which is a very good idea - I'd chiefly avoided it having seen the kerfuffle caused when the guy who does Sluggy Freelance incorporated the lyrics to a Pink Floyd song in his strip and then had to remove them. (The issue being that the lyrics to a song are considered the intellectual property of the band/song author, and thus should not be reproduced or used without permission, although some bands care more about this than others).

I thought of two possible versions of this - either a round of comics inspired by well-known songs (where the song name can be mentioned but the lyrics cannot be used) or a round of comics based on songs by unsigned bands (where the song name and lyrics can be used, though preferably with the permission of the band involved). I like the second option simply because each comic could be accompanied by a link to the unsigned band in question and thus expose people to new music that they might not otherwise hear about. But it's nowhere near as easy as the first version, plus comics inspired by better-known songs are probably easier to make...

So that's one option that will be used at some point. What other options are there? The recent announcement of the upcoming Marvel Noir series got me thinking, and the idea of reinventing well-known characters could be a possibility - an albeit risky one, since legally it can only be done if:
    a) the character/s are public domain, or
    b) the reinvention falls under the fair use/parody clause (and even then I don't think that flies very well outside the US, so that might be out).

Another possibility would be something like "What happened at point x?", based on films - essentially a comic-strip "deleted scene" for a film of your choice. Again, potentially awkward but also interesting.

We can also use very specific things - Cliodhna's GOAL anthology shows that with a good choice of title, you can get a lot of interpretations out of a single starting point. Suggestions for titles are always welcome :)

I'm wary of themes that are overly restrictive, and one thing that I think has become apparent over time is that the formal restrictions I'd initially wanted to play with don't really work as I'd hoped. I'd hoped that thematic restrictions like having a round of silent comics or requiring people to use a particular colour would encourage creativity, but it seems not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Looking forward to seeing this rounds comics - have to admit I couldn't come up with anything for the theme and a project I'm working on at the moment a very similar theme has come up and I'm like ahhhh.

I was going to suggest for one challenge, maybe not this next one but down the road, to do something like the project rooftop and get people to do a redesign of a comic book character. I know the point of the comic creator challenge is to get people doing actually comic stories but it might be something different and a nice intro for people who maybe don't have time to do a full story but could have time to do a pin up character redesign.

On the base it on a song idea, I think its more interesting and a challenge to get people to do a comic on a song where they can't use any of the lyrics so they really have to think about it rather then being super literal with the lyrics.

Some other ideas maybe for future challenges - Food, everyone do a comic about making your fav dish or a questions challenge where everyone who is taking part asks a question for one of the other artists to draw a comic for their answer.

Right, the latest round is online now. I'm thinking the next round will start in October, but given that there's quite a bit on in October (Free Irish Comic Day, 24 Hour Comic Day, etc) I'll leave Round 13 run until the end of November. No theme set yet, so post up suggestions and we'll pick one in the next few days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Good stuff this round, thought TBH I'm not suprised only 4 people entered. It's a very specific theme, and perhaps people don't have any interesting memories related to school or such. I'm still only in secondary (6th year), but so far school-life for me has been pretty bland...
    I'll definetely enter the next round though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Fysh wrote: »
    Right, the latest round is online now. I'm thinking the next round will start in October, but given that there's quite a bit on in October (Free Irish Comic Day, 24 Hour Comic Day, etc) I'll leave Round 13 run until the end of November. No theme set yet, so post up suggestions and we'll pick one in the next few days...

hay eh why is there a link to a home page under my comic that isnt mine :confused: cause i dont have a clue who or what longstonecomics are :confused: nothing to do with me.

Anyway suprised only 4 entered bit of a let down i was looking forward to seeing a lot of entries in it this time it seemed like a topic everyone could get into and fairly open ended.

Love your robot one for the metal work class there all well done nice work guys/gal's .

Lone Stone wrote: »
    hay eh why is there a link to a home page under my comic that isnt mine :confused: cause i dont have a clue who or what longstonecomics are :confused: nothing to do with me.

Argh, that would be my mistake :o Sorry, I must have mis-remembered your username while sorting out the updates and assumed that you were connected to them. I've removed the link now.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    Anyway suprised only 4 entered bit of a let down i was looking forward to seeing a lot of entries in it this time it seemed like a topic everyone could get into and fairly open ended.

Love your robot one for the metal work class there all well done nice work guys/gal's .

I was a bit disappointed too, but a few people did email me to say that unfortunately they'd been unexpectedly busy with other work and wouldn't have time to put something together for this round. With any luck it'll just be a seasonal thing :)

I second your comments on Ronan's entry, it is brilliant as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed too, but a few people did email me to say that unfortunately they'd been unexpectedly busy with other work and wouldn't have time to put something together for this round. With any luck it'll just be a seasonal thing :)

I think its just that time of year - end of august/start of september tends to be busy for alot of people. I have to say the theme just did nothing for me this time round. Sometimes you find the themes you think offer so much room turn out to be the ones people find the most restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Firstly, thanks for the kind words- glad you liked my effort (true story of course)
    Secondly, yeah, busy time for all concerned this time of year, and perhaps not the most inspiring theme, but we are only talking about 1 page!
    Regarding suggestions for next round, I reckon keep it simple- how about using the title of your favourite song by your favourite band as the title of your comic, and so that no copyright is infringed, no lyrics allowed!! This could yield very interesting results altogether.
    Thirdly, if anyone wants to build the Robot in my story, the blue-prints are available HERE

Looking forward to all the comic madness coming up over the next few months!:D:D

• Advertisement

Howdy gang, as I mentioned to one or two people at 24 Hour Comics Day, the next round of the challenge runs from the start of November to the end of December. It's a bit longer than usual but that's because the theme, by popular demand, is a song of your choice. The only rule? You can't use the lyrics in the piece. Let us know what song you've chosen and who it's by, but don't use the lyrics in the actual comic. Beyond that, make it as long or as short as you like.

On a separate note, I'd appreciate it if all future submissions were sent at 300dpi or higher. JPEG is still fine, although if you specifically want to use another image format knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

So... say if I choose "The End" by The Doors, I'd have to base what's in my comic on the theme of "The End", and not what the song is about?

Saruwatari wrote: »
    So... say if I choose "The End" by The Doors, I'd have to base what's in my comic on the theme of "The End", and not what the song is about?

The comic should be inspired by the song, be that specifically the lyrics or just a general feeling you get from the song. The ban on using the lyrics (ie no dialogue lifted directly from the lyrics or caption boxes with the lyrics) is down to the dubious legality of doing so - I know of at least one webcomic artist who was contacted about his use of a high-profile band's lyrics in his comic and he ended up having to remove the lyrics from the relevant pages, so I'd rather avoid that issue.

Alright gang, Round 13 has started. Pick a song - any song you like, doesn't have to be recent or famous - and make a comic based on or inspired by that song. Outside of the band name and/or song title, you can't use any text from the song lyrics. Beyond that, everything is fair game.

Please send all submissions to fyshbowlcomics(a)gmail.com, preferably as 300dpi JPEGs, by 31st December.

I'm in for this one Fysh. My title is 'The Mollusk' by ween. I'll have it to you by the time Santa drops by your house!

Excellent stuff Ronan :) Also, Mindpuss issue 1 eh? Brilliant stuff - I look forward to it already!

Yeah, I think it's about time! 24 pages- 3 stories. Oooh. :D

I'll be sending out an email about this shortly, but a few people have mentioned that they'd find more time useful for this round, so I'm going to extend the deadline to midnight on January 18th.

Round 13's entries are now online!

Seven entries this time around, although not really since two of them were single-page "joke" entries of mine. That said, Alan Nolan and Philip Barrett both sent in comics as well as a newcomer by the name of James Newell, so all in all there's a lot to like this time around.

I'll start a thread in the next day or two for discussing the entries and giving feedback/constructive criticism. I'll also post up a CBR file containing all the comics for those who want to read them all in one go.

Ha ha - some great stuff as usual- nice to see Phil with an entry this time round: awesome as ever!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Gah, had planned on drawing a strip for this. Awful slow there, right. Can i post one tomorrow, eh? Bob Byrne 24 hour comic style lateness but without the talent.

These are great fun to read while listening to the linked tracks. Good theme with plenty of variety. Barrett's is amazing solid cartooning, what a sonofabitch. "Lets go get lost again" by Fysh would have been the best strip -panel one page 4 is beautifully executed- but for the lense flare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

****in hell, just copped this post and Phil Barrett's strip is superb!!

This was the song I was singing along to at the top of my voice when I wrote off my car a couple of years ago. But thanks to Phil I have learned to love again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

When's next round?

This status update is long overdue and I'm sorry for the delay. As is patently obvious from the radio silence from me in the last few months, it's on hiatus at the moment. I do plan on bringing it back again, but I want to work out a long-term plan and put together a proper website before that happens. Obviously this will take a bit of time and that's time I just haven't had recently. Realistically at this point I'm aiming to have things picking up again at the start of the year.

In the meantime, anyone in Dublin itching for a comic challenge fix should check out the Dublin Comic Jam, and anyone outside of Dublin should consider starting a similar venture in their area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 junkyman

Hey guys, Im new here, name is Stu! I'm the co-writer of a comic book which is still in the story stage as the story is HUGE! I would be interested to hear some opinions but unfortunately the drawings are still in the design stage. Will you accept text only or does it have to be both? :)

Advertisement