Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are SUV's that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hshortt wrote:
    That's nice Anon1, thanks for making me sound like I drive my car to cause injury to people. :rolleyes:

Cheerio,
    Howard

Read what I said again, Howard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Anan1 - read what I said three times already, cars don't kill people!

Good luck,
    Howard

If I didn't know better, Howard, I'd think that you were deliberately trying to make SUV drivers out to be fools...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Wow you boys stay up late to argue about this.
    So we have decided then that there is nothing wrong with small SUV's and its an undeserved bad rep they are getting?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

It's a shame that you are being quite narrow minded about it really, but then there really is no point in discussing matters such as these with people of limited experience. You can't see the wood for all the SUVs in your way :D

Cheers
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dts wrote:
    So we have decided then that there is nothing wrong with small SUV's and its an undeserved bad rep they are getting?:D
    Yeah why not!

Now we just need to understand why people drive big SUVs.
    Oh yeah - because they can. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Anan1 wrote:
    Hi JohnBoy, it's the height of the bonnet. Whereas a pedestrian will tend to be thrown up onto the bonnet of a car, the Range Rover is more likely to smack them down onto the road.

when you get thrown onto the bonnet, the bonnet rapidly caves in and what actually takes the force of the impact is the engine, which is just under the bonnet of the s class. and when you hit the engine, thats when things start to hurt.

when the range rover hits you, there is a good foot of fresh air between you and the hard engine to collapse, hence absorb impact so your more likely to be seriously injured than by the s class, but less likely to die, range rovers are however one of the large offroaders to be hit by and were a pretty bad example :)

On which subject, has anyone read the crash test results for the new Citroen C6? It's the first car to get 4 stars for pedestrian protection. Apparently it has a sensor that opens the bonnet a bit when it hits a pedestrian, thus allowing the bonnet to cushion them away from the engine. Cool or what?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anan1 wrote:
    it has a sensor that opens the bonnet a bit when it hits a pedestrian, thus allowing the bonnet to cushion them away from the engine. Cool or what?
    Are you sure it doesn't open after hitting the pedestrian to get them off your car? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Are you sure it doesn't open after hitting the pedestrian to get them off your car? :D
    LOL ;)
    Haven't read the thread yet but here is my opinion.

European SUVs are no where near the size on the American ones.
    The mid range models are just over grown cars, Santa Fea, Grand Vitara, etc.
    Landcrusier, Range Rover is the way to go.
    Personally, I love them. The extra height makes a difference when it comes to over taking.
    Some of the smaller SUVs are just as economical as large family cars.
    I can see where some people are coming from. SUV are not pedestrian friendly in an accident.
    At times I think jealously is part of the reason some people don't like SUVs

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote:
    LOL ;)
    At times I think jealously is part of the reason some people don't like SUVs

I'm not so sure of that. There are many far more expensive cars than SUVs doing the rounds at the moment, and they don't seem to be attracting anything like the same level of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Couple of points, even though I'm probably repeating what others have said.
    I find it ridiculous that mid range SUV's are being compared to LARGE cars, like the 7 series. The espace vs vitara comparison was skewed by the fact that the vitara was diesel, the espace petrol. No-one in their right mind would buy a petrol espace. So enough of the apples to oranges comparisons.
    Not one of the SUV apologists on this thread has addressed the points raised about handling/braking/aerodynamics. As for economy/emissions - can any of you say that an x5 3.0d is going to be faster than a 530d, or use less fuel?
    Others are clinging to the idea of "I can buy whatever the **** car I want". Sure you can, go right ahead, and **** everything, and everyone else. Its the "I'm alright Jack" attitude, taken onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Gerry wrote:
    I find it ridiculous that mid range SUV's are being compared to LARGE cars, like the 7 series. The espace vs vitara comparison was skewed by the fact that the vitara was diesel, the espace petrol.

This is true if one person was going out buy a car and was choosing between them.

But, they are not being compared in this light. The reason they are both mentioned is this:

A petrol Grand Espace exists. Fact. People own them. Fact
    Nobody gives out about them in terms of their size, weight and economy.

A Diesel 7 seater Grand Vitara existis. Fact. People own them. Fact
    Lots of people give out about them in terms of their size, weight and economy.

But, the Vitara is actually smaller, lighter and more economical. So why is the SUV subject to this attitude, and the bigger, heavier and thirstier MPV isn't.

The only conclusion I can draw is that everyone assumes that SUV owners don't need SUVs, and MPV owners do need MPVs! But, you obviously can't jump to conclusions about a persons requirement for a certain vehicle unless you know that person very well.

So, in conclusion:
    Yes they can be compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Right, answer this so. A single person, or perhaps a couple with no kids. Are they more likely to buy something like a petrol espace, or a midsized SUV? Yes, you guessed right. Lots and lots of people buying SUV's that they can't fill up. And what about smaller suvs? They still have the same efficiency losses compared to a small car, and have **** all storage space. Why not just buy a hatchback car? Not trendy enough?
    You also made the point that people aren't moaning enough about people who drive massive mercs/beemers by themselves. Fair enough, but they have been doing so for years, its a certain type of person that does so, and will always do so. SUV's seem to have a far wider appeal, which is the worrying thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

prospect wrote:
    The only conclusion I can draw is that everyone assumes that SUV owners don't need SUVs, and MPV owners do need MPVs! But, you obviously can't jump to conclusions about a persons requirement for a certain vehicle unless you know that person very well.

The only conclusion I can draw is that everyone will have to agree to differ.

maidhc wrote:
    The only conclusion I can draw is that everyone will have to agree to differ.

True. That said, this thread has confirmed many of my previously-held suspicions regarding the attitudes and values of those who drive SUVs through choice rather than through necessity. For that alone, it's been worth reading for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

should trucks and buses now be banned?

colm_mcm wrote:

That point has been answered sooooo many times in this thread....

ok, sorry. reading all the previous posts is sooooo hard work! the point should be, if you're a driver and care about pedestrian safety you shouldn't crash into them, and if you're a pedestrian who doesn't want to get hit by cars, don't wander onto the road.

The more safety improvements that are made on cars, the more lax peoples attitudes to safety become.

In the late nineties, a number of people with ABS equipped cars were surveyed, among the positive feed back was " it means I can drive 10mph faster on bad roads"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

prospect (not alone), you read like a shill for an SUV manufacturer. ;)

A few points:

SUV v MPV. MPV will often have a lower front with better close up visibility and will strike pedestrians in the legs where as a typical SUV profile will hit the chest. The new Ford (I don't know what its called) will likely hit a pedestrian in the shoulders or head.

How about you compare an SUV with a super-mini. I don't know many 6-year olds on the school run who complain about the leg room in a super-mini.

SUVs and MPVs impair visibility for others, especially pedestrians and cyclists (both of which have an eyeline much higher than a car.)

SUV says "screw you" - so its bound to get a reaction, just like metallic silver merc drivers who drive too close.

Driving little Johnny to school is twice as dangerous as walking him to school.
    prospect wrote:
    But it still doesn't answer the question. No-one seems to be able to give a good valid reason why an SUV (small variant) driver receives this kind of 'bad-press' and yet the owner of the high powered coupe, huge executive car and large people carrier doesn't. They all serve needs, and to me the SUV is not the worst offender.
    Because the SUV is the most obvious target. For an ordinary Joe, its difficult to tell a 1.6L from a 2.4L. It is easy to point out the SUV.
    Why doesn't Mr.Single guy who drives a 2.0L VW Passat not get targetted. He doesn't NEED such a big car? He should have a Smart car, or at a push a Toyota Aygo!!!
    Because he doesn't stand out from the crowd.
    dts wrote:
    But your view will be compramised by a ford transit or even a astra with blacked out windows. A caravan, a horse box, a truck and a tractor so why pick on the SUV?
    Because the public view the transit as a necessity and the Astra doesn't block the view for pedestrians and cyclists.
    dts wrote:
    I think you will find most SUV drivers drive slower than all those little cars.
    I am quite sure this is the driver's perspective only. The closer you are to the road surface, the greater the parallax - hence the buzz of a small sports car.

• Advertisement

hshortt wrote:
    It comes down to choice. It's really that simple. Oh and cars don't kill people!
    So why are the World Health Organisation worried that by 2020 that traffic will have as great an impact on human health as HIV / AIDS?
    JohnBoy wrote:
    why is the range rover more likely to kill than the s class?

is it the weight, the height of the bonnet, what?
    Primarily point of impact, a higher point of impact means greater injury to the cheast and head.
    dts wrote:
    Witch would you rather be hit by a bike or a bus? Same argument?
    But look at the number of people that buses and bikes kill. A bus displaces a huge number of other vehicles from the road, generally travels at a lower speed with a professional driver who isn't a stressed out eejit racing to his next meeting while talking on the phone.

Bikes hardly kill anyone - in 5 years bicycle-pedestrian accidents killed two people compared to over 500 for motor-pedestrian deaths.
    hshortt wrote:
    That's nice Anon1, thanks for making me sound like I drive my car to cause injury to people.
    You do. You are just so ignorant and obnoxious with your ambivalent attitude as to whether a particular vehicle is more dangerous than another.

People don't kill people. Ambivalance kills people.

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm not so sure of that. There are many far more expensive cars than SUVs doing the rounds at the moment, and they don't seem to be attracting anything like the same level of criticism.
    For a given price range a car is always safer than an SUV.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    For the amount they carry trucks and buses kill far fewer people and pollute less. They aren't perfect, but they are much better.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    ok, sorry. reading all the previous posts is sooooo hard work! the point should be, if you're a driver and care about pedestrian safety you shouldn't crash into them, and if you're a pedestrian who doesn't want to get hit by cars, don't wander onto the road.
    You can tell people not to run into things, but that doesn't account for human circumstance or genuine accident.

What about the pedestrians that are run down when they are still on the footpath?
    colm_mcm wrote:
    The more safety improvements that are made on cars, the more lax peoples attitudes to safety become. In the late nineties, a number of people with ABS equipped cars were surveyed, among the positive feed back was " it means I can drive 10mph faster on bad roads"
    Yes, its a problem, but one that needs to be address through mostly other means.

Wow is this SUV bashing still going?
    There is nothing wrong in having an SUV, it didnt enter my head when buying one if it would pose a greater threat to anyone around me. Sadly in this country the state of the roads and the way people drive you have to put yourself first. I probably have the greater chance of winning the lottery than killing someone with my SUV.
    How many people were killed by SUV's last year? Of the top of my head I dont remember one in Ireland, if there was then it wasnt big news.
    Also what about the fact that an SUV can drive over someone without touching them wher a car will crush there body as it rolls under?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I saw this pedestrian friendly SUV on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

dts wrote:
    Wow is this SUV bashing still going?
    There is nothing wrong in having an SUV, it didnt enter my head when buying one if it would pose a greater threat to anyone around me. Sadly in this country the state of the roads and the way people drive you have to put yourself first. I probably have the greater chance of winning the lottery than killing someone with my SUV.
    How many people were killed by SUV's last year? Of the top of my head I dont remember one in Ireland, if there was then it wasnt big news.
    Also what about the fact that an SUV can drive over someone without touching them wher a car will crush there body as it rolls under?

I wouldn't believe the last line of what you wrote! Have you seen the ground clearance on a Range Rover Sport?? Back to jeep accidents. Wasn't there that big one outside Dundalk invoving a BMW X5? Or how about these ones:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3864651.stm (read the last line)

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2002/08/06/story640035575.asp

I don't think that SUV's are necessarily prone to accidents (if driven correctly) it is normally that they cause more injury and death if involved in an accident.

There is the big problem with the attidude of SUV drivers (generally those who don't use them in the course of their business) and there is no doubt that they consume more fuel and resources than a similarily priced and engined passenger vehicle. In the US, they are considering upping the premiums for SUV drivers because accidents involving SUV's tend to be more severe (for the other party).

dts wrote:

Are you for real??:D

Anan1 wrote:
    Are you for real??:D

I thought it was a good point.
    So out of the 400 plus deaths on the road last yer you found two or three relating to SUV's. Thats hardly a good reason to not want them on the roads.
    My 2.2 xtrail has better economy than my 1.8 Alfa156 so dont think that a good argument either.
    As for the insurance, it should be less as there is less damage to fix on the vehicle if hit by a car. You assume the SUV to always be the one in the wrong!

dts wrote:
    I thought it was a good point.

And why exactly would a pedestrian be lying flat between the wheels of a moving SUV in the first place??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Here's another

• Advertisement

joolsveer. these bullbars you show aren't original manufacturers, they're spurious parts. what has this got to do with whether SUV's are safe. you can fit a bull bar to anything

Advertisement