Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread - Page 123 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-08-2015, 08:41   #1831
Cosmo Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie1977 View Post
took mayo under 21s to all-ireland final in 2001 only to lose to an excellent tyrone side with players that would go on to backbone their senior side for the next decade such as pascal mcconnell, conor gormley, philip jordan, brian mcguigan, kevin hughes, steven o neill and eoin mulligan. cormac mcanallen also started for tyrone that day
That's an awful long time to be going back to find achievements, John O'Mahony won the senior all ireland the same year but I doubt you'd want him as Roscommon manager today. McStay might prove to be the right man if you get him in but, on the face of it, there's little to suggest that he can achieve any more than John Evans, both managers have had similar success at underage and club level. Also, as a Mayo man, the knives will be out even more quickly for McStay if things don't go well at any point.

To be honest, ditching a coach of a young developing team just after getting promotion to Division one doesn't suggest that the supporters in Roscommon will have realistic expectations of a new man coming in.
Advertisement
14-08-2015, 09:39   #1832
TCDStudent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
That's an awful long time to be going back to find achievements, John O'Mahony won the senior all ireland the same year but I doubt you'd want him as Roscommon manager today. McStay might prove to be the right man if you get him in but, on the face of it, there's little to suggest that he can achieve any more than John Evans, both managers have had similar success at underage and club level. Also, as a Mayo man, the knives will be out even more quickly for McStay if things don't go well at any point.

To be honest, ditching a coach of a young developing team just after getting promotion to Division one doesn't suggest that the supporters in Roscommon will have realistic expectations of a new man coming in.
Why would Roscommon fans not want O'Mahony?
14-08-2015, 13:13   #1833
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDStudent1 View Post
Why would Roscommon fans not want O'Mahony?
Look at him most recent managerial experience with Mayo.
Nothing better than a QF loss to a average Meath side, a qualifier loss on Longford in June !

And look at Mayo since, 5 Connacht titles and 5 SF appearance at least.

O Manahoy is from what now could be called a different era of management.
A era where the game was far less technical ad it is now.

Roscommon need some one young. If FOD is available again he should be appointed in the morning
Thanks from:
14-08-2015, 15:05   #1834
padd b1975

I would be fairly certain they will stay inside the county for their next appointment as they have a lot of expense coming up redeveloping Hyde Park.....
14-08-2015, 15:11   #1835
megadodge

I always thought O'Mahoney was an excellent manager, but his last stint over Mayo was a disaster. Anyway, I don't think O'Mahoney would ever manage Roscommon to be honest. Whether anyone wants to hear it or not, he has quite a history of anti-Roscommon bias, so I really don't think he'd be interested.

I'm not sure Fergie will be taking it either. He has other things on his mind at the moment.

By some considerable distance, Kevin McStay was the best manager I worked under (that's not necessarily saying much though). Very organised, very thorough, very knowledgable, positive and in general is very well-liked by players. If you ever listen to his analysis on TV, it's accurate, well-thought out and never ultra-negative. Having said that, I wonder how badly he'd want it, as he only recently went for the Mayo job, which shows where his loyalties still lie. He doesn't strike me as the bitter type who'd like to get one back on the Mayo CB by leading a Ros team to beat them, so I'm far from confident he'd take it.

Who that leaves us I'm not sure, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-08-2015, 22:15   #1836
rossie1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
supporters had nothing to do with evans quitting. the clubs and sponsors were the ones that forced his hand if you believe the rumours that are swirling around.

anyway what are the roscommons supporters realistic ambitions exactly? we haven't even got to a connacht final since 2011 (despite minor/under 21, club and league success during that period) while sligo have gotten to 2 during the same period. speaking of sligo we beat them 6-18 to 12 points in the under 21s this year and that was massively easing off in the second half as we lead 5-9 to 4 points at half time. a number of that sligo under 21 side including the fullback kevin mcdonnell (who was destroyed in the under 21 game) started the senior game then 2 months later and beat us so something is clearly wrong in the senior setup somewhere. btw mcdonnell ended up keeping kilbride scoreless in the senior game..

westmeath in 2003 were in a similar position to us. they had just been promoted to division 1 with a strong underage system in place but had a poor championship outing that year and just like now luke dempsey resigned so its not like this is the first time something like this has happened..
14-08-2015, 23:35   #1837
nice_guy80

Quote:
supporters had nothing to do with evans quitting. the clubs and sponsors were the ones that forced his hand if you believe the rumours that are swirling around.

anyway what are the roscommons supporters realistic ambitions exactly? we haven't even got to a connacht final since 2011 (despite minor/under 21, club and league success during that period) while sligo have gotten to 2 during the same period. speaking of sligo we beat them 6-18 to 12 points in the under 21s this year and that was massively easing off in the second half as we lead 5-9 to 4 points at half time. a number of that sligo under 21 side including the fullback kevin mcdonnell (who was destroyed in the under 21 game) started the senior game then 2 months later and beat us so something is clearly wrong in the senior setup somewhere. btw mcdonnell ended up keeping kilbride scoreless in the senior game..

westmeath in 2003 were in a similar position to us. they had just been promoted to division 1 with a strong underage system in place but had a poor championship outing that year and just like now luke dempsey resigned so its not like this is the first time something like this has happened..
Well, it doesn't help that Kilbride and Murtagh failed fitness tests during the week before the Sligo game, yet Evans started them. A few players on the panel were very disgruntled with starting injured players in a big championship game - and their concerns were borne out. Evans failed to get Roscommon's best 15 on the park v Sligo, Cavan or Fermanagh. In fact, he put on Murtagh v Cavan and he aggravated his injury, thus ruling him out for the Fermanagh game. Where Evans then decided to pull off probably three of the best performing Ros players on the day coming into the last 15 minutes, and then wondered why we collapsed in the final 10 minutes.

GAA managers are judged on championship results and performances. Anyone remember the performance v Armagh in 2014? The one victory on home soil in 2015 (I discount London) was against a 14 man Cavan.

Yes, Mr Evans did very well in the league. in 2015 we still managed to throw away the game v Galway, collapsed v Laois and were gifted a game by the Meath keeper. In the league final Down had a man very harshly sent off to give us a huge advantage.
Thanks from:
15-08-2015, 10:15   #1838
Cosmo Kramer

Quote:

A lot of Roscommon supporters I spoke to wanted him gone. Not all by any means but the Evans out crowd definitely seemed to be in the majority especially after they saw what happened to Sligo against Mayo and Tyrone. Roscommon supporters ambitions - well I was talking to one lad after the league who thought this year was maybe just a year too soon for the All Ireland. I don't think that's the general attitude but I get the impression that many expect a Connacht title next year. That doesn't seem realistic to me at all.

I think that a lot of Roscommon followers overestimate the quality of players they have available at the moment based on the under 21 teams, this attitude has maybe spread to the clubs resulting in Evans' achievements being perceived as more down to the players than him. There is potential there but, on average, Roscommon's displays in the last year are a reflection of where they stand in the game - promotion to division 1 was probably a slight overachievement, losing to Sligo away a slight underachievement. Overall Roscommon sit somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion