Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

170km solo today. Fine weather but bloody tough on your own. A shot of caffeine in Blessington on the way home worked wonders!:)

Many, many cyclists out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Did 105km today on my own too, I had nicked a course off Strava and stuck it on the garmin, worked pretty well, after Bellewstown climb (steep side) I just couldn't get any rhythm, today I was the nail for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Who would have won in a fight back in the day, Hinault or Kelly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

happytramp wrote: »
    Who would have won in a fight back in the day, Hinault or Kelly?

Kelly with a 'Brogue Kick'! Oh sorry.....watching way too much WWE Smackdown.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

To the truffle-hunter who nearly took me out in Blackrock this morning:

The lights had turned orange, all the cars were coming to a stop. Your friend decided that as the light had just turned red, could safely go through.

You, travelling a few seconds behind, decided that even though the light had been red for some time (in traffic terms) and that even though my light had gone green, you could still continue to power through and almost tackle me to the ground.

I was not some boulder to be skidded around, nor was the red light prompting you to hammer it into oncoming traffic.

Make no mistake, had I not been at the top of that queue, but a trigger-happy motorist waiting to gun it on green, you would be spending your morning in different circumstances, at best.

Don't be an idiot, if you want to take your own life in your hands on the trails, be my guest.

Just stop at red ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Any damage done to yourself Dirk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Junior wrote: »
    Any damage done to yourself Dirk ?

Thank God no, I stopped in horror and he sort of swerved behind me and around me without even slowing down...straight toward the cars.

I'm sure he thinks he has awesome mountain biking skills, but testing them out in traffic is not on.

Not sure what would have happened if he had hit me, I was wearing a helmet so at least my hair wouldn't have taken any damage. But he would have totally t-boned me and no doubt it would have been nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

1LlNY.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I rode through Manor Kildride yesterday while mass was on in the local church. There were cars scattered everywhere, apparently considerate parking is anti-christian or something. Outside of the church were standing quite a few sinners, their heads leaning forward and to the side in that odd way that I only associate with Catholic mass-goers. It's some wierd body language, the downward head bit seems to convey a guilty expression of "I'm a sinner, I'm a disgrace", the head tilted sideways bit seems to convey a feisty attitude of "but fukkit, I don't care". I haven't been to mass in years, but I suspect years of "training" in my youth would cause me to instantly adopt the same manner myself if I went back.

Anyway, the priest's voice was booming out onto the road, presumably there is a loudspeaker at the church entrance. I could hear every word as I went past, which made me shudder a bit - the priest obviously came from the same training academy as the priests in my parents' parish 'cos his voice and delivery were laced with the same patronising tones that I associate with trips to the church in my childhood. It made me think though, the circumstances were perfect for drive-through mass. And then I wondered whether I'd just been subjected to cycle-through mass and whether my soul was now saved as a result (I used to be an altar boy, bless me, but I've since strayed). Maybe I had been transformed into a better person all of a sudden.

It seems that I was destined to put that to the test. A few minutes later, a woman in a car coming the other way decided to overtake the cyclist in front of her. She pulled right over to my side of the road, and drove straight at me. She passed within a couple of feet of me, at speed. If she'd had a sticker on a car it would have read "How's your Christian charity?". Well, I didn't lob a water bottle at her car (there was no time), so one gold catholic star for me. I did utter "sweet Jesus" though, which could be construed as loud and spontaneous worship, though the tone wasn't entirely one of celebration, and the single raised finger that I was at pains to attract her attention to probably set a less than forgiving tone too. Maybe my heart was indeed still filled with the love of god, but it was beating so hard that it was difficult to say.

Roll on the next test. Coming down from Sallygap at speed I was almost in the middle of a big mound of gravel on a bend before it even became visible. The "Ffffuuuuccckkkk!" that I uttered almost cancelled out the gold star from earlier, but I reckoned that the pope himself would have been rattled in the circumstances so I applied some self-christian charity and forgave myself. Two bends later though and despite the fact that a cautious pedestrian on the other side of the road had stepped completely off the road and anto the verge, a car coming up the hill decided that it should swing completely over to my side of the road and away from the pedestrian "just in case". That left me with sod-all space and certainly not enough space to pick a line on the bend that would allow me to get round the corner without ending up on my ear on the other side of the ditch. It also wasn't clear that I wouldn't pile head first into the car, given that they were still drifting further over to me side. I hauled on the brakes. It didn't seem like it would be enough. So I invoked the devil's braking incantation. There was no disguising it this time, my "Jeeesuusss Chriiiiiist!" was quite clearly hollered in a blasphemic tone. I didn't even add a "please" to the "SHOVE OVERRRRR!" that I yelled immediately afterwards. The car driver looked entirely unworried. I made it round the bend, just.

That answered the question then, my soul hadn't been saved, I remained a god-less sinner. So I embraced the fact, and as I came down Cruagh Road I mumbled various profanities to myself about the car driver ahead of me who drove the whole thing with his brake lights permanently on. Annoying feckin' thing about car brake lights, they give no indication of whether the driver is lightly pushing on the brake pedal or trying to drive the pedal through the floor of the car, so you've got little warning of whether the car is slowing gently or stopping suddenly. Staying far enough back is the only way to deal with that dilemma, but on a road where you are freewheeling faster than the big jalopy in front of you is moving, things get tricky to say the least. And when the road rises upwards, and you are still freewheeling faster than the car in front, it goes from tricky to downright annoying.

So on the next downhill bit, when another car pulled out from a side road in front of me and pretty much stopped dead while they searched for the make-car-go-vroom pedal, I was well primed for a heathen outburst. I couldn't actually be bothered though, I was just resigned to the situation by then, so after hauling on the brakes all I could bring myself to do was to throw my hands up in the air in that universal "what are ye like?" manner. The car driver actually stuck their hand up to acknowledge it though, which was a pleasant surprise, so the ride actually finished on a positive note. Well, mostly positive, the fact that I'll eventually burn in the fires of hell takes some of the shine off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

doozerie wrote: »
    I reckoned that the pope himself would have been rattled in the circumstances
    Thanks for the mental image of Benny on a bike :D I wonder if himself and Christ (on a bike) are in the same club... The Holy Rollers perhaps? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I raise your oncoming car passing out cyclist to two oncoming large articulated trucks have a drag race side-by-side with no intention of getting back to their side of the road as I passed them. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was doing a charity cycle in Galway yesterday and a big group of us overtook 3 Gardaí on their bikes yesterday. They were really struggling ..... it was great!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was doing a charity cycle in Galway yesterday and a big group of us overtook 3 Gardaí on their bikes yesterday. They were really struggling ..... it was great!! :D:D

I hope you did it in single file.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I raise your oncoming car passing out cyclist to two oncoming large articulated trucks have a drag race side-by-side with no intention of getting back to their side of the road as I passed them. :mad:

McAuliffe Trucking? :p

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Winter gloves and balaclava arrived tonight, looking forward to going out on the bike and not freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

No wonder the wife has taken up cycling, she's on about entering the TdF next year..

225497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Didn't want to start a thread all on its own for this as its just a quick question.

I'v never had a road bike before but have been given an old Peugeot PSN 10 road bike and want to use it as my current bike is temporarily out of commission. The pump I use for my mountain bike doesn't seem to fit. Is there a special pump I have to get? Can anyone point me in the right direction as I'm a complete novice when it comes to bike parts etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Presta valve usually

Any bicycle shop should lend you their pump and that should sort you.

You can get a valve adaptor which should fit your pump, should cost €1 or €2 from your local bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

BX 19 wrote: »
    Presta valve usually

Any bicycle shop should lend you their pump and that should sort you.
    Dónal wrote: »
    You can get a valve adaptor which should fit your pump, should cost €1 or €2 from your local bike shop.

Thanks for the quick reply's. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭Colmhayden76

Just wanted to put this up if people could pass it around to any one who you might know who it affects.
    Willier have issued a recall on all izoard xp front forks issued between Oct 2011 to 19th oct 2012 due to a potental failure where the carbon meets the aluminum steerer.
    What Willier have requested is that the bike is returned to the dealer who can check the serial no against the batch list of faulty ones. if found to be dodgey Willier will replace it F.O.C.

It only affects the Izoard XP and none other in the range so my cento Uno is fine but the wife aint happy with the thought of a trek up to Howth from Waterford!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a spare tyre from a new wheel, so decided to throw it on my commuter bike as I thought, not my usuals, but should be fine.
    Front wheel nearly came from under me going down Dundrum hill, and then I punctured before I got to work.

Moral of the story, if you have something that works, don't change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

8115912181_bd3f7fac21_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Idiots out in force tonight!

It started off with a woman giving me a lecture over not having any reflective clothing or reflectors on the bicycle, despite having reflective piping on my shoes and jacket, 2 headlights (one on full beam (400 lumens) and one flashing (200 lumens)) and a tail light. I treated her with the disdain she deserved.

I then had an artic overtake me only to pull in and stop after barely getting past me.

This was followed immediately by a smidsy from an oriental woman who never even bothered to look my way (until I shouted) as she pulled out of a side road in front of me. At least she put up an apologetic hand to acknowledge her error.

Lastly, I was overtaken by a minibus taxi, 10 metres short of a speed ramp, who could not complete the pass because of slowing for the ramp which I negotiated at full speed. In the process he brought approaching vehicles to a standstill. He then had the audacity to hoot at me as if it was my fault.

These 10 minutes of idiot overload follow weeks of uneventful, incident free and hassle free cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This was followed immediately by a smidsy from an oriental woman who never even bothered to look my way (until I shouted) as she pulled out of a side road in front of me. At least she put up an apologetic hand to acknowledge her error.

She knew she was wong!

(dah-dum, tish)

Lumen wrote: »

She knew she was wong!

(dah-dum, tish)

And has done wonders for Sino-cyclist relations by acknowledging that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

John Franklin Stephens gives Ann Coulter polite but effective put down:
    http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

CramCycle wrote: »
    John Franklin Stephens gives Ann Coulter polite but effective put down:
    specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

She called Obama a Republican?
    :)

Seriously, she's not worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

This morning, me on bike, I had green light and continued on through the junction, POB on my left at the jctn had red (naturally as I had green) but he decided to continue his turning left manouver into my path. Fortunately I anticipted this idiot not looking at my direction hurtling at him through the junction (if he doesn't look I don't exist, right?!). I informed him calmly that he had a red light, he retorted "really?... blah blah blah". I didn't get the blah blah bit as I was already too far ahead of him.

It's up to us cyclist to give out to those cyclists breaking red people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hungrycol wrote: »
    This morning, me on bike, I had green light and continued on through the junction, POB on my left at the jctn had red (naturally as I had green) but he decided to continue his turning left manouver into my path. Fortunately I anticipted this idiot not looking at my direction hurtling at him through the junction (if he doesn't look I don't exist, right?!). I informed him calmly that he had a red light, he retorted "really?... blah blah blah". I didn't get the blah blah bit as I was already too far ahead of him.

If you're wearing a helmet, I think pulling a Renshaw is fair game. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This morning, me on bike, I had green light and continued on through the junction, POB on my left at the jctn had red (naturally as I had green) but he decided to continue his turning left manouver into my path.

Only POB I know is a Polish bean. What is it to you?

pob.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

POB = Person On a Bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Can anyone recommend a decent bike shop, near enough to Ashbourne, that will supply and fit a headset to a brand new frame and forks on the spot, first thing tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Ritchies in Swords might be worth a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭furiousox

Humphreys in Finglas?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

doozerie wrote: »
    POB = Person On a Bike

Pedestrian on Bike is the usual defenition here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

colm_gti wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent bike shop, near enough to Ashbourne, that will supply and fit a headset to a brand new frame and forks on the spot, first thing tomorrow?
    if its an integrated headset I will do it for you this eve.

bcmf wrote: »
    if its an integrated headset I will do it for you this eve.

Ah dammit, only seeing this now....in the end I decided not to take the day off college, brought the frame and forks in with me and dropped it into the college bike shop to get done, should be ready in half an hour :o

But thanks a mil for the offer, very much appreciated!

PS. On the off chance they don't have a BB tool they can sell me in the bike shop, would you happen to have one of those?

• Advertisement

I have a BBB shimano bb tool that should fit most cups except Campy

Ah dammit, only seeing this now....in the end I decided not to take the day off college, brought the frame and forks in with me and dropped it into the college bike shop to get done, should be ready in half an hour :o

But thanks a mil for the offer, very much appreciated!

PS. On the off chance they don't have a BB tool they can sell me in the bike shop, would you happen to have one of those?

I have a BBB shimano bb tool that should fit most cups except Campy

Internal or external BB?

ext

Internal or external BB?

ext

Ah poop, it's an internal BB and track chainset I've opted for, cheers anyway dude, much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Disappointed to have missed this conference and this presentation.....

Beer after exercise: Yes or no?

".....sixteen healthy young male volunteers, moderate consumers of beer, performed, at 35ºC, two exhausting and dehydrating exercise bouts (60 min running in a treadmill) three weeks apart. After exercise, the subjects rehydrate for 2h, in one occasion only with water and, in the other, first with beer (660 ml) followed by water."

Trinity or DCU need to do a larger study to investigate this further. UCD can't, they've no bar:pac:

"Immediately before and after exercise, and after rehydration, a number of variables that could be influenced by exercise, hydration or alcohol were measured. These variables include: body composition, extended blood and urine analysis, plasma volume, markers of muscle damage and inflammation, immunologic parameters, and psychokinetic assessment (including measurements of coordination, attention, stimuli discrimination, perception-reaction time, and visual field).

In none of these parameters we found neither a specific nor a negative effect that could be attributed to the intake of beer compared to the intake of just water. In conclusion, at least in healthy, young adults, beer in moderate amounts is as effective as water for rehydration and recovery after exercise."

lghr0173+homer-simpson-duff-beer-the-simpsons-poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Didn't have the heart today. Just sighed and confined myself to the notion that we're all doomed to be RLJ's in the eyes of all other road users.

• Advertisement

Just put the first paint chip on my new frame and it hasn't even left the house yet :-/

67FEC2FA-67C0-49A8-A003-3735CEE7B543-31706-000016FBDE7C4536.jpg

At least it's out of the way now I won't be so anal about where I park it when I start commuting...the search begins for a closely matching nail polish....

the search begins for a closely matching nail polish....
    I've heard of people colour coordinating their kit, but matching your fingernails with your bike is a bit much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

this gave me a good laugh when i was flicking through done deal :D
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/4090871

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

can anyone link me to a tube for a 700c hybrid bike on CRC? I think their mobile website is crippled as I can't find half the items I find online till I find an outside link for it if you get me.

cheap and cheerful is fine, with the standard head thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    can anyone link me to a tube for a 700c hybrid bike on CRC? I think their mobile website is crippled as I can't find half the items I find online till I find an outside link for it if you get me.

cheap and cheerful is fine, with the standard head thanks!

Road tubes are here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=2482&SortBy=Price

You haven't said what tyre width or valve type. "Standard head" depends on your perspective. The skinny high pressure ones are called "Presta", the ones on cars and MTBs are called "Schraeder".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement