Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish oral!

Options
  • 25-03-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

How's everyone feeling about this oral creeping up on us? Any hints on how to break awkward silences if you don't understand what the hell the examiner is saying to you? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I'm feeling quite happy about it; I can speak Irish as fluently as English. I have no problems with it whatsoever :)
    I guess respond with what they have said and ask for clarification; that's a good way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

earwax_man wrote: »
    I'm feeling quite happy about it; I can speak Irish as fluently as English. I have no problems with it whatsoever :)
    I guess respond with what they have said and ask for clarification; that's a good way :)
    Well for some! I can hardly put two words of Irish together :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

just say ''Ni thuigim an cheist'' :) ''I don't understand the question'' if you're unsure. Hopefully I'll have the sanme examiner as for the mock she was really nice, which are few and far between! She marked them quite hard though - I thought I got at least a C in mine, it went quite well - two weeks later I find out i got only 42% in it. :D

GaryIrv93 wrote: »

just say ''Ni thuigim an cheist'' :) ''I don't understand the question'' if you're unsure. Hopefully I'll have the sanme examiner as for the mock she was really nice, which are few and far between! She marked them quite hard though - I thought I got at least a C in mine, it went quite well - two weeks later I find out i got only 42% in it. :D

Would you lose much marks for saying that? We didn't do a mock oral in our school so the oral coming up will be my first and last ever :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

FinnD wrote: »
    Would you lose much marks for saying that? We didn't do a mock oral in our school so the oral coming up will be my first and last ever :L

Wow really? We did orals for fifth year summer and Christmas tests and for the mocks, it really helps and you know exactly what to expect. :/

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »

Wow really? We did orals for fifth year summer and Christmas tests and for the mocks, it really helps and you know exactly what to expect. :/

Yeh, it's ridiculous! Im not using Irish for points but I still want to do well in the oral so I can concentrate on other subjects coming up to the leaving? What general topics did your school get asked? The book can only bring you so far :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I wouldn't say so, as long as you can say that you don't understand in Irish. It's better than simply staring blank-faced at the examiner when she ask's a question. Another thing - the anxiety in the minutes leading up to the exam are the worst, but once you go in and start speaking, all of it just flies out the window :). So I'm not really worried about it. You also must do some revision - I didn't do much for mine and put it off until the last minute. Then even when I thought it went well, I only got 42% in the end, because I did hardly any study. It'll pay off if you do.

Poems are all right, the general stuff isn't too bad, but the picture sequences - I have 20 to learn, and only one will come up. Absolutely ridiculous having to study 20, a huge waste of tiem. There should be a maximum of 10, but hey, it's Ireland's education system so I'm not surprised :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Does anyone have any useful websites/links/videos in relation to the Sraith Pictiúri? In my practise Oral Exam, I found that to be the most frustrating, awkward pause-y part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Does anyone have any useful websites/links/videos in relation to the Sraith Pictiúri? In my practise Oral Exam, I found that to be the most frustrating, awkward pause-y part.

isfeidirleat.ie is amazing for the pictures ! Had my Irish oral mock yesterday and got 80/80 in the pictures because of this website ! One word of advice dont go over board with the pictures ie spend too much time on them in the oral as the examiner told me that the general conversation will be shorter and will take off marks !

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Bhuel, táim ceart go leor ach beagánín néirbhíseach chun a fhírinne a rá..

At least I can't make spelling mistakes in the oral (although pronunciation is worryingly important),

Níl mé réidh ar chor ar bith :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im screwed for the oral.
    Those 20 sraith pictuiri are a load of B*******, we havent even half of them done yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

haro124 wrote: »
    isfeidirleat.ie is amazing for the pictures ! Had my Irish oral mock yesterday and got 80/80 in the pictures because of this website ! One word of advice dont go over board with the pictures ie spend too much time on them in the oral as the examiner told me that the general conversation will be shorter and will take off marks !

This^^
    Very handy website, has saved me alot of work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I went onto the site but the downloads only had a few questions..Is that it?

David1994 wrote: »
    They have all 20 pictures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

http://www.scoilnet.ie/ScruduBeil2012.shtm

http://irishstudysite.com/

Tbh you just need to keep it simple. Know your verbs and the key vocab for each picture. There's a lot of work involved in it but time constraints will mean that you can't spend too much time on it. Most of the marks are going for your communication so make sure you can keep describing the pictures. Don't forget about the questions portion. There's an easy 10 marks to be gained there.

David1994 wrote: »
    They have all 20 pictures ?
    The worst picture by far is timpiste!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Hi,

Does anyone know have you to discuss the pictures like a story or are you literally just saying what you see in them?

Does the examiner ask you to say it in a certain tense or can you just say it all in past tense?

The print outs I got are all "general" for ex.
    "Cuireann bean óg fios ar na seirbhísí éigeandála".

I am trying to write out my own answers but I can't understand what I should be doing. I did a mock oral and she said I did it perfect all in past tense but didn't say enough, got 30/80.

I am really confused about what to say, am I supposed to mix tenses, stay in one tense or what?
    As a mature student the teacher can't tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lady365

shellita wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know have you to discuss the pictures like a story or are you literally just saying what you see in them?

Does the examiner ask you to say it in a certain tense or can you just say it all in past tense?

I am trying to write out my own answers but I can't understand what I should be doing. I did a mock oral and she said I did it perfect all in past tense but didn't say enough, got 30/80.

I am really confused about what to say, am I supposed to mix tenses, stay in one tense or what?

hey you can say it in any tense you want but stay in one!!!!.. the past tense is usually the easiest option.. Our irish teacher told us to learn about 3-4 sentences on each one and we had a mock oral and everyone nearly got full marks... I just learn the key words or phrases aswell of 3 questions to ask examiner on each one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Hi,

As I see it you should tell the story instead of just describing what you see, and you can use any tense you like, though the future tense might be a bit weird. :P I like the present tense myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Hi,

going by what it says here it's just past or present tense that you can answer in. Also can be in the first or third person.

link http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Ceisteanna_a_ardaiodh_faoin_BT_Ardteiste_2012.pdf

16.Cén aimsir ina mbeidh an cur síos?
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Is é rogha an iarrthóra é. Glacfar le cur síos san Aimsir Láithreach nó san Aimsir Chaite. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]17. Cén pearsa ina mbeidh an cur síos?
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Glacfar le cur síos sa chéad nó sa tríú pearsa. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

For the questions bit, what are you really expected to ask? I know it can be as simple as 'how many boys are in this picture' but thats just stupid. I generally ask things like, in Timpiste for example, after I said the guard thought the man was drunk I asked my teacher if she thought he was drunk. Is that a bad idea? I mean, if you can get away with such basic questions any eejit can get 10 marks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Patchy~ wrote: »
    For the questions bit, what are you really expected to ask? I know it can be as simple as 'how many boys are in this picture' but thats just stupid. I generally ask things like, in Timpiste for example, after I said the guard thought the man was drunk I asked my teacher if she thought he was drunk. Is that a bad idea? I mean, if you can get away with such basic questions any eejit can get 10 marks :confused:

The questions do not have to be difficult. Basic questions with correct grammar are fine. You only get 5 for asking though. The other 5 go for answering questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

http://www.scoilnet.ie/ScruduBeil2012.shtm

http://irishstudysite.com/

Tbh you just need to keep it simple. Know your verbs and the key vocab for each picture. There's a lot of work involved in it but time constraints will mean that you can't spend too much time on it. Most of the marks are going for your communication so make sure you can keep describing the pictures. Don't forget about the questions portion. There's an easy 10 marks to be gained there.

Finding that first link really helpful, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

as I'm an external student with no teacher to ask just out of interest
    what topics are ye covering in schools i've done the usual me fein, mo theaglach etc.. but just curious to see what ye are doing in the schools particularly modh chonnilodh questions... can't even spell that right oh god this is going to be a disaster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

frulewis wrote: »
    as I'm an external student with no teacher to ask just out of interest
    what topics are ye covering in schools i've done the usual me fein, mo theaglach etc.. but just curious to see what ye are doing in the schools particularly modh chonnilodh questions... can't even spell that right oh god this is going to be a disaster!!

If you're doing higher level, you'll might want to do some saol an lae inniu stuff, on unemployment, emigration, alcohol, etc. (If you haven't already), then you can fit it a few modh coinniollach pieces on what you'd do if you were taoiseach/minister

These orals are going to be bant, ta siad ag tnuth go mor liom chun a bheith macanta libh. I have no idea if that made sense...

Namlub wrote: »
    If you're doing higher level, you'll might want to do some saol an lae inniu stuff, on unemployment, emigration, alcohol, etc. (If you haven't already), then you can fit it a few modh coinniollach pieces on what you'd do if you were taoiseach/minister

These orals are going to be bant, ta siad ag tnuth go mor liom chun a bheith macanta libh. I have no idea if that made sense...
    Think it should be 'ta me ag tnuth go mor leo' :P

Completely forgot about the modh connyhuienjmk. Meh.
    I got 220 in my mock but like...I just know they'll ask me some extremely awkward question :rolleyes: Here's hoping I can steer the general conversation the way I always do... >_>

No, the orals are looking forward to me cos I'm awesome :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

rkeano5 wrote: »
    Bhuel, táim ceart go leor ach beagánín néirbhíseach chun a fhírinne a rá..
    (

Haha, our oral examiner in the mock had a word with us about this, she said it was the most overused sentence in the oral and to definitely not say it because everyone says it!! I admit to saying that exact sentence myself :P

One other thing, did anyone here have a really abstract conversation? Ours was extremely basic with all the simple questions and I'm a bit puzzled in that will the actual thing be like this?:confused:

Wesc. wrote: »
    Haha, our oral examiner in the mock had a word with us about this, she said it was the most overused sentence in the oral and to definitely not say it because everyone says it!! I admit to saying that exact sentence myself :P

One other thing, did anyone here have a really abstract conversation? Ours was extremely basic with all the simple questions and I'm a bit puzzled in that will the actual thing be like this?:confused:
    Me too :confused: What happened in my mock mock oral was I mentioned having a twin sister and while she was all 'oohhhh! :D' I launched into how its helpful because she does HL Irish too and things like that, about school :pac: In my mock oral it went kind of the same, just talked about universities...no social problems, the conversation just never went that way and there was never any need for it to. If you show you can use all the tenses and accurate Irish I think they just let it be a natural conversation :)

• Advertisement

I'd say it depends on the examiner tbh, some probably go with the flow of the conversation more than others. Like for my pre oral I was in the middle of talking about Leaving Cert pressure and she interrepted me to to ask about the problems of the health service...,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement